Author Topic: Why do we need NMTs?  (Read 8894 times)

Offline Furry

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Why do we need NMTs?
« on: May 03, 2011 at 02:06 PM »
Hello Pdvd! I'm still trying to learn more about NMTs and was really curious why do we need them? Is it because not all LED/LCD TVs built-in USB port supports all video codec/audio formats? I know for one that LG doesn't decode DTS so it makes sense to get an external NMT like WD Live or Xtreamer.

But for those that have Samsung or possibly other TVs that can decode most file formats, i'm curious to know why you still need a NMT and why not just plug your external HD directly? It's still on HDMI format right? Is the main purpose for separating the audio out into 5.1/6.1 through external speakers?

Thanks for your help :) naninibago pa ako sa NMT technology and i even don't know if buying a WD Live or Xtreamer already comes with a HDMI cable. Isa pa yun, I'm trying to figure out what HDMI cable would be best for such players?

Offline motion55

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Why do we need NMTs?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011 at 03:03 PM »
The keyword in NMT is found in the first letter - NETWORK. If you need to play media from a network, you need an NMT or a LCDTV that is network capable. If you don't plan to play/access networked media in your home then you don't need it. A simple media player like the Kaiboer H1055 will do or you can rely on your Samsung LCDTV that plays media from the USB port.

Don't buy an NMT if you don't need it. Products and their features are rapidly changing. Today's pricey models become cheap & obsolete very quickly. Try selling them in the market place.

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011 at 03:49 PM »
^

Thanks sir! Yun pala yun and siguro mga WD Live pwede na pala sa akin. Agree ako dyan that technology gets better and yun mga mahal ngayon biglang bagsakan ng price. I'm still into research mode muna and not in hurry to get one. Na-frustrate lang bigla when i tried to play an M4V file sa LG ko and hindi gumana.. hahaha!

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011 at 04:20 PM »
And that will start your never-ending journey/quest to find the perfect media player...  ;D

Which is impossible...  :D
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011 at 06:19 PM »
And that will start your never-ending journey/quest to find the perfect media player...  ;D

Which is impossible...  :D

hahaha! I was afraid of that. Maybe i should have changed the title to why do we need external media players instead of just using the LCD TVs built-in player :)

I'm just trying to find out if everyone will eventually end up to buying an external player regardless if their TV can play the different file formats or not.

Review and never-ending research mode again :)

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 814
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011 at 06:42 PM »
hahaha! I was afraid of that. Maybe i should have changed the title to why do we need external media players instead of just using the LCD TVs built-in player :)

I'm just trying to find out if everyone will eventually end up to buying an external player regardless if their TV can play the different file formats or not.

Review and never-ending research mode again :)

The TV built-in player is kinda like for beginners. It has basic but limited functions. If you value the audio part of the movies you'll eventually have an NMT that plugs into an AV receiver.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011 at 06:57 PM »
The TV built-in player is kinda like for beginners. It has basic but limited functions. If you value the audio part of the movies you'll eventually have an NMT that plugs into an AV receiver.

Thanks Conan! So more for audio advantage yun mga NMT/media players so you can fine tune the sounds with an AVR and take advantage of your DD/DTS setup. Appreciate the inputs! I apologize for setting up a new topic for this and nangangapa lang talaga ako and want to make sure i invest/purchase correctly in the future :)

Offline rickmor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011 at 07:08 PM »
I am currently streaming (wireless) shows (SD and HD) from my computer to my Samsung TV. There are times that I need to fast forward or rewind but  it can sometimes be a slow process. My question is will the NMT buffer the stream so fast forward or rewind can be faster? I know wireless is not ideal but if its this case will an NMT improve my viewing experience? Another thing if the NMT buffers, then do I need a hard drive in the NMT?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011 at 07:53 PM by rickmor »

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011 at 07:41 PM »

correct.

the built in player is just there to accessorize the tv so to speak. its still better to have a dedicated media player. NMTs are not only more functional, but also more efficient in playing different media formats  ;)
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline vortex1

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011 at 07:57 PM »
and most importantly... iwas laspag sa TV mo. as much as possible use the TV only for viewing/Display purposes.

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011 at 08:20 PM »
and most importantly... iwas laspag sa TV mo. as much as possible use the TV only for viewing/Display purposes.

Dito pa lang parang convinced na ako to get one. Thank you sa lahat!

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011 at 06:59 AM »
If its your first NMT, i suggest you go with the one that boots up easy, plays all files, and no fuzz firmware upgrades related to codecs. thus a mature NMT would be good especially if you dont want to fuzz about versions of fw, unwilling or unable to upgrade / flash etc.

