Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205719 times)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2011
« Reply #480 on: Dec 05, 2011 at 01:39 PM »
The biggest college players face off in a few minutes at Philippine Collegiate Champions League:

• 6-11 Junmar Fajardo
  • 7-0 Greg Slaughter

Ateneo De Manila vs. University of Cebu

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #481 on: Dec 05, 2011 at 02:18 PM »
maganda talaga yung footwork ni Fajardo.. tumatalon pa nga.. playing for Bobby Parks and Alex English will improve his game a lot.. he'll be a force when he plays for Ginebra/Petron in the PBA next season.. ;D

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #482 on: Dec 05, 2011 at 03:20 PM »
maganda talaga yung footwork ni Fajardo.. tumatalon pa nga.. playing for Bobby Parks and Alex English will improve his game a lot.. he'll be a force when he plays for Ginebra/Petron in the PBA next season.. ;D

Former NBA player Alex English is his personal skills coach, and with Bobby Parks also there, we might see this guy bring the Philippines to the next level.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #483 on: Dec 05, 2011 at 04:29 PM »

Yup, it's like one big SMC "setup" from the start ..... POWERADE management was quoted to tab Fajardo with the 1st overall pick, during the recent PBA 2011 draft (even with the presence of the GILAS boys).

Everyone is that high on this guy ..... like I said, he's must better than Slaughter - even after Slaughter's gig with GILAS.

It was quite a mystery when Fajardo didn't sign-up with any PBA D-League team - which is a requirement for PBA draft eligibility. Even a 2-game stint was enough to be eligibile, yet Fajardo did not sign-up with any D-League team.

Lo and behold, it turns out that Fajardo will play for SMC's ABL team.

With GINEBRA & PETRON having an additional 1st round pick next year (aside from their own picks) - thanks to BARAKO BULL & SHOPINAS respectively ..... it's very likely that Fajardo goes SMC next year.

Hehe, Bert Lina's pimp teams have done it again ..... it's so effin' obvious and blatant, that one can only shake his head in disgust.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #484 on: Dec 05, 2011 at 05:33 PM »
but I'd rather see someone like Fajardo, who really has great promise, on an SMC/MVP team where he can get the proper training.. selfish man yung reasons but at least matuturuan yung bata.. at 22, ang laki pa ng room for improvement nito.. and playing for Parks and English will be a good start..

if he applied in the last draft and got picked by Powerade, his improvement would have stalled.. there would be no growth in a team like Powerade under Perasol and Baylon.. swerte nga rin siya at Mon Fernandez trained him while he was in UC.. ang baba kasi talaga ng level of competition sa Cesafi compared to the UAAP/NCAA.. I watched a couple of his games every time I went home dati sa Cebu and I was really impressed with his foot work.. di kagaya ni Feighl na flat-footed.. maganda yung drop step.. mabait nga lang kaya medyo kulang sa aggressiveness minsan..

Offline hotrod

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Yippie-kay-yay!
  • Liked:
« Reply #485 on: Dec 05, 2011 at 06:14 PM »

PCCL: Ateneo handily defeats University of Cebu

MANILA, Philippines—Ateneo barely broke a sweat in the 100-53 dismantling of University of Cebu Monday in the final four of 2011 Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the Arena in San Juan.

In the clash of the towering centers, the seven-foot Greg Slaughter got the better of the 6-foot-11 June Mar Fajardo in  the anticipated match-up with 18 points, 11 rebounds and a block.

Fajardo, who will be playing for the San Miguel team in the ASEAN Basketball League (ABL) this coming January after his stint with the UC Webmasters, scattered 12 points and hauled down nine boards in the 14 minutes he spent in the court.

http://sports.inquirer.net/27903/pccl-ateneo-handily-defeats-university-of-cebu

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #486 on: Dec 05, 2011 at 06:28 PM »
^^ In this PBA age wherein the traditional big man is rare - Fajardo's development will still progress, regardless of any team who picks him IMO.

Yup, he'll likely wont win much with Perasol's POWERADE; but he will get the minutes - which is not at all guaranteed with SMC's ultra-loaded lineups.

SMC does have Alex English - but his contract is up after a few months ..... Parks, though a legend in his own right, is still untested in the coaching field.

If anything, the best coach for Fajardo would be Norman Black (the best bigs/fundamental coach we've seen in quite some time) .... or Yeng Guiao (if anyone can transform sheep into lions, it would be Guiao).

