Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991080 times)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #2790 on: Oct 23, 2009 at 05:23 PM »
Nagtaka din nga ako sa Koss na nandun e. Wala akong makita sa internet na reviews.

Speaking of the person who made the reservation for the Sony TA-F7, pls be so kind to get your unit as my knees get weaker by the day I see that unit ... hehehe  :D
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2009 at 05:39 PM by rascal101 »

Offline dnk

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2791 on: Oct 23, 2009 at 05:39 PM »
Koss at jap.surplus? afaik, koss= headphones and speakers. ewan lang kung gumawa sila ng amplifiers.

Sir Rene, kamot ulo nga ako nung makita ko e. Alangan namang head amp yun? napakalaki at napakabigat para sa headamp, although may 2 headphone outputs sa harap. kaya lang, bat me binding post sa likod? di ko napakingan kasi wala silang preamp!
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2009 at 05:40 PM by dnk »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2792 on: Oct 23, 2009 at 05:42 PM »
Sir Rene, kamot ulo nga ako nung makita ko e. Alangan namang head amp yun? napakalaki at napakabigat para sa headamp, although may 2 headphone outputs sa harap. kaya lang, bat me binding post sa likod? di ko napakingan kasi wala silang preamp!

malamang power amp yan. pwedeng gamitin yung ibang integrated amp. kung may main-in/preamp out jumper. gamitin as preamp.

kunan mo ng pics front and back panel. post mo dito

Offline Lord Foo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2793 on: Oct 23, 2009 at 08:27 PM »
Since very little is known about the Koss power amp it may not be the right time to take your chances. Try and look around for other amps in the vicinity. Something better might show up. When I was there last week I saw a Pioneer M-73 power amp, Technics SU-V9 int amp, Sony TA-F6 int amp, Sony TA-F7 (VFET) int amp, Yamaha A-1 int amp just to name a few.

uy magaganda lahat yan ah... specially the VFET. somebody grab that rare bird.

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2794 on: Oct 24, 2009 at 11:44 AM »
Might as well continue with the amp list. Also saw a Sony TA-N220 and a TA-N330ES power amp.

Offline insomnia

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2795 on: Oct 25, 2009 at 04:51 PM »
A few months ago, I bought a complete audio analogue system; a paganini cd player and a pucini se amp.  Not being contented, I upgraded the amp to pucini setetanta to try out how 70watts will affect the sound imaging.  It was melodious to say the least.  Unfortunately a few weeks ago, I bought a marantz pm 550dc and I cant believe the sound coming out. It was fantastic to say the least.  the unit cost me less than 10k and it sounded better than my system! I can't believe it.  Now I'm hooked.  I started looking for vintage marantz in Manila but I guess there is a reason why they call it vintage. it is difficult to find.  I started ordering from the internet and hopefully, I get it before the end of the year :)  If there is any good soul here looking to sell their vintage marantz, think of me :)  I'm in the market to change my whole system.

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2009 at 05:01 PM by insomnia »
i don't suffer fools gladly

Offline Jakob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2796 on: Oct 27, 2009 at 03:28 AM »
oo nga, why are so called vintage amplifiers often sound better (less harsher, full bodied) than modern ones? today's electronics is supposed to be superior.  ???

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2797 on: Oct 27, 2009 at 04:50 AM »
oo nga, why are so called vintage amplifiers often sound better (less harsher, full bodied) than modern ones? today's electronics is supposed to be superior.  ???

soemthing to think about,  ;D they were saying the same when triodes were upstaged by pentodes in the mass market scene.....that was a good 50 ~ 60 years ago.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2009 at 04:52 AM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #2798 on: Oct 27, 2009 at 08:40 AM »

maybe because it was the Golden Era of Audio,
where most talented Audio designers abound.
parang Renaissance period baga, kung san nagsulputan ang mga genius.
nowadays, halos puro application na lan with some twists /flavors ng mga patented discoveries nila.
 :)

Offline kefq

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #2799 on: Oct 27, 2009 at 06:58 PM »
A few months ago, I bought a complete audio analogue system; a paganini cd player and a pucini se amp.  Not being contented, I upgraded the amp to pucini setetanta to try out how 70watts will affect the sound imaging.  It was melodious to say the least.  Unfortunately a few weeks ago, I bought a marantz pm 550dc and I cant believe the sound coming out. It was fantastic to say the least.  the unit cost me less than 10k and it sounded better than my system! I can't believe it.  Now I'm hooked.  I started looking for vintage marantz in Manila but I guess there is a reason why they call it vintage. it is difficult to find.  I started ordering from the internet and hopefully, I get it before the end of the year :)  If there is any good soul here looking to sell their vintage marantz, think of me :)  I'm in the market to change my whole system.

I have the higher model PM-750DC, let me know if you're interested.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2009 at 07:00 PM by kefq »

Offline Jakob

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2800 on: Oct 27, 2009 at 07:53 PM »
maybe because it was the Golden Era of Audio,
where most talented Audio designers abound.
parang Renaissance period baga, kung san nagsulputan ang mga genius.
nowadays, halos puro application na lan with some twists /flavors ng mga patented discoveries nila.
 :)

agree. also, most of our ears are conditioned to hear the the junks we are listening to today. kaya pag biglang nakarinig ng 'old' technology.. wow ang ganda ng tunog.

