Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205718 times)

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2012
« Reply #1020 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:06 AM »
'Imports in UAAP, NCAA bad for PH basketball'

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/01/04/13/imports-uaap-ncaa-bad-ph-basketball

I hope the UAAP and NCAA board listens.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1021 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 07:33 AM »
Kirk Long is certainly an exception since he resides and grew up in the Phil for long. I hope to see him play for a Pangilinan PBA team in the near future.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1022 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 02:57 PM »
So Jarencio stays put at UST after Barako Bull started pursuing Toroman. Interesting how his mindset is going to be. They're definitely one of the better teams this coming season and a sort of snub by the PBA might give him more motivation to win it all for UST.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1023 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 03:02 PM »
Will a foreign coach in Toroman be allowed to coach in the PBA?
Db bawal un? Pwed lng bilang consultants ang foreigners.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1024 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 03:03 PM »
Will a foreign coach in Toroman be allowed to coach in the PBA?
Db bawal un? Pwed lng bilang consultants ang foreigners.

usually, may nagrereklamo lang kapag malakas na team yung hahawakan ng coach. given that it's Barako, baka palampasin lang ng inutil na BCAP yan.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1025 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 06:58 PM »
usually, may nagrereklamo lang kapag malakas na team yung hahawakan ng coach. given that it's Barako, baka palampasin lang ng inutil na BCAP yan.

So they wont be consistent in their stand against foreign coaches specially in basketball.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1026 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 08:09 PM »
So they wont be consistent in their stand against foreign coaches specially in basketball.

They will oppose it but they won't be as aggressive as they were when Ron Jacobs handled San Miguel.

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #1027 on: Jan 05, 2013 at 10:52 PM »
The BCAP has long been "inactive" in the local basketball landscape ...... nothing much left to fight for actually:

** Pinoy basketball has greatly contracted the past years - no more MBA, no more Liga, no more PBL, etc ...... The PBA (and it's D-League) is all that remains; and it's a league with only 4 legitimate owners.

Danding's PETRON, SMC & BGK (plus unofficial teams BARAKO, AIR21 & GLOBAL) ...... MVP's TnT & MERALCO ..... Uytengsu's ALASKA ..... Que/Yu's ROS.

** The PBA is being run by no less than a handpicked, right-hand man of Danding ..... no way in hell that Comm. Cheato Salud will bite the hand that feeds him.

** Known BCAP stalwarts are all pre-occupied.

Chito Narvasa is in private finance (very likely that he's in cahoots with MVP and/or Danding-controlled companies) ...... he let Toroman slide as GILAS coach a few years ago; no reason why he'll prevent Toroman from taking a lesser BARAKO job.

Yeng Guiao is running a successful program with ROS (knowing Guiao's attitude, he'll just say F*CK IT; Extra-rice Inc. will run over these foreign-coached teams anyday of the week) ...... Alfrancis Chua is employed by no less than Danding (the same one who secretly owns BARAKO).

===========================================================================

It's all a show ...... Noli Eala is just trying to ensure that Toroman "stays" within the SMC umbrella, hence the BARAKO proposal.

I'd have no big issues should Toroman get an official PBA head-coaching job ..... IMO he has earned that right via his GILAS stint.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #1028 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 01:53 AM »
The Ateneo volleybelles have now won 6 straight and is still undefeated. Alyssa Valdez is wreaking havoc.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1029 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 06:48 PM »
Now this recent pic speaks volumes ...... re: Top Bacolod HS player Montalbo to play for DLSU seniors next UAAP season.

Like I said, once a known shark like Danding Cojuaangco retook "sponsorship" of DLSU more than a year ago ..... expect the blue-chip recruits to come down to Taft (like they did more than a decade back).

Jeron Teng was nabbed a year ago ...... no coincidence that shortly afterwards, his father Alvin Teng was named as coaching staff member of Danding's ABL team.

