Author Topic: PBA Season 37  (Read 140712 times)

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Re: PBA Season 37
« Reply #990 on: Jul 26, 2012 at 07:32 AM »
I wonder who will be the season MVP now that Caguiao won the last two Best Player of the Conference...

Gary David made it to the finals once but failed to get pass elimination round I think for 2 conferences.

Mark Caguiao never made it to the finals this season but made the semi-finals twice.

As far as I can recall wala pang naging MVP na hindi nakarating ng finals in the 3 conferences...

I wonder kung ibibigay kay James Yap ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 26, 2012 at 07:32 AM by Louie_18 »

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #991 on: Jul 26, 2012 at 08:30 AM »
Nope, can't recall an MVP never making it to any Finals ...... though if they ever award it to Caguioa, the players votes will likely spell the difference (SMC & Lina teams has been bloc-voting for the longest time now).

Not that Caguioa isn't deserving ...... I find David a tad bit more deserving, owing to his historing scoring blitz this year (not just on volume, but his FG% in long stretches has improved) ...... also, David has the much "weaker" team to carry, compared to Caguioa's loaded crew.

Should James Yap win the MVP ...... it would be a travesty. Yap has been playing subpar most of this season - so much so that PJ Simon has carried them in many games this season (1st & 2nd conferences).

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #992 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 06:06 PM »
BGK's Caguioa wins the MVP ..... first ever PBA MVP to have never entered a Finals during his MVP year.

I had slightly favored Gary David (over Caguioa) to win due to his historic scoring blitz, with a nice FG% to boot ...... everyone watching David this season, saw his jumpers as near automatic.

As expected, votes are what carried Caguioa ..... he and James Yap (WTF?) were the runaway leaders in player votes ..... David was a very distant third.

By the way, JJ Helterbrand was the only PBA MVP to have never won a championship during his MVP year.

Shouldn't it be obvious to everyone (except for Comm. Salud, of course) that the SMC and Lina teams has been bloc-voting for the longest time now? ...... that's already half of the PBA right there.

==============================================================================

Well, at least they didn't pull-off the kind of crap they did on ALASKA import Diamon Simpson two years ago ..... SMC's Gabe Freeman won the Best Import award over Simpson.

It was obvious to many that Simpson was the top import that year ..... what lost it for him was a known SMC-media lackey casting no 2nd place vote for Simpson - which gave him a ZERO on the numbers tally ..... the funny part is, this lackey had no problems giving out 2nd place votes to other award categories. 

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #993 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 08:34 PM »
BGK's Caguioa wins the MVP ..... first ever PBA MVP to have never entered a Finals during his MVP year.

I had slightly favored Gary David (over Caguioa) to win due to his historic scoring blitz, with a nice FG% to boot ...... everyone watching David this season, saw his jumpers as near automatic.

As expected, votes are what carried Caguioa ..... he and James Yap (WTF?) were the runaway leaders in player votes ..... David was a very distant third.

By the way, JJ Helterbrand was the only PBA MVP to have never won a championship during his MVP year.

Shouldn't it be obvious to everyone (except for Comm. Salud, of course) that the SMC and Lina teams has been bloc-voting for the longest time now? ...... that's already half of the PBA right there.

==============================================================================

Well, at least they didn't pull-off the kind of crap they did on ALASKA import Diamon Simpson two years ago ..... SMC's Gabe Freeman won the Best Import award over Simpson.

It was obvious to many that Simpson was the top import that year ..... what lost it for him was a known SMC-media lackey casting no 2nd place vote for Simpson - which gave him a ZERO on the numbers tally ..... the funny part is, this lackey had no problems giving out 2nd place votes to other award categories. 

I believe Benjie Paras won his first of two MVPs without winning a championship. This was during his rookie year making him the first and so far, the only rookie of the year-MVP winner. He won over Ramon Fernandez, who led SMC to its grandslam. Fernandez had a big lead in the statistical points but lost in the media votes due to Ronnie Nathanielz's lobbying for Paras.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #994 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 08:47 PM »
^ Apologies ..... what I meant was, since the time that SMC had multiple teams. Bloc voting has been very obvious since this point.

I have little issue with Caguioa winning this year (Yap winning would have been a travesty though) ..... him or David winning it would be okay, since they're the clear top 2 ..... carried their respective teams this year.

However, it would be "nice" the PBA (Commish, Board or whoever) at least try to institute changes to have a level playing field during the year-end awards ...... some awardees since this new PBA age have been quite perplexing .......e.g BGK's John Wilson winning a Defensive Team award a year back

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #995 on: Jul 29, 2012 at 10:13 PM »
Just wow ....... Marc Pingris went after Ryan Arana with a head-butt (to the chest) and a closed-fist (above the shoulder).

