Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205727 times)

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2011
« Reply #390 on: Oct 01, 2011 at 09:23 PM »
badtrip kasi Adamson nagpatalo sa FEU. sila lang may kayang tumalo sa Ateneo eh. FEU walang ka-play-play kanina.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #391 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 03:07 AM »
There was really no clear rival to ateneo this season. Maybe next year will be different as Slaughter may end up turning pro.

Anyways, bonfire muna! :D

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #392 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 07:45 AM »
(UAAP) Congratulations to Ateneo.  It was what everybody expected all along.  With a powerhouse cast and a very supportive alumni, Ateneo truly deserves this rare 4-peat.  I would have wanted Adamson than FEU.  Adamson matches up well with Ateneo and it would have been a much exciting series.  Kaso, Adamson is kontra pelo naman to FEU! Ganyan ang basketball talaga.  Great UAAP year especially for Ateneans and a forgettable year for LaSalians.  Inalat ang La Salle this year but it's very interesting how their rebuilding shapes up.

(NCAA)  With Letran's upset of Baste, we now have a Final Four series for all the 4 top teams.   Great win by Letran.  Bilib talaga ako kay Kevin Alas, malupit yun bata na ito.  Earlier in the game, he made a wicked twisting layup that only Samboy Lim can do!  Here's the scenario of the Final Four according to inboundpass.com :  At 13-3, Letran stayed a half-game behind the second-place San Beda Red Lions, but Alas said it didn’t matter if they were the second or third seed. They still have two remaining games, against the St. Benilde Blazers on October 3, and then a matchup against those same Red Lions on October 7. Meanwhile, the Stags dropped to 15-1, still good for first place. They have two remaining games as well on their plate, versus the Lyceum Pirates on October 5, and the Red Lions on October 12.

The last two games of my team San Beda against Letran and Baste would be very, very interesting and exciting...

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #393 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 07:51 AM »
simula na rebuilding process ng La Salle.. Dindo Pumaren and his coaching staff have resigned..

http://sports.inquirer.net/16327/dindo-pumaren-resigns-as-la-salle-mentor

First it was Jong Uichico who was rumored to coach La Salle next year.  Now, heard from the grapevine that it's gonna be Gee Abanilla and Tanquincen as his assistant coach. 

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #394 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 09:02 AM »
badtrip kasi Adamson nagpatalo sa FEU. sila lang may kayang tumalo sa Ateneo eh. FEU walang ka-play-play kanina.

hindi nagpatalo ang Adamson sa FEU. Tinalo sila ng FEU ;D
malamya kasi ang depensa ng mga guards ng Adamson kina Garcia, Romeo at Tolomia kaya sinaksakan sila ng sinaksakan. Alvarez relied too much on the help defense kaya pag maunahan na siya di na niya hinahabol pa. It was only Canada who really gave it all.

Di umubra yung 3-guard line-up ng FEU sa Ateneo kasi masipag sa individual defense sina Long, Monfort at Ravena pati ang mga pamalit na sina Gonzaga at Austria. kahit saan umikot-ikot sina Garcia, Romeo at Tolomia nakasunod ang mga guards ng Ateneo. Dapat nag-adjust yung coach ng FEU kaso pinilit pa rin niya yung 3-guard line-up. siguro kung si Capacio pa rin ang coach ng FEU baka iba ang kinalabasan.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 10:50 AM »
First it was Jong Uichico who was rumored to coach La Salle next year.  Now, heard from the grapevine that it's gonna be Gee Abanilla and Tanquincen as his assistant coach. 

I am absolutely sure Tanquincen will not be an assistant coach of any college team anytime soon.. he just got promoted to head coach of Ginebra (co-head coach by name but he's really running the team) and the PBA does not allow head coaches to have another coaching job at another league..

if La Salle wants to depart from the Pumaren system, Uichico would be the most viable candidate.. Abanilla is more of a defensive coach.. and he's good at it.. a tandem of Uichico and Abanilla would be good for La Salle..

