Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991107 times)

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #2700 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 08:08 AM »
Those models are indeed 'mysteries' but not really rarities -- a lot of them drifted here in Davao since late '90s. The Russian hifi sites also showcase many of them.

BTW, the technician who just repaired my Sansui alpha 907 told me a problematic line in the Yamaha series is the magnetic type such as the B6 and the B70 power amps that were based on Robert Carver's (Phase Linear, Carver, and Sunfire) design. These came out in late '70s and early '80s. These are lightweight amps with high RMS ratings. For instance the B6 weighs only 9 kgs. but rated 200wpc at 8 ohms. I'm lucky my B6 is A-ok, otherwise it could be headed for the dumps.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2009 at 08:09 AM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2701 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 08:17 AM »
Those models are indeed 'mysteries' but not really rarities -- a lot of them drifted here in Davao since late '90s. The Russian hifi sites also showcase many of them.

BTW, the technician who just repaired my Sansui alpha 907 told me a problematic line in the Yamaha series is the magnetic type such as the B6 and the B70 power amps that were based on Robert Carver's (Phase Linear, Carver, and Sunfire) design. These came out in late '70s and early '80s. These are lightweight amps with high RMS ratings. For instance the B6 weighs only 9 kgs. but rated 200wpc at 8 ohms. I'm lucky my B6 is A-ok, otherwise it could be headed for the dumps.

im now waiting for another mysterious stuff - pioneer S45X tube receiver using 6bm8...abangan. (masipag source ko magbabakal ;D )

i noticed from googled results of some vintage stuff that links point to vietnamese chinese russian and european sites.

i had an adcom gfa1a cube amp (200wpc and with builtin fan at the back). its quite heavy and easily drove AR3a (yung may dome midrange) 
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2009 at 08:27 AM by ojof00l »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2702 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 09:01 AM »
Yes, what we call here as 'Surplus' hifi is expensive/upscale hifi to them. The Chinese are paying more for Japanese vintage than new 'boutique' type hifi that they produce. If you look at their hifi trading sites, their prices for vintage Jap hifi are way over Tokyo's used hifi prices.

A couple of years ago, a Vietnamese vintage hifi enthusiast sent me an email inquiring about my gear since he also has a similar collection. I later found out he's a high-ranking government official. Meron din taga Bangladesh who's an official of an international development agency who has communicated with me in the past on amplifiers similar to what we own. 
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2009 at 09:05 AM by sandawa »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2703 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM »
Yes, what we call here as 'Surplus' hifi is expensive/upscale hifi to them. The Chinese are paying more for Japanese vintage than new 'boutique' type hifi that they produce. If you look at their hifi trading sites, their prices for vintage Jap hifi are way over Tokyo's used hifi prices.

A couple of years ago, a Vietnamese vintage hifi enthusiast sent me an email inquiring about my gear since he also has a similar collection. I later found out he's a high-ranking government official. Meron din taga Bangladesh who's an official of an international development agency who has communicated with me in the past on amplifiers similar to what we own. 

nani,

so, do you think the days of "pier surplus" are numbered?  ::) (i heard fewer good quality surplus units are coming in)

update on the "pioneer s45x" - i tested it awhile ago and grabe ang ganda! taob ang amxel34/bom tube preamp combo sa bass and lower mids in driving my bw602s2 and ribbon planars (sans subwoofer pa!) tho taob sa upper mids and HF, medyo laidback. it uses 6bm8 power pentod and triode combi tubes (partida trigon lang ang nakakabit)...

only problem  is it isnt really a pioneer. ;D although the marking inside front panel glass is s45x, research showed it really is an Allied 333 /pioneer sx34. there are pioneer logos on some parts (those square alum parts on the right hand side of the unit). another thing is the tuner - tuned to japanes fm so 3channels only

as much as i'm enamoured by the sound quality, i didnt get it.

pic from the net/ebay >

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2704 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 01:08 PM »
Rene,

Pier's vintage hifi glory days were over for at least two years now. High-income Americans and Europeans are buying straight from Hifido and other online sources. The English guy who talked to me over the phone from HK two years ago was a lawyer for Lloyd's. Instead of going home straight to London, he traveled to Tokyo just to buy a Sansui a907 amplifier whose used price could go over 200,000 yen for premium models. 

