Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205703 times)

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2012
« Reply #690 on: Sep 07, 2012 at 04:46 PM »
So, NU's final appeal was upheld ...... a re-play of the game to be held on Sep. 23.

** Methinks the fact that NU is the host school had a bit part in winning the appeal .... like I said, it was extremely close (closest one I've seen in a long while) ..... any final UAAP ruling would be acceptable.

Best thing to come out of this ..... it makes the race for the last Final Four slots more exciting.

** ADMU looks like a lock for that #1 slot .... while UST has the "easiest" remaining sked among the 5 contenders - if they beat the eliminated teams, UST should finish no worse than 10-4.

** Here's the fun part ...... FEU, DLSU & NU are all contenders for Final Four slots (most likely the #3 & #4 slots) ...... they all face each other to close out their eliminations sked !  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2012 at 04:50 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #691 on: Sep 10, 2012 at 04:51 AM »
NU now ahead of DLSU.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #692 on: Sep 13, 2012 at 06:22 PM »
What are the tiebreaker rules in the UAAP? Quotient system pa rin ba? Looks like NU, FEU and DLSU need to keep these rules in mind in the remaining playing days. They all could end up with similar 9-5 records at the end of the eliminations, right?

Although I have a feeling it's NU and DLSU which might end up tied. If they do, DLSU is eliminated because NU has the superior quotient - DLSU beat NU by only 1 point in the first round, while NU beat DLSU by 10 in the second round. Is this correct?

EDIT: Actually, even UST can go down to 9-5. Interesting games ahead.  :)

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2012 at 06:35 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #693 on: Sep 13, 2012 at 06:48 PM »
^for ties in the 2nd and 4th spots involving 2 teams, may playoff.. for 1st and 3rd, head-to-head match up yung basehan.. point difference yung quotient system sa UAAP..

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #694 on: Sep 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM »
^for ties in the 2nd and 4th spots involving 2 teams, may playoff.. for 1st and 3rd, head-to-head match up yung basehan.. point difference yung quotient system sa UAAP..

nahihirapan akong basahin at intindihin ito. masyado kasing malinaw ang background ;)

Offline vinci

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 985
« Reply #695 on: Sep 15, 2012 at 06:17 PM »
lintek na laro between uste and admu!

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #696 on: Sep 15, 2012 at 06:28 PM »
Nice game!

Karim Abdul's goal tending did the Tigers in.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #697 on: Sep 15, 2012 at 06:43 PM »
The camera didn't show the play Pido was drawing up but it was obvious it wasn't followed.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #698 on: Sep 15, 2012 at 07:45 PM »
The camera didn't show the play Pido was drawing up but it was obvious it wasn't followed.

The ball will end up with Mariano ..... as with most of UST's games this season has shown.

However, everyone (including Pido) would have preferred if Mariano took it inside ..... the kid played subpar for most of the game, must have felt little confidence with his inside shot.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #699 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 02:23 AM »
And step-back threes are generally not his specialty.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #700 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 04:38 AM »
And step-back threes are generally not his specialty.

If they were aiming to win it with a three instead of just tying the game and going for overtime then it would have been better if Teng or Fortuna took the shot.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #701 on: Sep 16, 2012 at 07:59 PM »
FEU just lost to La Salle.

Should the Archers win over the Falcons and the Bulldogs win over the Tamaraws in their last games then it would be a triple tie for the 3rd and 4th places between FEU, La Salle and NU.  It could even be a quadruple tie if UST loses its last game.

These last games are must win games for the four teams if they want to get into the final four!

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #702 on: Sep 18, 2012 at 03:46 AM »

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #703 on: Sep 18, 2012 at 10:16 AM »
Looks like UP is in the brink of yet another 1 win season.  Funny but I became an avid fan of UP everytime they play nowadays.  You know, cheering for the underdog ^-^  I really wanted them to win more games.
Oh well ...

Offline onedown

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • peace man!
  • Liked:
« Reply #704 on: Sep 18, 2012 at 10:49 AM »
^
up's season is over, at least in uaap men's basketball. their official record is 1-13.
peace man!

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #705 on: Sep 18, 2012 at 02:37 PM »
http://www.inboundpass.com/2012/09/17/banal-nimes-saves-mapua-but-perpetual-help-puts-game-under-protest/

Now, it's Perpetual's turn to file a protest.  Parang usong uso ang protest lately ah ;D

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #706 on: Sep 19, 2012 at 01:01 PM »
disrespect for the game officials ang nangyayari eh...

shempre we can't always go to the "let the players play" sa endgame to decide the final score, kasi ang nangyayari eh sobrang physical ang action na di rin naman maganda panoorin.

tamang respect lang for all ang need para pag endgame eh bigay todo both teams na malinis ang laban.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #707 on: Sep 19, 2012 at 01:23 PM »
Comes with the territory, I guess ..... like I said, this is perhaps the best UAAP season yet - in terms of close games & epic comebacks, etc.

To some degree, the NCAA games have also been close and has its share of unbelievable finishes as well ex. epic OT game between PERPETUAL-SAN BEDA.

However in terms of physicality of play, cheapshots, etc ...... I've seen much worse in the UAAP, particularly during the middle part of last decade.

