Author Topic: Understanding Amplifier & Receiver Power Specifications  (Read 7981 times)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Understanding Amplifier & Receiver Power Specifications
« on: Apr 29, 2011 at 05:51 AM »
this is a good link to try to learn about amplifier specs:

http://www.ecoustics.com/tl/10309/
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Understanding Amplifier & Receiver Power Specifications
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 06:22 AM »
Is it true that if you have a high power amp mas malakas sa Kuryente? Kasi i'm seeing amps rated 110 pero mababa yung power consumption agains good amps rated 80 watts pero mas mataas kumain nang kuryente against dun sa amp na rated 110?
Walang Setup

Offline Cosmic79

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 07:14 AM »
Is it true that if you have a high power amp mas malakas sa Kuryente? Kasi i'm seeing amps rated 110 pero mababa yung power consumption agains good amps rated 80 watts pero mas mataas kumain nang kuryente against dun sa amp na rated 110?

My friend told me na depende daw sa watts ng power supply at if you always play your amp in very high volumes. If you play at low volumes it won't consume that much electricity.
Audio Hobbyist

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 07:29 AM »
My friend told me na depende daw sa watts ng power supply at if you always play your amp in very high volumes. If you play at low volumes it won't consume that much electricity.

I mean just by looking at the manufacturers specs makikita mo na kasi dun yung power consumption and i wonder why there are amps with low power rating pero mataas ang naka indicate na consumption while there are amps na ang taas nang power rating pero mababa yung naka indicate na consumption...

Is weight also a factor of a good amp? Kasi i also notice na there are amps na ang taas nang pwer rating pero magaan tapos meron namang mababa rating pero ang bigat...
Walang Setup

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 07:46 AM »
The weight is normally indicative of the mass of the magnetics.  Loosely speaking, the bigger the magnetic mass the "beefier" the amp will be though potential for losses may be greater.  Personally, I give a heavy amp more points than a lighter one.  From a cost point of view, designers try to minimize mass and everyday new techniques are being invented to get more for less - read more performance, less mass, less electricity, less money.  More often than not though doing so makes things more complicated.

It is just that some designs are more energy efficient than other Bro.  The switching types are generally the more efficient, while the linear types are generally the most power hungry.
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 08:48 AM »

depende nga sa amp, if using tube amps, you can be burning up to 100 watts just powerng up you amp and not playing music.....

with ss amps, about less than 1/4 of that at idle...

class A amps have an efficiency of about 25%, so an idle wattage of 100 watts only results in 25 watts delivered to the load..

Class AB and B amps have higher efficiencies of up to 70%

Clas AB amps have a classA window, that's why the AB tag...

ClassD and T have efficiencies of up to 90%....

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 08:50 AM »

power ratings of amplifiers are tested using sine waves.......music is nowhere near a sine wave, it is a collection of sines and resulting wave is unrecogniseable....

so much so that a power rating of 400 watts does not translate to power consumtion of 400 watts...

energy content of music is very very low....

Offline Cosmic79

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 10:08 AM »
power ratings of amplifiers are tested using sine waves.......music is nowhere near a sine wave, it is a collection of sines and resulting wave is unrecogniseable....

so much so that a power rating of 400 watts does not translate to power consumtion of 400 watts...

energy content of music is very very low....

Thanks Sir TonyT for the inputs. I also had a guess that music does not consume that much wattage.
Audio Hobbyist

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 11:49 AM »
with solid state, power is simple to understand, but with tubes, it is a different ballgame....

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 01:42 PM »
Hi Tony.  Why do you say that power is simple to understand in solid state devices as compared to vacuum tubes?   It been a long time since I've seen vacuum tube equations but if I remember correctly they are simpler than the equations for solid state devices, so I'd assume the opposite.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 03:20 PM »
Noob question on AV receiver let say i have a 7.1 channel receiver.

If im playing music @2 channel stereo at -xx volume, mas malakas ba sa kuryente if im playing it using 7 channel stereo at same -xx volume?
Walang Setup

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 03:29 PM »
Noob question on AV receiver let say i have a 7.1 channel receiver.

If im playing music @2 channel stereo at -xx volume, mas malakas ba sa kuryente if im playing it using 7 channel stereo at same -xx volume?

I think so brader. Because the additional channels will draw power from the receiver thus adding load to the receiver. As far as I know, sa any electrical equipment basta nag add ka ng load will translate to additional power consumption.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 03:30 PM »
I think so brader. Because the additional channels will draw power from the receiver thus adding load to the receiver. As far as I know, sa any electrical equipment basta nag add ka ng load will translate to additional power consumption.

