Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205722 times)

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2011
« Reply #420 on: Oct 10, 2011 at 02:50 PM »
"Letran ended its campaign with a 14-4 record, a huge improvement from their showing last season, when they finished out of the Final Four with a sub-.500, 7-9 card, breaking a streak of seven consecutive post-season appearances..."

Congratulations to Coach Louie Alas and the Letran Knights...

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #421 on: Oct 10, 2011 at 03:05 PM »
According to this article Buenafe might be back next UAAP season and Slaughter hasn't committed yet. Maybe he's going to another league, probably the NCAA in US? Still they will be a team to be reckoned with.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/10/09/11/ateneos-salva-promises-5th-straight-title

« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2011 at 03:07 PM by krets pulpol »
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #422 on: Oct 10, 2011 at 05:39 PM »
According to this article Buenafe might be back next UAAP season and Slaughter hasn't committed yet. Maybe he's going to another league, probably the NCAA in US? Still they will be a team to be reckoned with.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/10/09/11/ateneos-salva-promises-5th-straight-title

Greg will either go pro or stay with Ateneo. He won't be considering the US NCAA (or be even recruited by NCAA schools) since he already played 4 years of college ball in the Philippines.

As for Ryan, he was at the bonfire. I hope he gets to play next year. However, if he doesn't it's fine with me as long as he gets to finish his studies in admu.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #423 on: Oct 11, 2011 at 02:35 PM »
i feel Ateneo will be able to convince Greg Slaughter to play his final year and go for the rare 5peat.
As for Ryan, he's gonna be a huge lift he's back for next season now that Kirk Long wont be around anymore.

SSC vs SBC is gonna be war tomorrow.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #424 on: Oct 11, 2011 at 03:13 PM »
i feel Ateneo will be able to convince Greg Slaughter to play his final year and go for the rare 5peat.
As for Ryan, he's gonna be a huge lift he's back for next season now that Kirk Long wont be around anymore.

SSC vs SBC is gonna be war tomorrow.

SBC will do its best to win and force SSC to go up against Letran in the final four, the only team that beat SSC. Despite losing to JRU in the elims, SBC feels that JRU is the lighter opponent.  (Mahirap kalaban si Louie Alas sa semis ).   SSC on the other hand will also do everything to remain on top and have a morale boosting win going into the final four.  Hell, it's war indeed!

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #425 on: Oct 11, 2011 at 03:42 PM »
SBC will do its best to win and force SSC to go up against Letran in the final four, the only team that beat SSC. Despite losing to JRU in the elims, SBC feels that JRU is the lighter opponent.  (Mahirap kalaban si Louie Alas sa semis ).   SSC on the other hand will also do everything to remain on top and have a morale boosting win going into the final four.  Hell, it's war indeed!

although I know Letran has a slim chance on beating either Beda or Baste, I would prefer the latter as we already beat them and Beda's D is just too much and very physical.. :)
The Pats way...

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #426 on: Oct 11, 2011 at 03:55 PM »
although I know Letran has a slim chance on beating either Beda or Baste, I would prefer the latter as we already beat them and Beda's D is just too much and very physical.. :)

San Sebastian is a very good team.  They have three top caliber athletes in Abueva, Pascual and Sanglang. And they have Coach Turo Valenzona as consultant.  "Turing", as he is fondly called, is one of the master tacticians in basketball.  Basta hinawakan ni Valenzona, nag chachampion. 

So just in case your team (Letran) face them in the final 4, go beat the lights out of them ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #427 on: Oct 11, 2011 at 10:20 PM »
for the record i'm siding with SSC in tomorrow's game vs SBC.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #428 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 01:06 AM »
looks like Norman Black's going back to the PBA after next season.. and with this development, I think Ateneo will really try to convince Slaughter to play one more year to get that 5-peat..

http://sports.inquirer.net/20045/norman-black-to-talk-'n-text-chot-reyes-to-smart-gilas-five

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #429 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 02:53 AM »
looks like Norman Black's going back to the PBA after next season.. and with this development, I think Ateneo will really try to convince Slaughter to play one more year to get that 5-peat..

http://sports.inquirer.net/20045/norman-black-to-talk-'n-text-chot-reyes-to-smart-gilas-five

This will be a big blow to Ateneo if he goes.  I hope asst coach Sandy Arespacochaga is up to it.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #430 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 08:09 AM »
^ A good, laid-out plan by the MVP group actually ..... Black would have nothing more left to prove in the UAAP, should he get the 5th one next season.

