Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991069 times)

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #840 on: Jul 21, 2004 at 07:35 PM »
ang balita ko from andrew sevilla of phasetron is that sansui used to be a manufacturer of power supplies, kaya yun ang specialty nila at nag carry over sa amplifier products ang expertise nila dun.....

Sansui used to be a power transformer manufacturer after WWII, kaya talagang nandoon ang galing nila. If you open your Sansuis, especially the Alpha series, the toroidals have the "vintage" description on them. That's because the company took power supply design seriously, could be patented, a la Krell. Alpha 907 amps have weights ranging from 28 kgs to 35 kgs, I think, approximating the heft of Krell's low to middle models. I opened my Sansui Alpha 907 and Accuphase E302 just last week and the power amp designs of the two were very similar to Krell's. Accuphase's power caps, however, are really big - three times those of Sansui's although my Alpha 907 has four, dalawa lang ang Accuphase. Sabi ko nga kay Sir Akyat sa PM, yung sa Accuphase parang specialized audio but industrial grade - mukhang mahirap maghanap dito sa Pinas para ma-repair ang unit niya. Biro lang, Sir!

Sansui also started with tube amps, like other audio old-timers, but shifted to SS. Their chief designer in the '70s was fascinated with the old Sansui tube sound, so, he tried to alter their amps' circuitries starting with the first 907 in mid '70s to mimic the sound of the tube amp (sayang meron dito sa Davao na original AU-907, P3K lang last month, hindi ko pa binili agad, naunahan na naman ako.) This time, it's high-powered (unlike the old Sansui tube power amps) and without the hum even at high volume (which is a problem for many tube power amps). This is the same path taken by Dan D' Agostino of Krell and Bob Carver of Sunfire (formerly of Carver Corp.). Carver's expensive Silver Seven amp is tube but SS-sounding amp, which some said is even sonically better than the famous (or infamous) Ongaku valve amps that retail from $100,000 t0 $300,000 per unit.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2004 at 11:12 PM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline blued

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • balik loob,...
  • Liked:
« Reply #841 on: Jul 22, 2004 at 10:52 AM »
wow ;D what a story, ang ganda... thanks sa info mga Sir.

Offline stardust

• Apprentice
  • Audiophile Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #842 on: Jul 22, 2004 at 12:14 PM »
Good AM mga guys

I have just hooked up my surplus Pioneer A400X (from pier) with my Chario Speaker and it seems that it match with this speaker, a well balance sound stage for me compare when I'm using my Onkyo TX SR600 but it need some time to warm up about 30 minutes then okay na. For more improvement  balak kong palitan yung power cord niya and also need to buy new speaker cable since yung kanyang binding post terminal don'accept the banana type.

BTW my set up is here in Macau China, pinadala lang ng brother ko itong amplifier dito sometime in Jan 2004 but the unit was used with Wharfedale Crystal 10. According to him this amplifier produced the purest sound since don't have treble and bass control.

Pioneer A400X
Production date 1985 to 1990

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #843 on: Jul 22, 2004 at 02:45 PM »
Good AM mga guys

I have just hooked up my surplus Pioneer A400X (from pier) with my Chario Speaker and it seems that it match with this speaker, a well balance sound stage for me compare when I'm using my Onkyo TX SR600 but it need some time to warm up about 30 minutes then okay na. For more improvement  balak kong palitan yung power cord niya and also need to buy new speaker cable since yung kanyang binding post terminal don'accept the banana type.

BTW my set up is here in Macau China, pinadala lang ng brother ko itong amplifier dito sometime in Jan 2004 but the unit was used with Wharfedale Crystal 10. According to him this amplifier produced the purest sound since don't have treble and bass control.

