Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991063 times)

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #720 on: Jun 18, 2004 at 04:58 PM »
sir sandawa you have pm.

Offline akyatbundok

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #721 on: Jun 18, 2004 at 05:28 PM »
You guys seem to be developing a series of love affairs with amp hardware.  One after the other.  ;D   

that made me think: do i love my amp? Nahhhhh maybe not, or maybe i do? hmmmmm... hehehe i think we can enjoy this hobby many ways --- by collecting stuff and enjoying each gear's uniqueness whichever & whenever in the mood, by searching for the ultimate setup thru a series of replacements/upgrades, or by choosing once and then enjoying them for a long time.... either way we do it because its fun.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2004 at 05:47 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #722 on: Jun 18, 2004 at 06:07 PM »
sir sandawa you have pm.

Sorry, I was out with Superman, he's here in Davao, but I've replied to your PM.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #723 on: Jun 18, 2004 at 06:12 PM »
Just been to a Japanese warehouse/junkyard here in Davao and found out radical changes in their prices to retailers for "as is" AV units. Here it goes:

1. Amps: black - P12.50/watt maximum of P4,000; silver - P10/watt maximum of P3,000 per unit
2. CD Players: big - P500 to P600; medium - P350 to P400
3. Tape decks: big - P1,000-1,100; medium - P800 to P900
4. TV: 28 to 31 inches - P2,500 to P2,800; 32 to 34 inches - P2,900 to P3,500 (obviously the high figures here apply to widescreen units)

If I only have enough time, I'll open a channel so I could send units to you based on these prices. If you guys could incorporate an audio club or a formal group with dedicated one or two staff, maybe we can explore a "cooperative" type trading channel for the benefit of members and give those pier retailers competition. Also you could organize weeked auditions for new gears from high-end dealers there, get hefty discounts too, through such audio club.

wow great prices over there...... if only the pier stores would sell at that price i would probably have more stuff to play with...... maybe CDP / amp tweaking will become thriving industry....... i guess our prices are higher because of the higher demand..... i wouldn't mind spending P500 on a CDP and risk an opamp upgrade.

was hoping someone would open the channel on the Manila side, maybe someone who already has an audio store, but i guess doing so would kill their brand new products so its not practical for them..... maybe someone who already has a surplus store?
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2004 at 06:15 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #724 on: Jun 19, 2004 at 10:08 AM »
You guys seem to be developing a series of love affairs with amp hardware.  One after the other.  ;D   

Sir AV, these "inexpensive (surplus)" amps (i wouldn't say "cheap" dahil derogatory) offer a practical and exciting option especially for low-budget guys like me. to paraphrase forrest gump: it's like a box of chocolate, thus, the element of surprise exists. also, i'm sure you remember good old Wynn's Audio in Kamuning (near Phoenix Records, those good old days!) back in the '80s where a 100-watt amp would cost P5k. that amount was about 3X the starting pay for a fresh graduate back then (i started low kasi medyo bobo, maraming bagsak). now that amount, also quoted even for amps with higher power rating, is only a third of a fresh graduate's starting pay.

you're right in our previous post exchanges . i asked the traders here in Davao and most of these units came from recycling plants in Japan, as "junks." the good ones come from garage/community/auction fairs. the repairable ones or those with minor problems are shipped to nearby low-income countries so poor audio enthusiasts like me could have a chance to buy premium models (like my Alpha 907) that never reached our shores during their prime. if i were doing a term paper, or even a thesis, i'd work good on this phenomenon. ang dali nito. i'm quite excited over this development, i'm sure you're also amused.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #725 on: Jun 19, 2004 at 01:12 PM »
Yup I recall Wynns.  I also recall Sam's Audio at Magallanes where I got my used Sansui AU-D11.

It's always fun engaging in a collecting hobby.  Coins, stamps, jewels, toys, guns, miniature models of anything, cars, houses, wives...oops  ;D  Collecting not only can yield gems once in a while, but is a real hands-on learning process of what went behind it and its history. 

