Author Topic: Plasma and LCD: Best of past and present  (Read 521 times)

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
Plasma and LCD: Best of past and present
« on: Mar 13, 2011 at 05:34 PM »
I've always been asked to rate the different plasma and LCD models I've reviewed from past to present and how they contrast from one another.

Do note my 1st experience with HDTV was in Japan, when I was invited over by friends of my wife to check out the Panasonic 42PX500. I was floored by the fact that it looked like a huge CRT (PQ wise) with nice colors and a sharper picture, although I thought it was a bit dark. That was way back in 2006, fast forward to somewhere in 2007 late or early 2008. When I plucked out hard earned dough for a Samsung 40M8 FULLHD LCD.

Mind you...They were very expensive then, and I was not too happy about my purchase. The Sammy was sharp, but it was overly bright and the colors were a bit pale and off.

The quest led to to a Panasonic L8 to LX80 LCD models til I was able to "settle" down to a PV70/PV80 combo.

Now, here is my list of the best plasma models from the past to the present. If you encounter some of these old models in the market place, no need to send me a PM. The post was meant to give you an idea of how they rank in my book.

1)Pioneer Kuro/Kuro Elite
-Still to this very day, the bar being used by enthusisasts to measure picture quality. Deep blacks, accurate colors and the best TV for movies.
2)Panasonic V20
-The best looking Panasonic  FULLHD plasma I've seen! Great colors, sharp pictures, and drop dead gorgeous blacks. The only quirks would be very mild contrast fluctuations, and a somewhat high sensitivity to image retention.
3)Panasonic U20/X20/C10
-Let's face it! I love reflective screens and these models are nearly equal! I'd even take the 720p X20 and C10 over most FULLHD LCD models out there! Accurate colors and a glossy picture definition rounds up a very impressive performance.
4)Panasonic PV8/PV80/PV70
-2008 was a great year for plasma and these models are legends from point A to point B. Faring better than most of the newer models I've tested - When it comes down to picture quality! If you own these kids, I suggest you keep them with you...They can still go toe in toe with the best of what other technologies have to offer.

Notable mention:

LG 32PC5RV
-Yes, there was a 32 inch plasma model from LG, though it was not HD by the numbers. It was one of the best for cable and dvd back then.

Models that drew a somewhat disappointing flare:

1)Panasonic S10
2)Panasonic PY800

I'll explain them later, and I'll also post the wonder boys of LCD.

May I invite others to give their own list of the finest from past to the present