Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991059 times)

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #750 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 04:33 PM »
sir akyat,

sama ko sa surplus shootout  ;D ;D

sana matuloy na.  ;D ;D

sir wanderlust, ok na ba yung sa yo.?  :)

alin yong sakin? yong tot....... ko ba? hehehe.

d pa nga e, slowly but surely? daw labanan sa pag gawa e. pang week-ends lang kasi sya pwede for amps.

mukhang tumitindi ang laban ah, surplus amp shootout!!!

Offline BGA VI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • surplus addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #751 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 04:55 PM »
sir wanderlust, gusto ko sana kuha ng tono preamp kaya lang wala budget. ;D ;D >:D

kelan ba yung push pull shootout?

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #752 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 05:05 PM »
sir wanderlust, gusto ko sana kuha ng tono preamp kaya lang wala budget. ;D ;D >:D

kelan ba yung push pull shootout?

ako din e, napabili din kasi ng speaker kaya out of budget. unstoppable pa nman ang SARS!

sa sat na ata, pro mukhang d pa sure, kasi wala na yong amp ni hans!!!! confirm mo kay roger sir.

Offline BGA VI

• Collector
  • surplus addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #753 on: Jun 22, 2004 at 05:12 PM »
ok THankS !!! ;D

Offline ryan750

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • Dai-1chi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #754 on: Jun 24, 2004 at 06:26 PM »
mga sir,

Reccomend naman kayo saken ng stereo surplus amp mga 100 w/ch up. gagamitin ko sa subwoofer na 15" targa dual terminal 500w. Ano ba ang brabd na maganda sa bass ung malambot.

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #755 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 11:06 AM »
for those who have bought a couple of surplus amps already, i would recommend that the next step be to buy a good preamp, preferably WS tono. after some disappointments, i finally got my first tono last wednesday from s2kov who shipped it to davao without hassle (fund transfer online was also instantaneous).

i separated the pre and power sections of my Alpha 907 and Accuphase, hooked it, did the A/B same-volume tests, "no epek" on sounds for both equipment! i prefer the built- in preamps of Alpaha and Accuphase which were a bit robust on the middle and a tad cleaner on the lows. but when tono was linked to my surplus amps, Yamaha CA-1000III and Kenwood KR-7400, and on the Sansui 907F (by loop dahil walang amp in), hanep ang lumabas. parang yung MF-A120 ko, in terms of clarity, na na-doble or triple ang power. pati mga lumang speakers ko naging pogi.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #756 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 11:18 AM »
congrats, bro. sandawa!...listening session tayo sa july ha! i'll be back to surpise supergirl...most probably july 20 or 21 ang dating ko...may kaunting gimik at drama ang dating ko eh, will take the 1st flight but will go to their place during dinner...hehehe!...so in between (that is kung makakatiis ako), we can have a session of sorts...will bring some of my reference CDs...bili pa ko ng extra surplus CDP...samahan mo ako ha...naka-hook ba sa epos??? sarap niyan!...at siyempre, ang mga ginintuang TTs natin ha, hehehehe! 8) god bless! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #757 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 11:35 AM »
sige sir. dami mong pera ah. P7K ang round-trip manila-davao ngayon. sayang, walang TT input ang tono. pero malupit sir. it has two tiny phalluses standing upright!

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #758 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 11:56 AM »
i agree...that's why i bought kaagad when it was launched...di naman sir, may inaayos ding business venture eh...makakatipid din eventually...tsaka hanap bahay na diyan...thanks bro! 8)
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #759 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 12:02 PM »
for those who have bought a couple of surplus amps already, i would recommend that the next step be to buy a good preamp, preferably WS tono. after some disappointments, i finally got my first tono last wednesday from s2kov who shipped it to davao without hassle (fund transfer online was also instantaneous).

i separated the pre and power sections of my Alpha 907 and Accuphase, hooked it, did the A/B same-volume tests, "no epek" on sounds for both equipment! i prefer the built- in preamps of Alpaha and Accuphase which were a bit robust on the middle and a tad cleaner on the lows. but when tono was linked to my surplus amps, Yamaha CA-1000III and Kenwood KR-7400, and on the Sansui 907F (by loop dahil walang amp in), hanep ang lumabas. parang yung MF-A120 ko, in terms of clarity, na na-doble or triple ang power. pati mga lumang speakers ko naging pogi.