Only in the country, where known HS prospects are openly courted by business-moguls (known cronies no less) and openly given perks ...... and not a protest or even a whiff of investigation in sight.

If such a picture/scenario happened in the US NCAA Hoops (or any other collegiate sport) ..... a firestorm with the sporting media would have certainly occurred ...... investigations are immediately started.

It's indeed more fun in the Philippines ...... even a university president publicly pleads for reconciliation with another business-mogul - all in the name of P25M/year for their basketball program (!)

O0

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #1030 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 09:11 PM »
For the past two years Kib Montalbo has been playing and are friends with Ateneo players. It was all a formality that he would enter the school on the hill in Katipunan.... until the bossing aggressively recruited him and his parents. Good Luck Kib! Hopefully, he gets playing time in the Taft Guard Agency!

DLSU is also aggressively pursuing the african player in Cebu who's younger and way better than Abdul. 

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1031 on: Jan 08, 2013 at 07:18 AM »
Ok lng naman magrecruit ng mga blue chip players and DLSU provided they are home grown talents from the provinces and expose them into the BIG leagues.
What i'm really against are the recruitments of imports to play in the collegiate leagues w/c are suppose to be the training grounds for home grown players before they represent the Philippines in international competitions and then turn Pro.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1032 on: Jan 08, 2013 at 09:25 AM »
Ok lng naman magrecruit ng mga blue chip players and DLSU provided they are home grown talents from the provinces and expose them into the BIG leagues.
What i'm really against are the recruitments of imports to play in the collegiate leagues w/c are suppose to be the training grounds for home grown players before they represent the Philippines in international competitions and then turn Pro.

Player recruitment from the provinces has been the norm since probably the early 70's ...... what is completely unacceptable & unethical are businessmen openly courting players and openly giving out perks when they come on board.

In the USA, such people (Danding, MVP, etc) are called Boosters and/or Friends of the Program ..... and what they practice is completely ILLEGAL ..... hence sanctions on erring schools will be meted out.

Over here, they are revered as heroes and praised by the media.   O0

==========================================================================

I completely agree about the recruitment of "imports" playing in the collegiate leagues ........ I have long ranted against this practice in the earlier UAAP/NCAA threads.

Basketball is one sport in which the country, absolutely doesn't lack for collegiate-level talent ....... there are thousands of Filipinos just waiting to be discovered and molded for the leagues here in Manila.

It's clear that these imports come here, more to play than to study ...... consequently, other deserving players are displaced.

Like I've said before, what SBC has done (systematized and steady recruitment of imports) years ago will set a very bad precedent ..... look at the state of collegiate basketball now - one cannot count the number of imports playing.

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2013 at 09:27 AM by newwaveboy »

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+252)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1033 on: Jan 08, 2013 at 12:44 PM »
True, i was suppose to comment on the recent San Beda coaching change wherein it was MVP's nod which was recognized and never did we see the SBC's comment. Advani would be best since he is also a bedan, same as frankie and ronnie.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1034 on: Jan 08, 2013 at 04:13 PM »
Player recruitment from the provinces has been the norm since probably the early 70's ...... what is completely unacceptable & unethical are businessmen openly courting players and openly giving out perks when they come on board.

In the USA, such people (Danding, MVP, etc) are called Boosters and/or Friends of the Program ..... and what they practice is completely ILLEGAL ..... hence sanctions on erring schools will be meted out.

Over here, they are revered as heroes and praised by the media.   O0

==========================================================================

I completely agree about the recruitment of "imports" playing in the collegiate leagues ........ I have long ranted against this practice in the earlier UAAP/NCAA threads.

Basketball is one sport in which the country, absolutely doesn't lack for collegiate-level talent ....... there are thousands of Filipinos just waiting to be discovered and molded for the leagues here in Manila.

It's clear that these imports come here, more to play than to study ...... consequently, other deserving players are displaced.