Offline Jakob

• Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2801 on: Oct 27, 2009 at 07:55 PM »
soemthing to think about,  ;D they were saying the same when triodes were upstaged by pentodes in the mass market scene.....that was a good 50 ~ 60 years ago.

agree din. call it economics of mass marketing.

basta uso, maganda  ;D

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2802 on: Oct 28, 2009 at 06:53 AM »
True, it's economics. Reproducing upscale vintage audio of the '70s and '80s today requires a lot of cash, notwithstanding increasing technology efficiency. A case in point is the decision of Luxman to reproduce its '70s and '80s amps.

SQ-38's last model in late '70s using 50CA10 tubes on power section was sold at 168,000 yen or roughly $700 at then prevailing exchange rate. The new SQ-38u released two years ago was sold at $5,000 if I'm not mistaken and it does not even use those much-acclaimed 50CA10s. When Jap audiophiles complained, Luxman's CEO said the retail price of the SQ-38u would double if they would use 50CA10s, which was produced by NEC for Luxman's valve line in the '70s.

The Luxman L-550, a 50wpc pure class A released in 1981 at 250,000 yen (just over $1,000 at 1981 exchange rate), was re-issued as L-550u two years ago with a new faceplate but at an introductory price of roughly $3,000. Sansui in 1999 also re-issued the 1965 AU-111 but with a huge price difference: 440,000 yen as against 65,000 yen for the original unit.

Surely, current manufacturers could reproduce the good sound of those upscale vintage units but at a much higher price, which only a very small segment of the market could afford. For instance, if the L-550u is sold here, its price would probably be at least P150,000. I can't afford that, besides I got my original L-550 at less than P10k.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline insomnia

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2803 on: Oct 30, 2009 at 12:47 AM »
I was able to buy this recently.  Sounds charmingly sweet with a nice sound stage.  But its lonely and needs a another pair.  Anyone knows where?

Offline kefq

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #2804 on: Oct 31, 2009 at 09:52 PM »
I was able to buy this recently.  Sounds charmingly sweet with a nice sound stage.  But its lonely and needs a another pair.  Anyone knows where?

Jun congrats ganda nito.

Offline insomnia

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2805 on: Oct 31, 2009 at 10:26 PM »
Thanks Dexter, I'm hoping to find its' twin somewhere nearby.

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2806 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 11:17 AM »
Gud day! Anyone here has or experienced using a Pioneer SA-8900 Mk2, integrated amp, 100v japan version. I believe the american equivalent is the SA-9500 mk2.

A friend is offering me one but need to know if this is a good amp with audiophile grade soundquality. Can it level with other classic amps? Tnx  :)

Offline bb3

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2807 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 02:23 PM »
Gud day! Anyone here has or experienced using a Pioneer SA-8900 Mk2, integrated amp, 100v japan version. I believe the american equivalent is the SA-9500 mk2.

A friend is offering me one but need to know if this is a good amp with audiophile grade soundquality. Can it level with other classic amps? Tnx  :)

check out link:
http://www.pinoydvd.com/index.php?topic=92560.240

Offline allan1836

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2808 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 03:01 PM »
bb3, thanks for the link, nice gears out there!  :o Though I need a more in-depth comments/review sana on this particular pioneer model. Tnx 

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2809 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 03:40 PM »

dont want to offend you,suggestion lang.
since he is a friend, why not borrow and listen to it in your set-up?
ano po ba ang "audiophile grade soundquality" , in your own definition ???, iba iba kasi ang response ng tenga and likes natin.
however, these gears i believe conform to certain form of known audio standards to pass quality gates.
so, i believe its a matter of preference and being subjective.

thanks

Offline retro12195

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #2810 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 04:10 PM »

call this number 407-8809 VIOLY ihahanap kayo sa Japan ;)
Luxman L430 Denon DL 110 Yamaha YP 700c Paradigm M7V3
B&W OPPO ONKYO 636 Mission

Offline allan1836

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2811 on: Nov 09, 2009 at 07:10 PM »
dont want to offend you,suggestion lang.
since he is a friend, why not borrow and listen to it in your set-up?
ano po ba ang "audiophile grade soundquality" , in your own definition ???, iba iba kasi ang response ng tenga and likes natin.
however, these gears i believe conform to certain form of known audio standards to pass quality gates.
so, i believe its a matter of preference and being subjective.

thanks

You have a point there, though, layo kasi nya samin and I don't have a service right now. Also, I have my own insight on the pioneer though not as solid as, let say, marantz, sansui  or luxman, which I had the pleasure of using before. I also want to gauge my personal insight with what others would say on the amp para I can verify my findings din.  :)   

