Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205730 times)

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2011
« Reply #270 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 08:08 PM »
Yup, unlike the other sweep-teams e.g. 80's UE & 90's UST .... that UE team was devoid of a superstar ..... though like I said, they had an over-abundance of tough players that year.

It really says something when their toughest player then (Fampulme) didn't even crack a PBA roster ..... they also, survived some close games - IIRC the most infamous being the Rico Maierhoffer hard-foul leading to Brian Ilad punching Fampulme.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #271 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 08:12 PM »
now i remember, elmer espiritu si the slam dunk champion, eto yung mahaba ang reach, nakikita ko sya maglaro pero di babad, si thiele din

eto yata yung nag champion ang UST pero 14-0 and UE

Yup, Espiritu was the slam-dunkin one.

How I wish that UST won that year ...... it was actually DLSU who won the championship by sweeping UE in the Finals. Much like FEU last year, UE just got cold during Finals.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #272 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 08:41 PM »
ahhh those were the days

kelan kaya magiging matindi ulit ang UST?

though this year, I get the chance to watch too kahit saglit lang, im very impressed with that nuyles guy,ang lakas mag laro tingin ko wag lang mainjury maganda din future nito sa pba, the whole adamson team in fact is very impressive, mas gusto ko sila s feu, ateneo is already a given, halos shoe in na yata sa championship pero we can never tell, kung UE nga dati 14-0 eh nasulot din tapos yung Ateneo na tinalo ng UST yung time ni jervy cruz, baka sakaling bigyan ng mgandang laban ng FEU at ADU ang ADMU. Yung DLSU, mukhang mahirapan ang liliit ng player though minsan napanood ko yung vosotros parang di sumasablay kahit saan tumira
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #273 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 09:11 PM »
DLSU has always been a full court pressing team under Franz Pumaren program. Before we can see how the backcourt of La Salle with the likes of Ritualo, Cardona, Yeo, Casio, Jose, Tang, Cuan, dominating the opponents' backcourt. Now its clearly a different story where the guards arent as explosive as the ones before.
They have lots of tall players now but they dont fit in the full court pressing style being continued by Dindo.
There's no chemistry among the players of La Salle thats why there's losing.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 09:27 PM »
Those were the days indeed ...... of my 5 years in Engg, I got to see 4 UST championships live (4-peat). ;D

The lone year which I didnt see a championship (well aside from my Pay High years) was when UST lost a heart-breaker to FEU ....... I was there in the ADMU gym during that game against FEU. IIRC it was Abbarientos' last year & even then, he was spectacular.

As I've posted before, UST has actually stayed the course as far as recruitment goes ...... they still get most of their players from Pampanga & nearby areas ..... Aric Del Rosario country.

It's just the other elite programs went a few notches higher with their recruitments  e.g. DLSU Filams, ADMU Filams, ADMU strategic pirating (e.g. Baclao, Slaughter, etc), DLSU cornering the recent RP Youth Team, etc

^ Fully agree with post ...... DLSU doesnt have that creative & clutch backcourt, unlike years back.

They (and NU) still have an outside chance though of stealing the 4th spot from UST.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #275 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 09:35 PM »
DLSU has been system-based ever since Franz took over.. they have been solely system-based and that worked well for them.. and problema lang ngayon, other teams have figured it out.. hindi na umuubra yung umaasa ka lang sa system mo.. kailangan na talaga ng talent.. if you look at the top 4 teams ngayon sa UAAP, they have pretty good plays that they run but when it doesn't work, may back-up sila.. they give the ball to their main guys and let them do what they do best..  DLSU doesn't have that anymore.. Revilla's too small, Tampus and Webb are too erratic, Marata and Dela Paz are inconsistent.. so when the system fails, walang fallback..

it's looking like an Ateneo-Adamson finals.. if Adamson holds on to that 2nd spot and Ateneo sweeps, they will have a twice to beat edge in the stepladder semis.. and now that they've found a way to win close games, they're looking pretty good.. and they match-up well with Ateneo..

