Author Topic: PBA Season 37  (Read 141164 times)

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: PBA Season 37
« Reply #210 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 04:02 PM »
^ I myself was hoping that a big-time coach like Tim Cone would transfer to POWERADE .... Alfrancis Chua would have also made a decent coach.

Ever since the franchise was bought by COKE ownership (from then SMC), they have struggled:

** COKE dealt then stalwarts Hatfield, Reavis and Mamaril to GINEBRA, as part of the franchise sale ..... or they just pulled a fast one over everyone.

** Though a very good defensive coach, Binky Favis' slowbreak game didn't win much in the PBA ..... besides, it did not utilize the horses that he drafted and traded-for through the years e.g. Yeo (struggled to get his old-SLR form), Buenafe, Cabagnot, Miranda, etc

** Though a stand-up guy, top honcho JB Baylon isn't basketball savvy at all ..... unlike his counterparts with the elite teams.

** Bo Perasol is widely-considered to be the "least-technical" of all the coaches - along with Ryan Gregorio (only runs isolation + everybody else crash the board).

Perasol has often been outsmarted by opposing coaches, moreso during endgame scenarios (ALASKA's last second alley-oop to Diamon Simpson was killer).

Perasol has also made very poor draft and trade choices ..... drafting Chris Ross then trading him for an aged Paolo Mendoza, trading Larry Rodriguez, etc

I recall the 2010 draft ..... AIR21 had the 18th pick, while POWERADE had the 19th pick. AIR21 was passing on it's pick, when POWERADE trades-up for the 18th pick (!) ..... only to draft Jai Reyes (!) ...... then pass on it's own 19th pick (!) .... with guys like Hayes, Thiele & Canlas still undrafted (!).

POWERADE wont go deep in contention, with Bo Perasol at the helm.

Management should just hand over the head-coaching gig to Alex Compton (who directs the last quarter plays anyway) .... or go with a decent gamble like Jojo Lastimosa, who is aching for a head coaching stint.

jojo lastimosa is the reason why i got engrossed with basketball, if this happens, powerade ako for sure,

gary david is one of the best who plays in his position, given a very good coach, he would have been a legitimate superstar now, not that he is not but david can certainly compete with james yap, in fact i like him better than yap, im not really into the technicalities of things but wouldnt louie alas be a better coach than perasol? doesnt he deserve the chance?

its a pity that there is  team as talented as Powerade yet they can not create impact and be at best with the rest, this team might probably be more competitive than alaska given a better coach.
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 378
« Reply #211 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 06:16 PM »
jojo lastimosa is the reason why i got engrossed with basketball, if this happens, powerade ako for sure,

gary david is one of the best who plays in his position, given a very good coach, he would have been a legitimate superstar now, not that he is not but david can certainly compete with james yap, in fact i like him better than yap, im not really into the technicalities of things but wouldnt louie alas be a better coach than perasol? doesnt he deserve the chance?

its a pity that there is  team as talented as Powerade yet they can not create impact and be at best with the rest, this team might probably be more competitive than alaska given a better coach.

Good call on Louie Alas ..... he had a very decent PBA coaching stint with MOBILINE, had won it all in the NCAA (Letran) and MBA (Manila).

He got MOBILINE into the playoffs, but couldnt get over the hump .... IIRC this was during Taulava's citizenship issues.

He would make a decent coach for POWERADE - unfortunately, reports say that he's burned out right now .... opting to rest, rather than returning as head coach for the ABL's Philippine Patriots.

However, a formal PBA offer might make him change his mind. POWERADE would be wise to tap him.

=========================================================================

I share similar sentiments about Gary David .... he has the same scoring knack as James Yap (though Yap definitely has the better range).

The only kink in David's game is his tendency to hog the ball in stretches, rather than pass to an open teammate (back in AIR21, he even Arwind Santos, Ranidel De Ocampo, Cyrus Baguio, etc as teammates)

It's just unfortunate that David has been coached by an inept Bo Perasol for a long time now (AIR21 & COKE) ..... Bo Perasol neither has the technical know-how, motivational skills nor the credibility to lead POWERADE. 