Like I've said before, what SBC has done (systematized and steady recruitment of imports) years ago will set a very bad precedent ..... look at the state of collegiate basketball now - one cannot count the number of imports playing.

For me bastat home grown talents. Everyone should be entitled to lure them to play for their respective schools. Sana players na yan kung san nya gusto maglaro. These businessmen are also gambling on these raw talents. Though they can make a team perform much better, it's still uncertain if they can excel in the end. It's also far better than recruiting Fil-Ams to play for collegiate teams.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #1035 on: Jan 08, 2013 at 04:51 PM »
Di nila kailangan yan, they need bigger men and forwards.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #1036 on: Mar 07, 2013 at 10:17 PM »
Is the new residency rule from the UAAP applicable also to foreigners who transfer schools?

http://sports.inquirer.net/89865/new-uaap-rule-affects-2-prized-rookies

I thought it applied only to HS recruits, and not to laterals.
We deserve better.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1037 on: Mar 07, 2013 at 10:29 PM »
Is the new residency rule from the UAAP applicable also to foreigners who transfer schools?

http://sports.inquirer.net/89865/new-uaap-rule-affects-2-prized-rookies

I thought it applied only to HS recruits, and not to laterals.

It would affect also the foreigners and all college transferee's also. It's actually quite funny as you can see from all the interviews and articles they do not have any guidelines / IRR on this rule. Basically, the idea is to curtail movement of a UAAP hs prospect to another UAAP school but they also want to remove the "mercenary" players hence they want college transferees and foreigners from other colleges (even non-uaap schools) to sit out two years. All in the guise of parity and protecting the league. this was railroaded and now some schools who voted yes to it are regretting the decision already.

as you can see in the article below, there are a lot of loopholes / kinks. Why would the board pass this rule and to be effected immediately when they themselves are still in the dark on the impact of this to the whole league?

Pingoy facing tough choice as UAAP board urged to review implementing guidelines of new rule
By Reuben Terrado
March 06, 2013, 01:15 pm

A MEMBER of the UAAP amendments committee has urged his colleagues to carefully look into the implementing guidelines of the new rule requiring a two-year residency for high school graduates transferring to another UAAP school amid a backlash from both players and fans.

La Salle board representative Henry Atayde confirmed that the new residency period for high school transferees, which on the amendments committee's suggestion was raised from one to two years, has already been agreed upon “in principle” by the board.

However, Atayde admitted there are several kinks in the new rule that still need to be ironed out.

“May proseso ‘yan. Inapprove na ‘yan ng board pero masyado pang maraming concerns and loopholes na hindi napag-uusapan,” Atayde said to Spin.ph.

“As a member [sic - elvis] of the UAAP board and the amendments committee, we still have to draft different guidelines and IRR because it has a lot of different intricacies,” Atayde added.

According to insiders, the board voted 5-2 on Tuesday to pass the new rule, with Ateneo and University of the Philippines the only dissenters.

The new rule is expected to alter the career plans of several high school prospects in the UAAP like Jerie Pingoy, who was expected to join Ateneo next season after completing his high school studies at Far Eastern University.

But with the new rule in place, Pingoy is faced with a tough choice.

If he chooses to transfer to Ateneo, Pingoy will only be eligible to play in the UAAP in 2015. But if the Cebuano hotshot and two-time UAAP juniors MVP opts to remain with FEU, he can play in the league next season.

Still, Ateneo remains confident Pingoy will push through with his plan to move to Katipunan, even if it means sitting out for the next two seasons, a top sports official of the school said.

Atayde said the amendments committee is actually batting for an across-the-board two-year residency for all transferees, including those already in college and from other countries.

Under present rules, a college transferee needs to sit out for two years unless he gets a clearance from his previous school. If the athlete gets a clearance, only a one-year residency period is required.

“Some schools, whether you like it or not, two years talaga. Pero ‘yung ibang eskwela, one year. Nagiging subjective tuloy ‘yung pag-rerelease ng athlete,” Atayde explained.

