Author Topic: Why do we need NMTs?  (Read 8909 times)

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Why do we need NMTs?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011 at 12:43 AM »
I am currently streaming (wireless) shows (SD and HD) from my computer to my Samsung TV. There are times that I need to fast forward or rewind but  it can sometimes be a slow process. My question is will the NMT buffer the stream so fast forward or rewind can be faster? I know wireless is not ideal but if its this case will an NMT improve my viewing experience? Another thing if the NMT buffers, then do I need a hard drive in the NMT?

Thanks

Seek function is one thing that i love with my R200. You can fast forward or rewind upto 32x. You can even specify a specific minutes or seconds you wanted to go forward or back. You can also use the up and down button instead of typing the numbers, in hour minutes and seconds.. Very very cool and convenient IMO..
Walang Setup

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011 at 09:40 AM »
The bottleneck is always the network ... unless you use some very old hardware for the NAS.   I sincerely doubt any wireless network can stream perfectly.  I tried it with our Xtreamers and failed miserably.   It wasn't the NAS or the Xtreamer because when connected via a wired LAN it was flawless.

I agree that the NAS should be near your router/modem - its more reliable.  Also, you can put them on a UPS.  The Internet connection is a big cost that should be maximized.

Its really a hassle to put a wired LAN but IMHO its worth it.  Wireless is ok for mobile devices and browse-only desktops. 

While at it, new routers have 1GBps switch, wire up your storage there, and your top x clients. For wifi up to  720p stream kaya, but do keep in mind the bandwidth it needs.

Compounded with wifi client's signal strength + radio interference present, it  is not safe to assume  kaya 802.11n runs on top speed 100%.

:)

Jim

toy

Offline strummsteel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011 at 11:04 AM »
I just bought an apple time capsule with 1tb hard drive built in. Also it has a USB port that allows me to add more storage.

I wonder how I can share its hard drive to my pch. Bonjour/AFP networking. I think it also allows SAMBA how do I do this?

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011 at 11:20 AM »
I just bought an apple time capsule with 1tb hard drive built in. Also it has a USB port that allows me to add more storage.

I wonder how I can share its hard drive to my pch. Bonjour/AFP networking. I think it also allows SAMBA how do I do this?

In PCH, you should have a Network menu to discover your lan. call your vendor for help on this.

If apple capsule has SMB, you need to set the IP and workgroup. If you are on DHCP, reserve the IP for the apple capsule and your R200(ops) PCH ka nga pala :)
toy

Offline j0hans0n

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • _____ally-challenged =|
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011 at 04:36 PM »
The bottleneck is always the network ... unless you use some very old hardware for the NAS.   I sincerely doubt any wireless network can stream perfectly.  I tried it with our Xtreamers and failed miserably.   It wasn't the NAS or the Xtreamer because when connected via a wired LAN it was flawless.

I agree that the NAS should be near your router/modem - its more reliable.  Also, you can put them on a UPS.  The Internet connection is a big cost that should be maximized.

Its really a hassle to put a wired LAN but IMHO its worth it.  Wireless is ok for mobile devices and browse-only desktops. 

I shall think of how to wire it. I do not know if kayang dumaan ng kisame. I'll ask my people. Kasi kung through windows I might consume a box of outdoor stp. :D

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011 at 04:49 PM »
Yep always worth the investment to wire it directly.

No more issues kahit pa dumating panahon you will have to stream 4k Video streams (3D Bluray).

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011 at 05:01 PM »
Yung mga nagpapagawa ng bahay, treat home network wiring similar to electrical wiring, run the wires behind or along the walls, or under a free access floor, and install a LAN outlet in all rooms.

Or buy more broadband LAN/routers (1 or 2 per floor level depende sa laki ng bahay) and configure some as access points or repeaters or relays or boosters or whatever you want to call it.  That should work well.

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011 at 07:47 PM »
Wireless is ok when it is direct line-of-site AND there are no other devices, yours or your neighbor's, competing for the bandwidth.  All manufacturers will not tell you that their speed ratings are under optimum conditions which more and more are less frequent - a few years ago we had ZERO Wifi devices, today the MAC address filter table in our router is nearly full. 

Oh yeah for maximum throughput you want to turn off all encryption - not really a good idea.   
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011 at 08:26 PM »
Yung mga nagpapagawa ng bahay, treat home network wiring similar to electrical wiring, run the wires behind or along the walls, or under a free access floor, and install a LAN outlet in all rooms.

Or buy more broadband LAN/routers (1 or 2 per floor level depende sa laki ng bahay) and configure some as access points or repeaters or relays or boosters or whatever you want to call it.  That should work well.