I agree that Fajardo sorely lacks the swagger that a young Ildefonso, Adducul, Espino, Aquino, etc had many years ago.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #487 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 03:45 PM »
im currently watching the finals of the PCCL, Calvin Abueva may be the best amateur player but certainly the player with the worst court attitude too, if this guy will not chnage, i dont think he will see some great playing years in the pro, sobrang yabang
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #488 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 06:51 PM »
^ Exactly ..... Abueva has to be one of the most athletic forwards seen in the past decade. Incredible hops.

But too much swagger for this guy, right now ..... swagger could be a good thing in the pros actually - just needs a good combination of (alpha) veteran co-players & the right coaching.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #489 on: Dec 12, 2011 at 07:19 PM »
^ Exactly ..... Abueva has to be one of the most athletic forwards seen in the past decade. Incredible hops.

But too much swagger for this guy, right now ..... swagger could be a good thing in the pros actually - just needs a good combination of (alpha) veteran co-players & the right coaching.

i hope he turns out to be coachable sir newwave otherwise di sya magtatagal baka puro trade ang abutin becuase of attitude problem.

too much errors again as usual. masyadong gigil na gigil kaya naagawan pag drive sa basket.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #490 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 08:25 AM »
Defection

By Guest Blogger Pio Garcia, December 12, 2011

I think most basketball heads here in the Philippines were shocked about the Semerad twins’ sudden transfer to Ateneo. Include me among those people. I never foresaw this one. Talk about being blindsided hard. In any case, this was worse than what LeBron James did to Cleveland.

FULL STORY

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #491 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 04:32 PM »
i hope he turns out to be coachable sir newwave otherwise di sya magtatagal baka puro trade ang abutin becuase of attitude problem.

too much errors again as usual. masyadong gigil na gigil kaya naagawan pag drive sa basket.

Abueva reminds me of Nelson "The Bull" Asaystono.  Magaling at malakas pero pagdating sa diskarte ng end game, nawawala.  As compared to say, the Captain Patrimonio na kamador sa crunch time.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #492 on: Dec 13, 2011 at 05:38 PM »
Defection

By Guest Blogger Pio Garcia, December 12, 2011

I think most basketball heads here in the Philippines were shocked about the Semerad twins’ sudden transfer to Ateneo. Include me among those people. I never foresaw this one. Talk about being blindsided hard. In any case, this was worse than what LeBron James did to Cleveland.

FULL STORY

why is this being allowed? nasa school level pa lang eh commercialized na ang mag diskarte ng player

wala bang batas ang liga against things like this?

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #493 on: Dec 14, 2011 at 03:41 PM »
why is this being allowed? nasa school level pa lang eh commercialized na ang mag diskarte ng player

wala bang batas ang liga against things like this?

ang batas lang ata sa kanila is parang:

if player is from ncaa and transfers to uaap and vice versa - sit out 1 year
if player is transferring to a different college or university within the same league (UAAP or NCAA) - sit out 2 years

and counted pa rin sa 5 year playing eligibility ang years played with previous league, im not sure lang if included sa counting ang "sit-out" period

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #494 on: Dec 14, 2011 at 10:23 PM »
i find it ridiculous that the Somerand Twins transfered to ADMU despite havin major contributions to SBCs success in the NCAA.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #495 on: Dec 15, 2011 at 06:36 AM »
I think their handler had, uh, a hand in this.

College players should not be allowed to have managers.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #496 on: Dec 16, 2011 at 09:02 AM »
So the twins sit out 2 years before they can be eligible playing for ADMU in the UAAP?
Correct me if i'm wrong but these twins already played for SBC in three of their NCAA campaigns right?

Btw, the SSC vs ADMU game yesterday, who won?
I wasnt able to get hold of a newspaper early today.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #497 on: Dec 16, 2011 at 10:29 AM »
San Sebastian is the first NCAA school to win the Philippine Collegiate Champions League.

They beat Ateneo 73-67. 

Calvin Abueva carried the Stags with a beastly 20 points, 17 rebounds and 3 blocked shots.  The most telling stats were actually his 3 assists, with the last 2 swinging the win to Baste.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #498 on: Dec 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM »
San Sebastian is the first NCAA school to win the Philippine Collegiate Champions League.

They beat Ateneo 73-67. 