Pingris retaliated after being on the receiving end of some rough defense ..... nothing overly excessive, it is the Finals.

Once more, the refs make an "interesting" call ..... Pingris get's called for a simple FF1 instead of the obvious FF2 (any hit above the shoulder is FF2) ...... Pingris gets saved from being thrown-out of the game and (might be) spared from the 1-game suspension that comes from getting an FF2 call.   

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #996 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 03:02 PM »
^actually, FFP2 doesn't carry an automatic suspension anymore.. binago dahil dun sa landing spot rule.. and reviewable naman yun eh.. it can be upgraded to FFP2..

anyway, the Coke franchise has officially been sold to Mikee Romero.. Perasol has already accepted the coaching job for Ateneo next year.. there will probably be a dispersal draft for the Powerade players..

also, coaching changes are in the offing for Petron and Ginebra.. Alfrancis Chua is said to be taking over Ginebra.. for Petron, it's either Rajko Toroman or Olsen Racela..

Offline Hitman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Signature Move: The Sharpshooter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #997 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 03:26 PM »
Alfrancis Chua? Nakakuha na naman ng trabaho tong mokong na to. Rajko Toroman? Di ako bilib sa kanya at ang daming pinoy coaches na magaling. Yan ang pangit sa SMC ngayon, aside from the players pati mga coach napakabilis palitan at tanggalin.  >:(

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #998 on: Jul 30, 2012 at 04:08 PM »
Toroman's hiring months ago was a precursor of things to come ....... it's either Tanquincen or Agustin who'll be replaced by Toroman ...... for obvious reasons, Tim Cone will remain with BMEG.

I myself am not a firm believer of Toroman ....... he does preach some nice basics & discipline - but give Yeng Guiao (and a few other local coaches) the same GILAS extended training period plus the luxury of having Douthit ..... they'll produce some success as well.

================================================================================

Since Harbour Corp. is now in the PBA, expect Jorge Gallent to return to Romero's fold ...... like I posted earlier, Romero's arrival is a double-edged sword ...... it's good that a young, aggressive guy like Romero gets to run his own PBA team ....... however, Romero is a known close-ally of both the MVP & SMC camps (had even control of BURGER KING years ago, before a falling out with MVP himself) ..... hope he runs a strong independent, contending team - not unlike the Pimp Daddy Lina.   

================================================================================

Bo Perasol is one lucky guy ...... he's been one of the most inept head coaches in recent PBA history. He was just lucky to have ridden a historic Gary David scoring run this season .... plus the arrival of blue-chippers Casio & Lassiter.

I was hoping that somebody like Sandy Arespacochaga gets to be elevated head-coach of ADMU ..... ADMU has been successful with their half-court setups & the "Norman Black" defenses ...... Sandy has long been Black's assistant (aside from playing for the junior & senior teams) and should be ready for a head-coaching stint.

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #999 on: Jul 31, 2012 at 08:55 AM »
i don't think there will be a dispersal draft for powerade since he will make the team competitive. expect jerwin gaco to be reunited with Mikee romero soon and other former harbour centre players

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #1000 on: Aug 01, 2012 at 03:26 PM »
Just wow ....... Marc Pingris went after Ryan Arana with a head-butt (to the chest) and a closed-fist (above the shoulder).

Pingris retaliated after being on the receiving end of some rough defense ..... nothing overly excessive, it is the Finals.

Once more, the refs make an "interesting" call ..... Pingris get's called for a simple FF1 instead of the obvious FF2 (any hit above the shoulder is FF2) ...... Pingris gets saved from being thrown-out of the game and (might be) spared from the 1-game suspension that comes from getting an FF2 call.   

Pingris was initially assessed a flagrant foul-penalty 1 but the infraction was upgraded by Salud to
FF2.

http://www.pba.ph/news/entry/1748

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1001 on: Aug 01, 2012 at 04:46 PM »
^ Well that's the obvious call ..... should have been FF2 in the first place, since it was a head-butt and a very clear closed-fist to Arana's head ..... the refs or technical committee should be "re-oriented" on the rules.

News reports say that Pingris wont play tonight anyway, due to a bad stiff neck ...... some measure of justice here. Still, with or without Pingris, I give BMEG the slight edge tonight to further extend the Finals.

Pingris has been playing passive the past few games ...... that ROS frontline is limiting his effectivity. His absence might spur someone else from BMEG to step-up in his place.

Comm. Cheato Salud has been making very inconsistent FF2 rulings since his term started .....

Just a few conferences ago, an ALASKA import was poked in the eye (no call from the refs) and protected the ball with his forearm, inadvertently hitting an opponent in the neck - he was given an FF2, thrown-out of the game and suspended the next game ("you get an FF2, you're suspended" sayeth Salud).