Louie Alas or Jolas brings instant credibility .... POWERADE should replace Perasol soon.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 06:48 PM »
i this time of the PBA where the sisters team lord it over in all aspect, be it having talents and getting talents, its a welcome thing to see some changes in the other teams, considering the sisters team have almost always have a lock on talents, teams like Powerade should always consider the next best option and that is getting a more competent coach, Alas has alaways been a winner and a Powerade team can really benifit from his coaching skills, di naman siguro tsamba yung mga accomplishments nya sa ABL at sa amateur, nag coach din sya sa NCAA di ba and with his son at that,yet di inabuso yung pagiging coach nya to give exposure sa anak nya.

i agree on david's being a ball hog, yan ang lamang naman ni yap sa kanya, may mga times pinupwersa na ni david despite madami syang options, better court sense would have made David a true superstar na talagng di bibitiwan ng team, i hope he has a very good attitude too kase kahit mag improve pa ang court sense nya kung masama ugali wala din.

jayvee casio will be able to show his skills in the PBA pero kung si perasol lang kasam nya, sayang ang talent kase yung maturity di nya ma gain and yung mga diskarte na pwedeng ituro ng magaling na coach

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #213 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 06:51 PM »
Have you seen Intal recently? he's much bigger and stronger than Canaleta now.. kaya nga ang panget na ng outside shot ni JC ngayon kasi nagpalaki siya nung off-season.. ang problema ni JC is yung hawak niya sa bola.. he has butter fingers.. walang grip masyado..

College days pa, issue na yan. JC Intal has relatively small hands.

Offline SiCkBoY

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #214 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 06:54 PM »
Saw the BMeg-Ginebra game at the Araneta yesterday. Parang di ko makita yun triangle offense sa BMeg.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #215 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 08:33 PM »
Saw the BMeg-Ginebra game at the Araneta yesterday. Parang di ko makita yun triangle offense sa BMeg.

they're not using it as much compared to their first few games.. kaya nga sunod-sunod na panalo nila.. Tim Cone has realized that most of his players aren't built for the triangle.. si James Yap lang pwede kasi MJ/Kobe role naman sa kanya dun.. hirap yung iba lalo na si Pingris.. and his choice of point guard these past few games shows that he has veered away from the triangle for now.. Urbiztondo is so not the point guard you want running the triangle.. ;D

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 08:37 PM »
they're not using it as much compared to their first few games.. kaya nga sunod-sunod na panalo nila.. Tim Cone has realized that most of his players aren't built for the triangle.. si James Yap lang pwede kasi MJ/Kobe role naman sa kanya dun.. hirap yung iba lalo na si Pingris.. and his choice of point guard these past few games shows that he has veered away from the triangle for now.. Urbiztondo is so not the point guard you want running the triangle.. ;D

speaking of PG,that Barroca guy is doing very good, buo ang diskarte at ang ganda ng kamay.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 08:44 PM »
speaking of PG,that Barroca guy is doing very good, buo ang diskarte at ang ganda ng kamay.

finally got the minutes.. natapos na kasi experiment ni Tim Cone sa simula.. he's getting the right combinations and Barroca is showing what he can do.. the guy's good.. di lang masyado nagamit nung FIBA-Asia dahil offense yung habol ni Toroman.. Barroca is pretty solid on defense.. mabilis yung kamay at paa at masipag.. he's deadly with those mid-range jumpers.. wala rin takot sumalaksak.. he's a pass-first PG but he's not afraid to take the big shot.. he showed it in that 2OT game against Alaska..

