Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205723 times)

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2011
« Reply #90 on: Jul 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM »
I'm going to disagree. He was in Gilas. I don't think his lack of confidence is the problem. I want to see Coach Norman utilize his other players and not just depend on Slaughter. Adamson was able to catch up whenever Slaughter's on the bench. And without Slaughter, I saw the Blue Eagles make clumsy plays coming of fastbreaks as if they thought that the only way they could score was to catch Adamson by surprise.

All I'm saying is, they're better than that. Slaughter's not the only scorer on the team.

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #91 on: Jul 11, 2011 at 12:38 PM »
Slaughter is a walking mismatch, hence Black is utilizing him early on ...... anytime you get a guy that tall with decent hands & decent offense - you use him as much as possible.

He'll have his fair share of hiccups being a "rookie" to the UAAP ..... but once he get's the hang of it, he will make the game a lot easier for his teammates.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #92 on: Jul 11, 2011 at 01:43 PM »
Slaughter is a walking mismatch, hence Black is utilizing him early on ...... anytime you get a guy that tall with decent hands & decent offense - you use him as much as possible.

He'll have his fair share of hiccups being a "rookie" to the UAAP ..... but once he get's the hang of it, he will make the game a lot easier for his teammates.

Proper execution is needed to maximize the strength and height of Slaughter.
Pick and Rolls, Drives and Draws those are the plays Ateneo needs to perfect. guards, off guards, small forwards that can penetrate luring oppsing teams defenders at them then set up her giant for an easy undergoal stab those plays will the Eagles unbeatable.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Jul 11, 2011 at 02:01 PM »
^ Yup .... and Black is a good-enough coach to know these things (see early success of Slaughter via pick-rolls with Monfort ) ..... Black has always been a very good big-man coach.

I agree that it's imperative that they break-in Slaughter now while it's early ..... games will get a lot tighter as the finish approaches & top-2 slots are within sight.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Jul 11, 2011 at 02:44 PM »
^ Yup .... and Black is a good-enough coach to know these things (see early success of Slaughter via pick-rolls with Monfort ) ..... Black has always been a very good big-man coach.

I agree that it's imperative that they break-in Slaughter now while it's early ..... games will get a lot tighter as the finish approaches & top-2 slots are within sight.

yes Black always wants a big men's team. he always wants a big man who can deliver down low plus another big man who can clean up the garbage and defend down low.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #95 on: Jul 13, 2011 at 03:33 PM »
Feu beats La Salle.
Ateneo defeats Adamson.

I thought it was only Salamat who would be gone from the Ateneo line-up but it seems Buenafe is also gone, two of Ateneo's go-to-guys at crucial time. I guess it will not be a walk in the park for Ateneo after all.

buenafe is gone for now because he is overweight

this is to me the worst way you get out of the line up, way lacking in discipline
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #96 on: Jul 13, 2011 at 04:47 PM »
buenafe is gone for now because he is overweight

this is to me the worst way you get out of the line up, way lacking in discipline

heard that Buenafe is going back to Baste, while Delacruz to Beda again..
The Pats way...

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Jul 13, 2011 at 05:10 PM »
i think buenafe has been having some difficulties coping up with his school's academic requirements.
peace man!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Jul 13, 2011 at 05:44 PM »
i think buenafe has been having some difficulties coping up with his school's academic requirements.

its really between Buenafe and de la Cruz. may problema yun dalawa sa babae he he. . . .
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #99 on: Jul 13, 2011 at 06:16 PM »
heard that Buenafe is going back to Baste, while Delacruz to Beda again..

Art Dela Cruz going back to San Beda is confirmed. He's practicing with them already.

There were rumors going around that Buenafe wanted to go back to Baste for a "fresh" start. But he's still in the ateneo atending to his classes.

The problem with Buenafe is, he's a genius at basketball but has never developed the work ethic to truly develop his full potential. Compared to Nico Salva who is a workhorse, we can see nico's development to a become a truly good forward and if not one of the best in the UAAP for his generation.

Also, I wouldn't worry about Ateneo's game against ADU. Admu always starts the season slow and arguably Adamson is quite good with a very underrated coach. We'll start seeing fluidity on the offensive plays and cohesiveness on defense.

I'm just gonna relax and watch how the season unfolds. I'm only gonna push the panic button if ateneo gets 3 losses already in the first round.  but until then, i'm just gonna enjoy the ride.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2011 at 06:35 PM by questforthegoodlife »

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Jul 13, 2011 at 07:01 PM »
Art Dela Cruz going back to San Beda is confirmed. He's practicing with them already.

There were rumors going around that Buenafe wanted to go back to Baste for a "fresh" start. But he's still in the ateneo atending to his classes.

The problem with Buenafe is, he's a genius at basketball but has never developed the work ethic to truly develop his full potential. Compared to Nico Salva who is a workhorse, we can see his development to a very good forward and if not one of the best in the UAAP for his generation.

Also, I wouldn't worry about Ateneo's game against ADU. Admu always starts the season slow and arguably Adamson is quite good with a very underrated coach. We'll start seeing fluidity on the offensive plays and cohesiveness on defense.