News of the new rule, which Spin.ph broke on Tuesday, has triggered a debate on social networking sites, with players like Ateneo star Kiefer Ravena leading the outcry.

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1038 on: Mar 07, 2013 at 10:31 PM »
UP got the very gist of the impact of the rule and it would actually come bite everybody in the ass. It actually curtails the freedom of choice. Mr. Montinola pushed for this to protect his "investments" - he actually has a lot of stupid rules implemented in the UAAP. Soc Rivera Rule, Arwind Santos rule, etc. etc.

http://ph.sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa...083335508.html

New UAAP rule is 'final'; Ateneo, UP voted against it
By Chris Lagunzad | Yahoo! PH Sports

The UAAP Board approved Monday the amendments on eligibility rules concerning UAAP high school players who will transfer to another member school to play in the seniors’ ranks.

Under the revised eligibility rule, high school players who will transfer and bring their act to another UAAP-affiliated school will have to undergo a two-year residency. Currently, there is a one-year residency which can be waived if the student's original school releases him unconditionally. The new rule no longer allows waiving of the residency period.

Sought by Yahoo! Philippines Wednesday afternoon, National University’s Junel Baculi, a member of the league’s amendments committee, shared the reasons behind the intriguing development.

“Pinarehas na namin ‘yung residency ng mga high school players transferring to another UAAP school sa mga college players na lumilipat rin sa ibang member schools. Bale, tag two-year residency na ang ganyang case,” he said.

Baculi, who also serves as NU’s athletic director, disclosed that the Board approved the recommendation by virtue of a 5-2 count.

Among those who voted ‘Yes’ were Far Eastern University, University of Santo Tomas, Adamson University, University of the East and La Salle while Ateneo and University of the Philippines were against.

NU, as this season’s host, abstained from voting, according to Baculi.

Baculi stated that the rule “will be effective immediately for next season and it’s already final.”

Blue Eagles up in arms

Ateneo’s athletic director Ricky Palou, meanwhile, sounded regretful with the new policy, saying: “Ateneo and UP went against the rule but, unfortunately, we were outvoted.”

Armed with one of the most aggressive recruitment programs in the country owing to their wealthy benefactors, Ateneo has no other choice but to respect the decision, with a heavy heart.

“Kawawa ang mga bata (na gustong maglaro sa Ateneo). But what can I do? We just have to respect the decision of the Board and move on,” said Palou.

Palou added the Blue Eagles’ programs will not endure most of the impact, saying: “Hindi naman lahat ng (high school) recruits namin galing sa UAAP. Most of them are coming from the provinces and other leagues. But occasionally, there are some players (from co-UAAP school) who want to play for us. Overall, I don’t think it will have a big impact on our recruitment program,” he related.

Among those expected to be hit hardest with the modified rule is heady playmaker Jerie Pingoy, a two-time UAAP juniors MVP who helped the FEU Baby Tamaraws snap a 25-year title drought this season. FEU and Ateneo are reportedly in a tug-of-war for the services of Pingoy.

“He has to abide with the rule. If he decides to play with us, he’ll be playing on 2015,” shared Palou.

‘It’s not a rule, but a punishment’

As far as Ronnie Dizer, the dean of the UP College of Human Kinetics and also a member of the UAAP Board is concerned, the modified rule is more of a penalty imposed on the league’s high school players.

“It’s not a rule, it’s more of punishing them,” Dizer stated to Yahoo! Philippines in a phone interview. “Personally, I opposed the amendments because that will affect majority of the sports not only basketball.

“I believe it estranges the right of the students from transferring to a school that offers better quality of education. Ang argument kasi namin ng Ateneo, UAAP takes pride to maintain high quality education of the student- athletes. The basic principles why the league was founded were education, amateurism, and to develop a league that will be a source of national players. ‘Yung new policy, it goes against the very foundation kaya nagkaro’n ng UAAP. Nagde-deviate sa philosophy and mission ng liga,” he pointed out.

