Author Topic: PBA Season 37  (Read 140695 times)

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 373
Re: PBA Season 37
« Reply #360 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM »
Jong Uichico leaving the SMC camp ..... If this is confirmed, it does clear-up the confusing coaching situation in GINEBRA ...... SMART-GILAS gains a decent replacement for Toroman.  

This would be the first instance in an extremely loooooong time that Uichico leaves the skirts of Danding Cojuancgo.

I had long considered Jong Uichico to the be the luckiest coach in all of professional sport - where else do you see a billionare crony sponsoring someone since college.

Uichico was a very marginal collegiate player - yet Danding had him (and a few other DLSU players) become members of the Northern Cement national squad ..... then it was a DLSU coaching stint (with Ron Jacobs behind the bench, to boot) .... then PBA coaching stints - all amply supported & managed.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM by newwaveboy »

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #361 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM »
Uichico coaching Smart GILAS? Kaya ba nya yan?
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #362 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM »
confirmed na yata, sir. some of his players have already expressed "thank yous" to coach jong. on a lighter note, it does relieve the confusion in the ginebra bench. with that development, coach siot would have a free hand as far as coaching is concerned. kahit na sabihin nilang si siot ang "lead" coach, may say pa din si jong as far as running the team is concerned. and the best part is, personally, the gilas national team would now have a Pinoy coach.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #363 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 12:07 PM »
Uichico coaching Smart GILAS? Kaya ba nya yan?

kaya naman siguro sir. medyo malawak naman na ang coaching experience ni coach jong eh. and he has had several international exposures na din naman.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #364 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM »
Jong Uichico would make a decent coach for GILAS 2.0 ...... just got to make sure that Marcus Douthit is on-board & completely healthy - he is the main key. 

Also, need to select the right collegiate crew and get the right PBA reinforcements - and get them early!

Having Uichico as GILAS 2.0 head-coach might just see SMC finally lending it's players to the national team ..... it was no secret that Toroman wanted James Yap & Arwind Santos for the GILAS training pool.   

It was just unfortunate that basketball & corporate politics reared it's ugly head (once again) during the GILAS 1.0 stint.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #365 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM »
I thought CHOT Reyes will pilot Gilas 2 and Norman Black to the PBA TNT.
I cant figure out the idea of JONG coaching Gilas 2 unless he has a free hand to choose his staffs.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #366 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 01:11 PM »
^ Same here ..... I thought the plan was for Chot Reyes to go to GILAS 2.0 and Black to make his PBA coaching return via TnT. This has been in the grapevine for sometime now.

Uichico will naturally get to pick some of his own staff e.g. Sauler, Abuda, etc ...... if Binky Favis is still up for it, he'd make it (Favis' scouting was impecabble during the Uichico's last stint with national team).

Anyways, nothing is official yet ..... let's wait for the word from AKTV.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #367 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 01:12 PM »
Jong is confirmed to be leaving Ginebra to be part of the Smart Gilas program.. as of now, part pa lang siya ng coaching pool ng Gilas.. he hasn't been named head coach.. iniwan na siya ng SMC eh.. this is a good move for him.. I think SMC is is slowly moving away from the Cojuangco/Ron Jacobs influence.. Ramon Ang seems to be really running it now and Noli Eala has been on the forefront of basketball operations for them lately..

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #368 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 02:04 PM »
or could it be that Chot is losing out on MVP due to recent setbacks of TnT?

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #369 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 02:13 PM »
Probably JONG is doin a TIM CONE via a career move.
He served SMC very long under Cojuangco's full support so its quite a surprise for him to leave SMC.

Lots of candidates in the waiting should CHOT disappoints MVP.
There's the OLD BLACK MAGIC and Frankie Lim just waitin to be tapped.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline ivannn

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #370 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 02:18 PM »
it will be a good thing na rin for BGK, one coach na lang ulit.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #371 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 03:34 PM »
it will be a good thing na rin for BGK, one coach na lang ulit.

ONE HEAD COACH plus half a dozen or more assistant coaches.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #372 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 03:39 PM »
By a mile ....... PETRON has the most number of assistant coaches, consultants, staff, etc.   ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #373 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 04:01 PM »
By a mile ....... PETRON has the most number of assistant coaches, consultants, staff, etc.   ;D

Eventually they'll make it 1:1 ratio assistant coaches and players.
i can imagine how their coaching staffs plan games, inuman ng San Miguel seated around a round table.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012 at 09:25 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline retro12195

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #374 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 04:09 PM »
By a mile ....... PETRON has the most number of assistant coaches, consultants, staff, etc.   ;D
WOW!dami pala patabaing baboy hehe sayang pera ;D
Luxman L430 Denon DL 110 Yamaha YP 700c Paradigm M7V3
B&W OPPO ONKYO 636 Mission

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #375 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 04:35 PM »
I'm enjoying the semis so far but the officiating is very inconsistent.. this play is just one example..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOKby7216w

you can see the referee raise his hand to signal a foul tapos sabay bawi.. you can even hear the whistle.. napansin ko na 'to last game..