Far be it for me or anyone to stop you from doing what gives you fun, I just hope you don't get sidetracked from the real goal of the Hi-Fi playback pursuit and the philosphy behind it.  It's the RECORDING we want to listen to.  Not the player, amp, speaker or the room.   ;D 

Ofcourse those gears allow you to listen to the recording. The more transparent, accurate and neutral the gears,  the better to reveal what the recording has, for good or for worse.   But  they are the MEANS, not the end. 

I know those surplus amps at their prices can give value, something that shouldn't be missed.   And at those prices, the urge to collect and compare can be compelling.  I just hope once you find the amp that really gives the best value for you, that's it.  Otherwise, when and where will it end?.  There will always be better amps at the pier next month or next year, right?    Or will you be in a perpetual cycle of buy and dispose, buy and dispose?  Or just fill those shelves with so many gears so you can choose depending on your mood?  And in the proccess, you could miss out on the many wonderfully recorded stuff for which life is simply too short to listen and savor.  :(   But if you can do both, well and good.  Just my thoughts.
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2004 at 01:55 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #726 on: Jun 19, 2004 at 02:15 PM »
true. and i would also advise the others to upgrade their software. there are a lot of audiophile-quality materials out there that could be bought at reasonable prices. chesky, linn, clarity, sheffield, mobile fidelity, reference, absolute sound, sony, etc. but you see, even getting more technical, such as equipment tweaking, is towards achieving the ultimate sound, or a previously unheard sound, we want to achieve and discover.

Sir AV, i guess we were luckier we had built a good collection of audiophile-grade recordings, incl. vinyls that were easily available then, but hard to find now. remember Danny Samonte's (Sam's Audio) record sale on Pasay Road in early '80s? i was a fresh graduate back then, but i was able to buy at least a hundred vinyls from that little shop. i shifted a bit to CDs, however, after a guy at the Linn shop on Union Square in SF in mid-90s demonstrated that digital CD technology has improved a lot since the early '80s.

my interest in audio was on-and-off and i once thought i had settled on the best i could afford. however, i don't think my desire to upgrade would ever stop. call it human frailty, but i'd say some others would feel the same. the gear is nothing without the music and only good amps and speakers could do justice to the lush orchestration of Mahler's 5th and the grandeur of Beethoven's 9th. your posts make this forum a lot more interesting. thanks for your comments.

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #727 on: Jun 19, 2004 at 09:54 PM »
Speaking of Wynns, ang natatandaan ko lang  is yung cd rental nila. Puro rental lang ako tapos dub to tape. Duon narin ako nakabili ng cd player and amp ko dati. :)

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #728 on: Jun 20, 2004 at 07:59 AM »
After Wynn's and Sam's Audio, nawala ang used amp market. Lahat mahal na, lalo na yung high-end 2nd-hand amps ni Manny Lim sa Audiolab Timog. At least ngayon bumalik yung used amps, more powerful at even lower prices. I dubbed a lot of their CDs too, tapos biglang nagsara dahil sa dami raw ng utang.

Speaking of Wynns, ang natatandaan ko lang  is yung cd rental nila. Puro rental lang ako tapos dub to tape. Duon narin ako nakabili ng cd player and amp ko dati. :)

Offline number1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #729 on: Jun 20, 2004 at 10:24 PM »
http://www55.tok2.com/home/ja1mdn/index.htm

Take a look at the way the Japanese are hot-rodding their amps. Tons of pictures of the innards of various amps.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #730 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 12:37 PM »
Far be it for me or anyone to stop you from doing what gives you fun, I just hope you don't get sidetracked from the real goal of the Hi-Fi playback pursuit and the philosphy behind it.  It's the RECORDING we want to listen to.  Not the player, amp, speaker or the room.   ;D 
. . . .