Offline Hitman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Signature Move: The Sharpshooter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #396 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 10:47 PM »
Return of the comeback para kay Jong yun kung totoo man. Diba siya nag pinalitan ni Franz dati? Deja vu! ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #397 on: Oct 02, 2011 at 11:44 PM »
Di umubra yung 3-guard line-up ng FEU sa Ateneo kasi masipag sa individual defense sina Long, Monfort at Ravena pati ang mga pamalit na sina Gonzaga at Austria. kahit saan umikot-ikot sina Garcia, Romeo at Tolomia nakasunod ang mga guards ng Ateneo. Dapat nag-adjust yung coach ng FEU kaso pinilit pa rin niya yung 3-guard line-up. siguro kung si Capacio pa rin ang coach ng FEU baka iba ang kinalabasan.

No choice for FEU but to maximize the talents of their 3 guards (Tolomia, Garcia & Romero). They have no players to play the wing position. Wla ksi si JR Cawalig and Exemeniano is also a defensive guard.
They just cant match up with Ateneo.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #398 on: Oct 03, 2011 at 10:31 PM »
Jeron Teng is, supposedly, a 100% lock for UST.

I stand corrected.  The kid seems to want to go to Ateneo.

"Kiko to Iggy" means Francis Xavier (his current school) to Ignatius of Loyola (Ateneo).
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2011 at 10:33 PM by Verbl Kint »

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #399 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 07:00 AM »
Jeron Teng to Ateneo? Bigay na natin un 5peat. Its a guarantee.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #400 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 07:55 AM »
I stand corrected.  The kid seems to want to go to Ateneo.

"Kiko to Iggy" means Francis Xavier (his current school) to Ignatius of Loyola (Ateneo).

Can photoshop experts chime in on its authenticity?  Parang kuryente kasi, tsaka too good to be true.

Just to give a background on this kid, he once scored 37 out of 70 field goals in a high school game (yup, one game).  Mostly from the perimeter, too; 104 points in all. :o

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #401 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 09:52 AM »
baka mawalan na ng gana ang mga UAAP supporters if Ateneo will always have the best players in the country.  Ravena and Slaughter won their first championship on their first year, which means they still have 4 more years to play, these 2 alone are unstoppable then another very good player coming, wow, 8 straight championship is not impossible.. 
although it's not their fault if players want to play for them but at least dapat my rules on recruiting HS players..  :) 
The Pats way...

Offline Hitman

• DVD Guru
  • Signature Move: The Sharpshooter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #402 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 10:12 AM »
I do believe that there are still a lot of good prospects, problema di lang sila nadidiscover coz they're in the province and some not so famous school. If I were to scout prospects I'll start in the visayas and mindanao area. Ang daming may potentials doon given the proper training and education. Masyado kasi nakafocus sa Manila at big universities ang mga teams.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 10:56 AM »
baka mawalan na ng gana ang mga UAAP supporters if Ateneo will always have the best players in the country.  Ravena and Slaughter won their first championship on their first year, which means they still have 4 more years to play, these 2 alone are unstoppable then another very good player coming, wow, 8 straight championship is not impossible.. 
although it's not their fault if players want to play for them but at least dapat my rules on recruiting HS players..  :) 

I think Slaughter only has 1 year left with Ateneo if he decides not to go pro.. He played 3 years for UV in the CESAFI and that's counted as part of the 5 playing years in the UAAP if a player is a transferee.. but I think he's going to go pro.. wala na kasing challenge sa UAAP for him.. he needs to go pro so he toughens up fast..

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #404 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 11:58 AM »
I do believe that there are still a lot of good prospects, problema di lang sila nadidiscover coz they're in the province and some not so famous school. If I were to scout prospects I'll start in the visayas and mindanao area. Ang daming may potentials doon given the proper training and education. Masyado kasi nakafocus sa Manila at big universities ang mga teams.

Actually, aside from the Manila-based schools which usually produce the best junior prospects (usually from SBC, SSC, ADMU, UST, Letran, Mapua, etc) ..... a good majority of those who went on to have great senior & pro careers came from provincial programs.

Right off the bat ..... from the north came guys like Ildefonso, Aquino, Espino, Santos, Meneses, Miller, Tugade, David & many more particularly from Pampanga, Pangasinan, etc.  ..... south has guys like Yap, Limpot, Locsin, Duremdes, Lastimosa, etc.

FEU is a good example of sound provincial-based recruitment ..... ADMU recognizes as well, this since they strategically recruited south-based bigs like Slaughter & Baclao - both instrumental in their recent 'chips.