Offline retro12195

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #376 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 08:05 PM »
naiyak na naman ang TnT ;D
Luxman L430 Denon DL 110 Yamaha YP 700c Paradigm M7V3
B&W OPPO ONKYO 636 Mission

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #377 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 08:15 PM »
Petron just know how to win during the last few minutes of the game.
Very convincing wins all came from behind. Even if they were behind for 3 quarters every game, they kept their composure and didnt gave up in defense, forcing errors/turn overs from TNT, shared the ball in offense and made all the BIG baskets.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012 at 08:17 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #378 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 08:28 PM »
it is in these stage of the tournament when the level of play of some players, and of a team as a whole, goes up several notches higher. everything to gain, nothing to lose.

however, it is also during these stages of the tournament that officiating almost always begin to suck.

Offline dck22

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #379 on: Jan 11, 2012 at 08:40 PM »
After 4 years Lakay Danny I. show his true game! Galing ng Petron!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #380 on: Jan 12, 2012 at 08:57 AM »
i hope its gonna be a ROS vs PETRON PBA FInals.
mas maganda ang bakbakan although malang tlga sa talent ang Petron.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline wacksy1021

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #381 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 06:46 PM »
Great great win by Powerade... the 30 pt streak of el granada is snapped but monster game by Casio and great game by Lassiter... Just as expected when these 3 have very good games Powerade will always have a chance to win...

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #382 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 07:30 PM »
ganda ng ball movement ng Petron very smooth well oiled.

i used to believe Lassiter is the better player compared to Lutz but un pinapakita ngaun ni Lutz is making me think otherwise.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2012 at 07:36 PM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #383 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 09:39 PM »
I think Lutz will always be the better player because of his passion and intensity.. All-out palagi binibigay niya.. Lassiter disappears more often than not.. Lutz may be off offensively on some games pero yung hustle at depensa niya di tumitigil.. si Lassiter pag di nakaka-shoot, frustrated agad at wala ng naitutulong sa game.. Lutz, I think, is the only player left this season who has scored in double figures in all the games he has played.. tapos he leads the league in steals pa.. injury lang katapat niya..

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #384 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 09:47 PM »
During Gilas international stint, i'm more impressed with Lassiter than Lutz but tonite is just a different story.
Lutz just dazzled on the court too bad Petron didnt win the game when he shined most.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline wacksy1021

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #385 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM »
Petron didnt win the game when he shined most.

It was refs won it... ??? I am not a Petron fan but so many questionable calls by the refs that favored the Texters... Tsk tsk tsk sayang ang kita isang game kasi... well at least double header pa din tayo sa Sunday...

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #386 on: Jan 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM »
It was refs won it... ??? I am not a Petron fan but so many questionable calls by the refs that favored the Texters... Tsk tsk tsk sayang ang kita isang game kasi... well at least double header pa din tayo sa Sunday...

totally agree with this.. shooting foul lahat ng tawag against Petron kahit na hindi naman in the act yung player ng TnT.. wala rin sa penalty yung Petron that time.. pero pag Petron, same situation, inbound lang, walang continuation..

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #387 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 06:08 AM »

fair n square. the PBA would want it all the way to game 7.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #388 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 07:49 AM »
Wasn't able to watch the 2nd half of the PETRON-TnT game last night ...... heard from a ton of rants that the referees whistle did favor TnT a lot during Q4.

This kind of situation has happened many, many times before - epic series between two popular teams ...... PBA (or someone) seemingly coercing the series to go the long route (6-7 games).

I recall one Finals series not too long ago - Danny Ildefonso was continuously shouting "luto" at the closing seconds of the game ..... his SMB team was against a sister team no less.

Also, a former classmate of mine was cousin to a famous player, during the great heydays of the old PUREFOODS team ....... since that PUREFOODS team was always in Finals contention, my classmate would at times give our barkada "tips or scenarios" - let's just say that he was always spot-on on who would win or who would lose a crucial game. 

Well, this happened years ago ..... the good thing is, we get to see another double-header tomorrow.

I personally like the POWERADE-ROS series a tad bit more ...... POWERADE players just running on heart, while ROS sticking to it's equal-opportunity offense. Great stuff.

Offline steelcrazy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
« Reply #389 on: Jan 14, 2012 at 08:30 AM »
it doesnt really matter about the ref's calls. what matters most is who makes the BIG shots in those crucial stages of the game.
Game 3 was clearly a TNT victory but some missed free throws by Ali Peek and of course that 3 ball by Cabognot spelled the difference.
Last night those 2 consecutive treys by Santos and Ildefonso gave the lead to Petron 91-90 but in the return play, the 3 ball by Alapag from the corner was crucial. had he missed, Petron could have sealed the game/series.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2012 at 08:38 AM by steelcrazy »
Gee yoU aRe yoU!