Ofcourse those gears allow you to listen to the recording. The more transparent, accurate and neutral the gears,  the better to reveal what the recording has, for good or for worse.   But  they are the MEANS, not the end. 
. . . .

i totally agree with you sir av_phile1...... i understand when you see someone accumulate hardware like i do, one gets curious if the guy ever spends anything on Music :-\ ... i'm happy to report that its the music that keeps me from buying more gear; if i weren't buying CD's i probably would have bought more hardware than i have space to keep them :-X ... i remember having the urge to get at least 4 more different models out of curiosity -- a kenwood, victor, sansui & denon :o ... but a trip to my "suki" CD store always puts a stop to that. ;D ;D ;D ;D

i once contemplated opening a thread on "What do you do to contain your SARS?"...... and my first contribution would have been to get the price of the gear you like, and use half that amount to buy CD's..... the enjoyment you will get from listening to 5 new CD's using your old gear will be much greater than listening to the same old CD's on newly acquired gear..... (most of the time).

but if i see a higher model than the ones i have now, i would still upgrade to it and dispose old one.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2004 at 12:55 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #731 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 12:54 PM »
http://www55.tok2.com/home/ja1mdn/index.htm

Take a look at the way the Japanese are hot-rodding their amps. Tons of pictures of the innards of various amps.

Impressive!!!!

naabutan mo yan sir??? ako hindi na!

hehehe. fishhhh tayo dre!

anyhow, the discussions of the 2 great icons have really enlightened me, and as a newbie in this hobby, i have come to realize that i still have a lot ot learn, and mollahs to spend to get even near your experiences. i hope i aged just like you do sirs, in this audio world i am attempting to be in.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #732 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 01:00 PM »
Akyat,

What do you do to contain your SARS?"......  hmmm don't get near Kimpao.. heheheh

fish fish. ;D ;D

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #733 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 02:06 PM »
given na yan pre, kayong dalawa ni kimpao ang carrier ng SARS virus sa lunch box ng chorizo hehehehe.

balita ko may pang-budget ka na naman magpalit?  high-risk na talaga hehehe fish & chicken! ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2004 at 02:11 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #734 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 02:12 PM »
Akyat,

What do you do to contain your SARS?"......  hmmm don't get near Kimpao.. heheheh

fish fish. ;D ;D

given na yan pre, kayong dalawa ni kimpao ang carrier ng SARS virus sa lunch box ng chorizo hehehehe.

Kayo talaga, baka mamaya niyan i-ban na ako sa mga sessions. :'( >:D ;D >:D ;D

Offline slayer

• Collector
  • Spread the Irie
  • Liked:
« Reply #735 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 02:24 PM »
At hawahan nanaman ng SARS sa sabado...
Scratch my TT!!

Offline blued

• Collector
  • balik loob,...
  • Liked:
« Reply #736 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 02:45 PM »
Ngayon lang ulit ako nagpost dito sa Pinoy DVD after 2 years na pasilisilip lang... grabe very informative talaga,.. dito ako natutong magset-up ng HT,.. mmmm ngayon naman mukhang mapapaset-up ako ng pang- music,... salamat sa iyo "akyatbundok" at pinagbalik loob mo ako ehehe, puro trabaho kasi inaatupag ko, di ko na napapansin HT ko. ;D

sa ngayon review muna ako ng magiging amp ko, grabe 2 days kong binasa ang post nyo dito, namula na nga mata ko eh. ;D

ang ganda ng link na yun ha, magagamit natin ang info doon pag nakabili ako ng surplus amp.. ang lupit,.. pinalitan yung mga capacitors, trim pots, relays at lininis ng sabon yung front panel at knobs. Iba talaga kapag taga Pinoy DVD ka, tatalino ka sa electronics..  ;D ;D ;D

more power sa inyong lahat,...

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #737 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 02:53 PM »
At hawahan nanaman ng SARS sa sabado...

shootout ba sa saturday?
money is best spent

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #738 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 03:13 PM »
shootout ba sa saturday?

onga no, sabado na pala ang scheduled push-pull shootout..... kaso ready na kaya ang protagonists?  nagpalit bigla ng amp yung isang contender sa shootout, mukhang di papatalo at kukuha ng lalong matinding manok!

sa surplus amp shootout naman, medyo nasa tweaking stage din yung dalawang contenders, problem lang yun amp doctor namin matagal yata ang response ngayon kaya tuloy hindi pa ready.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2004 at 03:14 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #739 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 03:24 PM »
san naman kaya to gaganapin? sa akyat's top ba  ;D

