Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205718 times)

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2011
« Reply #180 on: Aug 08, 2011 at 11:12 PM »
Ateneo seems to be cruising its way to the UAAP finals again.  With a powerhouse lineup in Slaughter and Ravena, mahirap talunin ang Ateneo.

The NCAA is more interesting with the Stags and San Beda having an identical 7-0 record.  Behind Abueva's triple double earlier this afternoon, the Stags beat gutsy Arellano and tied San Beda at the top.  Their next games will be on Wednesday against Mapua and JRU respectively.  Should they win and keep their clean slates, it will be a colossal battle on August 19 against the two rivaling schools.  These two teams met last year in the Finals and SBC won.    The Stags is seeking revenge while the Lions is trying to prove that, even without an import, they can beat the Stags!  Ayos na ayos to...

expectations that Ateneo will win this season is sky high. no doubt they have the best talented rookies plus a great team.

as for the NCAA this is San Beda's best chance to prove to me that they can win the NCAA w/o a BIG BLACK American/Nigerian import.
and also the best chance for Frankie Lim to prove he's a good mentor, i sure if the Lions can win, it will be their sweetest.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #181 on: Aug 08, 2011 at 11:50 PM »
Does the UAAP still give an automatic berth in the Finals for the team that sweeps the eliminations?  And if so, will it just be a semifinal match-up then between the 2nd and 3rd seeds?

I'm not sure.  I think the practice now is for the team to get an outright finals seat (like a bye) and wait.

Offline vinci

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 985
« Reply #182 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 02:04 AM »
I'm not sure.  I think the practice now is for the team to get an outright finals seat (like a bye) and wait.

bigla ko naalala UE a few years ago. mas maganda pa yung semis kesa finals e.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #183 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 08:56 AM »
^ Ah yes.  Thanks for the lead.  In Season 70, UE swept the eliminations and was automatically seeded in the Finals.  Then there were stepladder games to determine the other Finalist (which was eventually DLSU, who bagged the crown that year).

Got this from Wikipedia:

If a team sweeps the elimination round:

Seed #1 advance to the Finals.
Seed #2 advance to the semifinals with the twice to beat advantage.
Teams #3 and #4 face off to meet #2 in the semifinals in a one-game playoff.
In the finals, the #1 seed only has to win twice, while the other opponent has to win thrice.

But anything can still happen in the second round this season.  :)

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2011 at 08:59 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #184 on: Aug 09, 2011 at 07:48 PM »
^ Ah yes.  Thanks for the lead.  In Season 70, UE swept the eliminations and was automatically seeded in the Finals.  Then there were stepladder games to determine the other Finalist (which was eventually DLSU, who bagged the crown that year).

Got this from Wikipedia:

If a team sweeps the elimination round:

Seed #1 advance to the Finals.
Seed #2 advance to the semifinals with the twice to beat advantage.
Teams #3 and #4 face off to meet #2 in the semifinals in a one-game playoff.
In the finals, the #1 seed only has to win twice, while the other opponent has to win thrice.

But anything can still happen in the second round this season.  :)

tama ba ito? ???

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Aug 10, 2011 at 07:49 AM »
tama ba ito? ???

Mukang tama, based on this 2008 article, when the UAAP changed the rules for sweeping the elims.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/sports/view/20080628-145227/Additional-incentive-for-UAAP-sweep

Parang best-of-three lang ang Finals for the sweeping team, while best-of-five for the other finalist.  Virtual champion na 'yung first finalist in this case.

We deserve better.

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Aug 10, 2011 at 08:33 AM »
Mukang tama, based on this 2008 article, when the UAAP changed the rules for sweeping the elims.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/sports/view/20080628-145227/Additional-incentive-for-UAAP-sweep

Parang best-of-three lang ang Finals for the sweeping team, while best-of-five for the other finalist.  Virtual champion na 'yung first finalist in this case.

so if no team sweeps the elimination round, the finals is just a best-of-three series but if a team sweeps the elimination round, then the finals, technically, becomes a best-of-five with the team who swept the eliminations having a one game advantage? sounds illogical. ;D

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Aug 10, 2011 at 09:27 AM »
Parang twice to beat advantage pero plus 1 game each. Natalo kasi UE eh kaya dinagdagan nila ng ganyang rule.