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 09:55 PM »
Those were the days indeed ...... of my 5 years in Engg, I got to see 4 UST championships live (4-peat). ;D

The lone year which I didnt see a championship (well aside from my Pay High years) was when UST lost a heart-breaker to FEU ....... I was there in the ADMU gym during that game against FEU. IIRC it was Abbarientos' last year & even then, he was spectacular.

As I've posted before, UST has actually stayed the course as far as recruitment goes ...... they still get most of their players from Pampanga & nearby areas ..... Aric Del Rosario country.

It's just the other elite programs went a few notches higher with their recruitments  e.g. DLSU Filams, ADMU Filams, ADMU strategic pirating (e.g. Baclao, Slaughter, etc), DLSU cornering the recent RP Youth Team, etc

^ Fully agree with post ...... DLSU doesnt have that creative & clutch backcourt, unlike years back.

They (and NU) still have an outside chance though of stealing the 4th spot from UST.

im friends with udoy belmonte and those were the days na im very proud of our alma mater, im from eng'g batch 1992, barkada ko din si tegie dorado used to be varsity in high school'

sorry po sa OT sarap lang pag kwentuhan

anyway, Id like to see ADMU versus ADU

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 09:57 PM »
I also like ADAMSON's chances against ADMU ..... their core is ripe & primed for a Finals stint.

They were less than a quarter away from beating ADMU during the 1st round ...... they just couldnt buy a basket the rest of the way ..... that classic Norman Black defense was just killer.

I'm not at all updated on the semis/Finals mechanics ....... have heard that it's thrice-to-beat incentive in the Finals for a 14-0 sweeping team ??

Doesn't seem fan-friendly ..... not unless your an ADMU fan.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 10:02 PM »
stepladder semis kung 14-0 sweep.. 3rd vs. 4th in one-game playoff.. winner battles 2nd seed.. 2nd seed has twice-to-beat advantage.. winner of stepladder semis has to win thrice to get the crown.. team that swept elims need only to win twice.. that's pretty much it.. so if Ateneo sweeps, might as well give them the crown.. winning three against this Ateneo squad is doable but unlikely to happen..

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 10:09 PM »
Damm right ..... might as well give the crown to ADMU should they sweep.

NU or ADU should derail the potential sweep, so we'll have the usual semis/Finals format.

A thrice-to-beat is just too much of an incentive - in the Finals no less.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 10:22 PM »
they should have just made it a best-of-5 series.. I understand a best-of-3 is really not favorable to the team that swept but a best-of-5 is fair enough.. if they could manage to win 14 in a row, what's one more win right?

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 10:26 PM »
this is good for ADMU fans

but isnt it that there are times a team peaks in the tail end and plays very well, it should have been outright finals but a final series should make it more exciting

its nice to see a team who sweeps everything gets beaten when it matters most

dont be mad at me ADMU fans, im just saying its always nice to see teams fight it out till the end

who would have thought Dallas would win the NBA crown this year?

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 10:29 PM »
Yup ...... Best-of-5 should be just about fair for the two Finalists.

Stop the sweep ..... NU or ADU, FTW.

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #283 on: Sep 01, 2011 at 11:06 PM »
It will still be Ateneo's crown this year even if they lose a game. I've seen most of the games and all I can say is Ateneo has the better roster this season. Sadly this is one of the worst season because there are less talents unlike the years we've seen in UAAP. Case in point, how many games have you seen with close endings, what about overtimes? Gone is "it's anybody's ballgame", gone are the stand-outs and gone are match-ups/hype among teams. Talent is not evenly distributed among teams.

Ateneo can win for straight years with Slaughter and Ravena provided they don't go pro soon or get injured. They also have a very deep bench, their program has progressed through the years and after painstakingly losing a lot of heartbreaking games against the best teams out there. It's like La Salle in the late 90's when they were branded as "bridesmades" during Villavicencio and Uichico's time. It would take years for a team to take form and win a championship.