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2812 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 08:55 AM »
Ok fair enough, understand your situation Allan.
I have some pioneers. The nearest I have with your inquiry about SA-8900II is my SA-8800II.
It is "audiophile sounding" to my taste.
I cant describe how good it is but is pretty much satisfied.
The bass is tight (just the way i like it) and the highs are just enough to sizzle. The mids are ok too.
Soundstage wise, it seems ok though I have limited listening space cramped with other things like furnitures around. The sound it produces is pleasant to me and is alright as listened by some friends.
I cant compare it with classic amps, though I have the feeling it can stand on its own merits.Listened to some though.
Besides, its very hard for me to recall the sound experience in detail for other amps. That is why, Im amazed when some described them in detail thru memory, describing/praising them so & so... :D
Im not a purist, if I feel the source material signal in  my set up needs some adjustments,I adjust the tone
as it pleases me and the way I feel the sounds ok.In the first place,I was not around in the recording booth, so dont know how those music was recorded, so I cant tell what is the actual recording sound (also, factor in the recording taste/ability of the recording engineer). I doubt also, even if I was there, if my memory can accurately reproduce the recording condition. I just adjust the sound if I feel it is too flat, or the percussion effects, the vocals need to be emphasized , too tame or what. Sometimes, I listen also to flat condition or in tone defeat mode, if I feel the sound material is fine.

mine looks similar lang, except for the green display:http://www.classicaudio.com/value/pio/SA8800.html
my pioneer set-up: generic dvd player as cdp > SA-8800II > decent spkr wires (gauge 12) > victor speakers:sx-3II/5II
gudluck :).
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2009 at 09:11 AM by dana »

Offline allan1836

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2813 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 04:37 PM »
Thanks very much dana, for your time in giving a short review of your pioneer SA-8800II. I'm sure it's a close relative to the SA-8900II, thus, similar characteristics. And with your statements, I think it's a good buy for me. Just wonder, is your amp powerful enough to drive floorstanding speakers with 89db sensitivity?

I admit I was a purist before and won't touch the tone control at all but lately my perception is changing.  :-\ This started when I tried combining PC audio with my home system. I found some music recordings (specially mp3 files) being enhanced by some music software enhancer like bbe on windows media player. Also, the limitations of the speakers, environment, etc. really need to be address by some music manipulation.

Again thanks for the help.  ;)   

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2814 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 05:24 PM »
the amp (SA-8800II), has more than enough power of 80Wrms/ch @ 8 ohms load, .005THD, as specified) to drive an 89db sensitivity floorstanders, I believe. Question is, how loud can you play it as your environment permits? In  my case or usual case, 5 watts of power is  loud enough for home listening level (unless, its a dedicated/treated closed sound room). Some disciples/believers of SE tube amps, are happy with as small as 0.75W/ch driving a high efficiency vintage speaker system. :)

Offline karipas

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #2815 on: Nov 12, 2009 at 03:18 AM »
I also have the SA-8800II which I did a re-cap recently, its a versatile little integrated amp. I like everything of it specifically the tone controls which are similar to an eqaulizer, in fact I like it so much I placed it with in my luggage when I moved out of the country.  ;D
Sansui, Pioneer, Sonic Frontiers, Paradigm, Technics, Onkyo, PSB, TAD

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2816 on: Nov 12, 2009 at 04:40 AM »
FWIW, audio amplifier manufacture in japan goes thru a certein "fad cycle" and so you will see amplifier topologies that are simmilar from brand to brand, it depends on what semiconductor chips are avaialble at the time of manufacture from such fab houses as toshiba, matshisita, fuji, sanken and others... ;D

parang lonta, minsan bell bottoms, minsan straight cut, minsan pitis....etc.etc......

minsan dual power transformers, minsan naman torroids.....

having a repair shop in the 90's afforded me a look inside many of these japanese amps, specially those coming from saudi and those brought in by japayuki's...... ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline sonofgtg

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2817 on: Nov 19, 2009 at 11:14 PM »
hi mga sir, ok po ba yung reciver na akai 4300?for ps3 and dvd videoke sana..malakas na kaya output nito? eto po yung link:http://www.akai.com/product_detail.asp?id=3&id2=17&id3=54  thank you..
PSN ID: sonofgtg

Offline monreq

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • DVD Guru
  • Only a deaf can't distinguish good from bad audio.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2818 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 09:36 AM »
edrel, please tell me kung gustong i dispose nung nakabile...... ;D
Bro may alam ako  Pioneer SA 8800 if you like P6,000.00.  Taga Novaliches ang seller.  Let me know para samahan kita. Pina reserve ko yan kasi parang gusto ko swap iyong Yamaha CA 1000 ko.  Kso pinag iisipan ko pa kung swap or benta ko ng 6,500 Yamaha. Text me 09154203626 kung gusto mo magpunta. Sunday ako available. :)
"LEARNING is a NEVER ENDING process.  Only a FOOL will say he already knows everything."

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2819 on: Nov 20, 2009 at 10:30 AM »
Taga Novaliches ang seller.

sya ba si aboy? meron kasing pinsan ang wife ko na taga roon at nagba buy and sell ng audio gears....