Author Topic: NCAA / UAAP 2013  (Read 205732 times)

Offline energizer_jc

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NCAA / UAAP 2013
« Reply #1200 on: Sep 06, 2013 at 03:56 PM »
Yep. Nico Salva's dad got into a shouting match with FEU's assistant coach Ronald Magtulis after the latter challenged Nico Salva to a fist fight and the dad stepped in. The appeal was not granted.

The UAAP has a history of banning fans from the venue once they step out of bounds. So JJ Atayde being banned for the rest of the season is normal.

I think the ban on JJ was wrong. He merely thanked the coach for the win, although sarcastic, nothing more was said. The incident with Salva and Magtulis involved exchanging of words were both individuals wanted to have a fistfight.

Had Bo Perasol just went straight to the dugout, this would've not happened.

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #1201 on: Sep 06, 2013 at 04:19 PM »
I think the ban on JJ was wrong. He merely thanked the coach for the win, although sarcastic, nothing more was said. The incident with Salva and Magtulis involved exchanging of words were both individuals wanted to have a fistfight.

Had Bo Perasol just went straight to the dugout, this would've not happened.

uhhh.. that's the story that appeared in the news about "thanking coach bo for the win" sarcastically. There was more to what JJ Atayde did which were presented in the board meeting by the UAAP. Also, inunahan na ni JJ Atayde ung ban on him this season. He said that he won't watch the games for the rest of the season.

Offline deist

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #1202 on: Sep 06, 2013 at 04:31 PM »

Kahit saan ko tingnan tong insidente mas malaking pagkakamali ni Bo Perasol. Hoping Ateneo would be wiser next time in picking a coach.

Offline questforthegoodlife

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #1203 on: Sep 06, 2013 at 05:12 PM »
Kahit saan ko tingnan tong insidente mas malaking pagkakamali ni Bo Perasol. Hoping Ateneo would be wiser next time in picking a coach.

No question as to Bo Perasol being in the wrong in this matter. I just wonder what's all the beef of people against Bo Perasol aside from this incident?

I originally wanted Alex Compton to be in the mix when the coaching search was being conducted.

Offline energizer_jc

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1204 on: Sep 06, 2013 at 05:19 PM »
uhhh.. that's the story that appeared in the news about "thanking coach bo for the win" sarcastically. There was more to what JJ Atayde did which were presented in the board meeting by the UAAP. Also, inunahan na ni JJ Atayde ung ban on him this season. He said that he won't watch the games for the rest of the season.

I know there were other "things" but JJ is not the type who would say/do those things. We had a similar incident last year with Atenean Alumnus Andre Ibarra. He kept on heckling, specifically Joshua Webb, shout "ABNOY" even during the Almater Mater song.

Did you hear La Salle complain about him? Is he banned from the UAAP?

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #1205 on: Sep 06, 2013 at 06:04 PM »
Usually pag ganyan fans na mismo ang naghahamonan ng away haha hindi players hehe

Heckling is part of the game kahit below the belt, panahon pa ni Tony Boy Espinosa na tinawag na unggoy ng mga Atenista
« Last Edit: Sep 06, 2013 at 06:07 PM by krets pulpol »
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #1206 on: Sep 08, 2013 at 06:47 PM »
Got this from Wikipedia re UAAP tie-breaker rule in case of three teams ending up with the same win-loss record after the elims. Is this correct?

In case of three or more teams being tied, the team with the best head-to-head record usually possesses the best seeding, while the other teams will play an extra game to determine the second-best seeding.

FEU, NU and DLSU can end up with the same 10-4 record if they all win their last game.

But if NU and DLSU lose their final assignments, and ADMU or UST wins their last two, they (NU, DLSU and ADMU/UST) all end up with the same 9-5 record. I'm assuming FEU will beat UP, so it's likely they'll go up 10-4.

Ang gulo. :)
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2013 at 06:57 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #1207 on: Sep 08, 2013 at 07:56 PM »
Ateneo and UST will still play each other so one of them will drop to a 6th loss which maybe the end of the season for the loser.
The only possible scenario is UE, UST and Ateneo with identical 8-6 for the 4th spot.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1208 on: Sep 08, 2013 at 08:34 PM »
^ UE is already out of the running at 5-7.

If NU, DLSU and FEU all end up at 10-4, I understand that NU has the best quotient, so DLSU and FEU will have a playoff for 2nd/3rd (if that rule from Wikipedia is correct).

If NU, DLSU and ADMU all end up at 9-5, the score of the NU-ADMU game will determine who has the best quotient. I think ADMU has to beat NU by at least 10 points so that DLSU gets the best quotient. Otherwise, it's NU who gets the best quotient.