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Aug 10, 2011 at 12:06 PM »
so if no team sweeps the elimination round, the finals is just a best-of-three series but if a team sweeps the elimination round, then the finals, technically, becomes a best-of-five with the team who swept the eliminations having a one game advantage? sounds illogical. ;D

I agree.  Might as well give the crown to the team that sweeps the eliminations, in this case.  I think the automatic berth in the Finals is enough as an incentive/reward.  If the team is really that good, it can demonstrate that during the best-of-three Finals. 

We deserve better.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #189 on: Aug 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM »
I agree.  Might as well give the crown to the team that sweeps the eliminations, in this case.  I think the automatic berth in the Finals is enough as an incentive/reward.  If the team is really that good, it can demonstrate that during the best-of-three Finals. 

O eto na official word from my sources inside UAAP/NCAA :  Tama ka Wiggum - the one who sweeps the eliminations gains an automatic berth in the finals.  Then a best of 3 finals.  No more twice to beat advantage.  This is what happened to San Beda last year.  It swept the elims and waited for the other teams in a ladder system.  Baste and San Beda battled it out in a best of 3 where San Beda won 2-0. 

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #190 on: Aug 10, 2011 at 01:35 PM »
O eto na official word from my sources inside UAAP/NCAA :  Tama ka Wiggum - the one who sweeps the eliminations gains an automatic berth in the finals.  Then a best of 3 finals.  No more twice to beat advantage.  This is what happened to San Beda last year.  It swept the elims and waited for the other teams in a ladder system.  Baste and San Beda battled it out in a best of 3 where San Beda won 2-0. 

Does this also apply to the UAAP?

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Aug 10, 2011 at 02:34 PM »
mukhang mas maganda talaga yung NCAA versus UAAP, both San Beda and San Sebastian sporting immaculate records yung laban nila parang preview na ng finals

di ako madalas maka nood but gets the chance to see nuyles and abvueva, ang galing pareho
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Aug 10, 2011 at 03:55 PM »
Does this also apply to the UAAP?

Yes sir! Same rules apply.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Aug 10, 2011 at 04:11 PM »
mukhang mas maganda talaga yung NCAA versus UAAP, both San Beda and San Sebastian sporting immaculate records yung laban nila parang preview na ng finals

di ako madalas maka nood but gets the chance to see nuyles and abvueva, ang galing pareho

yes Calvin Abueva is a monster on the court. more inches in height could have make him unstoppable even with imports playing for the opposing teams.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Aug 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM »
yes Calvin Abueva is a monster on the court. more inches in height could have make him unstoppable even with imports playing for the opposing teams.

Abueva has improved a lot ever since he joined Baste three years ago.  Lately, the guy has been contributing in assists. He scored a triple double a couple of games ago and has been averaging 5 apg.  That's not good news for the opposing teams, particularly San Beda.  Malupit talaga si Calvin.  You can say all you want about his "brash" and cocky attitude but the guy's a winner.   

The showdown next week between the Stags and the Red Lions is really a game to watch.  These two teams have faced each other in the past two Finals series of the NCAA.  Stags won in 2009 and the Lions got back at them in 2010.  With an improved Abueva and a solid lineup, the Stags is tough to beat.  San Beda, on the other hand, hasn't lost a game since 2010.  They have swept last years' NCAA and have remained unbeaten until now, despite not having Sudan in the lineup and going All Pinoy for the first time since they started dominating the NCAA again.  Sabi ng madami swerte lang daw lately ang San Beda and they are bound to lose games soon in the hands of stronger teams like Baste.  Baste out to prove that they are the best All Pinoy team ( wala na nga ba import sa lineup nila? ) San Beda also out to prove that they can win with an All Pinoy lineup. 

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #195 on: Aug 11, 2011 at 02:36 PM »
it will be WAR when Baste faces San Beda next week.
NO IMPORT for San Beda so this will be a BIG TEST for them and prove that they really are that GOOD even playing All Filipino.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #196 on: Aug 11, 2011 at 04:38 PM »
it will be WAR when Baste faces San Beda next week.
NO IMPORT for San Beda so this will be a BIG TEST for them and prove that they really are that GOOD even playing All Filipino.

I'm betting on Baste..  :)
The Pats way...

Offline pa3ck608

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #197 on: Aug 11, 2011 at 06:00 PM »
akala ko import si abueva, pinoy din pala  ;D

go san beda fight!!! love your own syempre.
CA 650A+DACMagic | Denon 4311 | Onkyo 608
Polk RTiA3 | B&W 686 S2 | MS Mezzo 8 | MS Avant 906i

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #198 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 08:13 AM »
Is the 2nd Round sked of the UAAP available already?
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 09:13 AM »
^ Yes - paki-post naman, if anyone has it.

