Author Topic: Adding a Sub  (Read 9007 times)

Offline kapitan88

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
Adding a Sub
« on: Jul 15, 2011 at 08:38 AM »
How can I add a sub to this setup:
(Dai-ichi active sub)

ipod -> dayton T-amp -> Sony BS
netbook -> DAC (encore ENMA) -> Dayton T-amp -> BS

i noticed that DAC has several options, 2.1; 5.1; 7.1 - but how do i connect my active sub in this setup?  Will using a Y-splitter do the trick?

Offline audiojunkie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • >>|<< OB - Dipole Rules >>|<<
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Adding a Sub
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 08:48 AM »

not familiar with your sub but if it has speaker connections you can connect thru speaker level by connecting speaker parallel speaker wires from amp to sub or series from sub to speakers..  :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline kapitan88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 09:08 AM »
not familiar with your sub but if it has speaker connections you can connect thru speaker level by connecting speaker parallel speaker wires from amp to sub or series from sub to speakers..  :)

i'll have a look again tonight.  What i remember the active sub has is an rca input, and speaker terminals (out) for the "satellite speakers", will check again if it has speaker input terminal.

Offline louie1

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 10:49 AM »
this my t-amp 2.1 setup..replaced klipsch sub with A-audio 12" downfiring sub and same connection thru high level inputs.

Offline kapitan88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 12:02 PM »
Hi Louie,

with ref to your setup, am i correct that it is actually your sub's in-built amp that is giving power to your aaudio sc clones?

if i have the same terminals with my sub(to verify this later) can i just plug in my ipod then rca to sub, then the sub's amp to power my BS.  Will it work?

which is better setup? using the sub's amp or using the t-amp?

Offline louie1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM »
Hi Louie,

with ref to your setup, am i correct that it is actually your sub's in-built amp that is giving power to your aaudio sc clones?

No. T-amps powers/drives the SC Clones not the sub amp. The sub amp circuitry only gets the passing low frequecy signal, amplified by sub built-in amp and fed to the sub driver ONLY.

[/quote]

if i have the same terminals with my sub(to verify this later) can i just plug in my ipod then rca to sub, then the sub's amp to power my BS.  Will it work?
[/quote]
NO. connect your ipod output to t-amp line input. and t-amp connected to your sub as shown.

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM »
Hi Louie,
which is better setup? using the sub's amp or using the t-amp?

Hi Kapitan, that terminal acts only as X-over so that the speakers get only the freq. you set on the sub. Signal power still comes from the amp., the sub's amp gets only small amount of variable signal from the amp.
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline kapitan88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 01:42 PM »
ahhh, thanks for explaining sirs, now i understand the setup.  i'll try it tonight.  so its going to be ipod -> t amp -> sub's speaker line input -> BS (through sub's speaker output terminal).  thanks.

Offline louie1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 03:10 PM »
ahhh, thanks for explaining sirs, now i understand the setup.  i'll try it tonight.  so its going to be ipod -> t amp -> sub's speaker line input -> BS (through sub's speaker output terminal).  thanks.
should be ipod-->t-amp line in, tamp speaker out(L/R)-->sub hi level in(L/R), sub hi level out(L/R)--> (L/R) BS speakers

Offline kapitan88

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 04:21 PM »
should be ipod-->t-amp line in, tamp speaker out(L/R)-->sub hi level in(L/R), sub hi level out(L/R)--> (L/R) BS speakers

yup. thanks.  will try tonight, sana nga may hi level input yung dai ichi sub ko. will check later.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2011 at 07:39 PM »
Hi Kapitan, that terminal acts only as X-over so that the speakers get only the freq. you set on the sub. Signal power still comes from the amp., the sub's amp gets only small amount of variable signal from the amp.
those terminals are could be just a straight pass-through or it could employ a xover that uses electrolytic capacitors for the high pass filter. either way you will potentially get better sound if you connect the speakers directly to the amplifier outputs, bypassing the sub in/out. the shortest path is almost always better.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline stickfighter

• Trade Count: (+109)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • IF IT'S LOUD...YOU'RE TOO OLD!!! IT MUST BE SVS!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 01:48 AM »
this my t-amp 2.1 setup..replaced klipsch sub with A-audio 12" downfiring sub and same connection thru high level inputs.

This is awesome!!! :o I have a question...the connection from PC to the SuperPro DAC indicates a USB cable, how is the music transmitted thru USB? ???

Can someone explain further? :) Pardon my ignorance...I am new to this. :-[

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 04:09 AM »
I'm not an IT or tech expert,AFAIK, USB means Unversal Serial Bus, main function is to transmit all kinds of digital data including music, that's why there's USB headset, also USB controllers for game console & other electronic devices w/ USB connection to interface with computers.  :)
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 04:41 AM »
I'm not an IT or tech expert,AFAIK, USB means Unversal Serial Bus, main function is to transmit all kinds of digital data including music, that's why there's USB headset, also USB controllers for game console & other electronic devices w/ USB connection to interface with computers.  :)

Hi brader AJ! :) Yes...I get that. But how do you transmit audio sound thru a USB? I guess my real question here is, can the usb port transmit audio just like when you plug a headset on the earphone port of a PC?

Is there a special software that plays music files that makes it pass thru the USB port? :-[

Offline audiojunkie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 05:02 AM »
Hi brader AJ! :) Yes...I get that. But how do you transmit audio sound thru a USB? I guess my real question here is, can the usb port transmit audio just like when you plug a headset on the earphone port of a PC?