Toroman as a GILAS consultant would likely be more cheaper than him being the head-coach ..... which makes Reyes a decent head-coach replacement - who employs somewhat similar offensive patterns in his TnT team anyway.

Plus, Chot Reyes works best when handling a loaded, athletic team ..... something which GILAS will still have. 

GILAS 2.0 will still have Douthit, Tiu, Slaughter & Ramos. To fill some of the slots (heard that the PBA is dipping it's hands again soon), they'll likely tap from a pool of Abueva, Pascual, Parks, Ravena, Lanete, Sangalan, Alas, Garcia, etc ..... plus other good prospects like Ferrer, Escoto & even Camus ...... Romeo too, just have him tone down a bit.

Good for Sandy Arespacochaga if he gets the ADMU gig ...... this old classmate of mine has paid his dues & should make for a decent replacement for Black.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #431 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM »
i've seen Sandy on the Ateneo bench since the Lipa days so most probably he'll be elevated to head coach anew with Jamike serving as his deputy.

Gilas 2 needs more height, a strong athletic powerforward of at least 6'9 that can run the breaks should help in their succeeding campaigns.

I still feel Toroman should be given another shot, iba ang dating ng foreign coaches sa mga Pinoy. Athletes seem to concentrate more and they're more confident and excited with a foreign coach compared to being coached by a fellow Filipino.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #432 on: Oct 12, 2011 at 05:36 PM »
Convincing win by SBC too bad it isnt over yet. magpapatayan pa ule sila ng SSC for the top spot come Fri.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #433 on: Oct 13, 2011 at 02:08 AM »

Gilas 2 needs more height, a strong athletic powerforward of at least 6'9 that can run the breaks should help in their succeeding campaigns.

Junmar Fajardo fits the bill. 

Too bad Mon Fernandez doesn't want to share his ward with the national team.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #434 on: Oct 13, 2011 at 09:14 AM »
Japet Aguilar has the height and athleticism but he doesnt have the body to bang and of course he doesnt have the head to play consistent basketball. This kid is certainly a waste.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline blackie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ayun eh!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #435 on: Oct 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM »
Greg will either go pro or stay with Ateneo. He won't be considering the US NCAA (or be even recruited by NCAA schools) since he already played 4 years of college ball in the Philippines.

As for Ryan, he was at the bonfire. I hope he gets to play next year. However, if he doesn't it's fine with me as long as he gets to finish his studies in admu.

Anybody know why he was not scouted earlier?  He played ball in Cebu right before this season right?
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2011 at 10:39 AM by blackie »
Panasonic/Denon/Wharfedale/M&K/Pioneer

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #436 on: Oct 13, 2011 at 01:38 PM »
Anybody know why he was not scouted earlier?  He played ball in Cebu right before this season right?

I think the UAAP and NCAA teams weren't willing to gamble on him then.. and his mom being a Cebuana made it easier for him to play in Cebu.. napansin siya dahil dun sa match-up nila ni Junmar Fajardo of UC.. he was really not impressive when he started.. malaki lang.. but when he and Fajardo started playing against each other, nagkaroon na ng skills..

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #437 on: Oct 13, 2011 at 03:38 PM »
i have no knowledge of this Junmar Fajardo. How big is he? Is he a mobile big man that's athletic and also have the skills to fit a run and gun team?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #438 on: Oct 13, 2011 at 03:50 PM »
i have no knowledge of this Junmar Fajardo. How big is he? Is he a mobile big man that's athletic and also have the skills to fit a run and gun team?