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 08:58 PM »
finally got the minutes.. natapos na kasi experiment ni Tim Cone sa simula.. he's getting the right combinations and Barroca is showing what he can do.. the guy's good.. di lang masyado nagamit nung FIBA-Asia dahil offense yung habol ni Toroman.. Barroca is pretty solid on defense.. mabilis yung kamay at paa at masipag.. he's deadly with those mid-range jumpers.. wala rin takot sumalaksak.. he's a pass-first PG but he's not afraid to take the big shot.. he showed it in that 2OT game against Alaska..

yun nga yung napanood ko, grabe ang composure and magaling dumiskarte eh, i hope he continues to get the minutes and wag ma injure, roger yap is ageing already, tamng tamang pamlit si barroca, i think he is way better than the filam guy

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 09:07 PM »
yun nga yung napanood ko, grabe ang composure and magaling dumiskarte eh, i hope he continues to get the minutes and wag ma injure, roger yap is ageing already, tamng tamang pamlit si barroca, i think he is way better than the filam guy

what I like about Urbiztondo is the "angas" factor.. ang tapang! I remember his best game nung nasa Air21 pa siya.. Quarterfinals against Alaska.. he shot 5 consecutive 3s yata yun.. mag-isa niyang binaon yung Alaska.. 3 on 1 fastbreak, tatlo sila magkakampi isa lang kalaban tumira ba naman ng tres.. walang takot ang loko kahit sa sariling coach.. ;D

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 09:27 PM »

agree. of the current crop of rookies, i'm banking on casio, barroca and ababuo to make the niggest impact. paul lee is good, but i think he is over-rated.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 09:35 PM »
what I like about Urbiztondo is the "angas" factor.. ang tapang! I remember his best game nung nasa Air21 pa siya.. Quarterfinals against Alaska.. he shot 5 consecutive 3s yata yun.. mag-isa niyang binaon yung Alaska.. 3 on 1 fastbreak, tatlo sila magkakampi isa lang kalaban tumira ba naman ng tres.. walang takot ang loko kahit sa sariling coach.. ;D

Yup, Urbiztondo is very dangerous when he gets on those streaks of his ..... I vividly recall that quarterfinals game against ALASKA (ALASKA practically tanked a game to face AIR21) ..... Urbiztondo and import Alpha Banguera carried them in that Q3 romp, towards a 3-point win.

After the game, head coach Bong Ramos was practically shouting during the interviews, "I love Urbiztondo .... I love that guy."

Despite being AIR21's best PG, they relegate Urbiztondo to the unrestricted reserve list ..... a few days later, he was signed up by BMEG.

Pimp Daddy Bert Lina strikes gold again.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 09:44 PM »
agree. of the current crop of rookies, i'm banking on casio, barroca and ababuo to make the niggest impact. paul lee is good, but i think he is over-rated.

i dont think paul lee can sustain what he is showing now, paul lee is just one of the guys during his amateur days and is not a multi faceted player, my best guess is that barroca will even be better than him down the road,

casio, its a given pero kung laging malaglag team nya sayang.

dylan ababou may perhaps be the best product of UST after Cyrus Baguio, i have to pass on Jervy Cruz as I dont think he has been showing anything in the PBA.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 09:46 PM »

Yup, Urbiztondo is very dangerous when he gets on those streaks of his ..... I vividly recall that quarterfinals game against ALASKA (ALASKA practically tanked a game to face AIR21) ..... Urbiztondo and import Alpha Banguera carried them in that Q3 romp, towards a 3-point win.

After the game, head coach Bong Ramos was practically shouting during the interviews, "I love Urbiztondo .... I love that guy."

Despite being AIR21's best PG, they relegate Urbiztondo to the unrestricted reserve list ..... a few days later, he was signed up by BMEG.

ito ba yung player na parang loose canon? tira ng tira galaw ng galaw na parang kontra tyempo?

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 09:52 PM »

it just dawned upon me, nag iisip ako bakit pa pamigay ng pmaigay tong taong to ng tested players kapalit eh rookie pick in the next draft, while i was watching the champisnhip game ng PHI at THAI kagabi, i just realized ang titindi pala ng posible rookies sa coming draft, abueva, hodge,yung kasama ni hodge na filam din, slaughter eh di may manenegosyo na naman si lina? bakit pinapayagan ito ng PBA kung baga sa pera prang money laundering na ito eh

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM »
^ Player dealing has been Bert Lina's (and RED BULL's owner George Chua) MO for a long time now .... fortunate if you're a diehard/hardcore SMC & MVP fan ..... but just sad for true followers of the sport.