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #708 on: Sep 19, 2012 at 04:05 PM »
I'm not sure if I agree with you newwaveboy because I can see a lot of sideshows which make the season more "colorful" but not necessarily the best. Some decisions could have affected the outcomes like goal tendings, foul calls or the lack of and of course technical. Is it just passion for the collegiate sport, school spirit or just business now? I think it's the latter. I thought protest is a thing of the past, nung 80s-90s lang yun sa mga local leagues ah. Yung mga overage at dukot sa kabilang baranggay haha

Ang dumi yata maglaro ng FEU o ngayon lang napapansin/nahuhuli. Tapos parang madalas na ang goal tending, dami na kasing african IMPORTS! Di na nakakatuwang panoorin.

Here's the latest.

Salva's father appeals UAAP ban

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/09/19/12/salvas-father-appeals-uaap-ban

« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2012 at 04:06 PM by krets pulpol »
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #709 on: Sep 19, 2012 at 04:41 PM »
^ It's a bit subjective of course ..... but I've been closely watching the UAAP since the late 80's - have to say, that this season has been outstanding .... like I said, in terms of close games & epic comebacks.

The eligibility issues/protests had been addressed years back ..... after, DLSU's suspension due to using ineligible players ..... since then, there has been an agreement between all schools to raise no more eligibility questions once the pre-season player screening is through.

Winning close games due to blatant calls or non-calls is one thing ...... but for this season so far, it's been close due to some razor-thin scenarios (e.g. FEU-NU game) and some unexpected comebacks and/or upsets from many teams.

I'm for UST, but even I admit that there should be no question about Karim's goal-tending last game ..... it was clear on the replays, that the ball was on it's downward path.

I agree that the collegiate leagues are better off without the player-imports ..... you can find my arguments against these imports, on the older UAAP/NCAA thread.

I've always said that what SBC has done years ago, will set a bad precedent - look at the landscape of bigs right now in the UAAP/NCAA.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2012 at 04:41 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline krets pulpol

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #710 on: Sep 19, 2012 at 05:05 PM »
Oh okay, I think we'll agree at some points like the comebacks and come from behind wins. The only thing that makes it more exciting is the teams behind Ateneo or the contenders. Sila ang magkaka match. It also shows Ateneo is vulnerable but I think they will get the crown again this season.

what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #711 on: Sep 19, 2012 at 09:59 PM »
ang gulo pala daming possible outcomes. pero sana manalo UST bukas para sure na ;D

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #712 on: Sep 20, 2012 at 05:19 PM »
UST secures at least a playoff for the 2nd twice-to-beat advantage.. a win by La Salle later assures them of at least a playoff for the 4th spot.. mukhang magiging mainit yung FEU-NU replay sa Sunday.. a lot at stake for both teams..

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #713 on: Sep 20, 2012 at 05:49 PM »
UST secures at least a playoff for the 2nd twice-to-beat advantage.. a win by La Salle later assures them of at least a playoff for the 4th spot.. mukhang magiging mainit yung FEU-NU replay sa Sunday.. a lot at stake for both teams..

sana manalo NU para assured na UST for the 2nd spot and twice-to-beat advantage ;D

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #714 on: Sep 21, 2012 at 06:43 PM »
this is interesting.. MVP cuts ties with Ateneo..

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #715 on: Sep 21, 2012 at 07:28 PM »
this is interesting.. MVP cuts ties with Ateneo..

More than the loss of Norman Black ...... MVP leaving sponsorship duties, might be catastrophic for ATENEO. 

It's no coincidence that anytime a known "patron" pours his "resources" into a sports program ...... it almost always leads to great results.

The past few years have seen both ATENEO & SBC rule collegiate hoops ...... as was the case years ago, when Danding and Razon took turns with DLSU ....... as is the case now for NU - a perennial whipping boy in all collegiate sports; yet had a sudden rise as soon as Sy stepped in. 

ATENEO better mend fences with MVP soon ...... else, they'll again end up in the UAAP hoops bottom-half, a few years down the road.

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #716 on: Sep 22, 2012 at 06:27 PM »
UP wins cheerdance competition, their 3rd straight and 8th over-all.
FEU places 2nd but was obviously disappointed. I guess they believe that they should have won since UP flubbed their last stunt. But UP was fluid and strong all through out.
NU places 3rd. Luto daw since NU is this year's UAAP host. But, most of the judges were foreign and I doubt they voted for NU just because NU is the host.

As long as foreign judges are used, UP definitely would have the edge since they have always been the more fluid, strong and innovative PEP squad.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #717 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 06:19 PM »
what a game! NU won, 84-81.. Parks was clutch! UST gets the 2nd twice to beat.. they meet NU sa final 4.. DLSU-FEU on Wednesday for last spot.. possible Ateneo-La Salle sa final 4..

Offline brainwashed

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #718 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 06:46 PM »
what a game! NU won, 84-81.. Parks was clutch! UST gets the 2nd twice to beat.. they meet NU sa final 4.. DLSU-FEU on Wednesday for last spot.. possible Ateneo-La Salle sa final 4..

if FEU had won then it would have been certain since NU would have dropped to 5th. pero pwede pa rin if La Salle beats FEU :)

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #719 on: Sep 23, 2012 at 07:23 PM »
Like I said, this UAAP season has been a standout, in terms of close games, wild finishes & great comebacks.

Parks was (finally) clutch ..... though, I would have given the best player of the game to Mbe.

That was probably the best game I've seen Mbe play ..... the guy clearly didn't want his last UAAP game to be another heart-breaker.

========================================================================

The Final Four series will be a blast ..... UST-NU games this season, have been epic.

An ADMU-DLSU matchup will always be fun ..... if it's ADMU-FEU, I have a feeling that the match-up will be more competitive this time (bring in the Bringas brothers, Magtulis & the Salvas).  >:D