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #740 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 05:27 PM »
sama ako dyan ;D

Offline isak0411

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #741 on: Jun 21, 2004 at 06:20 PM »
san naman kaya to gaganapin? sa akyat's top ba  ;D

akyat's ba kamo? sama ako dyan (mahimas uli yon mesa) >:D

Offline number1

• Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #742 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 09:54 AM »
Anyone using modern banana plugs to connect to their surplus amps? I noticed they can't seem to fit right into the hole of the speaker terminal of the surplus amp. The hole in modern amps are 4 mm wide while the hole in the surplus amp was like 1.5 to 2 mm only.
Any remedies without having to look for another set of banana plugs? 

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #743 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 11:40 AM »
Dyan pumapasok ang crimp-on pins, usually bended shape, available from Monster Cable or even Quantum and other brands. Same quality (ang problema sa MC malambot ang gold niya kaya madaling mabali) mas maliit sa bananas, pero gold-plated pa rin at mas mura - about half the price of solid bananas. Actually, mas flexible ang crimp-ons compared with bananas and spades dahil puwede rin siya sa spring-type terminals.

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #744 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 11:51 AM »

onga no, sabado na pala ang scheduled push-pull shootout..... kaso ready na kaya ang protagonists?  nagpalit bigla ng amp yung isang contender sa shootout, mukhang di papatalo at kukuha ng lalong matinding manok!

sa sat? aba, sama ako dyan! san ba venue? ano kayang klaseng manok dadalhin ni hans? mas matindi pa ata kaysa texas e! ;D :o

sa surplus amp shootout naman, medyo nasa tweaking stage din yung dalawang contenders, problem lang yun amp doctor namin matagal yata ang response ngayon kaya tuloy hindi pa ready.

korek ka dyan sir! kung pwede lng araw araw na akong nagfofollow up e. mis ko na sya.... hehehe. pro balita ko gawa na daw yong k DOHbert. >:D
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2004 at 11:52 AM by wanderlust »

Offline number1

• Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #745 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 12:38 PM »
Dyan pumapasok ang crimp-on pins, usually bended shape, available from Monster Cable or even Quantum and other brands. Same quality (ang problema sa MC malambot ang gold niya kaya madaling mabali) mas maliit sa bananas, pero gold-plated pa rin at mas mura - about half the price of solid bananas. Actually, mas flexible ang crimp-ons compared with bananas and spades dahil puwede rin siya sa spring-type terminals.

is there a crimp-on pin that is compatible with a banana plug? As in, I could just insert the crimp pin on a banana plug. So i dont need to remove the banana plug and insert the crimp on pin whenever I need to use a surplus amp.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #746 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 12:44 PM »
dapat may butas sa tabi yung banana plugs mo. all solid gold-plated banana plugs have a hole on the side for crimp-ons or directly, for the bare wire. there are new small bananas made in China and Japan na may butas din pero yung mga locally made na mura (yung kailangan ka pang mag-solder), walang butas yan, so hindi puwede ang crimp-ons.

Offline number1

• Collector
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Liked:
« Reply #747 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 12:51 PM »
dapat may butas sa tabi yung banana plugs mo. all solid gold-plated banana plugs have a hole on the side for crimp-ons or directly, for the bare wire. there are new small bananas made in China and Japan na may butas din pero yung mga locally made na mura (yung kailangan ka pang mag-solder), walang butas yan, so hindi puwede ang crimp-ons.

sir actually my banana plugs has three holes. One is where the speaker wire is inserted and secured by way of a screw type clamp. The other one is meant for other banana plugs to be inserted on top, (for bi-wiring). The last one, i dont know its purpose, but from here you can see the bare wire.
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2004 at 12:59 PM by number1 »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #748 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 03:16 PM »
tama yan sir, ganyan ang audiophile-grade banana. very flexible, kayang sumaksak kahit saan!

Offline BGA VI

• Collector
  • surplus addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #749 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 03:59 PM »
sir akyat,

sama ko sa surplus shootout  ;D ;D

sana matuloy na.  ;D ;D

sir wanderlust, ok na ba yung sa yo.?  :)