Former commisioner Sonny Barrios was ignorant & useless, letting the lopsided deals slide, during his term.

Current commisioner Chito Salud, has always stated that he's against lopsided trades - yet allows them to happen just the same.

Chito Salud means well ..... but he just cannot say no to his SMC padrino Danding Cojuangco - who had handpicked him to be a member of PETRON's Board of Directors.

========================================================================

The next 2012 PBA draft will likely be the same as the recent one .... top-heavy & deep. Potential draftees are Abueva, Slaughter, Pascual, etc.

Plus a handful of quality D-League Filams as well - who could've entered the last draft .... but was barred by a last-minute rule which required Filam draftees to play at least 2 D-League conferences.

Offline Onkyo606

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 10:44 PM »
^ Player dealing has been Bert Lina's (and RED BULL's owner George Chua) MO for a long time now .... fortunate if you're a diehard/hardcore SMC & MVP fan ..... but just sad for true followers of the sport.

Former commisioner Sonny Barrios was ignorant & useless, letting the lopsided deals slide, during his term.

Current commisioner Chito Salud, has always stated that he's against lopsided trades - yet allows them to happen just the same.

Chito Salud means well ..... but he just cannot say no to his SMC padrino Danding Cojuangco - who had handpicked him to be a member of PETRON's Board of Directors.

========================================================================

The next 2012 PBA draft will likely be the same as the recent one .... top-heavy & deep. Potential draftees are Abueva, Slaughter, Pascual, etc.

Plus a handful of quality D-League Filams as well - who could've entered the last draft .... but was barred by a last-minute rule which required Filam draftees to play at least 2 D-League conferences.

sad state of the sport :(

what makes any sport get strong following yung pagiging competent nito, kung maging lopsided laht, wala ng magtyaga, siguro kung may NBA, duon tayo lahat ng post hahahahaha

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Nov 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM »
and 5 of the 10 1st round picks in the next draft belong tom SMC teams.. 2 for Ginebra, 2 for Petron and 1 for B-Meg.. the SMC teams are good to go for another 10 years or so.. yan ang nagagawa ng pera.. ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #228 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM »
Powerade is also a SMC team right?
SMC has invested in a battallion of coaches so a quick transfer will do but my theory is that Lina has an agreement with SMC that Perasol should work for them (like a mole) in exchange for these trades of players.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2011 at 10:38 AM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline wacksy1021

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #229 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM »
SMC has invested in a battallion of coaches so a quick transfer will do but my theory is that Lina has an agreement with SMC that Perasol should work for them (like a mole) in exchange for these trades of players.

As far as I know the control of the coke/powerade operations in the philippines was transferred back to Atlanta which is Coke's mother company. As usual tinubuan lang nang SMC tapos binalik nila sa may ari after a few years. Dyan ako bilib kay Ramon Ang  ;D

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM »
SMC has invested in lots of coaches so a quick transfer will do but my theory is that Lina has an agreement with SMC that Perasol should work for them (like a mole) in exchange for these trades of players.

No bro .... Coca Cola has had ownership of the PBA franchise since '06 (the infamous Hatfield-Reavis-Mamaril for scrubs trade), when they bought it from SMC.

If anything, the past few seasons have shown POWERADE to be on the MVP-side of things, when it came to trades & dealings.

** Renren Ritualo relegated to the reserved list - then signed-up by MERALCO a short time later (very similar to the Urbiztondo "transfer" to BMEG) .... this move is becoming popular, since no review from Chito Salud is required .... a loophole being exploited by the elite teams.

** Mark Macapagal traded to MERALCO for scrubs (Timberlake & Menor) ..... then said scrubs were waived by POWERADE shortly .... with Timberlake going back to MERALCO.  

** Asi Taulava traded to MERALCO for scrubs (Misolas & Mirza) ..... Misolas got to play a season, while Mirza was waived.