In the end, its all about convenience to you. Unless you want to spend time figuring out flashing fw, read up the latest fix/patches and how to apply them, pick one that's quick to boot, plays all files, and not compromise Picture Quality (PQ) and sound quality (SQ), the more standards you can play with the player, the better your investment is.

http://toys4geeks.nexus.ph
toy

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011 at 02:05 PM »
^ Thanks sir! I've decided to purchase a media player only (no LAN/Wifi yet) and that would achieve what I need. The Kaiboer 1055+ is a strong contender but I really like the menu interface of the eGreat and now switching my research to that media player. Thanks to pdvd! naka-catch up na ako ulit sa technology.. hehe!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011 at 02:18 PM by Furry »

Offline kompressor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011 at 04:22 PM »
Ako my LED TV's can play High def formats but I still need my NMT. I bought a particular model which has these features (which my TV alone can't provide):

- My NMT has SPDIF out - output to receiver with surround speakers.
- My TV does not support DTS audio from high def files
- My NMT can play a lot of other video formats aside from avi and mkv (like FLV clips ripped from youtube)
- My NMT has internet connectivity. Can connect to podcasts, internet TV, RSS, and even youtube
- My NMT also acts as a file server (it has an internal 2TB hard drive) and I access my files anywhere in the house.
- My NMT has a bitorrent client which saves me a lot of electricity - no need to leave a PC or laptop turned on while waiting for downloads to finish. I queue downloads regularly and I don't miss episodes of my fave TV series in the US. I keep my unit running 24x7 at a thrifty 20 watts only.

There are pros and cons as far as choosing NMT's is concerned. My unit also has cons but its pros fit all my needs while its cons, I can somewhat live with.

Just sharing my 2 cents.

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011 at 05:54 PM »
Naiintriga tuloy ako sa wifi capable nmt with torrent downloader feature... haay.. research mode ulit and never ending nga ito.. hahaha!

Thanks sa mga nag bigay ng inputs. It's really very informative especially for a noob like me sa NMT arena :) dami pala talagang choices.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011 at 11:13 PM »
Been seeing this NMT thingy for a very long time pero never akong nagbigay nang panahon, until i was able to get one...

My 1st NMT which is just a few weeks ago, made me realize on how much i'm missing. And because of that i purchased another one... Pero di pa tumigil dun, nagpabili pa ako sa dad ko nang another NMT which will be here 3 weeks from now. Why 3? One NMT will be dedicated for me and my Family HT viewing. The 2nd NMT is dedicated for my kids. 3rd NMT is for my wife, so that she can watch whatever she wants when i'm not around.(Nobody is allowed to touch the HT equipment except me kasi eh) he he he..

And soon when budget permits, i'll get another one for my house in the province. I'm getting tired of taking care of my DVD's specially if the kids are watching.. so mas magandang lagay na lang sa isang container lahat nang pinapanood nila..
Walang Setup

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011 at 07:10 AM »
Para sa isang movie buff, at sa isang tao na napakahilig manuod ng movie,
this has been one of my best investment, para sa akin, tapos na ang panahon
ko na nagbibibili ng mga DVD at BD titles, I have invested thousands of pesos
dahil dyan, ang dami kong naipon na mga R1 and R3 titles,...
Sa sobrang dami ng titles ko ay nakakaubusan na ako ng space, kaya naubligang
ipamigay ko na lang ang ibang titles ko.

The only setback I found sa NMT lalo kung movie collector ka, mukhang walang
katapusan ang pagbili mo ng hard drive, dahil once na makapuno ka ng hard drive,
at hindi ka naman nagbubura ng collection, the only solution is to get a new hard drive...

I love my NMT...

Offline jao143

• Trade Count: (+93)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Going back to a more simple set-up ;(
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011 at 07:17 AM »
Para sa isang movie buff, at sa isang tao na napakahilig manuod ng movie,
this has been one of my best investment, para sa akin, tapos na ang panahon
ko na nagbibibili ng mga DVD at BD titles, I have invested thousands of pesos
dahil dyan, ang dami kong naipon na mga R1 and R3 titles,...
Sa sobrang dami ng titles ko ay nakakaubusan na ako ng space, kaya naubligang
ipamigay ko na lang ang ibang titles ko.

The only setback I found sa NMT lalo kung movie collector ka, mukhang walang
katapusan ang pagbili mo ng hard drive, dahil once na makapuno ka ng hard drive,
at hindi ka naman nagbubura ng collection, the only solution is to get a new hard drive...

I love my NMT...

+1 :)
LG65SK8500
Graham LS3/5a
Rega P8 Fono MC
Rotel RC1572/RB1552mkii
REL T7i
NADC538
Sony HTZF9/49X8500G

Offline Furry

• DVD Addict
  • Groovy baby, yeah!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM »
Two more answers for my initial thread question that I experienced recently:

• Unsupported File Format
  • Unsupported Audio

This is due to some limitation on my LG TV but the more I research into NMTs and also hearing fellow forum member's inputs, I agree na eventually we will own one!

Excited to welcome my upcoming eGREAT R200 PRO NMT later! Thanks to toys4geeks for the great support and that was one of the main factors I had for choosing a particular NMT brand.

Update ko kayo soon on my NMT feedbakc from a noob's standpoint :)

Makakatulog na ako ng mahimbing!