The next few conferences saw very dangerous fouls to the head from a couple of PETRON players (during a series with TnT) ..... a PETRON import & BMEG player throwing the basketball to the face of an opponent ...... all without suspensions from Cheato Salud.

Makes you wonder what BMEG's Tim Cone thinks of all of this.

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2012 at 04:50 PM by newwaveboy »

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #1002 on: Aug 02, 2012 at 10:15 AM »
so, b-meg lives to fight another night. tomorrow's game will be interesting. should ROS tomorrow, there is a very big possibility that b-meg will clinch it on sunday.

on another note, i just thought......would the Big J be a better choice as head coach of the national team? he had the least number of days to prepare for the Asian games, with the least superstars in his team. yet, he managed to bag the silver medal. IIRC, he had only two weeks to prepare his hand-picked team.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1003 on: Aug 02, 2012 at 11:51 AM »
^ Jaworski did great when he last handled the Natl Team ...... but that was years ago - the patterns & players now are much more scientific ...... the Big J might not have the sharpness for it, even with an extended training period.

Much as I despise Chot Reyes, he's probably the best local coach to handle the Natl Team now ...... he has fine-tuned the dribble drive offense and just might get us some wins in the international scene.

More than the coach, it's the quality of players that's way more crucial ...... it would have been great to retain players such as Lutz, Lassiter, etc ...... the addition of standout pros such as James Yap would have been great ....... seems like the the SMC-MVP wars have breached even national pride as SMC has refused participation of some of it's star players to the GILAS 2.0 pool.

Surprisingly, only one SMC player was "allowed" to accept the GILAS 2.0 pool ...... Enrico Villanueva - which was a surprising pick by Reyes to begin with.

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1004 on: Aug 02, 2012 at 02:15 PM »
^ Jaworski did great when he last handled the Natl Team ...... but that was years ago - the patterns & players now are much more scientific ...... the Big J might not have the sharpness for it, even with an extended training period.

Much as I despise Chot Reyes, he's probably the best local coach to handle the Natl Team now ...... he has fine-tuned the dribble drive offense and just might get us some wins in the international scene.

good point. and i have to agree, especially considering the Jawo has been out of the basketball scene for a long time.

and yes, as much as i despise Chot Reyes too, he is, at present, the best man for the job.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline Hitman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Signature Move: The Sharpshooter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #1005 on: Aug 02, 2012 at 03:13 PM »
Sana hindi na lang nastroke si Coach Ron Jacobs  :'( He is the best man for the job sana.

Offline ivannn

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1006 on: Aug 02, 2012 at 03:21 PM »
Sana hindi na lang nastroke si Coach Ron Jacobs  :'( He is the best man for the job sana.

+1

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1007 on: Aug 02, 2012 at 03:47 PM »
Jacobs & Jaworski were the standout coaches for past National Teams .......

However, same as Jaworski, so much time has passed by that even a healthy Ron Jacobs would be running outdated patterns ..... Jacobs' slowdown motion-offense has long been passe' in pro basketball - evidence being Uichico & Tanquincen's poor PBA coaching records for many seasons now ..... not to mention the early exits of Favis & Altamirano. 

IMO the best bet for us now, would be very quick movement & passing - something which even a Yeng Guiao was able to see & exploit ...... during the last PBA-backed Natl Team in 2010, Cyrus Baguio was the clear-cut best player since Guiao gave him the green-light to run & gun.

That Yeng Guiao-team gave some top opponents a scare before bowing out.

Like I said, the much-despised Chot Reyes appears to be the best man for the job, right now ...... or if MVP can afford it - maybe he can pry Mike D'Antoni from the US Natl Team.  ;D

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #1008 on: Aug 02, 2012 at 09:38 PM »
maybe James Yap should have been ejected on the game for punching Jireh Ibanes of ROS.

...Gabe Norwood - 0 point. tsk tsk

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1009 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 08:16 AM »
it's make or break for ROS tonight. if they don't get it tonight, they could kiss the trophy goodbye....but i hope they get it tonight.

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #1010 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 09:07 AM »
Toroman's hiring months ago was a precursor of things to come ....... it's either Tanquincen or Agustin who'll be replaced by Toroman ...... for obvious reasons, Tim Cone will remain with BMEG.