OT:  If you're following the Jones Cup, big game today for Smart Gilas vs. Japan (5 PM, live on ESPN/AKTV 13).  A win will ensure a semifinals berth.  But a loss may have tie-breaker complications that could eliminate the Philippines.  Japan did not field their top players to this tournament (who are preparing for the London Olympics' qualifying tournament next month), but they have PG Tabuse (who played in the NBA, for PHX yata) and some young, athletic players. 

http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/jones-cup-dispatch-a-look-at-japan-and-semis-scenarios

We deserve better.

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #200 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 09:39 AM »
Is the 2nd Round sked of the UAAP available already?

Schedule will be released within the day. Will post if it becomes available and i'm not stuck in meetings.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 09:44 AM »
Di pa available but here's a good site to keep you updated on UAAP & NCAA :

http://www.inboundpass.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-basketball/teams.php?conference_id=13

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #202 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 09:48 AM »
akala ko import si abueva, pinoy din pala  ;D

go san beda fight!!! love your own syempre.

taga pampanga ata si Calvin, he's actually the bigger version of Talk n Text Jason Castor.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #203 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 03:26 PM »
Schedule will be released within the day. Will post if it becomes available and i'm not stuck in meetings.

Do we have an update already re: Round 2 skeds, sir?? Thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline puffalan84

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 03:47 PM »
taga pampanga ata si Calvin, he's actually the bigger version of Talk n Text Jason Castor.

or bigger version of Willie Miller.. First time I watched NCAA in Rizal back in '97,  Miller dunked on Calpito and Aducul, although Letran lost to Baste that dunk against 2 mammoths was really unforgettable.. Anyway, Baste swept the season that year, totally unbeaten.. No team can match them even UST who at that time was the UAAP champ.
The Pats way...

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 04:08 PM »
or bigger version of Willie Miller.. First time I watched NCAA in Rizal back in '97,  Miller dunked on Calpito and Aducul, although Letran lost to Baste that dunk against 2 mammoths was really unforgettable.. Anyway, Baste swept the season that year, totally unbeaten.. No team can match them even UST who at that time was the UAAP champ.

That time Baste had an awesome line up. Rommel Adducol, Banjo Calpito, Brixter Encarnacion, Jasper Ocampo, Ulysess Tanigue.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline pa3ck608

• DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 04:44 PM »
^ plus rommel daep.  btw, i still remember yun mga harapan na set shot na 3 points ni tanigue ang pumapatay sa san beda dati.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2011 at 04:45 PM by pa3ck608 »

Offline puffalan84

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 05:07 PM »
^ plus rommel daep.  btw, i still remember yun mga harapan na set shot na 3 points ni tanigue ang pumapatay sa san beda dati.

Beda with Ralph Emerson Rivera and Rency Bajar, with 2 big men ( I forgot their names).. Letran naman with Calaguio, Miller, and Kerby Raymundo.. Players turning pro before were exciting lalo na pag draft na..

OT. Remember yung year ni Boybits Victoria and Rey Evangelista, grabe labanan sa ROY sa PBA nun..

ngayun even the best players from NCAA and UAAP di makaporma because of the Fil-Ams..
The Pats way...

Offline pa3ck608

• DVD Addict
  • rebuilding mode
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 05:24 PM »
Beda with Ralph Emerson Rivera and Rency Bajar, with 2 big men ( I forgot their names).. Letran naman with Calaguio, Miller, and Kerby Raymundo.. Players turning pro before were exciting lalo na pag draft na..

OT. Remember yung year ni Boybits Victoria and Rey Evangelista, grabe labanan sa ROY sa PBA nun..

ngayun even the best players from NCAA and UAAP di makaporma because of the Fil-Ams..

...plus ato morano, norman gonzales and dino manuel (2 big men) composed the starting lineup of san beda. but the beda frontline was no match against adducul and calpito combo. kerby naman was a lanky and very cocky rookie back then, 17yrs old lng yta but already 6'6". 

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Aug 12, 2011 at 05:30 PM »
Baste even had Jerome Barbosa as the reliever for Adducol or Calpito.

I just felt the NCAA produced lots of individual talents compared to the UAAP w/c is more into scientific brand of basketball.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!