Fajardo is a legit 6'9" ..... he's very slow, hence we wont be seeing him in fastbreaks anytime soon.

However, he has very good hands (which is essential for post players) and has more than decent skills around the post. He's clearly a lot better than Slaughter.

He didn't make the jump to the PBA D-League last season - even for a few games, which would have made him eligible for the recent PBA draft (POWERADE was willing to make him the top pick, if he entered).

Word is, he'll make the jump to the ABL instead ...... likely for the SMC team.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #439 on: Oct 13, 2011 at 04:12 PM »
Fajardo's already signed with San Miguel in the ABL.. he has a better post game than Slaughter and a decent mid-range jumper.. we won't be seeing him with Gilas now that he has signed with SMB..

next year's PBA draft would actually be interesting if both Fajardo and Slaughter apply.. at 23-24 years old by then, they have time to mature and be the next dominant big men in the country.. barring any serious injury..

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #440 on: Oct 13, 2011 at 06:09 PM »
Convincing win by SBC too bad it isnt over yet. magpapatayan pa ule sila ng SSC for the top spot come Fri.

Watched this game up close.  Nice view from the courtside (near the scorer's table).  Perfect defense by the Lions, shutting down Pascual and frustrating Abueva.  Hindi gumana yun Big 3 ng Baste.  While the offense of San Beda, particularly Lanete and Semerad clicked.  Funny thing is, NCAA decided to go for a playoff.  Before kasi quotient system lang as announced last game even by the broadcasters.  Oh well, sayang din naman ang gate receipts. 

So the Elimination Trilogy happens tomorrow.  Hope I can watch again, if my schedule permits ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #441 on: Oct 14, 2011 at 02:20 PM »
its Anthony Semerad thats givin SBC a great lift. His 3pt shooting is hurting their opponents and he's getting more confidence as his shots are falling in.
Calvin Abueva is like a loose train, wala sa direction ang mga tira nyang alahoy eh si Mac Cardona lng ang pinakaconsistent sa ganun klaseng tear drop shots.

So far SBC is playing very well as a team and living up to the challenge that they can win even w/o an import.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #442 on: Oct 14, 2011 at 09:39 PM »
Just learned that SBC beat SSC to clinch the top spot.
It seems SBC is peaking at the right time, they are ROCK SOLID in their last 3 games so i'm begining to believe they really are worthy to win this season's championship.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #443 on: Oct 15, 2011 at 03:45 PM »
Just learned that SBC beat SSC to clinch the top spot.
It seems SBC is peaking at the right time, they are ROCK SOLID in their last 3 games so i'm begining to believe they really are worthy to win this season's championship.

What a thriller of a game.  It was a shootout match between Abueva(26 points) and Lanete(27 pts).  Abueva had a monster of a game with 12 rebounds, 6 assists but it was Lanete's overall offensive brilliance that stood out.  His two treys coming in the last 2 minutes, the last one for the lead with 18 seconds left gave the Lions the win.  Classic game indeed.   

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #444 on: Oct 15, 2011 at 04:05 PM »
They'll have their REAL BATTLE come next week.
Its gonna be FOR REAL!!!
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #445 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 11:36 AM »
Looks like UPSET in the making as Letran beat SSC to force a rubber natch.
SBC looks good and now await their Finals opponent.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #446 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM »
Looks like UPSET in the making as Letran beat SSC to force a rubber natch.
SBC looks good and now await their Finals opponent.

complete game by Letran, rubber match tom..
The Pats way...

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #447 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 01:54 PM »
Kontrapelo.  That's what Letran is to Baste.  This favors San Beda as they now have more days to rest and prepare for the finals on Monday.

Looking good for the Red Lions.  Hwag lang magbago yun laro nila particularly their tough defense and I think they will be able to defend their crown. 

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #448 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 01:56 PM »
Go San Beda fight!

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #449 on: Oct 18, 2011 at 02:40 PM »
Go San Beda fight!

Umpah, Umpah! Heyukimkumkawah! ;D

It would be nice to win and prove to everyone that San Beda can do it without a black import ;D