Dizer also added high school players are not indebted to their mother schools since they have “donned their colors and gamely represented them in different tournaments.”

“‘Yung mga high school players, bayad na sila sa inyo by representing your school. Since they’re looking for a better quality of education, sana ibigay ‘yun ng kanilang school. That’s one of their human rights. They’re students first before athletes. Ibigay natin ‘yung karapatan sa anak at sa kanilang magulang. Kaso ang mangyayari, parang mapaparusahan pa sila kahit nakapag-serve na sila sa school,” Dizer added.

And what repercussions this modified rule may bring?

“We’ll be pushing athletes away. Dahil sa bagong policy, pupunta na lang sila sa ibang liga like NCAA. As a whole, the rule is more of a disadvantage for the league. Nawawala ‘yung competitive balance and democratic atmosphere,” noted Dizer.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #1039 on: Mar 07, 2013 at 11:18 PM »
^ Thanks for the reply, sir. Yeah, have to agree with what the UP CHK Dean said. These kids are students first, and not athletes. They also have the right to choose which school to go to for a college degree. 2 years to sit out is also too much. If the UAAP wants to discourage "piracy", there are other ways to do it.

It's also pretty obvious that this rule is targeting schools like ADMU and DLSU only, so I find it strange that DLSU voted for it. Anyway, I'm sure this won't be the last time we'll read about this issue.
We deserve better.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1040 on: Mar 07, 2013 at 11:37 PM »
^Lately kasi, DLSU isn't getting players that are graduates of other UAAP member schools.. so the rule won't affect them.. their recent recruits are from the provinces like that kid Kib Montalbo from Bacolod and the Cameroonian center from Southwestern in Cebu.. although Ben Mbala also has to sit out because he came from another league..

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1041 on: Mar 08, 2013 at 12:02 AM »
^Lately kasi, DLSU isn't getting players that are graduates of other UAAP member schools.. so the rule won't affect them.. their recent recruits are from the provinces like that kid Kib Montalbo from Bacolod and the Cameroonian center from Southwestern in Cebu.. although Ben Mbala also has to sit out because he came from another league..

Yep. They have DLSZ and other schools for their recruitment pipeline. If I have to be myopic and focus on basketball solely on this rule my argument lies in that it doesn't really affect the traditional powerhouses in fact it will only strengthen the HS program of these powerhouses as parents early on would want their kids enrolled in HS with them. It doesn't really affect dlsu or admu that much either. Look at their line-up most of their players are from ncaa or non-uaap schools. It is only now that jerie pingoy is moving to ateneo and mr. montinola and his machinations are in play to force the pingoys to reconsider their decision.

But on a grander scale, ultimately ang talo dito are the kids. This rule actually applies to the whole UAAP sports and the ones affected are the ones who are not that talented or are not good enough to crack their college teams or their alma mater does not offer the courses they want.

Imagine a kid who's a good chess player but his school's college does not offer dentistry and the only way he can afford college is a sports scholarship. Do you think UE will go out of its way to offer a sports scholarship to a guy who has to sit out two years!? And if they do offer one, talo pa rin yung kid. why? he has lost out 2 years of his life because instead of graduating agad and earning already for himself. He has to "earn" his scholarship. I don't think schools would give you a sports scholarship, let you sit out two years and then play only for two years and let you graduate.

The ones ultimately affected are a majority of students who need sports scholarship to just go through college and finish it right away and earn for themselves because fencing, chess, swimming, bowling, sipa, etc. doesn't really earn for you after college unlike superstar basketball players where they have life and still earn more after college hoops.

daming loop holes to this rule. tsk tsk tsk, if you can't win in the actual games you try to win it in the boardroom unfortunately for them they're only good on paper and the players and the team management's on court and off court demeanor reflects their rotten core.

Offline Verbl Kint

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #1042 on: Mar 08, 2013 at 09:14 AM »
Any lawyers on the thread?