Calvin Abueva carried the Stags with a beastly 20 points, 17 rebounds and 3 blocked shots.  The most telling stats were actually his 3 assists, with the last 2 swinging the win to Baste.

so somehow the STAGS were able to redeem themselves after losing to SBC in the NCAA.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #499 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 04:18 PM »
Xavier's Teng will play for La Salle

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/01/16/12/xaviers-teng-will-play-la-salle

Is this the kid some of you mentioned last year? Panapat kay Kiefer Ravena?

La Salle should work for great forwards and the best point guard. Again it would take years to rebuild so I don't see any crown for them.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #500 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 05:34 PM »
Xavier's Teng will play for La Salle

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/01/16/12/xaviers-teng-will-play-la-salle

Is this the kid some of you mentioned last year? Panapat kay Kiefer Ravena?

La Salle should work for great forwards and the best point guard. Again it would take years to rebuild so I don't see any crown for them.

Yes Jeron Teng, the youngest son of former PBA player Alvin (ROBOCOP) Teng, wearing the green and white uniforms of the DLSU this coming UAAP Season.
After a meeting at the SMB headquarters, the kid accompanied by his parents and sister went to DLSU to confirm that he will study and play for La Salle.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #501 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 05:51 PM »
I was hoping he would play with big brother Jeric for the Gold & White.  

Good for DLSU getting the younger Teng - they'll likely make the Final Four again ..... Franz Pumaren's former RP Youth "recruits" are not getting it done e.g. Marata, etc

No coincidence that the season that Danding "Pacman" Cojuangco retakes the lead godfather role for DLSU ..... they also get the best prospect available.

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #502 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 06:31 PM »

Good for DLSU getting the younger Teng - they'll likely make the Final Four again ..... Franz Pumaren's former RP Youth "recruits" are not getting it done e.g. Marata, etc

No coincidence that the season that Danding "Pacman" Cojuangco retakes the lead godfather role for DLSU ..... they also get the best prospect available.

Alvin Teng is very loyal to SMC / ECJ. If it was not for franz, Jeric Teng would have went to DLSU. Since Jeric was cut from the RP Youth and had a falling out with Franz, they went to UST. Now that ECJ is actively back and the pumarens are out, Jeron Teng will be playing for DLSU. This year seems a very shallow year in terms of talent for the recruitment wars.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #503 on: Jan 16, 2012 at 07:43 PM »

sayang i was hoping mag UST sya para mas lumakas naman di pala natuloy

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #504 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 12:32 AM »

Good for DLSU getting the younger Teng - they'll likely make the Final Four again .....

Not necessarily, but they are good on paper.  They have no issues filling out any position and they should be competitive next year.

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #505 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM »
Not necessarily, but they are good on paper.  They have no issues filling out any position and they should be competitive next year.

We'll see how they fare with Tallo at the point and Teng playing SG(?). They need to have the ball in their hands most of the time to be effective. We'll get to see how Jeron will adjust to playing against stronger and bigger players in the UAAP.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #506 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 04:54 AM »

I'm thinking that ADU and/or FEU will have a significant drop in their previous standings - given that many key players have already used up their eligibility e.g. FEU (Ramos, Cawaling, Noundou & Exciminiano) & ADU (Alvarez, Colina, Canada & Lozada). 

UST might also take a dip, despite losing only Camus - who is one of the best do-it-all glue-guys in amateur basketball.

UE & UP are still too raw to contend ..... ADMU is the only sureshot to make it the Final Four ..... NU with it's intact line-up, will likely make it this time.

DLSU has a very good chance of re-entering the Final Four.   

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM by newwaveboy »

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #507 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 09:13 AM »
Ateneo remains the team to beat this coming UAAP season.
I think UST and NU plus DLSU will complte the cast of the Final 4.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #508 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 09:28 AM »
who are the bigshot rookies for the upcoming ncaa / uaap season and where will they be playing?

is ryan buenafe suiting up for admu?
is arvie bringas suiting up for feu?

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #509 on: Jan 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM »
Teng looks like the lead in a shallow batch of rookies.

No word yet on Buenafe - but if he does suit up for ADMU, it will be good times once more down Katipunan.

Arvie Bringas ..... cant recall when he left DLSU, but he has to serve 2-yrs residency with FEU - dont know when he becomes eligible.

Good for FEU if ever Bringas gets to play this season - he's tough just like his brother. He'll be a decent replacement for Noundou.