Author Topic: PCH 210-Egreat S800-Med8er 500x  (Read 3712 times)

Offline anchit

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PCH 210-Egreat S800-Med8er 500x
« on: May 15, 2011 at 09:12 PM »
Which among the 3 ang superior? GUI,Speed,Features? I have the r200, ilang weeks lang palang sya, speed sa boot up no questions mabilis talaga, but i hate the GUI. wala din atang wall that can show posters and synopsis of the movies. but also like its latch para mabilis magpalit ng internal HDD.

Thinking of upgrading. ;D Pros and Cons? Inputs please. thanks!
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline garfield03

• Trade Count: (+83)
  • DVD Addict
  • CCF
  • Liked:
Re: PCH 210-Egreat S800-Med8er 500x
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011 at 10:37 PM »
Which among the 3 ang superior? GUI,Speed,Features? I have the r200, ilang weeks lang palang sya, speed sa boot up no questions mabilis talaga, but i hate the GUI. wala din atang wall that can show posters and synopsis of the movies. but also like its latch para mabilis magpalit ng internal HDD.

Since your looking for upgrade. Choose the PCH-210. By all mean, its the ultimate NMT out there. Not looking at the price though.

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011 at 06:00 AM »

I have both the R200 and S800. Mabilis din ang S800, much better ang GUI sa R200, may wall poster pero alang synopsis. Full featured na rin sya and can play anything that your throw at it. Has full BD menu also...Ill be putting screenshots of the GUI later sa thread ko about the S800 for people who are interested.
Walang Setup

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011 at 08:21 AM »
Speed:  Mede8er 500x or any Realtek-based player.

Features:   PCH210/A200 (highly proven and matured), S800 (potentially similar because of Sigma - it looks very good on paper for me, and based on initial impressions by owner and seller).   There are some playback features of the PCH that the Mede8er (and many other Realtek players) appear to be incapable of.  The new Egreat might be equally capable as well - pending actual tests.

FW Maturity:  PCH210/A200.   Always ahead of the pack.   Mede8er is pretty good too in the Realtek side - always tried to be copied by other brands using the same OEMs.  Egreat - see below.

NMJ/Wall Paper:  Whichever you choose, you need some work and time to make the GUI eye-candy. The PCH210/A200 should be the most advanced because it's the most matured. NMJ is not really difficult provided your file system is prepared well, and again, depending on how much data you have, you definitely need lots of time and patience.  Ang masakit neto, once you have set-up your jukebox well, you'd realize it's a huge burden on the player itself - in short, mabagal ang response.  The Mede8er is getting there (compared to other Realtek Players, arguably the most matured and consistently on top of the list of the best NMTs - bested only by the PCH-A210/A200).   S800 being the youngest has great potential because of its Sigma chip..BUT, and there is a big BUT

based on my 31B experience with the Egreat (and yours too Anchit), Egreat totally sucked big time in terms of FW development and upgrade. Hope they have improved.  Some people claim there is no need to upgrade on FW.  Fair enough.  But if that is the case, then why the hell did/do makers keep on releasing FW updates?  In any case, the R200 is looking very good indeed, and the S series models are looking even better - pending more feedback from actual PDVD users, the popular international player boards (and hopefully based on future actual personal tests).

File Management:  You really want to transfer TBs of data from any player directly to an external HDD and vise versa?   Pasang awa ang Mede8er and PCH compared to a PC (and that is being too kind), but I don't know about the Egreat.  The bare SATA interface may be better.   But I think the golden rule in terms of file management is, stick with a PC.   ;)

Network:  I find it just as easy to use the Mede8er as the PCH on a network (wired - I never bother about Wi-Fi so can't comment about that).  I dont know about the Egreat but I don't expect it to be any different.

3D:  Anybody cares about this feature?  PCH is supposed to be capable of Half-SBS already.  Unfortunately, I haven't met anyone who owns all the required hardware.  I think Boss Vic of SnS has got all the hardware.   ;)

Pogi/Cool Factor:  It appears to be a no contest in favor of the Egreat designs.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011 at 08:37 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline Conan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 806
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011 at 08:57 AM »
Speed:  Mede8er 500x or any Realtek-based player.

Features:   PCH210/A200 (highly proven and matured), S800 (potentially similar because of Sigma - it looks very good on paper for me, and based on initial impressions by owner and seller).   There are some playback features of the PCH that the Mede8er (and many other Realtek players) appear to be incapable of.  The new Egreat might be equally capable as well - pending actual tests.

FW Maturity:  PCH210/A200.   Always ahead of the pack.   Mede8er is pretty good too in the Realtek side - always tried to be copied by other brands using the same OEMs.  Egreat - see below.

NMJ/Wall Paper:  Whichever you choose, you need some work and time to make the GUI eye-candy. The PCH210/A200 should be the most advanced because it's the most matured. NMJ is not really difficult provided your file system is prepared well, and again, depending on how much data you have, you definitely need lots of time and patience.  Ang masakit neto, once you have set-up your jukebox well, you'd realize it's a huge burden on the player itself - in short, mabagal ang response.  The Mede8er is getting there (compared to other Realtek Players, arguably the most matured and consistently on top of the list of the best NMTs - bested only by the PCH-A210/A200).   S800 being the youngest has great potential because of its Sigma chip..BUT, and there is a big BUT

based on my 31B experience with the Egreat (and yours too Anchit), Egreat totally sucked big time in terms of FW development and upgrade. Hope they have improved.  Some people claim there is no need to upgrade on FW.  Fair enough.  But if that is the case, then why the hell did/do makers keep on releasing FW updates?  In any case, the R200 is looking very good indeed, and the S series models are looking even better - pending more feedback from actual PDVD users, the popular international player boards (and hopefully based on future actual personal tests).