I'm just gonna relax and watch how the season unfolds. I'm only gonna push the panic button if ateneo gets 3 losses already in the first round.  but until then, i'm just gonna enjoy the ride.

Salamat, Buenafe, Dela Cruz. Three players who are not afraid to shoot. Three players who are not afraid to drive into the painted area. Three players who can post-up. Three players who are not afraid to go head-to-head and toe-to-toe with the opposing player. These are not minor losses, these are big losses.

Salva has a decent outside shot. But he's not that good a post-up player nor does he have an explosive first step which will allow him to leave his guard behind. He doesn't even have the heft to overpower those who guard him. What he has is the "yabang" and self-confidence to do good.

Kirk Long has his days but not on a steady basis. Chua is good offensively but is not intimidating defensively. Monfort will not back down from anybody. The other players have been contented in the roles they play. And with the entry of Slaughter and Ravena, they might even be more contented playing second-fiddle to them.

Their real test probably would come from FEU's in-your-face defense and La Salle's pesky full-court press.

Ateneo may be a contender but definitely not a shoo-in!

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jul 13, 2011 at 09:51 PM »

The problem with Buenafe is, he's a genius at basketball but has never developed the work ethic to truly develop his full potential. Compared to Nico Salva who is a workhorse, we can see nico's development to a become a truly good forward and if not one of the best in the UAAP for his generation.

I'm just gonna relax and watch how the season unfolds. I'm only gonna push the panic button if ateneo gets 3 losses already in the first round.  but until then, i'm just gonna enjoy the ride.

who is this art dela cruz? is he related to the art dela cruz the PBA player and assistant coach?
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jul 13, 2011 at 10:07 PM »
who is this art dela cruz? is he related to the art dela cruz the PBA player and assistant coach?

actually it should be arthur dela cruz. he is the son of art dela cruz.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/technopinoy/4808112543/

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jul 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM »
If San Beda has Sudan, and Ateneo has Slaughter, look who FEU got!  Lakas ng FEU ;D

Dahil lockout sa NBA, e sa FEU na muna maglalaro si Black Mamba! 

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Jul 14, 2011 at 01:47 PM »

but Ryan has the heart of a Champion, he's cool under pressure and always deliver when his team needed him most, look at what he did last year against FEU in the finals. binuhat nya un team Ateneo. i also remembered the up and under hang time move he did when they were down against dindo pumaren's UE w/c he also won for the eagles.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #105 on: Jul 14, 2011 at 10:40 PM »
Panalo UP!  Next stop: Final Four.  ;D
We deserve better.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM »
but Ryan has the heart of a Champion, he's cool under pressure and always deliver when his team needed him most, look at what he did last year against FEU in the finals. binuhat nya un team Ateneo. i also remembered the up and under hang time move he did when they were down against dindo pumaren's UE w/c he also won for the eagles.

No doubt he has the heart of a champion. Him sitting out this year is a big loss definitely.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 12:31 AM »
Salamat, Buenafe, Dela Cruz. Three players who are not afraid to shoot. Three players who are not afraid to drive into the painted area. Three players who can post-up. Three players who are not afraid to go head-to-head and toe-to-toe with the opposing player. These are not minor losses, these are big losses.

Salva has a decent outside shot. But he's not that good a post-up player nor does he have an explosive first step which will allow him to leave his guard behind. He doesn't even have the heft to overpower those who guard him. What he has is the "yabang" and self-confidence to do good.

Kirk Long has his days but not on a steady basis. Chua is good offensively but is not intimidating defensively. Monfort will not back down from anybody. The other players have been contented in the roles they play. And with the entry of Slaughter and Ravena, they might even be more contented playing second-fiddle to them.

Their real test probably would come from FEU's in-your-face defense and La Salle's pesky full-court press.

Ateneo may be a contender but definitely not a shoo-in!

Yes those three are big losses to the team. They bring swagger and elevates the whole team's performance. If art and buenafe were still with the team, i would have said just hand the trophy to them. As seen in the adamson game the second unit didnt contribute to the points production! 8 pts. Only! Art was quite good off the bench, providing quality minutes right away.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #108 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 12:45 AM »
Buenafe is a closer, somethibg that Ray Parks would need to learn.

Buenafat also has high basketball IQ and awareness, something that Ravena needs to demonstrate in the UAAP.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 09:52 AM »
Buenafe is a closer, somethibg that Ray Parks would need to learn.

Buenafat also has high basketball IQ and awareness, something that Ravena needs to demonstrate in the UAAP.

He always looked over weight, mukhang wala sa condition, ang bagal kumilos, but somehow i just dont know why he always gets the job done when the game was on the line. he's more of mental toughness, buo ang loob.

i just feel with his barrelling drives, he could be the best feeder for Slaughter kung ksama sna sya sa line up this season.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 10:33 AM »
Agree with above posts ..... Ryan Buenafe has good basketball sense & has that mental toughness about him. Plus for someone with that huge build, he sure has decent mobility & handling.

It could be a sad story should the kid ignore his conditioning ..... he looks like he'll be a decent pro someday.