If NU, DLSU and UST all end up at 9-5, I understand that NU has the best quotient, regardless of the score of the DLSU-UST game. Not sure if DLSU-UST will have to play again just to determine 3rd/4th.

We'll get a clearer picture of the Final 4 after the NU-ADMU game on Wed and the DLSU-UST game on Sat.

« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2013 at 08:45 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1209 on: Sep 08, 2013 at 08:50 PM »
^ UE is already out of the running at 5-7.

If NU, DLSU and FEU all end up at 10-4, I understand that NU has the best quotient, so DLSU and FEU will have a playoff for 2nd/3rd (if that rule from Wikipedia is correct).

If NU, DLSU and ADMU all end up at 9-5, the score of the NU-ADMU game will determine who has the best quotient. I think ADMU has to beat NU by at least 10 points so that DLSU gets the best quotient. Otherwise, it's NU who gets the best quotient.

If NU, DLSU and UST all end up at 9-5, I understand that NU has the best quotient, regardless of the score of the DLSU-UST game. Not sure if DLSU-UST will have to play again just to determine 3rd/4th.

We'll get a clearer picture of the Final 4 after the NU-ADMU game on Wed and the DLSU-UST game on Sat.

I stand corrected not knowing Ateneo beat UE today.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1210 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 09:23 AM »

I think this is true and has happened before. Bale ang mangyayari parang best of 3 ang laban ng 2nd and 3rd seed. Instead of simply twice to beat for 2nd seed.

Offline energizer_jc

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1211 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 01:07 PM »
I think this is true and has happened before. Bale ang mangyayari parang best of 3 ang laban ng 2nd and 3rd seed. Instead of simply twice to beat for 2nd seed.

It'll be a virtual best of 3. :)

Offline elim

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1212 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 05:04 PM »
I think DLSU will still go for the win. If the lose there is a chance that they will end up in 3rd. Sayang din yung twice to beat advantage.

IF DLSU wins and:

If ADMU loses to NU then its a must win vs UST.

If ADMU wins over NU they will enter the final 4 if they win or lose to UST by 3pts at the most.

IF ADMU wins over NU and:

DLSU wins over UST they will be 1st in the overall rankings (10-4) followed by FEU with a win over UP (10-4).

ADMU standing will be 8-5 while UST will be at 7-6 when they meet. UST has to win over ADMU with at least 5pts to take the 4th slot.
i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee319/ielim/Faithful%20Sound%20brands%202_zpsttoewu3h.jpg

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1213 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 05:47 PM »
We deserve better.

Offline vinci

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 985
« Reply #1214 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 06:20 PM »
malaking kaBoPerasolan yan kung maforfeit ang win nila dahil di nila alam may ganong rule pala.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1215 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 07:56 PM »
It'll be a virtual best of 3. :)

Yes, that's what I said. :)
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2013 at 08:22 PM by sardaukar »

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1216 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 08:21 PM »
"UAAP Rules, Section 12 #2 - The presence of a suspended coach, manager, assistant manager, statistician, scorers, masseurs, etc. and those listed as members of the team shall not be allowed in the bench or venue during the period of suspension. A violation of the condition of the suspension shall result in the forfeiture of the game where such suspended team official or member was found present."
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2013 at 08:21 PM by mattia »

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1217 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 08:26 PM »
UAAP Rules Section 12 on Sanctions #1 - A suspended athlete shall not be allowed to sit in the bench and its immediate vicinity during the period of suspension. A violation of the condition of the suspension shall result in the forfeiture of the game where such suspended athlete was found present.

A team has 24 hours to file a formal complaint from the game for this to become a violation.  If no complaint is filed, then the game will stand.

UNFORTUNATELY, UE filed a complaint :o

Offline energizer_jc

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #1218 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 11:18 PM »

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #1219 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 11:24 PM »
This leaves a bad taste.

http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2013/09/ateneo-to-ask-uaap-to-look-into.html

problem with that is that those previous teams didn't file a complaint within 24 hrs. as mattia pointed out if no complaint has been filed within 24 hours lusot na yun. so wala rin lusot ang Ateneo dyan.

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 372
« Reply #1220 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 11:33 PM »
Yet more mud being thrown around in the UAAP ..... time for Comm. Chito Loyzaga to do his job and clear things out.

Definitely not a good way for any team to win, but I can't blame UE for protesting - their season is (was) on the line and their protest seems to be within the bounds of UAAP rules.

OT: UE is easily the heartbreak UAAP team of the past 2 decades ...... they've always had decent or great lineups (some very few exceptions) every season - yet they always fall short, usually going down in flames.

ADAMSON, NU & UP also have no championships to show for during that period, but these teams didn't enjoy the rosters that Bong Tan's teams usually have.

