Author Topic: PBA Season 37  (Read 141140 times)

Offline jhelenz

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: PBA Season 37
« Reply #1020 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 12:53 PM »
Just wanted to point out the Toroman isn't all that he's cracked-up to be ..... MVP probably saw the same, hence replacing him with Chot Reyes (who is the best choice right now).

Give Yeng Guiao the same GILAS line-up that Toroman had and the same extended preparation time ...... he'll produce similar results as Toroman.

I agree that Alapag's exclusion was a bad call ..... Guiao had his reasons.

However, give him full credit though - his inclusion of Cyrus Baguio was met with doubters as well ...... Baguio turned out to be best player of that Natl Team ..... Guiao allowing Baguio to fastbreak, showed that a fast-paced game just might get us closer to our Asian rivals.   

i dont get it,you want to give full credit to yeng guiao who had the best players in his line up at that time (except for alapag of course) yet he finished a dismal 8th place at the fiba championship.but wont do the same with  rajko who had a mixture of college players,4 pba players,2 fil ams and a naturalized filipino and yet he finished a decent 4th place at fiba.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1021 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 12:57 PM »
it's not totally Ritualo's fault what happened in his career.. he was very good when he was with Air21.. he wasn't just a 3pt. shooter there.. he was Perasol's Gary David then at Air21.. nung nagsimula ng magbenta ng players ang Air21 to MVP and SMC teams, Ritualo was the first casualty..

Offline jhelenz

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1022 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 01:01 PM »
may nasabi pa nga ata dati si caidic na if ever may tatalo sa record nya sa 3 points eh malamag si ritualo yun

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1023 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 01:13 PM »
Toroman was booted out of the national team not because he wasn't good but because he wasn't an MVP man.. he was a Noli Eala hire.. there was a fallout with the 2 and Toroman was collateral damage.. tapos Black wanted back in the PBA.. he can't let go of Chot because he was winning so created a vacancy at Gilas para happy yung coaches nya pareho.. it's still all politics sa Philippine basketball..

Offline newwaveboy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 377
« Reply #1024 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 01:34 PM »
it's not totally Ritualo's fault what happened in his career.. he was very good when he was with Air21.. he wasn't just a 3pt. shooter there.. he was Perasol's Gary David then at Air21.. nung nagsimula ng magbenta ng players ang Air21 to MVP and SMC teams, Ritualo was the first casualty..

I'd say Ritualo's best years was with TnT ..... when he had a powerhouse cast to play with.

Just disappointing, since Ritualo never developed any other facets of the game other than the long-ball ..... e.g. a less-heralded Ronald Tubid developed into a decent shooter and an even better isolation defender .... a 4th round pick (or 5th round) PJ Simon turned out to be a great SG reliever and starter ..... etc.

He had stops with MERALCO & POWERADE - any time teams like these drop you, tells a whole lot about the quality of your game.

He's now with his old coach in SHOPINAS (AIR21) ..... still he doesnt stand-out (except for a stretch this conference) among a team of retreads and rookies .... sayang.

Offline -sniper-

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Guru
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go
  • Liked:
« Reply #1025 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 02:10 PM »
sayang nga si ritualo. he was even touted as the next allan caidic, and this is not without any basis. he is really deadly from the outside, la salle days pa lang. but then, as sir newwaveboy pointed out, he did not evolve and was content with just shooting from beyond the arc. if that is your only style of play, it is very easy to defend you. your opponent will simply deny you the ball and you're dead meat. and there must be plays specifically designed for you. i can relate to that...ganyan din kasi nangyari sa akin sa team namin. and yes, he looks awkward when he lays-up.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1026 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 02:26 PM »
i dont get it,you want to give full credit to yeng guiao who had the best players in his line up at that time (except for alapag of course) yet he finished a dismal 8th place at the fiba championship.but wont do the same with  rajko who had a mixture of college players,4 pba players,2 fil ams and a naturalized filipino and yet he finished a decent 4th place at fiba.

I give credit to Guiao for finally recognizing that fast movement (and scoring) will be our best avenue to even challenging our Asian rivals - regardless of the poor finish ..... who knew that a surprise pick in Baguio would turn out to be one of the stand-out SG's of that tournament. 