What is the legality of the UAAP board's decision?  What if somebody were to challenge this in court?

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1043 on: Mar 08, 2013 at 09:26 AM »
Most of this could have been avoided if there was no presence of BOOSTERS & PATRONS who sponsor certain universities.

Like I've said more than a few times, such brazen sponsorship of athletic departments is completely ILLEGAL in other countries ...... here, it is out in the open and even applauded by the majority.

To top it all off, these patrons aren't exactly known for fair business practices ...... they are in fact, known cronies of the two greatest dictators ever (Suharto & Marcos).

In Pingoy's case, the kid had already signed a document which shows his intent to remain with FEU for his collegiate years ....... a few weeks later, his father speaks out to media that his son will play for ADMU ..... I cant blame FEU's Montinola going bananas from the obvious piracy.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2013 at 09:27 AM by newwaveboy »

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1044 on: Mar 08, 2013 at 11:33 PM »
Sharing :-

http://www.hoopnut.com/2013/03/the-newuaaprule.html

Friday, March 8, 2013
The #NewUAAPRule

The message of the #NewUAAPRule is crystal clear:

“Here in the UAAP, we prioritize protecting the interests of our sports programs over upholding the interests of our student-athletes.”

It’s bad enough that the league actually has a “Soc Rivera” rule to discourage student-athletes from choosing the school/program they really want. Now the members of the UAAP Amendments Board, along with those who voted in favor of the proposed amendments, actually found a way to make an already bad rule even worse.

We all know the saying about not fixing something that isn’t broken right? Well, by golly, this time we have a real world example of something broken made even more… absurd.

Is Jerie Pingoy's rumored transfer what sparked
the paranoia behind the #NewUAAPRule?
(image by Warner David)

Imagine:

You graduate from a UAAP HS. You transfer to another UAAP institution because you want to be an architect, and architecture is not offered in your old school’s university. You decide to try out for your new school’s judo team because you were a pretty good judoka back in HS. Also, the prospect of an athletic scholarship would really help. The coach is impressed, but then he tells you he cannot get you because you came from another UAAP school. He wants to prioritize students who can compete right now. He gets someone who graduated from an NCAA HS instead. The scholarship goes to him, too.

Or this:

You graduate from a UAAP HS. You were a pretty decent football player in your old school, but you certainly won’t crack the roster of the Seniors team because, well, there are just too many other players who are better than you at the same position. The coach of a rival UAAP school gets in touch with you and says there might be a slot in that school’s Seniors team instead. Of course, you won’t be the star player of that team, but you take the “offer” because at least there’s a chance to actually make the final roster. The #NewUAAPRule is fine with you because, well, you’re just patient like that. In the two years you sit out, the school manages to land new recruits from elsewhere who are even better than you at, again, the same position – guys who are younger and more talented. You end up not playing at all. Your potential is unfulfilled.

Or this:

You’re a really talented volleyball player from the provinces who was recruited to play for a high school in Metro Manila. During your stint in the Juniors division, you play against great athletes and meet some of the most renowned coaches in the sport. You hope that, someday, you can play alongside these greats. You graduate from a UAAP HS. Because you’re such a great talent, several other UAAP schools try to recruit you for the Seniors division. Some of these schools employ the coaches you admired, and some of these schools are home to the players with whom you’ve always wanted to be teammates. Ironically, now that you’ve graduated, now that you’re supposed to feel the most free, you feel like you’re forced to stay put because of the two years you’ll miss.

Or this:

You graduate from a UAAP HS… oh, wait. I think the point has been made – this amendment to the Soc Rivera rule (are we going to dub it Soc Rivera 2.0 now, or the Jerie Pingoy rule?) can go wrong in so many ways and on so many levels.

And because of what? Because the UAAP and some of its member schools are infected with the twisted mindset that is the driving force behind this new rule.

What mindset?

Two words.