Is there a special software that plays music files that makes it pass thru the USB port? :-[

Good Morning  bro Marts...  :D AFAIK, every device has it's own software or driver for the PC to recognize the device.
Anthem CD1
Anthem Pre1
Audio Linear TT
Ortofon Rondo Red
Theta Dac
GTA SE-40 Amp
JBL L7
AudioQuest

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 05:05 AM »
Is there a special software that plays music files that makes it pass thru the USB port?

after connecting the USB DAC (digital to analog converter,) a new device shows up on your computer, as if you installed an additional sound card.

this new "additional sound card" can then be used as a preferred sound device on your computer, hence accepting digital audio data from your existing audio apps and then output it in line-level analog signals. no special software required (aside from device drivers, which is required by all hardware).
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 05:19 AM »
after connecting the USB DAC (digital to analog converter,) a new device shows up on your computer, as if you installed an additional sound card.

this new "additional sound card" can then be used as a preferred sound device on your computer, hence accepting digital audio data from your existing audio apps and then output it in line-level analog signals. no special software required (aside from device drivers, which is required by all hardware).

Oh I see...so, the SuperPro DAC is the one that triggers the USB to transmit audio signals. :) Thanks for your help sir. I learned something new today. Thanks also brader AJ ;) Now that this has been sorted out...it's time to plan and build my audio set-up. ;D

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #17 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 05:23 AM »
This is awesome!!! :o I have a question...the connection from PC to the SuperPro DAC indicates a USB cable, how is the music transmitted thru USB? ???

Digital yung data bro..
Walang Setup

Offline stickfighter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 06:05 AM »
Digital yung data bro..

Yes brader...I am aware that the audio file is digital. I was just wondering how the audio transmits from the PC/laptop to the DAC via USB. But I understand now. :)

Offline louie1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 08:22 AM »

digital yan idol ;D

pero mas maganda kung from desktop via spdif / coaxial connection ang gagamitin.
dati kase ginagamit ko usb, pero minsan yong humihina at may distortion ang sound output nya(maaring galing sa desktop ko) kaya sa ngayon via spdif na connection ko, as show below:

Offline louie1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 08:25 AM »
wow mali pala amp na nasa pic...yong coaxial po ay sa coaxial in ng dta-100a po nakakakabit..ito po ang connection ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2011 at 09:08 AM by louie1 »

Offline looks

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 09:29 AM »
Hi,
have you tried parallel connection ng sub and BS sa t-amp? may difference ba sa sound?

thanks!

Offline louie1

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 10:46 AM »
di ko pa na try magparallel sa speaker out ng Dta-110a..sinundan ko lang ang subwoofer manufacturer's recomendations .. ;)

Offline looks

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 04:14 PM »
I see.. thanks!  :)

Offline rthirtyfourgtr

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2011 at 09:03 PM »
Hi,
have you tried parallel connection ng sub and BS sa t-amp? may difference ba sa sound?

thanks!

pa-correct na lang po if mali, but i believe if you wire it this way, mangyayari full range pa rin makukuha na speaker-level signal ng BS imbes na high-pass, pagkaka-alam ko may high-pass/lowpass crossover na in effect kapag sa speaker-level inputs ang ginamit sa sub.
One should not seek the meaning of life until one is ready to understand death.

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2011 at 12:14 PM »
it depends on the plate amp of the subwoofer. Some have filters, some have none.

pa-correct na lang po if mali, but i believe if you wire it this way, mangyayari full range pa rin makukuha na speaker-level signal ng BS imbes na high-pass, pagkaka-alam ko may high-pass/lowpass crossover na in effect kapag sa speaker-level inputs ang ginamit sa sub.

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 605
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2011 at 04:50 PM »
it depends on the plate amp of the subwoofer. Some have filters, some have none.

I think the far majority don't, however. It's mostly subs that are designed to go with speaker sets that do have passive filters inside, afaik.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2011 at 04:51 PM by Stagea »

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2011 at 08:56 AM »
Since the topic is about connecting a sub, I have a simple question, pardon the newbieness of it  ;D

The input connections of a sub is L and R. The sub-out of my amp or my player is just 1 RCA.

Would there be any difference in loudness and quality of subwoofer sound reproduction between the two:

1. sub-out uses single RCA to dual RCA connected to sub L and R connections; vs.

2. sub-out uses double RCA (only 1 RCA is connected for obvious reasons) then connected to sub L and R connections.

I hope you guys get the picture  :D

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2011 at 09:06 AM »

SQ - None.
Using 2 RCA on the sub would yield I think +3db on the same gain/volume  setting on your subwoofer. it would be louder,  but it does not mean that the sub max loudness will increase.

Since the topic is about connecting a sub, I have a simple question, pardon the newbieness of it  ;D

The input connections of a sub is L and R. The sub-out of my amp or my player is just 1 RCA.

Would there be any difference in loudness and quality of subwoofer sound reproduction between the two:

1. sub-out uses single RCA to dual RCA connected to sub L and R connections; vs.

2. sub-out uses double RCA (only 1 RCA is connected for obvious reasons) then connected to sub L and R connections.

I hope you guys get the picture  :D
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2011 at 09:10 AM by qguy »

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2011 at 09:12 AM »
SQ - None.
Using 2 RCA on the sub would yield I think +3db on the same gain/volume  setting on your subwoofer. it would be louder,  but it does not mean that the sub max loudness will increase.

Thanks. I thought it was just me  ;D but I actually felt the added strength resulting to me lowering the volume.

Thanks for confirming  ;D