File Management:  You really want to transfer TBs of data from any player directly to an external HDD and vise versa?   Pasang awa ang Mede8er and PCH compared to a PC (and that is being too kind), but I don't know about the Egreat.  The bare SATA interface may be better.   But I think the golden rule in terms of file management is, stick with a PC.   ;)

Network:  I find it just as easy to use the Mede8er as the PCH on a network (wired - I never bother about Wi-Fi so can't comment about that).  I dont know about the Egreat but I don't expect it to be any different.

3D:  Anybody cares about this feature?  PCH is supposed to be capable of Half-SBS already.  Unfortunately, I haven't met anyone who owns all the required hardware.  I think Boss Vic of SnS has got all the hardware.   ;)

Pogi/Cool Factor:  It appears to be a no contest in favor of the Egreat designs.   ;D

Great advice, makes me think twice of changing my Mede8er 500X.
Polk Audio Reserve R200
B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition
NAD C368 Integrated Amplifier
Cambridge CXA60

Offline Billabong

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011 at 10:08 AM »
I have a Med500x and I can say that it's a very solid and reliable player.

What I don't like about it though is that it can't play BD menus and that the firmware for HD Audio and Non-HD Audio is different.

Receiver ko kasi sa room is DTS-HD/TrueHD capable so I installed the HD-audio firmware. When I tried using it sa ibang set-up na hindi HD audio capable na receiver, hindi gumagana yung hdmi connection from the Med500x to the projector. I had to connect it using component video to work.

Can the PCH 210 be considered as an upgrade to the Med500x?

Offline scifi-fan

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM »
PCH A-210 wont play Java based BD menus either.

As for your projector setup, can't guarantee A-210 would work either unless there's more information to troubleshoot properly.

The only way the PCH A-210 would be considered an upgrade if you're looking for features that you can't do with your existing media player. AFAIK the feature unique to the PCH 200 series is Network Media Jukebox.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011 at 12:07 PM »
Lipat ko dito yung katanungan.

Question No. 0.5:  How much is the S800 and S100 respectively muna nga pala?  ;)   Thanks.

Offline toys4geeks

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011 at 12:26 PM »
PCH A-210 wont play Java based BD menus either.

As for your projector setup, can't guarantee A-210 would work either unless there's more information to troubleshoot properly.

The only way the PCH A-210 would be considered an upgrade if you're looking for features that you can't do with your existing media player. AFAIK the feature unique to the PCH 200 series is Network Media Jukebox.

S800 and s100 share same fw
Both can change to 3 bdj versions which isnt an option in c200 pch

Have not seen in action though, but all iso bd50 rips showed full menu navigation
toy

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011 at 12:26 PM »
Lipat ko dito yung katanungan.

Question No. 0.5:  How much is the S800 and S100 respectively muna nga pala?  ;)   Thanks.

Pmed you bro
toy

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011 at 12:30 PM »
Both can change to 3 bdj versions which isnt an option in c200 pch

Can you expound on this please?

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011 at 12:31 PM »
I have a Med500x and I can say that it's a very solid and reliable player.

What I don't like about it though is that it can't play BD menus and that the firmware for HD Audio and Non-HD Audio is different. t4g: from my reads, both audio  are supported by egreat . X500  should at least be able to BD lite menu? Is this not the case?
Receiver ko kasi sa room is DTS-HD/TrueHD capable so I installed the HD-audio firmware. When I tried using it sa ibang set-up na hindi HD audio capable na receiver, hindi gumagana yung hdmi connection from the Med500x to the projector. I had to connect it using component video to work.

Can the PCH 210 be considered as an upgrade to the Med500x?
toy

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011 at 12:33 PM »
Can you expound on this please?

One of the system setup option in egreat s800 /s100 was a prompt for bdj   Ver 1.0,,1.2, 2.0

When I come back to Manila from SG, I'll post the pix, screenshot
toy

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011 at 12:42 PM »

Anchit,
WillSend u s100 , with BD 50 rips, gui and features you tell me.

Return if it sucks. ( don't mean to be cocky, just wanted to share the experience
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM by toys4geeks »
toy

Offline scifi-fan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011 at 12:44 PM »
Ahhh.. I get it...

You're talking about BD-Profiles as explained here;

Blu-ray Profile 1.0, 1.1, 2.0 explained

Up to Profile 2.0.. it encompasses the lower profiles similar to HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4... as long as the higher number is supported, the lower features are included. Syabas as a rule doesn't just tack on every available option on it's setup menus because it just confuses users as well as support.

The C200's Full BD Profile 2.0 compliance has been a problem and I've been on this issue since I got my C200. BD PIP doesn't work (no Audio on PIP window) and the solution is a online only firmware upgrade for all C200 owners so that the license keys on the player will be checked before allowed to upgrade.

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM »
Anchit,

Return if it sucks. ( don't mean to be cocky, just wanted to share the experience

Meron ba akong BD 50 rip? sorry dont know anything about BD 10 20 30 40 50 :)
Walang Setup

Offline anchit

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011 at 01:38 PM »
Anchit,

thanks jim, sige, will look forward to it.
The handsomest and the happiest ;b

Offline toys4geeks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011 at 10:37 PM »
Ito yung bluray 40GB files you saw.

Meron ba akong BD 50 rip? sorry dont know anything about BD 10 20 30 40 50 :)
toy

Offline Courage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011 at 11:22 PM »
Ito yung bluray 40GB files you saw.

Ahh ok.. So far that sample is playing great... Very happy that it can do that he he he...
Walang Setup