Tumpak, yan ang ginawa ko sa ongoing extension (2 rooms for kids), kaso mo loko tong electrician ko, after having all the pullwires set, di nya maalala san yung mga dulo. sarap sipain! ayun 3 araw siyang inabot mag wiring :)  Kinulit ko pang mag label, sinisi yung pintor at pininturahan daw yung sinulat nya sa pader! comedy talaga.
toy

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Jun 04, 2011 at 03:55 PM »
hi Furry,
with all suggestions considered here, mind sharing what NMT you decided on?
toy

Offline Furry

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Jun 06, 2011 at 02:36 PM »
hi Furry,
with all suggestions considered here, mind sharing what NMT you decided on?

Hi sir Jim, sensya na for the late feedback and i've been either too busy at work or too busy watching HD movies sa eGreat R200 ko :)

As you all know, i started this thread kasi hindi ko talaga maintindihan bakit kailangan ng NMT when your tv can play movies through its USB port via hard disk. Now, I'm a full convert and believer of my first Media Tank and decided to get the eGreat R200 PRO. Gone are the days of worrying where a movie file will not be able to play.

After much research and reading, I was initially set to buy a Kaiboer 1055+ since the internal SATA was indeed a must-have and the price really meets my need budget wise. I was a bit hesitant to invest on my first NMT kaya tipid-meal mode lang muna ako before  ::)

Now I am 100% happy that I invested and got an eGreat R200 PRO instead. Initially, I was just considering the R6B but then thought that I'll eventually buy a hard disk anyway. The internal SATA was a plus to me since data transfer should be faster directly from the SATA interface instead of via USB and I wanted to have a dedicated HD for movies only. I recently heard some issues about the Kaiboer as well of not playing AVI files properly or some selected formats. I never had any issues with the eGREAT at all since the first few weeks that i've owned one.

Here's my newbie review and take note that I don't have any other NMTs to compare it to:

1. PQ = top notch for me and really loving HD movies from 720p to 1080p!

2. Menu Interface (GUI) = to be honest, i was quite disappointed in the beginning since it wasn't very catchy to the eye. Simple lang yun menu but as I was using it more, it's just what I need to get things done with my NMT and love it's simplicity right now. Nothing fancy and the basics can get you with most of what you need. I also like the File Manager and i can transfer/delete/copy files on the fly with just the NMT. The menu speed is very responsive after the initial detection of the hard drives and wifi device. The only downside is that I can't immediately access my internal hard disk upon boot up and it takes around 20 seconds in total siguro from the boot-up logo up to the HDD+wifi detection. After that, everything is smooth sailing.

3. Looks and Build = Pogi factor talaga! The metal brushed black aluminum is really gorgeous. Very solid build and professional looking. Pati yun mga may owners ng WD Live, napahanga nun nakita ito.. hehe!

4. Remote Control = Very useful and highly responsive. I like how it controls the movie playback with the directional buttons and range of the remote control is quite effective (P.S. wala din interference with my LG TV) :)

5. Audio Quality = quite good but i think i'm going to need external speakers later on to maximize it. For now kasi all audio is through my TV's speaker via HDMI. The remote control's audio controls make up for it though and it's easy to adjust while watching a movie. Hassle lang when i switch Input from HDMI back to TV, i have to lower the TV volume since i have to crank it up a bit to get audible sound quality from the movie while using a NMT. This is directly comparing it when i play back movies directly from my TV's USB port, it's definitely louder than using an HDMI going to the NMT.

6. WiFi = I still need to play around with this more but i was able to transfer files from my computer to the NMT. I also tried the BT client but for some reason, my downloads of greater than 150mb+ did not finish but the others did. There is still one setting I'd like to try within the NMT BT menu so that it doesn't stop trying to download if there are no seeds or something. I initially thought of not needing the WiFi feature but starting to find it more useful as I learn more about the NMT features and uses.

7. Tech Support = 10/10! Being a first time NMT owner, lahat ng mga questions at kakulitan ko sinagot ni Jim.. hehe :) That itself speaks a lot for the aftersales support on this product.

8. Other features I like:
  • Resume Playback of movies
  • Optical and Coax output - for future HT expansion with an AVR
  • Power On/Off Switch

9. Mga wish list on the next firmware version siguro:
  • Faster boot up and detection of HDD. Medyo nabibitin ako when i boot i up and see the HDD menu, i press it and hindi pa lumalabas yun hard drive
  • The ability to search for movie title using the keypad on the remote. For now i just use the page up/down function
  • Better LCD status indicator. Hindi ko naiintindihan yun nakasulat minsan sa LCD panel eh.. hehe

That's all for now! I really like my eGreat NMT and happy with it! Happy shopping!