Rich Chinese, Thais and Vietnamese are buying from their traders vintage Japan gear at higher than Tokyo prices. Kaya dun na pumunta yung magaganda. Sa atin yung dumadating kung meron pa, mahinang klase, laspag na ang faceplate or cover, at faulty units -- difficult to recycle. Sa madaling salita, true hifi junks na. Kaya kapag merong dumating na maganda, kahit mahal, kuha na -- parang yung Sansui a607 MOS Premium (45wpc) ko at P9K. Medyo masama ang loob ko dun, kasi yung presyong yun dati a907 series na.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2705 on: Jul 13, 2009 at 01:11 PM »
Rene,

Pier's vintage hifi glory days were over for at least two years now. High-income Americans and Europeans are buying straight from Hifido and other online sources. The English guy who talked to me over the phone from HK two years ago was a lawyer for Lloyd's. Instead of going home straight to London, he traveled to Tokyo just to buy a Sansui a907 amplifier whose used price could go over 200,000 yen for premium models. 

Rich Chinese, Thais and Vietnamese are buying from their traders vintage Japan gear at higher than Tokyo prices. Kaya dun na pumunta yung magaganda. Sa atin yung dumadating kung meron pa, mahinang klase, laspag na ang faceplate or cover, at faulty units -- difficult to recycle. Sa madaling salita, true hifi junks na. Kaya kapag merong dumating na maganda, kahit mahal, kuha na -- parang yung Sansui a607 MOS Premium (45wpc) ko at P9K. Medyo masama ang loob ko dun, kasi yung presyong yun dati a907 series na.

kabibitaw ko lang ng sansui au9500 huhuhu. pero ok lang i know it will be soon in the good hands of sir mardoc, who i heard is also an audio hobbyist and an avid collector of audiophile gears.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2706 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM »
For several years now, some posters in this thread have been asking me through PM for amp units I'm selling. For the Nth time, I'm not selling any. I'm happy with just collecting vintage hifi. I also need money but not that urgent.

In fairness to members of this forum, however, if you're serious enough to travel down south to Davao and would like to see my equipment, take your chance on any hifi unit you'd see in my place and if I'm in good mood, I might sell it to you at a good price. That's what Romy Martinez did a month ago, thus he went home with a Sansui AU-D907F at P5K (to be fair and transparent with members of this thread.)

The thing is I don't have the time to ship heavy gear as well as the patience to deal long distance. I admit I have too many in my collection and I'd probably want to limit my amps to only two dozens instead of close to three dozens now. But then again, I'd be equally happy to keep all of them. So, please understand my situation.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2009 at 12:28 PM by sandawa »

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #2707 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 01:44 PM »
For several years now, some posters in this thread have been asking me through PM for amp units I'm selling. For the Nth time, I'm not selling any. I'm happy with just collecting vintage hifi. I also need money but not that urgent.

In fairness to members of this forum, however, if you're serious enough to travel down south to Davao and would like to see my equipment, take your chance on any hifi unit you'd see in my place and if I'm in good mood, I might sell it to you at a good price. That's what Romy Martinez did a month ago, thus he went home with a Sansui AU-D907F at P5K (to be fair and transparent with members of this thread.)

The thing is I don't have the time to ship heavy gear as well as the patience to deal long distance. I admit I have too many in my collection and I'd probably want to limit my amps to only two dozens instead of close to three dozens now. But then again, I'd be equally happy to keep all of them. So, please understand my situation.

Sir Nani, when is a good time to visit you?? :D Haven't seen your collection yet :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2708 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 03:20 PM »
I'm leaving for Zambo but I'll be back early next week. After 3 pm Wednesday would be okay. Also Edwin/EGP/Diego wanted to visit me these past days but I told him I'm still arranging my gear in the living room since my alpha 907 is now back from the repair shop. Maybe you could go together.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2009 at 09:49 AM by sandawa »

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2709 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 03:24 PM »
I'm leaving for Zambo but I'll be back early next week. After 3 pm Wednesday would be okay. Also Edwin wanted to visit me these past days but I told him I'm still arranging my gear in the living room since my alpha 907 is now back from the repair shop. Maybe you could go together.