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
« Reply #405 on: Oct 04, 2011 at 11:41 PM »
Actually, aside from the Manila-based schools which usually produce the best junior prospects (usually from SBC, SSC, ADMU, UST, Letran, Mapua, etc) ..... a good majority of those who went on to have great senior & pro careers came from provincial programs.

Right off the bat ..... from the north came guys like Ildefonso, Aquino, Espino, Santos, Meneses, Miller, Tugade, David & many more particularly from Pampanga, Pangasinan, etc.  ..... south has guys like Yap, Limpot, Locsin, Duremdes, Lastimosa, etc.

FEU is a good example of sound provincial-based recruitment ..... ADMU recognizes as well, this since they strategically recruited south-based bigs like Slaughter & Baclao - both instrumental in their recent 'chips.

I like how Escoto played in his rookie year. If he beefs up without losing his agility, and with his good touch from the outside, FEU will have a player who can play inside and outside!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 01:22 PM »
With the Pumarens out of the picture, some sources revealed that Jeron Teng is wearing green for the next UAAP season.
He's gona be the STAR of DLSU.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #407 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 01:37 PM »
They should also convince Tim Cone to coach so it would be more interesting for Norman Black. But what the hell are we doing with UAAP and NCAA? Amateur games are already gone, it became more serious and business only. Gone is school pride with genuine local talents. They should get some more in the north and south like some of you mentioned.

Regarding Jeron Teng, sorry don't know this kid that much but likely he'll go to La Salle because Ateneo is already a superstar team. They still have Ravena and that goofy looking Monfort. Ka height lang yata nung Jeron Teng yung mga yun so no position for him in that team. And likely Xavier kids go green like Yeo and Tang.

By the way, La Salle needs a serious overhaul. Pumarens and Uichico shouldn't enter because they need somebody more serious. By the way, what happened to Uichico's son in Ateneo? Wala yatang nangyari sa batang yun.
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011 at 01:43 PM by krets pulpol »
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline onedown

• DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 02:21 PM »
krets,

cholo villanueva has been named interim coach of la salle. there are talks that gee abanilla is being considered. as for johann uichico, i think he already graduated.
peace man!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #409 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 02:29 PM »
Danding is bankrolling La Sall na daw so the chances of Uichico or Abanilla coaching are high.. Cholo Villanueva has just been named interim coach until they finally announce one..

about Jeron Teng, I still think UST has a higher chance of getting him.. his father Alvin seems to be a very involved dad when it comes to his sons' careers so them being in one team seems like a better fit for them..

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #410 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 06:20 PM »
Like everyone here, I sure miss the days when UAAP recruitment was on a level playing field ..... most schools then didn't have active scouting arms & mostly relied on their own high-school prospects & walk-in/try-outs.

IMO it all began to unravel in the 90's when DLSU (actually even earlier, DLSU was already recruiting stateside e.g. Lago bros) heavily recruited Filams through US-based sports agent & alumni Mike Gonzales .... right off the bat, Cardona, Cortez, Allado, Wilson, Jose, Ramos, Castro, etc.

To an extent, ADMU took the cue and got their own Filams (Alvarez, Cruz, etc) ...... ADMU's Fr. Caluag saw the negative effects of this & even sent out an editorial of sorts, about the displacement of local prospects all because of the need to win.

Almost parallel with the Filam movement, was the increased recruitment on products from Ato Badolato extremely successful SBC program.

Fast forward to the present, where recruitment has become science & a passion to officials of some teams.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 06:39 PM »
i hope jeron teng eventually lands in UST.

UST has done well this year and while Camus is already out next year, the good perfromance of the team this year would surely motivate the rest of the returning players. I have given up on UST for the past several years but this year, gave me great hopes next year.

it should be very rewarding i think for alvin to see both his sons contributing heaviliy to profel UST to greatness again
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 06:41 PM »
The UAAP season is done but we still have the NCAA to ponder about.
If Letran can beat San Beda this friday, then they'll gain the twice to beat advantage.

I still want San Beda to prove to me that they can win it all via ALL FILIPINO and not with a Big Black African Import.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 06:58 PM »
The UAAP season is done but we still have the NCAA to ponder about.
If Letran can beat San Beda this friday, then they'll gain the twice to beat advantage.

