Author Topic: HELP: Audio volume drop-off  (Read 1888 times)

Offline stryder

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
HELP: Audio volume drop-off
« on: Dec 11, 2011 at 08:45 PM »
lately, i've noticed some audio drop-off while watching blurays...specially during intense action sequence, the audio volume would simply drop-off intermittently or for a few seconds before returning to it's original volume..is there something wrong with the BD disc or is this setup/hardware/cable problem?

My setup consist of a samsung 40"led TV, lg bd530 player, creative ddts-100 decoder, creative inspire 7.1 and connection are as follows:
LG BD530 > LED TV ( HDMI cable but HDMI audio is set to OFF )
LG BD530 > DDTS-100 Decoder ( COAX cable connection only )

Offline andsmv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: HELP: Audio volume drop-off
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 10:23 PM »
I recently bought an LG led tv, an lg bd 660 player, and only 1 bluray title for now(10000BC). Clear voice feature is alway on in my tv settings so that loudness for voice conversation is good enough even during action scene. I also noticed the same as yours during action scene that sometimes the background sound is low compared to actual volume setup but not always. I have no complain for voice sound. I never point yet to bluray title itself since this is the only bluray title I have for now. I am also thinking that i should have a ht receiver setup so that with a subwoofer, some background sound can be heard enough. I dont know if it needs a subwoofer to complete the audio experience. Well this is just my thought!
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2011 at 10:26 PM by andsmv »

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2011 at 10:43 PM »
Some settings to check.

DRC, Night Mode, etc

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 12:10 AM »
lately, i've noticed some audio drop-off while watching blurays...specially during intense action sequence, the audio volume would simply drop-off intermittently or for a few seconds before returning to it's original volume..is there something wrong with the BD disc or is this setup/hardware/cable problem?

My setup consist of a samsung 40"led TV, lg bd530 player, creative ddts-100 decoder, creative inspire 7.1 and connection are as follows:
LG BD530 > LED TV ( HDMI cable but HDMI audio is set to OFF )
LG BD530 > DDTS-100 Decoder ( COAX cable connection only )

By "drop-off," I assume you mean the sound totally cuts out intermittently, and that it's not merely a lowering of the volume.

A total cut-off in the sound is called an audio dropout.

Analog audio via RCA is more reliable than digital audio via coax.  With analog audio, the signal is transmitted without problems even if the connection is slightly loose or dirty.  But with digital audio, the slightest loose connection will produce audio dropouts.

So if you're having audio droputs on digital audio, the cause is probably a bad connection.

I experienced audio dropouts with my coax connection before HDMI became fashionable.  I replaced the coax cable with an Acoustic Research Master Series, the one that can be tightened by the user by screwing the connection counter-clockwise.  Problem solved.

You twist the ribbed part of the gray
plastic to tighten the connection.

Make sure your coax connection is tight enough.  Try pulling them out and pushing them back in while rotating them as you push and pull to remove dirt/fungus if any.  Or try a contact cleaner spray.  If that doesn't work, try another coax cable.

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM by barrister »

Offline andsmv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2011 at 12:49 AM »
If that is the case then I would rather choose an HT receiver with hdmi input to avoid this kind of issue!

Offline stryder

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2012 at 11:12 PM »

By "drop-off," I assume you mean the sound totally cuts out intermittently, and that it's not merely a lowering of the volume.

A total cut-off in the sound is called an audio dropout.

yup, thats exactly what it is - a dropout....thank you sir for the help....