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011 at 11:54 PM »
Two more answers for my initial thread question that I experienced recently:

• Unsupported File Format
  • Unsupported Audio

This is due to some limitation on my LG TV but the more I research into NMTs and also hearing fellow forum member's inputs, I agree na eventually we will own one!

Excited to welcome my upcoming eGREAT R200 PRO NMT later! Thanks to toys4geeks for the great support and that was one of the main factors I had for choosing a particular NMT brand.

Update ko kayo soon on my NMT feedbakc from a noob's standpoint :)

Makakatulog na ako ng mahimbing!

Pareho tayo bro, my 3rd NMT will also be delivered today R200 ulit he he he but this time may kasama nang 2TB.. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I suggest you start getting FLAC audio files.. After hearing Lossless files di na ako bumalik sa MP3...
Walang Setup

Offline j0hans0n

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • _____ally-challenged =|
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011 at 09:05 AM »
I plan to buy a NAS where all my media will be stored and an NMT for my tv. Which NMT brand/model do you guys recommend for HD movies streaming wirelessly?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011 at 09:07 AM by j0hans0n »

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011 at 09:32 AM »
You'll need a Media player that has ethernet and allows mounting shares either via NFS or SMB networking protocols.

Success with wireless is always going to be a case to case basis due to the inherent problems associated with wifi (environmental, distance, interference).

Simple lang...

If the media player only has a USB wifi dongle with a single antenna or even no antenna, don't expect to stream anything over with a 720p video track reliably.

Wired is still best.

Offline j0hans0n

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011 at 09:56 AM »
I should opt for media players with integrated wifi antenna as well as the capability to handle NFS and/or SMB protocols i guess. If that fails, would powerline be another option as well?

Just wanna makes sure it works before i dive into it hehe :)

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM »
Powerline ethernet adapters also suffer from possible interference (after all we plug all sorts of stuff in electrical outlets).

If I had to choose it will always be fixed ethernet, then wifi, last would be powerline.

Offline j0hans0n

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011 at 10:56 AM »
Powerline ethernet adapters also suffer from possible interference (after all we plug all sorts of stuff in electrical outlets).

If I had to choose it will always be fixed ethernet, then wifi, last would be powerline.

Sir, any particular models of media player that you recommend for streaming with smb nfs and built in wifi antenna? I tried searching smb, tungkol sa beer lang lumalabas. Hahaha.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011 at 11:08 AM »
Honestly... wala

But that's because I don't want to settle anymore.

My standard for streaming is now based on the most challenging form of content to stream which is BD ISO.

AFAIK, nothing out there in the market can stream wirelessly a BD ISO and playback the BD-J menus let alone the main feature with HD Audio tracks.

Many will claim it, but never achieve same level of reliability good ole' wired ethernet can deliver and deliver cheaply.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM by scifi-fan »

Offline j0hans0n

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011 at 02:27 PM »
Honestly... wala

But that's because I don't want to settle anymore.

My standard for streaming is now based on the most challenging form of content to stream which is BD ISO.

AFAIK, nothing out there in the market can stream wirelessly a BD ISO and playback the BD-J menus let alone the main feature with HD Audio tracks.

Many will claim it, but never achieve same level of reliability good ole' wired ethernet can deliver and deliver cheaply.

Sir, not necessarily BD ISO movies, but roughly 5-10gb mkv lang naman, and the regular 350mb tv episodes at the least. My panel and audio system would be of the tv's lang.

I guess i shall use a flash drive for certain high def movies. Or even copy file transfer the movie from the nas to the hdd of the media player before watching.

Thanks sir for the inputs. :)
Thanks.

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011 at 02:36 PM »
If that's the case, why not just move the NAS so it can be wired to the media player.

When you say NAS I mean a dedicated appliance like a Qnap or WD HD with ethernet port, not a PC that's running a NAS daemon.

Offline j0hans0n

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011 at 03:07 PM »
If that's the case, why not just move the NAS so it can be wired to the media player.

When you say NAS I mean a dedicated appliance like a Qnap or WD HD with ethernet port, not a PC that's running a NAS daemon.

Yup, a dedicated one. I'm eyeing a synology nas. And I plan to wire it with a gigabit connection. It will be in one room with the modem, router, the said nas, and my pc. But the TV is in another room thus I plan to buy a media player for that TV. :)

Putting the NAS near the media player would make it hard to connect to the router.

Offline lncc63

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011 at 07:30 PM »
The bottleneck is always the network ... unless you use some very old hardware for the NAS.   I sincerely doubt any wireless network can stream perfectly.  I tried it with our Xtreamers and failed miserably.   It wasn't the NAS or the Xtreamer because when connected via a wired LAN it was flawless.

I agree that the NAS should be near your router/modem - its more reliable.  Also, you can put them on a UPS.  The Internet connection is a big cost that should be maximized.

Its really a hassle to put a wired LAN but IMHO its worth it.  Wireless is ok for mobile devices and browse-only desktops. 
RX-V3800
RTi A9+CSi A6+A4+FXi A6+2*DSW660
TH-P42V20 PJ-TX200
BDP-S370 D-KR10KU
Mede8er-500X2
XB