OK sir...Thanks ha! Will SMS you...Will be in CDO/Manila tomorrow 'til Tuesday...ay I also invite you over my place?? Sir Edwin also wants to visit me...gawin na lang natin Davaoeno Audio Tour in one day hehehe! Sandawa, then EGP, then Superman :D

Thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2710 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 07:17 PM »

wala bang exemptions? can i make an offer you cant refuse?  ;D   ::) joke!

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2711 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 09:31 PM »
Rene,

OT, but still related to surplus amp. Kung remote control lang  ;D okay pa rin. Pero kung amps na at yung ibang malalaki, ayoko nang magdala diyan. Ang baggage allowance sa eroplano ngayon 15kg na lang, dati 20kg. Tapos nuon ang excess weight 32/kg, ngayon P100/kg na.

Offline Nelson O

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2712 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 09:45 PM »

Last Monday i chanced upon this Sansui TU-D707 Digitally Quartz Locked Tuner,
although it's Japanese standard, i still bought it and paired it with my AU-D607.
TU-D707 underneath and AU-D607 on top, what a sight! Those black Sansuis
are indeed fantastic! :)

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2713 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 09:50 PM »
Rene,

OT, but still related to surplus amp. Kung remote control lang  ;D okay pa rin. Pero kung amps na at yung ibang malalaki, ayoko nang magdala diyan. Ang baggage allowance sa eroplano ngayon 15kg na lang, dati 20kg. Tapos nuon ang excess weight 32/kg, ngayon P100/kg na.

Excluding VAT pa :D
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2009 at 09:50 PM by Superman »

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2714 on: Jul 15, 2009 at 09:51 PM »
Last Monday i chanced upon this Sansui TU-D707 Digitally Quartz Locked Tuner,
although it's Japanese standard, i still bought it and paired it with my AU-D607.
TU-D707 underneath and AU-D607 on top, what a sight! Those black Sansuis
are indeed fantastic! :)

Parang NAIM! :D

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2715 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 07:47 AM »
Rene,

Nani,

di kita abalahin na pagpadala dito, nag-iipon na ako ng pamasahe. pagtila ulan at hupa ng baha pa-book na ako  ;D

para di OT... just got a carver c4000 preamp in place of the bom tube pre. may souvenir na si pareng bob c.

pic from the net:

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2009 at 07:49 AM by ojof00l »

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #2716 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 08:03 AM »
Congrats Rene.....mukhang going all vintage ka na....Enjoy the music ;D

Regards,
JoeyGS

Nani,

di kita abalahin na pagpadala dito, nag-iipon na ako ng pamasahe. pagtila ulan at hupa ng baha pa-book na ako  ;D

para di OT... just got a carver c4000 preamp in place of the bom tube pre. may souvenir na si pareng bob c.

pic from the net:

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2717 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 08:08 AM »
Congrats Rene.....mukhang going all vintage ka na....Enjoy the music ;D

Regards,
JoeyGS

tnx joey...nalihis lang ng konti, im downsizing back to t-amp and will try ipod...

Offline JoeyGS

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let your ears decide!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 181
« Reply #2718 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 08:11 AM »
tnx joey...nalihis lang ng konti, im downsizing back to t-amp and will try ipod...

That's a nice combo....if only there is a cheaper version of the Wadia transport to be paired with the ipod....audiophile digital bliss talaga

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2719 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 08:23 AM »
That's a nice combo....if only there is a cheaper version of the Wadia transport to be paired with the ipod....audiophile digital bliss talaga

kent afford na un ;D! extremes, isang Vintage setup, isang V1 setup ok na ;D

regards
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2009 at 08:45 AM by ojof00l »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2720 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 09:09 AM »
Nani,

pic from the net:

That's a nice preamp, although the Carver brand was much maligned by US hifi enthusiasts even those in AudioKarma. Still, Bob Carver is an interesting personality with all those vintage hifi he was responsible for.  Check his classic fight with Stereophile here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2009 at 09:14 AM by sandawa »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2721 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 09:17 AM »
That's a nice preamp, although the Carver brand was much maligned by US hifi enthusiasts even those in AudioKarma. Still, Bob Carver is an interesting personality with all those vintage hifi he was responsible for. Had he pursued his damage claim arising from his suit, Stereophile would have gone bankrupt a decade ago. Check his classic fight with Stereophile here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver

still trying to match it with my gears. and i might try this tweak> http://home.onemain.com/~jvandyke/id10.html

ayos match neto sa subwoofer ko na ala-sunfire cube hehehe

sayang nawala kay bob ang carver. actually, noon hanap din carver tfm amp but ended with adcom amp. kababasa ng mga magazines - stereo review, audio, audio critic, TAS etc. wala pa internet nung panahon natin na de-pihit ang pagdial ng talepono with matching crossline/partyline... "hello pakibaba naman ang phone gagamit nuna ako!"