Don't get me wrong, Toroman did a great job with GILAS ..... like I said, he preaches the correct basics for international play - fast-ball movement, cuts, a shooter at the corner or top of the key, etc ....... but he had all the advantages of a very long prep time - not to mention having one of the best "Asian" player (if not, the best) in Marcus Douthit.

Also, it's not as if the college standouts & Filams that GILAS got were your average, normal rookies ....... Lassiter, Lutz, Casio, Ababou, Baracael & Barroca are clear standouts during this entire PBA season .... I'd even say that a few them are some of the best at their position, right now.   

Give Yeng Guiao the same conditions, I'd say he approximates the results.   

Offline jhelenz

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1027 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 03:14 PM »

Also, it's not as if the college standouts & Filams that GILAS got were your average, normal rookies ....... Lassiter, Lutz, Casio, Ababou, Baracael & Barroca are clear standouts during this entire PBA season .... I'd even say that a few them are some of the best at their position, right now.   

Give Yeng Guiao the same conditions, I'd say he approximates the results.   

of course,kaya naman sila pinili sa national team kasi magagaling talaga yan sa college,pero compare them naman dun sa pinagpilian at napili ni yeng guiao na mga pba players who are at their peek of their careers at that time.and yes,magaganda pinapakita ng mga former national players nagyun i'd say because of their exposure sa high level of international play and due to toroman's guidance.
you mean to say if yeng guiao coached this college standouts he will get the same results?if yeng can't do it with those players who are considered the best at that time how would he do it with a bunch of young college and fil am players.baka malamang nag shift na ng careers yung iba dyan from basketball to urcc or rugby

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1028 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 03:15 PM »
I'd say Ritualo's best years was with TnT ..... when he had a powerhouse cast to play with.

Just disappointing, since Ritualo never developed any other facets of the game other than the long-ball ..... e.g. a less-heralded Ronald Tubid developed into a decent shooter and an even better isolation defender .... a 4th round pick (or 5th round) PJ Simon turned out to be a great SG reliever and starter ..... etc.

He had stops with MERALCO & POWERADE - any time teams like these drop you, tells a whole lot about the quality of your game.

He's now with his old coach in SHOPINAS (AIR21) ..... still he doesnt stand-out (except for a stretch this conference) among a team of retreads and rookies .... sayang.

I think Ritualo would disagree that his best years were with TNT.. he used to have a number of 30pt games while with Fedex.. he was the main man there.. his minutes were increasing as the years went on but nung nalipat siya sa TNT, bumaba yung minutes niya.. he once scored 27pts in the 4th quarter alone while he was with Fedex.. nung nasa Fedex/Air21 pa si Perasol, Ritualo was his Gary David.. he used to run the same plays for Ren-Ren.. when Ritualo moved to TNT, he was relegated to just a spot-up shooter..
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012 at 03:16 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline jhelenz

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1029 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 03:22 PM »
I think Ritualo would disagree that his best years were with TNT.. he used to have a number of 30pt games while with Fedex.. he was the main man there.. his minutes were increasing as the years went on but nung nalipat siya sa TNT, bumaba yung minutes niya.. he once scored 27pts in the 4th quarter alone while he was with Fedex.. nung nasa Fedex/Air21 pa si Perasol, Ritualo was his Gary David.. he used to run the same plays for Ren-Ren.. when Ritualo moved to TNT, he was relegated to just a spot-up shooter..
that's right nung nasa tnt sya andun sila cardona,alapag and ranidel who also loves to shoot from the outside.2nd stringer na lang sya madalas dun sa tnt eh.i believe dun nawala yung kumpyansa sa tnt due to lack of playing time.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1030 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 03:51 PM »

Agreed that stats-wise, it was FEDEX/AIR21 ..... those formative years, he just chucked away, but never did attempted to vary his game (about as worst coach to start your pro career with, Perasol). 

IMO he was clearly at his most effective when he was with TnT ...... he got efficient shots due to the attention to his more famous teammates ..... plus, can't argue with winning your lone PBA championship.

Sayang .... he got his chances with a very weak POWERADE (hehe, Perasol again) and a rookie team MERALCO (Gregorio, who just loves scorers) ..... even with arguably the worst team in PBA history, SHOPINAS, he still doesnt stand-out.