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Jun 06, 2011 at 02:43 PM »
Hi sir Jim, sensya na for the late feedback and i've been either too busy at work or too busy watching HD movies sa eGreat R200 ko :)

As you all know, i started this thread kasi hindi ko talaga maintindihan bakit kailangan ng NMT when your tv can play movies through its USB port via hard disk. Now, I'm a full convert and believer of my first Media Tank and decided to get the eGreat R200 PRO. Gone are the days of worrying where a movie file will not be able to play.

After much research and reading, I was initially set to buy a Kaiboer 1055+ since the internal SATA was indeed a must-have and the price really meets my need budget wise. I was a bit hesitant to invest on my first NMT kaya tipid-meal mode lang muna ako before  ::)

Now I am 100% happy that I invested and got an eGreat R200 PRO instead. Initially, I was just considering the R6B but then thought that I'll eventually buy a hard disk anyway. The internal SATA was a plus to me since data transfer should be faster directly from the SATA interface instead of via USB and I wanted to have a dedicated HD for movies only. I recently heard some issues about the Kaiboer as well of not playing AVI files properly or some selected formats. I never had any issues with the eGREAT at all since the first few weeks that i've owned one.

Here's my newbie review and take note that I don't have any other NMTs to compare it to:

1. PQ = top notch for me and really loving HD movies from 720p to 1080p!

2. Menu Interface (GUI) = to be honest, i was quite disappointed in the beginning since it wasn't very catchy to the eye. Simple lang yun menu but as I was using it more, it's just what I need to get things done with my NMT and love it's simplicity right now. Nothing fancy and the basics can get you with most of what you need. I also like the File Manager and i can transfer/delete/copy files on the fly with just the NMT. The menu speed is very responsive after the initial detection of the hard drives and wifi device. The only downside is that I can't immediately access my internal hard disk upon boot up and it takes around 20 seconds in total siguro from the boot-up logo up to the HDD+wifi detection. After that, everything is smooth sailing.

3. Looks and Build = Pogi factor talaga! The metal brushed black aluminum is really gorgeous. Very solid build and professional looking. Pati yun mga may owners ng WD Live, napahanga nun nakita ito.. hehe!

4. Remote Control = Very useful and highly responsive. I like how it controls the movie playback with the directional buttons and range of the remote control is quite effective (P.S. wala din interference with my LG TV) :)

5. Audio Quality = quite good but i think i'm going to need external speakers later on to maximize it. For now kasi all audio is through my TV's speaker via HDMI. The remote control's audio controls make up for it though and it's easy to adjust while watching a movie. Hassle lang when i switch Input from HDMI back to TV, i have to lower the TV volume since i have to crank it up a bit to get audible sound quality from the movie while using a NMT. This is directly comparing it when i play back movies directly from my TV's USB port, it's definitely louder than using an HDMI going to the NMT.

6. WiFi = I still need to play around with this more but i was able to transfer files from my computer to the NMT. I also tried the BT client but for some reason, my downloads of greater than 150mb+ did not finish but the others did. There is still one setting I'd like to try within the NMT BT menu so that it doesn't stop trying to download if there are no seeds or something. I initially thought of not needing the WiFi feature but starting to find it more useful as I learn more about the NMT features and uses.

7. Tech Support = 10/10! Being a first time NMT owner, lahat ng mga questions at kakulitan ko sinagot ni Jim.. hehe :) That itself speaks a lot for the aftersales support on this product.

8. Other features I like:
  • Resume Playback of movies
  • Optical and Coax output - for future HT expansion with an AVR
  • Power On/Off Switch

9. Mga wish list on the next firmware version siguro:
  • Faster boot up and detection of HDD. Medyo nabibitin ako when i boot i up and see the HDD menu, i press it and hindi pa lumalabas yun hard drive
  • The ability to search for movie title using the keypad on the remote. For now i just use the page up/down function
  • Better LCD status indicator. Hindi ko naiintindihan yun nakasulat minsan sa LCD panel eh.. hehe

That's all for now! I really like my eGreat NMT and happy with it! Happy shopping!

Congrats on your R200... Maganda talaga yan brader..
Walang Setup

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #42 on: Jun 06, 2011 at 07:43 PM »
you only need an nmt if you're a pirate. arrr!

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #43 on: Jun 06, 2011 at 10:10 PM »
you only need an nmt if you're a pirate. arrr!