Selfishness and bitterness.

In the UAAP, it seems like a school is supposed to look at its student-athletes the same way an investor looks at his mutual funds or stocks. A school finds a student, sees athletic potential, recruits him, and lets him play in the UAAP. At some point in this process, perhaps with the student not even realizing it, the school feels as if it owns the rights to its perceived “investment.” It has to yield dividends, and it has to be the school that will benefit no matter what.

See what’s twisted there?

In the UAAP, when a school’s Juniors program successfully graduates its players, the expectation is not for the students to make choices they feel are best for themselves, but for the students to make just one choice – to join the same school’s Seniors program. Nothing else.

See what’s twisted there?

In case you’re having difficulty seeing the wrinkles in that kind of set-up, let me try to clarify things. Now, just to make sure you know where I’m coming from, know that I’ve been teaching full-time for TEN years, and that I am the moderator/coach of a sports club/team in a UAAP school.

As far as my research has uncovered, the UAAP is supposed “to provide the UAAP athletes a venue to hone their athletic prowess” – as mentioned on uaapsports.studio23.tv. The same site also expresses how the league “serves as a breeding ground for national athletes.” Nowhere in those lines can there be found any indication of protecting school sports programs as the primary priority. If we consider these two important lines, we should come up with a singular conclusion – that, by and large, the UAAP and its member schools must provide opportunities for its student-athletes’ talents to be maximized. The priority should be the student-athletes. NOT the programs.

And, no, don’t even start with the infinitely flawed “oh but the sports programs ARE the student-athletes” notion.

As for the schools themselves, well, I’ve always operated under the impression that a school’s primary mandate is to hone and prepare its students to make the best life choices in the future, even if one of those life choices is leaving one school and going to another.

In the context of student-athletes and sports programs, schools are supposed to use sports programs as opportunities for student-athletes to sharpen their skills and to push each other to excel. Sports programs are means to an end, and that end should be composed of sportsmanship and teamwork.

Not selfishness and bitterness.

Now just to reiterate, I’ve always believed that the Soc Rivera rule was something fueled by this twisted mindset. The only silver lining was that the “old school” could choose to clear its graduates and, therefore, waive the one-year residency. This was actually more the norm than the exception, at least as far as I can recall.

When Jeric Fortuna moved to UST and when Gwynne Capacio moved to Ateneo, De La Salle-Zobel didn’t force them to sit their freshman year (Capacio didn’t play his first year because he was on the RP-Youth squad). When Mike Gamboa and Paolo Romero went to UP (first year of the Soc Rivera rule in Gamboa’s case), and Paulo Pe moved to UST, Ateneo cleared them. Ditto when Mark Juruena moved from Adamson to UP and when Jovet Mendoza went to DLSU from NU. I’m sure many similar things happened in the other sports, too.

Not all schools are driven by selfishness and bitterness after all.

Another irony is it seems like it’s these schools that were put in the negative light.

“Some schools, whether you like it or not, two years talaga. Pero ‘yung ibang eskwela, one year. Nagiging subjective tuloy ‘yung pag-rerelease ng athlete,” Henry Atayde of DLSU said.

Now the UAAP has not only taken out the ability for a high school to clear its graduates, it also doubled the residency period.

And why?

“We wanted it to be uniform,” said NU’s Junel Baculi.

It’s a shallow reason that fails to justify a flawed rule.

Oh well, at least some members in the UAAP Board admit that there are still many things left to discuss before the rule is fully finalized and implemented.

“I can’t say it’s really final because the year isn’t over and any rule change that will be amended in Season 75 will take effect in Season 76. Season 75 isn’t over yet,” said UAAP Amendments Committee Head Em Fernandez of Ateneo.

Ironically (yes, there are just so many ironies with this issue!), Fernandez’s Ateneo was one of the schools that did not vote in favor of the amendments. UP was the other one.