I'm kinda reminded of a similar case ..... Gerard Francisco from some years back. The guy had a similar build & skillset with Buenafe, but was a tad bit more mobile & was a much better shooter.

Francisco had a decent pro career, even lead his team to it's first 'chip. However, the guy had very poor conditioning & was disinterested in training ..... hence his pro career didn't last that long.

A good friend was a PBA team PT for many years & can attest to this (he also confirms that Marlou Aquino was president of the All-Lazy team).

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 11:16 AM »
Agree with above posts ..... Ryan Buenafe has good basketball sense & has that mental toughness about him. Plus for someone with that huge build, he sure has decent mobility & handling.

It could be a sad story should the kid ignore his conditioning ..... he looks like he'll be a decent pro someday.

I'm kinda reminded of a similar case ..... Gerard Francisco from some years back. The guy had a similar build & skillset with Buenafe, but was a tad bit more mobile & was a much better shooter.

Francisco had a decent pro career, even lead his team to it's first 'chip. However, the guy had very poor conditioning & was disinterested in training ..... hence his pro career didn't last that long.

A good friend was a PBA team PT for many years & can attest to this (he also confirms that Marlou Aquino was president of the All-Lazy team).

Conditioning is key.  The Big J, at age 40+, was still banging bodies with the younger players.  One of his players Joey Loyzaga told me that "Tatang", as Jawo was called, might be a few steps behind but no one in the Ginebra team can outpace their coach.  Grabe daw talaga ang conditioning. 

On the contrary, one of the best players of San Miguel Yves Dignadice was Norman Black's first five.  But Black always complained that Yves would show up for practice with a hangover and no sleep from previous night's partying.  Sometimes, Yves will drive to the practice venue and sleep in the car, in time for their practice for the day.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 02:01 PM »
UST's win over NU is quite a moral booster for Pido Jarencio's Tigers.
Actually they have a decent starting unit that can compete w/ the best this season.
Fortuna, Teng, Ferrer, Camus, plus the IMPORT.
but their bench is quite shallow w/ Pe, and Afuang as their reliables.

NU played a decent game. almost won it, Parks better be ready for a tougher competition ahead of him as teams will certainly focus their defenses and clogged down on him to frustrate his game.

UP has improved under the Lipa mentored Ricky Dandan's watchful eyes.

UE probably the only team that is ALL-Filipino could the this year's cellar dwellers.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #113 on: Jul 16, 2011 at 09:15 PM »
Kiefer Ravena with a monster first half against DLSU today.  He looked like he was ready to jump to the pros on that one game alone.

La Salle must be regretting not keeping him way back in grade school.

Replay later at 10pm @ Balls.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Jul 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM »
Kiefer Ravena with a monster first half against DLSU today.  He looked like he was ready to jump to the pros on that one game alone.

La Salle must be regretting not keeping him way back in grade school.

Replay later at 10pm @ Balls.

It was indeed a spectacular first half by Kiefer Ravena, but what struck me most was how vulnerable Ateneo's second team is. Chua, Golla, Austria, Sumalinog and Tiongson. If the low post plays of Chua are not successful, where do they get their points? Except perhaps for Tiongson, who can drive to the basket, none of the other players can create their own plays. And this was definitely shown in the second quarter and at the start of the fourth by La Salle. It was good, though that Black was quick to react and adjust.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Jul 17, 2011 at 09:06 AM »
Man for man Adamson seems to be the toughest match up for the Eagles. Mamang mama ang dating ng mga players wlang Totoy. They just have to find a remedy to close out games since they really play touch for 35 mins then the usual collapse in the end game, its more on mental toughness and composure during end games that the Falcons should learn.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Jul 17, 2011 at 09:52 AM »
Man for man Adamson seems to be the toughest match up for the Eagles. Mamang mama ang dating ng mga players wlang Totoy. They just have to find a remedy to close out games since they really play touch for 35 mins then the usual collapse in the end game, its more on mental toughness and composure during end games that the Falcons should learn.

But they were tough and composed against the Tamaraws yesterday even when FEU lowered the deficit to 7 points with around 7 minutes left, the same situation they were in against Ateneo.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Jul 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM »
But they were tough and composed against the Tamaraws yesterday even when FEU lowered the deficit to 7 points with around 7 minutes left, the same situation they were in against Ateneo.

too many times befoer they have the game in control against Ateneo only to lose it in the last 2mins becoz they just cant score on clutch baskets and just watch their lead overwhelmed by Ateneo's aggressive end game.
they have to learn to play to win and not play not to lose.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Jul 17, 2011 at 01:50 PM »
too many times befoer they have the game in control against Ateneo only to lose it in the last 2mins becoz they just cant score on clutch baskets and just watch their lead overwhelmed by Ateneo's aggressive end game.
they have to learn to play to win and not play not to lose.

their game against feu is an indication that they know how to play to win and not just play not to lose. perhaps their losing streak to Ateneo plays havoc on their playing minds!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Jul 17, 2011 at 01:58 PM »
we'll see if they can finally beat Ateneo in the 2nd round, if i'm not mistaken they are 0-15 against Ateneo since Coach Leo Austria took over.
Most of those games they could have won pero laging sayang in the end as they always end up losing.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!