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1221 on: Sep 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM »
This leaves a bad taste.

http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2013/09/ateneo-to-ask-uaap-to-look-into.html

Agree 100%, sir. The rebuttal could've just focused on what appears to be a similar violation committed by UE in the same game (player nga lang involved, which is obviously not as grave as the one committed by ADMU). But the rebuttal had to mention alleged violations committed by other teams, even if (i) ADMU was not even involved in some of the games where the alleged violations occurred, and (ii) ADMU's right to protest (insofar as their loss to DLSU last week is concerned) had already expired. Pati Juniors and Women's Divisions, dinamay rin. ???

Very interesting to monitor how the UAAP Board will resolve this on Thursday. I expect them to uphold ADMU's win if both teams will be considered at fault for violating the rule on suspensions in their game last Sunday.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2013 at 12:03 AM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
NCAA / UAAP 2013
« Reply #1222 on: Sep 10, 2013 at 02:06 PM »

Very interesting to monitor how the UAAP Board will resolve this on Thursday. I expect them to uphold ADMU's win if both teams will be considered at fault for violating the rule on suspensions in their game last Sunday.

If they'll uphold admu's win then why bother having that rule if they're not going to follow it? As indicated earlier, teams have a 24hr window to protest. If no team protested UE's violation within 24hrs why bring it up? It's not UE's fault.

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1223 on: Sep 10, 2013 at 05:08 PM »
If they'll uphold admu's win then why bother having that rule if they're not going to follow it? As indicated earlier, teams have a 24hr window to protest. If no team protested UE's violation within 24hrs why bring it up? It's not UE's fault.

I based my statement on the understanding that ADMU filed its rebuttal/protest regarding the violation of Olivares' suspension within the prescribed period for filing protests. Are there allegations that ADMU also fumbled here and failed to file its rebuttal/protest on time? I'm seeing comments online that the window for filing such protests is even longer at 48 hours.

So assuming both protests will be upheld by the UAAP Board (meaning both UE and ADMU are found to have violated the rules on suspended coaches/players), I was thinking maybe the forfeiture penalties would cancel each other out, and ADMU still gets the win. But based on this report, looks like a replay of that game is likely (if it will still have a bearing on the standings next week):

http://www.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/possibility-of-replay-raised-as-uaap-board-weighs-merits-of-ue-ateneo-motions
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2013 at 05:51 PM by Wiggum »
We deserve better.

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1224 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 08:58 AM »
I'm not really a fan of forfeiting a game because of a technicality that doesn't really impact the game. We've been on the losing end of too many "boardroom wins". Things like this, the penalty should be fines or suspensions . But never loss of a game. Those should be decided on the court.

Katulad ng wrong uniform (whose penalty is also forfeiture of a win kung may mag protest after the game), dapat kung wala namang nakapansin during the game, pinapabayaan na yon. The rules need to be revisited.

Offline mattia

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1225 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM »
As the saying goes, "the law might be harsh, but it's the law" :)

If ever there will be a replay of the game between UE and ADMU, this will be an interesting watch.  At least, each team has a chance to win oncourt and not, as one said, in the board room. 

Offline deist

• DVD Guru
  • Family,Photography,Music
  • Liked:
« Reply #1226 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM »

There won't even be these discussions & arguments going around about forfeiture of games, rules for suspended coach & players etc IF coach Bo didn't attend the game last sunday or if he just stayed inside the dugout.

So after he wanted to attack a fan wherein he had to be restraint by at least 3 people, he then decided to attend the game even if he was suspended (for heaven's sake he coached in the PBA, he should've known that there must be a rule re suspended coaches or could've asked).

tsk tsk tsk now ask me again what's my "beef" against coach Bo.

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #1227 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM »
id like to see a rematch but we all know the result will just be the same.. no chance ang UE without their PG..
The Pats way...

Offline elim

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1228 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 03:51 PM »
^^+1 same point of view here. Yung sinasabi nila that there was permission given to him na pumunta is irrelevant (even if true). The rules are there, it's black and white. Suspended coaches are not allowed IN THE VENUE. I don't think that its subject to interpretation.
i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee319/ielim/Faithful%20Sound%20brands%202_zpsttoewu3h.jpg

Offline leomarley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
NCAA / UAAP 2013
« Reply #1229 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 05:41 PM »

^^+1 same point of view here. Yung sinasabi nila that there was permission given to him na pumunta is irrelevant (even if true). The rules are there, it's black and white. Suspended coaches are not allowed IN THE VENUE. I don't think that its subject to interpretation.

Exactly. It doesn't matter whether or not other teams violated the same policy. No one filed a complaint within the given time on those violations. What's in discussion is what Ateneo did and unfortunately for them UE filed a complaint and so that's the issue. Rules are rules.