I still want San Beda to prove to me that they can win it all via ALL FILIPINO and not with a Big Black African Import.

Actually, if Letran wins this Friday and San Beda wins against Baste, playoff sila for the 2nd spot.. Letran already has 3 losses kasi while San Beda only has two.. if Letran plays the same way they played against Baste, delikado ang San Beda and going to the final four, malaking bagay yan for Letran.. I actually see a Letran-San Sebastian finals.. both Letran and San Sebastian have been consistent all season long.. San Beda has been on and off..
« Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011 at 07:06 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 07:29 PM »
Yes CJLC vs SSC.
 i like that kid Kevin Alas ang kapal ng mukha isnt afraid to take the big shots when the game is on the line.
 sa SSC naman that Pascual is just shining this season.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: Oct 05, 2011 at 08:03 PM »
Yes CJLC vs SSC.
 i like that kid Kevin Alas ang kapal ng mukha isnt afraid to take the big shots when the game is on the line.
 sa SSC naman that Pascual is just shining this season.

I guess it also has to do with his dad being the coach.. sa Baste, Ian Sangalang is really the big difference this season.. ang laki ng improvement niya.. ang ganda na ng footwork at post moves.. and he's just about to turn 20 years old.. Pascual is the most consistent sa Baste and he's been big in the clutch as well.. tamad lang dumepensa..

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: Oct 06, 2011 at 12:20 AM »
I still foresee SBC vs SSC in the finals.  :D

Letran is peaking at the right time, but the Bedans have been here before and have championship experience.

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #417 on: Oct 06, 2011 at 10:14 AM »
I hope my Letran Knights will not have the same fate as Adamson.. beating the the top team in elims then losing in the final 4.. In fairness to Kevin Alas, he still ask his coach dad through eye to eye contact before taking thoses big shots.. and I think sya lang talaga ang pwede..

Ot.. La Salle was so closed on getting him 3 years ago, but his Dad asked him to stick na lang with Letran.
The Pats way...

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: Oct 06, 2011 at 03:29 PM »
I hope my Letran Knights will not have the same fate as Adamson.. beating the the top team in elims then losing in the final 4.. In fairness to Kevin Alas, he still ask his coach dad through eye to eye contact before taking thoses big shots.. and I think sya lang talaga ang pwede..

Ot.. La Salle was so closed on getting him 3 years ago, but his Dad asked him to stick na lang with Letran.

I think Louie Alas thinks his son can have more exposure at Letran under his watchful eyes.
Another reason could be that he wants to show loyalty and gratitude to Letran by offering his sons' (Kevin & Kristopher) services coz Letran has been good to him through out the years he served as Letran's Coach.
He wants his family to serve Letran as well.

Btw, that Letran BIG lanky center Almazan if i'm not mistaken can really block shots real hard just like spiking a volleyball. He gonna be the X-factor should Letran gain the twice to beat advantage in this current NCAA season.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2011 at 07:40 AM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: Oct 10, 2011 at 02:47 PM »
Actually, if Letran wins this Friday and San Beda wins against Baste, playoff sila for the 2nd spot.. Letran already has 3 losses kasi while San Beda only has two.. if Letran plays the same way they played against Baste, delikado ang San Beda and going to the final four, malaking bagay yan for Letran.. I actually see a Letran-San Sebastian finals.. both Letran and San Sebastian have been consistent all season long.. San Beda has been on and off..

Watched the San Beda vs Letran live last Friday at the Filoil Arena.  Despite the many fouls of San Beda courtesy of the whistle-happy referees (penalty situation in just 3 minutes? c'mon refs), the Red Lions still managed to win big vs Letran.  Great defense on Kevin Alas who couldn't get his game going.  And what an offensive onslaught by Lanete, exploding with 28 points.  Also playing heads up was Anthony Semerad who just recovered from dengue and Amer Baser who made some spectacular plays and crossover moves. 

The game on Wednesday will be another exciting match between SBC and SSC.  Should the Red Lions defeat the Stags by more than 2 points, they will be No.1 due to the quotient rule (yes no more playoff game), and face the JRU Heavy Bombers in the Final Four. A loss to San Sebastian however puts them into action again versus Letran.