That's because the tono preamp already has sufficient gain in the output stages.  If I recall right from the wiredstate site, it has a gain of 12, making a 1volt input come out 12 volts at full volume to drive a low powered speaker by itself.     Line level input expects at the most a 2v input.  Some are 1.2V to drive the amp at full rated power.   You are effectively overdriving the integrated's line level input if you didn't use their main-in jacks.   Using the TONO at the line level stage, you have an apparent doubling of power because your integrateds become loud even in the 8 or 9 0'clock volume position.  And anything louder is always perceived as something better.  But don't let this prevent you from enjoying your new toy.  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2004 at 12:20 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #760 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 12:20 PM »

If I only have enough time, I'll open a channel so I could send units to you based on these prices. If you guys could incorporate an audio club or a formal group with dedicated one or two staff, maybe we can explore a "cooperative" type trading channel for the benefit of members and give those pier retailers competition. Also you could organize weeked auditions for new gears from high-end dealers there, get hefty discounts too, through such audio club.

good idea, sandawa... i could organize a cooperative with juridical personality in accordance with the Cooperative Code of the Philippines... that is if you guys would want to formaly organize an audio club with at least 15 memberships.

;D
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2004 at 12:46 PM by audioslave »

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #761 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 12:25 PM »

hmmmm, this is quite an intresting piece. i asm about to get a tono pre-amp myslf and is planning to hook it to a surplus luxman. but since the lux is still with the doctor, i might temporarily be partnering it up with a yamy avr.

will post my observations on this by next week.

thnx sir sandawa for this, you just made my plan a full blown convection (SARS as commonly known). ;D

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #762 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 12:26 PM »

good idea, sandawa... i could organize a cooperative with juridical personality in accordance with the Cooperative Code of the Philippines... that is if you guys would want to formaly organize an audio club with at least 15 memberships. magandang idea to, we can even solicit funds and contributions from foreign sources.

;D

sir you got pm.

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #763 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 12:37 PM »
He he. I have been enjoying very good music with my luxman integrated  and ws tono. Ang ganda ng combination. Sound is really full, buong buo and ang kalansing parang totoo. Sorry guys, I cant used audiophile terms, mahina tayo dyan, but I like the sound of the combination. I tried WS tono also with NAD C320 bee, ang galing din. Im using hard to drive speakers , audience 42 and spendor S3/5. Maybe if I add a subwoofer, mas gaganda pa.

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #764 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 12:53 PM »
He he. I have been enjoying very good music with my luxman integrated  and ws tono. Ang ganda ng combination. Sound is really full, buong buo and ang kalansing parang totoo. Sorry guys, I cant used audiophile terms, mahina tayo dyan, but I like the sound of the combination. I tried WS tono also with NAD C320 bee, ang galing din. Im using hard to drive speakers , audience 42 and spendor S3/5. Maybe if I add a subwoofer, mas gaganda pa.

awww.........   parang gusto ko nang iuwi yong tono...........  sus.............  tagal ng bukas.......... sir tinanium solve ba tlaga luxman and tono, baka d nako makatulog nito ah.

btw sir did you recieve my pm regarding the chnge of the spkr terminals of the lux to that which can accomodate a banana plug connector.

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #765 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 01:01 PM »
Hi wanderlust,

Ive been waiting for the PM coz I want to change the speaker terminals. Hope you can Pm again. Ganda talaga combination especially if your luxman has "main in" for the tono, tapos maganda CD player, he he, Im only using sony 337ESD CDP.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #766 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 01:05 PM »

good idea, sandawa... i could organize a cooperative with juridical personality in accordance with the Cooperative Code of the Philippines... that is if you guys would want to formaly organize an audio club with at least 15 memberships.

;D

atty. audioslave...matindi ka talaga...good idea!...tamang tama, ako ang barter-trader dahil ako ang madalas magbiyahe, hehe!...so if ever we push thru with this, how do we go about it??? maganda yan kasi may excuse na tayo to audition gars, kasi cooperative na eh...hehehe! 8)

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #767 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 01:44 PM »
Hi wanderlust,

Ive been waiting for the PM coz I want to change the speaker terminals. Hope you can Pm again. Ganda talaga combination especially if your luxman has "main in" for the tono, tapos maganda CD player, he he, Im only using sony 337ESD CDP.

i have resent you the pm....

my lux has..... SWERTE!!!

but im only using now a technics cdp. will upgrade soon definitely.