La Salle, it's already gone since Cortez's time. I've noticed that after the discovery of ineligible players, the team has gone down the drain. And Pumaren's style have been cracked through the years of coaching. Most of the plays have been analyzed and they know how to win against Pumaren since. Usually they have a good point guard/guard carrying the team. It's not really a go to guy but more of the one who makes the plays.

I want to see new champions now like NU, Adamson, UE even UP. Saka na ulit yung rivalries ng La Salle-Ateneo or FEU UST.
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2011 at 09:42 AM by krets pulpol »
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #284 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 10:15 AM »
I think the only team that can beat the mighty Ateneo in Finals is FEU. If it's best of 3, I'll bet for the Tamaraws..

Adamson's Nuyles is really impressive, needs to mature though gusto nya catch and shoot when he can drive it to the hoop and get fouls from the opposing big men.. their starting PG (forgot his name) is a little erratic and parang tira lang ng tira, I prefer their back up PG..

The Pats way...

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #285 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 10:55 AM »
masyadong kulang sa tao yung FEU to match-up well with Ateneo.. their guards are good but their frontline is depleted.. kayang-kaya rin pigilin ng guards ng Ateneo sina Garcia, Tolomia at Romeo.. if those 3 can't score, hirap ang FEU maghanap ng puntos.. their big men are more comfortable playing the perimeter than banging bodies inside.. Ramos and Escoto have decent jumpers but if they don't fall, mahihirapan sila sa loob against Slaughter, Chua, Salva and Sumalinog..

Adamson still has the biggest chance of beating Ateneo.. man for man, kaya nila tapatan yung Ateneo.. Lester Alvarez yung back-up nila and he really is better than Canada.. I think Leo Austria prefers Alvarez to lead the 2nd unit para may stability.. he already has Cabrera hoisting up shots at will sa 2nd unit niya.. he doesn't need another one..

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
« Reply #286 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 11:09 AM »
masyadong kulang sa tao yung FEU to match-up well with Ateneo.. their guards are good but their frontline is depleted.. kayang-kaya rin pigilin ng guards ng Ateneo sina Garcia, Tolomia at Romeo.. if those 3 can't score, hirap ang FEU maghanap ng puntos.. their big men are more comfortable playing the perimeter than banging bodies inside.. Ramos and Escoto have decent jumpers but if they don't fall, mahihirapan sila sa loob against Slaughter, Chua, Salva and Sumalinog..

Adamson still has the biggest chance of beating Ateneo.. man for man, kaya nila tapatan yung Ateneo.. Lester Alvarez yung back-up nila and he really is better than Canada.. I think Leo Austria prefers Alvarez to lead the 2nd unit para may stability.. he already has Cabrera hoisting up shots at will sa 2nd unit niya.. he doesn't need another one..

Isn't it the other way around? Alvarez is the starting point guard and he is supposedly their go-to guy, hence the "tira lang ng tira" attitude. CaƱada is the back-up point guard.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #287 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 11:19 AM »
ADU can match up better against ADMU compared to FEU w/c is always forced to play smal with their 3 guards Garcia, Romero, and Tolomia. Kapos din sa BIG men walng banger in the mold of a Cervantes. Their small forward position is vacant with JR Cawalig very poor performances.

Lets hope ADU can beat ADMU come Sat Sept 10 so it will just make it a best of three finals for both teams.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #288 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 12:45 PM »
Big men of ADU is not much of a factor this year, colina is having a poor season while the power forward (forgot his name again) whom I thought could be the next Asaytono is still playing like asaytone but more on the yabang side na lang, hehe.. yes its Canada the back up PG, I prefer him over Alvarez..

FEU is really missing Cervantes, wala ngang strong man, only bringas kaya lang medyo mabagal and no post up skills..

Next year sana NU can have a good PG to pair with Parks..

The Pats way...