If thats the case mag 2 channel stereo listening na lang ako ha ha ha ha.. Taas nang kuryente ko eh  ;D
Walang Setup

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 03:42 PM »
Hi Tony.  Why do you say that power is simple to understand in solid state devices as compared to vacuum tubes?   It been a long time since I've seen vacuum tube equations but if I remember correctly they are simpler than the equations for solid state devices, so I'd assume the opposite.

solid state amplifiers do not have output transformers, this output transformer is not flat from 20 hz to 20khz......while power into 1khz can be 50 watts, at 20hz this is lower because of transformer saturation, inductance is lower at lower frequencies...at the higher frequencies of say 20khz, leakage inductance and parasitic capacitance is the response killer...so tube amps specs should always have a frequency refference..
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2011 at 03:43 PM by TonyT »

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 04:19 PM »
that's one good thing with direct coupled otl/ocl solid state amps

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 05:11 PM »
Fantastic answer, bro.  I can see how the magnetics can complicate the power situation for tube amps.
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 06:40 PM »
meron din naman na otl na tubed amps.....:)

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 06:47 PM »
Common cathode?
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2011 at 07:57 PM »
meron din naman na otl na tubed amps.....:)

oo nga but no thanks, I'd rather stick with the transformered ones

Offline lncc63

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
RX-V3800
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline Zexadron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011 at 03:58 PM »
Thanks a lot sa information bro. madami talagang na mislead sa rating ng audio power amplifier. me nakalagay 550 watts per channel. sa ganito kasing power malaking transformer ang gagamitin at mabigat. so na curious ako kung ano talaga ang circuit sa loob. nakita ko output transistor. 2SC5198. sa data book ang collector power ng transistor ay 100 watts maximum.

Offline jbl4311

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011 at 04:23 PM »
Sir tony thanks for the info pero may questions pa din, regarding speaker ohm and amp ohm compatibility. There are speakers w 4 ohm specs, but needs at least 30 watts of power, minimum. If my amp does not have a 4 ohm tap, but runs at 30 watts class A, 120 watts class AB , di ba mahihirapan ang amp ko kung i drive nya ang 4 ohm spearker?
To be specific, what specs of amp will you recommend for magneplanar 1.7 w 4 ohm load.
Thank you neighbor!

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011 at 08:08 PM »
Sir tony thanks for the info pero may questions pa din, regarding speaker ohm and amp ohm compatibility. There are speakers w 4 ohm specs, but needs at least 30 watts of power, minimum. If my amp does not have a 4 ohm tap, but runs at 30 watts class A, 120 watts class AB , di ba mahihirapan ang amp ko kung i drive nya ang 4 ohm spearker?
To be specific, what specs of amp will you recommend for magneplanar 1.7 w 4 ohm load.
Thank you neighbor!

if you are apprehensive about your amp not being able to sustain a 4 ohm load, then my recommendation would be to use an 8ohm to 4 ohm matching transformer, this way your speakers will be happy and your amp safe....

but as for me, any amp specified for 30 watts classA and 120watts AB should have no problem driving a 4 ohm load......

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011 at 08:14 PM »
Thanks a lot sa information bro. madami talagang na mislead sa rating ng audio power amplifier. me nakalagay 550 watts per channel. sa ganito kasing power malaking transformer ang gagamitin at mabigat. so na curious ako kung ano talaga ang circuit sa loob. nakita ko output transistor. 2SC5198. sa data book ang collector power ng transistor ay 100 watts maximum.

so maraming output trannies yung amp mo? device power rating does not relate to power output in a one to one correspondence....

output power capability is related to rail voltage, the higher the rail voltage, the higher the power, since the ac voltage that can be developed is higher...

a 40% increase in output voltage doubles the power for the same 8ohm load say....

Offline mholtz2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011 at 03:04 AM »
this is a good link to try to learn about amplifier specs:

http://www.ecoustics.com/tl/10309/

Helpful information... many thanks sir

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011 at 07:45 AM »
lately nagiging concern ko na rin to when buying gears dahil nga sa mahal ng kuryente. what could be the best option to for a decent stereo system (tube vs vintage vs modern ss vs tri path etc)? right now nasa research mode pa lang ako and i'm looking to put up a great sounding setup that's also energy efficient

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011 at 08:53 AM »
lately nagiging concern ko na rin to when buying gears dahil nga sa mahal ng kuryente. what could be the best option to for a decent stereo system (tube vs vintage vs modern ss vs tri path etc)? right now nasa research mode pa lang ako and i'm looking to put up a great sounding setup that's also energy efficient
for me the most energy efficient sound setup is a decent portable media player and a nice set of cans.  ;D
a small amp driving high sensitivity speakers comes in second.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Online Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011 at 08:56 AM »

Class D amp with sensitive and high impedance speakers might give you the best energy efficiency.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011 at 08:57 AM by Stagea »