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #768 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 01:46 PM »

atty. audioslave...matindi ka talaga...good idea!...tamang tama, ako ang barter-trader dahil ako ang madalas magbiyahe, hehe!...so if ever we push thru with this, how do we go about it??? maganda yan kasi may excuse na tayo to audition gars, kasi cooperative na eh...hehehe! 8)

sent you pm sir, regarding this matter.

Offline Superman

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #769 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 02:36 PM »

sent you pm sir, regarding this matter.

got your PM, thanks! 8)

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #770 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 02:59 PM »
That's because the tono preamp already has sufficient gain in the output stages.  If I recall right from the wiredstate site, it has a gain of 12, making a 1volt input come out 12 volts at full volume to drive a low powered speaker by itself.     Line level input expects at the most a 2v input.  Some are 1.2V to drive the amp at full rated power.   You are effectively overdriving the integrated's line level input if you didn't use their main-in jacks.   Using the TONO at the line level stage, you have an apparent doubling of power because your integrateds become loud even in the 8 or 9 0'clock volume position.  And anything louder is always perceived as something better.  But don't let this prevent you from enjoying your new toy.  ;D

good point AV. but it in my case, as i mentioned, the comparisons were at same-volume levels, by adjusting the variable and fixed outputs of the CDP. that's the beauty of CDPs with two or three sets of analog outputs. that should eliminate gains' deception, as you warned, no overdriving. clarity, in reference to my Musical Fidelity amp, was not present on my other Jap surplus amps while the doubling and tripling of power, as perceived, is due to the fact that my MF only has 40wpc while the Jap integrated amps i'm coupling with tono have over 100wpc rating.

my conclusion? tono may not be as good as the pre-amps of my Accuphase 302 and Alpha 907, but it's better than built-in pre-amps of my other units. i'm almost sure that would apply to others too. it'll be under observation for two weeks. if it still sounds good, i'm planning to honor it by buying a real high-power amp, could be an Altec Lansing 9444B (300wpc -professional series), to get an auditorium feel in my room.

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #771 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 03:09 PM »

audioslave...matindi ka talaga...good idea!...tamang tama, ako ang barter-trader dahil ako ang madalas magbiyahe, hehe!...so if ever we push thru with this, how do we go about it??? maganda yan kasi may excuse na tayo to audition gars, kasi cooperative na eh...hehehe! 8)

upuan natin to minsan and think it out whether we'll put up a consumer cooperative or a credit union coop or multi-purpose coop. it will all depend on our primary objectives as audio enthusiasts.

;D

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #772 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 03:49 PM »

upuan natin to minsan and think it out whether we'll put up a consumer cooperative or a credit union coop or multi-purpose coop. it will all depend on our primary objectives as audio enthusiasts.

;D

2nd the motion sir!

Offline kid

• DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #773 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 03:51 PM »
So Ordered.....  ;D

join din ko dito (as incorporator lang)

Offline BGA VI

• Collector
  • surplus addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #774 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 04:02 PM »
sir wanderlust ,

congrats sa tono pre amp !!! ;D

kinuha mo ba yung kay sir kimpao ? :'( :'( ;D

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #775 on: Jun 25, 2004 at 05:25 PM »
sir wanderlust ,

congrats sa tono pre amp !!! ;D

kinuha mo ba yung kay sir kimpao ? :'( :'( ;D

shhhhhh..... wag kang maingay, d pa, plano pa lng.

nga pala bakit ko cnasabi syo to, d ba kalaban ka, ahehehe.

fishhhh tayo sir ha...........   

Offline kid

• DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #776 on: Jun 29, 2004 at 09:27 AM »
happy face na yan si wanderlust.  ;)

may bagong luma syang toy  ;D

pahiram naman jan  :D

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #777 on: Jun 29, 2004 at 07:08 PM »
Finally got my sansui yesterday after a looong wait. Still testing it with my preamp. I think its ready for the surplus amp shootout :)

Offline BGA VI

• Collector
  • surplus addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #778 on: Jun 29, 2004 at 08:39 PM »
sir dohbert,

ok na si sir wanderlust na lang antay natin.  ;D ;D

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #779 on: Jun 30, 2004 at 11:09 AM »
happy face na yan si wanderlust.  ;)

may bagong luma syang toy  ;D

pahiram naman jan  :D

oo naman! daanan mo minsan sa bahay habang wala pa yong lux ko.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D