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #289 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 01:30 PM »
Eric Camson is having a great season. ADU needs better performances from Janus Lozada and Austin Manyara in order to challenge ADMU in their Sept 10 encounter.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline wacksy1021

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #290 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 03:07 PM »
Kapos din sa BIG men walng banger in the mold of a Cervantes. Their small forward position is vacant with JR Cawalig very poor performances.

Aside from Cervantes' power plays inside, malaking kawalan din si Pipo at si Sanga. Si Sanga kasi kahit sa labas naglalaro kaya nya gumawa ng sarili niyang tira and bigla nalang bibira sa 3 at pag bwenas pa siya lagi top scorer nila dati sa ibang laro....

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #291 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 05:49 PM »
DLSU was spoiled by 9 years (I think) of Ritualo and Casio. Great shooters na mapagkakatiwalaan in the clutch. 3 point shooters at that so kung naghahabol ka malaking bagay din. Marata was supposed to be the replacement but sadly he's not even close.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #292 on: Sep 02, 2011 at 06:35 PM »
DLSU was spoiled by 9 years (I think) of Ritualo and Casio. Great shooters na mapagkakatiwalaan in the clutch. 3 point shooters at that so kung naghahabol ka malaking bagay din. Marata was supposed to be the replacement but sadly he's not even close.

playing time affects one's confidence. di naman nabababad ng husto si marata. at pag nagmintis labas agad di kagaya kay ritualo who had the coach's confidence and had the license to shoot all night. casio on the other hand controlled the ball, and so knew when to shoot and when to set up his teammates.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #293 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 04:54 PM »
what a performance by UST in the 2nd half.. they limited Adamson to 16pts the entire 2nd half after scoring 42 in the 1st.. they came back from being down by as much as 17pts sa 2nd quarter..

Teng may be overrated but one thing he never fails to give is energy.. parang walang kapaguran yung tao.. sugod lang ng sugod.. 1 point lang sa 1st half but he scored 12pts in the 3rd alone para makahabol yung UST.. the way UST is playing this season, mukhang safe pa ng isang taon si Pido.. ;D

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #294 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 05:06 PM »
what a game by ust! down by 17 at the start of the second half...up by 16 at the end. What a game!
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #295 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 05:42 PM »
i always believe Jarencio is handling UST well . Its just a matter of getting the right players to fit in his system.
ngaun tagilid pa ADU sa twice to beat advantage.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #296 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 06:08 PM »
Ateneo makes a statement by limiting NU to the lowest scoring output by any team since the UAAP started archiving records in 2003.

ADMU 61-39 NU

Parks was virtually shut down.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #297 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 06:50 PM »
what a performance by UST in the 2nd half.. they limited Adamson to 16pts the entire 2nd half after scoring 42 in the 1st.. they came back from being down by as much as 17pts sa 2nd quarter..

Teng may be overrated but one thing he never fails to give is energy.. parang walang kapaguran yung tao.. sugod lang ng sugod.. 1 point lang sa 1st half but he scored 12pts in the 3rd alone para makahabol yung UST.. the way UST is playing this season, mukhang safe pa ng isang taon si Pido.. ;D

if jeric, the son, is overrated, alvin, the father, was underrated. but when it comes to giving 100% energy every game, it's like father like son. :)

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #298 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 08:12 PM »
Nice ...... one more win (against FEU or NU) will lock-up a Final Four slot for UST.

I cant recall the last time that UST made a big comeback against a highly-seeded opponent.

Bal David, Henry Ong & Dale Singson would have been proud.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #299 on: Sep 03, 2011 at 08:27 PM »
Nice ...... one more win (against FEU or NU) will lock-up a Final Four slot for UST.

I cant recall the last time that UST made a big comeback against a highly-seeded opponent.

Bal David, Henry Ong & Dale Singson would have been proud.

UST can even gain twice to beat advantage should they sweep their remaining games and ADMU beats ADU next Sat.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!