Buti na lang, dibidi player ang nabili ko...

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 04:02 AM »
Buti na lang, dibidi player ang nabili ko...

Ako  VHS tsaka betamax Ang primary cOllection ko, at 2 rewinder na hugis kotse. Meron din yun hdmi at optical out, kaya puede pa rin sa lcd tv. (jok!)
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2011 at 06:57 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 06:58 AM »
thanks.

Yes the R200 UI menu is very simple and responsive. From personal experience, with NMT supporting list and coverart, while i use coverart initially, i go back to list mode, page up/page down or single item up/down works for me.

R200 quick bootup owes partly to the fact the Device detection (int. HDD and wifi modules) are deferred, but i'll mention it to them as feedback.

Waiting ako feedback from egreat on when they will release the update for R200 fw, i think they are making some effort to jazz it up and some improvements.

« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2011 at 07:06 AM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 01:19 PM »
R200 quick bootup owes partly to the fact the Device detection (int. HDD and wifi modules) are deferred, but i'll mention it to them as feedback.
Waiting ako feedback from egreat on when they will release the update for R200 fw, i think they are making some effort to jazz it up and some improvements.

Sana, sana meron soon :) thanks Jim!

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #47 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 02:07 PM »
I have saved a lot of money by owning an NMT...
And nai-maximize ko pa ang capability ng DSL ko na dati ay natutulog lang...

If someone would ask me kung ano magandang simula sa HT,
I'd recommend an NMT agad, maiwasan na nya ang clutter ng DVDs and BDs...

Cheers...

Offline vortex1

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #48 on: Jun 07, 2011 at 02:57 PM »
X2, well said bro. nasulit ko rin DSL ko because of this.

but I'll still collect BDs, iba pa rin ang may special features. masyadong bland or boring kung movie na lang palagi ang pinapanood ko. and part of hobby ko talaga ang collecting so kelangan ko pa rin nung "Hardware". iba pa rin talaga yung may kinukuha ka sa shelf and choosing what to watch.

it's like e-book vs The real Books.  ;D

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jun 08, 2011 at 01:59 AM »
X2, well said bro. nasulit ko rin DSL ko because of this.

but I'll still collect BDs, iba pa rin ang may special features. masyadong bland or boring kung movie na lang palagi ang pinapanood ko. and part of hobby ko talaga ang collecting so kelangan ko pa rin nung "Hardware". iba pa rin talaga yung may kinukuha ka sa shelf and choosing what to watch.

it's like e-book vs The real Books.  ;D

brader vortex1, maganda ding mag backup ng collection mo ng BD. if you want 100% experience ng BD in the NMT, then djan papasok yung BD full navigation capability ng mga higher end NMTs/Media Players.

Si Popcorn at Egreat (s800 and S100), to name a few, has full BD full menu navigation capability. 

You never have to make a choice between BD and NMT as they compliment.

Having an NMT to keeps  your BD collection fresh dahil once ripped on BD25/BD50 BD.iso, you'll seldom use your BD media again, backup na lang sa NMT with full menu navigation. each disk is ~ 40GB so you can fit approx 40+ titles in a 2TB disk.

toy

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jun 08, 2011 at 02:03 AM »
brader vortex1, maganda ding mag backup ng collection mo ng BD. if you want 100% experience ng BD in the NMT, then djan papasok yung BD full navigation capability ng mga higher end NMTs/Media Players.

Si Popcorn at Egreat (s800 and S100), to name a few, has full BD full menu navigation capability. 

You never have to make a choice between BD and NMT as they compliment.

Having an NMT to keeps  your BD collection fresh dahil once ripped on BD25/BD50 BD.iso, you'll seldom use your BD media again, backup na lang sa NMT with full menu navigation. each disk is ~ 40GB so you can fit approx 40+ titles in a 2TB disk.

I love the BD FUll Menu capability... ;)
Walang Setup

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jun 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM »
Guys, how's your BT download experience with your NMTs? I'm finding the eGreat not so great on this part and it randomly stops. Ganito rin ba yun sa ibang NMTs and hindi pa talaga stable ang mga BT Neighbor client for downloads? Still waiting for toys4geeks to have an update on the firmware but was wondering if other NMTs are handling this pretty well.

Nanghihinayang lang ako sa kuryente and when i check the status, naka-stop na pala ulit yun BT service and have to run it again to resume downloading.

Offline boing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #52 on: Jun 20, 2011 at 12:08 PM »
Kasi walang USB ang TV ko at walang kang makikitang HTPC na nasa P2500  :)