I'm actually a fan of the kid ..... cold-blooded and clutch as hell (thanks to many Cortez setups) during his UAAP career ..... gave many heart-breaks Espana's way, but cant help but root for him when he turned pro.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1031 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 04:02 PM »
you mean to say if yeng guiao coached this college standouts he will get the same results?if yeng can't do it with those players who are considered the best at that time how would he do it with a bunch of young college and fil am players.baka malamang nag shift na ng careers yung iba dyan from basketball to urcc or rugby

Yup ...... rookies Lutz & Lassiter are special talents, they're among the top in their positions right now.

When healthy, Casio is about a tad bit below the class of Castro, Cabagnot & Tenorio ...... even Tim Cone recognizes Barocca's talent level - letting the kid play in Q4's of big games.

Ababou and Baracael are very decent in their positions ..... right now.

Give these kids a long time to train ...... Guiao can approximate the results.

Let's not forget one of Asia's best player right now ...... Douthit.

You get this guy, you'll compete every time.

Offline boredfilmmaker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1032 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 04:54 PM »
Agreed that stats-wise, it was FEDEX/AIR21 ..... those formative years, he just chucked away, but never did attempted to vary his game (about as worst coach to start your pro career with, Perasol). 

IMO he was clearly at his most effective when he was with TnT ...... he got efficient shots due to the attention to his more famous teammates ..... plus, can't argue with winning your lone PBA championship.

Sayang .... he got his chances with a very weak POWERADE (hehe, Perasol again) and a rookie team MERALCO (Gregorio, who just loves scorers) ..... even with arguably the worst team in PBA history, SHOPINAS, he still doesnt stand-out.

I'm actually a fan of the kid ..... cold-blooded and clutch as hell (thanks to many Cortez setups) during his UAAP career ..... gave many heart-breaks Espana's way, but cant help but root for him when he turned pro.

actually, his game at Fedex/Air21 was more than just shooting.. he wasn't just the catch and shoot guy.. sa TNT siya naging one-dimensional kasi yun lang yung hiningi sa kanya.. he used to slash when he was with Fedex.. and he was even deadlier with his step-back jumpers and one-dribble pull-ups.. but that was all gone when he moved to TNT.. they just asked him to spot up and shoot.. you can't blame the guy for just doing what he's told..

and sure, he won a title with TNT but if you remember him during that season, most of the time, he just played when the game was out of reach already.. he wasn't a major contributor on that team.. kahit wala siya dun, TNT still would have won that title..

he was peaking when he got traded to TNT.. and then he got grounded.. if the Lina's were not in the business of selling players, Ritualo would have been the next Allan Caidic.. sayang, kasi his peak years were spent languishing on the bench of TNT..
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2012 at 04:57 PM by boredfilmmaker »

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1033 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 07:42 PM »
our discussions on renren all boils down to one thing --- he is one talent gone to waste, due to a convergence of reasons. not evolving as a player, being at the wrong team at a point of his career and he never bounced back. two players in the same situation as renren (all outside, spot-up shooting, and not developing other facets of the game) i can think of are mark macapagal and sunday salvacion. except that these two are not as a deadshot as renren. but, i am referring only to the offensive aspect because before sunday left ginebra, he was able to develop his rebounding and defensive skills.
sa nakinabang at humakot sa ht at audio set-up ko na ipinundar ko MAG-ISA, may balik yan......

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1034 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 09:18 PM »
game 7....no matter how dim the possibility is...i do hope ROS gets it. not because i don't like b-meg. in fact, i rooted for the the last conference. i just don't want any other team to duplicate what ginebra has done ages ago.

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #1035 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 09:43 PM »
game 7 baby! i knew it would go the distance when ROS failed to close out the series in game 4. now all momentum is on b-meg's side

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #1036 on: Aug 03, 2012 at 10:00 PM »
game 7....no matter how dim the possibility is...i do hope ROS gets it. not because i don't like b-meg. in fact, i rooted for the the last conference. i just don't want any other team to duplicate what ginebra has done ages ago.

same here, I rooted for BMeg last con, as I hate TnT.. but this con, I hope ROS wins it on Sunday kahit wala si Lee.. Belga and Arana are fun to watch..  :D
The Pats way...

Offline Chorus

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • DVD Addict
  • Reading is Learning
  • Liked:
« Reply #1037 on: Aug 04, 2012 at 04:55 AM »
Go Bmeg..!