I myself am not a firm believer of Toroman ....... he does preach some nice basics & discipline - but give Yeng Guiao (and a few other local coaches) the same GILAS extended training period plus the luxury of having Douthit ..... they'll produce some success as well.

forget yeng guiao,the last time he coached a national team,we finished an embarassing 8th place.i think that's the worst finish for our national team composed of pba players.he was widely criticized then for not including alapag in the line up.some foreign coaches even wondered why he was not included.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012 at 09:14 AM by jhelenz »

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #1011 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 09:19 AM »
it's make or break for ROS tonight. if they don't get it tonight, they could kiss the trophy goodbye....but i hope they get it tonight.

wala si ping brader, let us see kung anong strategy ni guiao especially for his frontliners.  Sayang si Norwood, mismatched sana sa position nya if only marunong or effective sya sa post. :-X
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1012 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 09:31 AM »
forget yeng guiao,the last time he coached a national team,we finished an embarassing 8th place.i think that's the worst finish for our national team composed of pba players.he was widely criticized then for not including alapag in the line up.some foreign coaches even wondered why he was not included.

Just wanted to point out the Toroman isn't all that he's cracked-up to be ..... MVP probably saw the same, hence replacing him with Chot Reyes (who is the best choice right now).

Give Yeng Guiao the same GILAS line-up that Toroman had and the same extended preparation time ...... he'll produce similar results as Toroman.

I agree that Alapag's exclusion was a bad call ..... Guiao had his reasons.

However, give him full credit though - his inclusion of Cyrus Baguio was met with doubters as well ...... Baguio turned out to be best player of that Natl Team ..... Guiao allowing Baguio to fastbreak, showed that a fast-paced game just might get us closer to our Asian rivals.   

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #1013 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 10:08 AM »
Guiao allowing Baguio to fastbreak, showed that a fast-paced game just might get us closer to our Asian rivals.   

exactly Sir!  with china's giant line up, there's no way na kakayanin ng nat'l team natin na makipagsabayan sa ilalim, unless na magaya din natin yung playing style sa europe wherein bigmen are mobile & can really finish  fastbreaks.
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1014 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 10:13 AM »
wala si ping brader, let us see kung anong strategy ni guiao especially for his frontliners.  Sayang si Norwood, mismatched sana sa position nya if only marunong or effective sya sa post. :-X

they should exploit ping's absence. Norwood is not really a post player, he's much more of a wingman talaga. kaya we should not expect him to post-up. mas effective sya outside and coming from the outside.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1015 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 10:46 AM »
Someone from ROS should rise-up and be a star just for this game ...... carry his team, the way James Yap carried BMEG last game.

If ROS doesn't finish it tonight ...... I'll give them a very small chance of winning a Game 7. 

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1016 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 10:57 AM »
Someone from ROS should rise-up and be a star just for this game ...... carry his team, the way James Yap carried BMEG last game.

If ROS doesn't finish it tonight ...... I'll give them a very small chance of winning a Game 7. 

agree. it's now or never for them. they should stop relying heavily on Norwood alone.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1017 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 12:10 PM »
Yup, it's now or never for ROS ....... finish it now or face a very-experienced BMEG in a Game 7.

Though Yeng Guiao's system has never required a "face" to lead his teams, it would be good if Gabe Norwood shows up soon ...... Norwood has been one of the most disappointing PBA players for the past few years now (even ROS' team owners has stated as much).

He is ROS' lone maximum-salary player ....... yet I can count 10 other ROS players usually performing better than him ....... he is athletic as hell and passive as hell also.

It seems like the trade of his friend Sol Mercado greatly affected his effectiveness ..... it has been a slow downhill slide for him, after his rookie season.

Offline Onkyo606

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's SVS or Nothing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1018 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 12:18 PM »
similar to renren ritualo, during his amateur days, he is shooting the lights out everywehere but he is a very big dissapointment when he turned pro, touted to be as a franchise player but became a journeyman and plays like a regular player.

at his height and athleticism, norwood would have taken to school all of his defender but he has not shown anything for the past couple of years
SVS PB13 Ultra and SB13 PLus

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1019 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 12:36 PM »
similar to renren ritualo, during his amateur days, he is shooting the lights out everywehere but he is a very big dissapointment when he turned pro, touted to be as a franchise player but became a journeyman and plays like a regular player.

at his height and athleticism, norwood would have taken to school all of his defender but he has not shown anything for the past couple of years

Yup, Ritualo does belong among the disappointing current pros ..... e.g. Norwood, Intal, Enrico Villanueva (post-Yeng Guiao), etc. 

Aside from long-range shooting ...... Ritualo seems to have never bothered to develop the other aspects of a SG's game.

Rarely do we see him fake shooting a three to throw-off the defense, then take a few steps closer and shoot an open 2-pointer ...... rarely do we see him go for a lay-up (honestly) - the few times he does go for a layup, he looks like crap ..... he doesn't have that soft, tear-drop shot which is essential for today's SG.

It's like he's content with being a more famous version of Roel Gomez ..... sayang.