Offline romymartinez

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2722 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 12:54 PM »

Sir Sandawa,

Again big big thanks for the Sansui AU-D907F.

And of course I really enjoyed talking with you and listening to your gears. The Allman Brothers Band and the Doors sounds awesome in your system. ;D

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2723 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 02:24 PM »
Sir Sandawa,

Again big big thanks for the Sansui AU-D907F.

And of course I really enjoyed talking with you and listening to your gears. The Allman Brothers Band and the Doors sounds awesome in your system. ;D

sir romy,

come on baby light my fire! para bang nasa fillmore east pag tirada ni duane n dickey ng IMOER at whipping post? sabayan mo pa ng boses ni jim at greg  ;D

anakng**&&^%^%&^  ayas humupa ng baha! pero buti na ito kesa sa lindol ng 1990!
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2009 at 02:25 PM by ojof00l »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2724 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 02:49 PM »
Hi guys,

Just to let you know. BeatleFred -- the legendary Sansui expert based in New York who has moderated many international Sansui forums -- has just sent me an email informing me he's coming to Manila next month. If there's a chance, we (Sansui owners, esp. Southpeak and LordFoo) could probably hold a meeting depending on his schedule.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2725 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 03:33 PM »
Hi guys,

Just to let you know. BeatleFred -- the legendary Sansui expert based in New York who has moderated many international Sansui forums -- has just sent me an email informing me he's coming to Manila next month. If there's a chance, we (Sansui owners, esp. Southpeak and LordFoo) could probably hold a meeting depending on his schedule.

ayos! ako bahala sa agua de pataranta pagdating dito. may dalang vintage stuff?....maski tu-x1 o 919 tuner ayos na!

edit/add: 19kilos pala tu-x1 hehehe
pwede ba yung kabebenta lang ng sansui...lakay sir mardoc! pahiram muna nung au9500...o sansui dvd sawing machine owner? ;D

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2009 at 03:38 PM by ojof00l »

Offline Nelson O

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2726 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 03:58 PM »

Sir Rene,

Sa ganda talaga ng TU-919, ako kahit japanese domestic equivalent model na TU-D707
tinira ko na din. Tatlo lang ang FM stations ;D but you can somehow feel the unbelievable
sound of FM stereo, even the AM performance is great. Lalo tuloy ako nanggigil sa
TU-919! ;D

PS tama ba? TU-D707 is the equivalent of international model TU-919?

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2727 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 04:43 PM »
mga sirs,
 tanong ko lang kung ano ba dapat ang mga consideration bago ko ipower-up ulit yung mga lumang amps?  yung mga acquisition ko kasi dati dinala sa province (Nueva Ecija) and matagal na mga di nagagamit.  supposedly kasi sa brothers ko yun eh medyo natenga at naalikabukan na lang, nakalagay lang kasi sa steel rack.  They are Sansui AU-D607X, Sansui AU-D907X, Kenwood L-03A, Kenwood 1100SD, Marantz PM84D, Luxman LV102 and Luxman LV117.  Yung nandito ko sa Manila is Sansui AU-777 na matagal na din di ko napower-on.

thanks.
Know Thyself!

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #2728 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 04:45 PM »
Hi guys,

sige sir, keep us posted. baka tumapat sa mga schedule natin, bakit hindi..  ;)

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2729 on: Jul 16, 2009 at 04:48 PM »
Sir Rene,

Sa ganda talaga ng TU-919, ako kahit japanese domestic equivalent model na TU-D707
tinira ko na din. Tatlo lang ang FM stations ;D but you can somehow feel the unbelievable
sound of FM stereo, even the AM performance is great. Lalo tuloy ako nanggigil sa
TU-919! ;D

PS tama ba? TU-D707 is the equivalent of international model TU-919?

basta sansui top.of.the line or upper model tuners, ayos! una ako sa pila ha! ;D