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1038 on: Aug 04, 2012 at 06:10 AM »
go go go CONEY ISLAND....since i was 5-7years old hehehehe

now 26yrs old na ako BMEG na ...go go go go
Love me or hate me.....

Offline ≧◉◡◉≦xrampage≧◉◡◉≦

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1039 on: Aug 04, 2012 at 06:30 AM »
go go go CONEY ISLAND....since i was 5-7years old hehehehe

now 26yrs old na ako BMEG na ...go go go go

Lols  ;D ;D

BMEG  ;) ;)
USER HAS BEEN BANNED.

Offline raider125jeigh

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #1040 on: Aug 04, 2012 at 06:31 AM »
Lols  ;D ;D

BMEG  ;) ;)

BMEG na kasi ngayon hehehe...nung bata ako e coney island naabutan ko at cheer ako kay patrimonio
Love me or hate me.....

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #1041 on: Aug 04, 2012 at 08:52 AM »
BMEG na kasi ngayon hehehe...nung bata ako e coney island naabutan ko at cheer ako kay patrimonio

Si papa Alvin ::)

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #1042 on: Aug 04, 2012 at 09:06 AM »

same here brader  ;D
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline warmaster

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Guru
  • My body... My temple...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #1043 on: Aug 04, 2012 at 09:08 AM »
wala bang kangkungan sa PBA? hehehe  ;D

Offline brainwashed

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • Brainwashed by our teachers and all their rules!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1044 on: Aug 04, 2012 at 05:47 PM »
wala bang kangkungan sa PBA? hehehe  ;D

kung meron man Petron ang naroon ngayon. Sino ba ang problema talaga? Si Ato o yung mga players niya? Halos lahat ng talo nila malaki ang lamang nila hanggang 3rd quarter. Nahahabol ng kalaban sa 4th quarter at natatapos ang laro na talo sila.

Offline wengkapre

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • DVD Guru
  • Listen and you'll see
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #1045 on: Aug 05, 2012 at 07:08 AM »
^ sama mo pa Sir si Rabeh Al-Hassaini   :P
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2012 at 07:09 AM by wengkapre »
Denon3312|B&W602S2|SVS PBSB2k|10dfs|NAD502|JDLabs|HTPC

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1046 on: Aug 05, 2012 at 07:15 AM »
IMO too much cooks spoiling the broth for PETRON. Too much scorers ...... not enough role-players to do those small valuable things besides scoring.

Last season, Duncil was instrumental in PETRON winning the last conference - hustles, scores & annoys the opponents as well ..... Ato chose to sit Duncil this conference for various reasons.

Even Baclao (he wont become a star .... but will become a good role-player) turned in some nice minutes last season ...... for all his limitations, Hubalde was a decent role-player for PETRON last season.

===========================================================================

PETRON really needs to choose between Santos and Washington ...... the two playing together greatly affects Santos' game.

When Washington checks in, Santos slides down to SF, where he'll be relegated mostly to the corners ...... Santos' mad hops are best served when he freelances near the paint.

If Loveboy Eala feels the need to showcase PETRON next season ....... he just needs to "trade" Washington for Pingris ...... Pingris will fill any hole that PETRON has, likely leading to a championship.

Offline Chorus

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • DVD Addict
  • Reading is Learning
  • Liked:
« Reply #1047 on: Aug 05, 2012 at 09:01 AM »
Washington for Pingris not bad

Washington fits for Cone's triangle offense. but Pingris contributes energy for Bmeg  ;)

Offline -sniper-

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1048 on: Aug 05, 2012 at 11:25 AM »
rumors are circulating that JWash will be going to BGK.

Offline jhelenz

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1049 on: Aug 05, 2012 at 11:38 AM »
rumors are circulating that JWash will be going to BGK.
then it must be true na it is bgk's turn na palakasin ni eala.majority of the bgk fans are getting impatient because it's been a long time since bgk last won a champioship.they are demanding that some of the bigmen of b-meg and patron transfer to bgk to address it's problems.it seems na hulog ng langit tong si eala sa bgk fans.kerby and rico m. are just some of the recent addition to bgk squad,if washington follows suit it will make bgk's chances of a championship much better.but have'nt eala learned the hard way that having a superstar line up does not equate to a championship.look at b-meg (with devance and intal injured)which i think right now is the least of smb teams in terms of superstar players but has a chance of back to back titles.