** Chico Lanete released to MERALCO .... a decent move, since POWERADE had a logjam at PG with Casio, Cruz & Lingganay.

** TnT made room for Japeth Aguilar by trading enforcer Mark Yee to MERALCO .... POWERADE was the conduit.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 11:08 AM »
Thanks for the info, i thought SMC has 4 PBA teams namely PETRON< GINEBRA< BMEG and POWERADE.
POWERADE is getting no where, they arent pushing to further improve its line up.
Casio, Lasister, and David form a decent backcourt but without a Massive frontcourt, it wont be a contender forever.
Perhaps we'll see Lasister in TNT uniform and Casio in Meralco uniform a couple of months from now.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM »
i have to pass on Jervy Cruz as I dont think he has been showing anything in the PBA.

agree. jervy had a lot of promise too when he entered the pba. sayang lang at mali ang napuntahan nyang team. his advantage is that he is very mobile for a big man, good footwork. has good ball handling skills too.

and 5 of the 10 1st round picks in the next draft belong tom SMC teams.. 2 for Ginebra

ginebra is really looking good at this point. but this will be felt, perhaps, next season pa. besides, SMC is still cooking up another trade involving the gin kings to get a center, allegedly in exchange for 3 players (center, wing and point positions) who they can easily replace with two 1st round picks next year.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM »
Jervy Cruz is too small to play CENTER for any PBA team.
He may had an impressive UAAP career but the sudden rise of Rabeh Al Hussani just showed he cant match up well with a bigger mobile Center.
Jervy's style is perfect for a drive and draw type of execution.
Magaling sya sumalo sa mabilis at malakas sya bumuhat pag nsa ilalim.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 11:42 AM »
I'd say that Jervy Cruz has been doing decently so far ..... no one should expect him to replicate his UAAP career, since he's really he's undersized (and slow) against the 4-5 bigs of the pros.

To his credit, he has has worked and modified his game ..... he has significantly improved those mid-range jumpers of his and has been crashing the boards more (obviously a direct impact of Yeng Guiao's coaching).

Last game against TnT, Cruz was supposed to be the Best Player of The Game ..... not until Jason Castro, once more carried TnT in overtime.

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM »
Jervy Cruz is too small to play CENTER for any PBA team.
He may had an impressive UAAP career but the sudden rise of Rabeh Al Hussani just showed he cant match up well with a bigger mobile Center.
Jervy's style is perfect for a drive and draw type of execution.
Magaling sya sumalo sa mabilis at malakas sya bumuhat pag nsa ilalim.

agree. he was big in the uaap, but not in the pba. pag-akyat nya sa pba, forward na ang position nya, a position which he is not used to, and perhaps unconfortable at, since he was THE center back in the uaap.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 01:17 PM »
agree. he was big in the uaap, but not in the pba. pag-akyat nya sa pba, forward na ang position nya, a position which he is not used to, and perhaps unconfortable at, since he was THE center back in the uaap.

He actually plays like the former Ginebra import Michael Hackett.
if only Jervy is 3 inches taller, unstoppable sna sya underneath the basket.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 02:43 PM »
He actually plays like the former Ginebra import Michael Hackett.
if only Jervy is 3 inches taller, unstoppable sna sya underneath the basket.

oo nga. especially considering that he has good ball handling skills plus good mobility. side-step and lateral movements are also good.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 03:58 PM »
Could this conference be another TNT vs PETRON finals?
Ang lakas ng TNT sure in na yn challenger nlng ang inaatay and para kumita ule PBA dpat Petron ang dpat isabak.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Nov 22, 2011 at 04:09 PM »
Could this conference be another TNT vs PETRON finals?
Ang lakas ng TNT sure in na yn challenger nlng ang inaatay and para kumita ule PBA dpat Petron ang dpat isabak.

TnT indeed has a headstart. but the conference still has a long way to go. rain or shine also has a good showing thus far. ginebra is re-tooling and, if they can immediately obtain a chemistry between the old and the new players, can readily catch up with the leaders. they were also in the bottom half of the elims when they last tasted a championship. they collected 13 straight victories before losing 2 of the finals.

ganyan din ang petron last conference, started out slow but picked-up steam in the middle part of the conference and spoiled TnT's attempt to be the fifth team to score a grand slam.