“May proseso ‘yan. Inapprove na ‘yan ng board pero masyado pang maraming concerns and loopholes na hindi napag-uusapan,” Atayde commented. “Members of the UAAP board and the amendments committee still have to draft different guidelines and IRR because it has a lot of different intricacies.”

Methinks they pulled the trigger a little too quickly on this one, and they’re seeing the possible adverse repercussions only now.

Tsk tsk.

I only hope that the UAAP member schools who voted in favor of this unfavorable rule will be enlightened. I hope they will remember what the UAAP is truly for, and whose rights a school is supposed to uphold in the first place.

And, yeah, it would do well for them to listen to a Senator of the Philippine Republic, too.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1045 on: Mar 10, 2013 at 08:26 AM »
So what's the best way to approach these piracy problems facing the UAAP junior players?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1046 on: Mar 10, 2013 at 09:28 AM »
Most of this could have been avoided if there was no presence of BOOSTERS & PATRONS who sponsor certain universities.

Like I've said more than a few times, such brazen sponsorship of athletic departments is completely ILLEGAL in other countries ...... here, it is out in the open and even applauded by the majority.

To top it all off, these patrons aren't exactly known for fair business practices ...... they are in fact, known cronies of the two greatest dictators ever (Suharto & Marcos).

In Pingoy's case, the kid had already signed a document which shows his intent to remain with FEU for his collegiate years ....... a few weeks later, his father speaks out to media that his son will play for ADMU ..... I cant blame FEU's Montinola going bananas from the obvious piracy.

How old is Pingoy? Is he still a minor? Will his being a minor have a bearing on the validity of the document he supposedly signed, probably without his parents' guidance? When was the document signed? Why make him sign such a document when the school year isn't even finished and Pingoy hasn't even graduated yet?

I can understand why Montinola is mad. He was trying to pull a fast one but for naught.

What I don't understand is why it's even called piracy when Pingoy has yet to play for FEU's senior basketball team. Yes, he starred for FEU's junior basketball, but does it automatically mean he is part of the senior's team? I don't think so.

I don't hear any school complaining when a freshman student who has already enrolled in their school decide to pull out his credentials, refund his money and enroll in another school for whatever reasons. I don't hear any schools complaining when a student who has actually taken up subjects in their school decide to transfer to another school. It's all part of the business of Education.

It's only basketball which makes these schools go bananas when they do not get a prospective student! It's only basketball which makes these schools forget their values.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1047 on: Mar 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM »
^ The UAAP & NCAA leagues pattern themselves after the US NCAA ....... this letter of intent was obviously taken from that league with the purpose of formally signifying your intent to go to whatever school you choose.

I'm no lawyer to answer the validity of such a document, but a signed document is significant ...... I dont think that Pingoy was coerced and forced to sign - afaik there has been no reactions from anyone outside FEU even questioning the signed letter of intent.

All we see are interviews from the elder Pingoy declaring his son will only play for ADMU, even with being redshirted for 2 years.

Pingoy's case is unfortunate since it opens a can of worms and offers solutions which might be good for some cases and bad for others.

I completely agree that basketball is big business, hence we see this mess out in the open ....... foreigners displacing local players, known HS prospects being openly courted by businessmen with no academic affiliation to schools, etc ....... it gets even way gross in pro basketball.

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1048 on: Mar 14, 2013 at 12:53 AM »
Interesting article about college basketball recruitment San Beda coach Jude Roque in Yahoo Sports.

"The NCAA’s ban on foreign student-athletes borders on racial discrimination. The UAAP’s so-called “anti-piracy rule” is just plain absurd."

http://ph.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/sharp-shooter/restraining-college-recruitment-game-part-1-065212093.html

Offline frootloops

• Kagawad
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1049 on: Mar 15, 2013 at 10:53 PM »
Part 2 of Coach Jude Roque's article about the changing landscape of the college basketball recruitment in the country.

http://ph.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/sharp-shooter/changing-recuitment-game-part-2-081329395.html