Pioneer A400X

amazing! a pier bought amplifier has now found its way up ther in china! i never even thought of it. just proves one thing now, surplus amps are trully, world class. hehehe. ;D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #844 on: Jul 22, 2004 at 03:11 PM »

Accuphase's power caps, however, are really big - three times those of Sansui's although my Alpha 907 has four, dalawa lang ang Accuphase. Sabi ko nga kay Sir Akyat sa PM, yung sa Accuphase parang specialized audio but industrial grade - mukhang mahirap maghanap dito sa Pinas para ma-repair ang unit niya. Biro lang, Sir!

Smaller filter caps have faster charging times than bigger ones - the better to respond to peak current requirements in dynamic musical signals.  So theoretically, four paralled 4,700uF is better than two 10,000uf caps.  Sansui must have implemented this to some advantage.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #845 on: Jul 22, 2004 at 04:01 PM »
could be, but i guess the use of power caps is also dependent on the characteristics of the toroidals and the design of the power amp's circuitry. but yes, Sansui's engineers surely have good reason for their setup.

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #846 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 01:31 PM »
no harms done sir.....  :)

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #847 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 01:47 PM »

Pioneer A400X

meron palang Pioneer A-400X dyan sa pier?

guys, A-400 is an award-winning british-designed int-amp

sabihan naman nyo ko kung may makita kayong A-400 sa pier.

thanks

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #848 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 02:50 PM »
di na ba matutuloy ang surplus shootout? :(

sana may isama na bagong integ amp para macompare ang best of the old vs new entry level amps  :)
money is best spent

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #849 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 02:59 PM »
OK yang proposal mo iceman...

pero dapat sa output watt ng amp ang bracketing o pairing sa shoot out.

i would gladly bring my NAD C352 @ 80wpc if you guys can find an int-amp with the same wattage. kahit older model ang amp if it can produce a higher output power mas lamang pa rin yon  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:00 PM by audioslave »

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #850 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:07 PM »
OK yang proposal mo iceman...

pero dapat sa output watt ng amp ang bracketing o pairing sa shoot out.

i would gladly bring my NAD C352 @ 80wpc if you guys can find an int-amp with the same wattage. kahit older model ang amp if it can produce a higher output power mas lamang pa rin yon  ;D

...regarding bracketing, i dont think that's necessary... habol naman natin to compare how they sound (regardless of wattage) para buyers can decide where they will spend their money di ba? i mean what's the use of finding out that a certain hard to find 80watt surplus amp sounds better than a NAD C320bee kung hindi naman makakabili nun?

amp to amp lang, wala na bracketing... suggestion ko lang yun, syempre call din yun ng magshoo-shootout kasi miron lang naman ako eh ;D
money is best spent

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #851 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:09 PM »
i dont think the surplus amp shoot-out will push through, almost all players ahve back out already, i myself did, with my luxman for that matter, but i however have a sansui aud907x decade, prevoiusly owned by dohbert.

sir audioslave,

most surplus amps we have are above the 100wpc  category, i think at below 100wpc you will have very few if not none at all competitors, i however recall BGA's having 2 amps (one is HK i think) having below the 100wpc output.

but i do subscribe to this proposal of sir vince.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #852 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:21 PM »
meron palang Pioneer A-400X dyan sa pier?
guys, A-400 is an award-winning british-designed int-amp
sabihan naman nyo ko kung may makita kayong A-400 sa pier.
thanks

meron din dito sa davao surplus Pioneer A-400X -  P3K to P4K - and yes it's a good amp as per British mags' reviews pero mababa ang wattage (excellent in its class, but not comparable with high-waattage amps that also got excellent reviews) kaya medyo hindi mabili dito. outside of those reviews, if you look at its built though, front and back plates, you'll know it's a well-built amp.

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #853 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:28 PM »
A-400X is different from the A-400. the latter model is designed in UK while the former is the japanese version which is the later model but miserably failed to surpass the accolades given to the A-400.

;D
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:29 PM by audioslave »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #854 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:35 PM »
Hifi Choice April 1994 gave A-400X a "Best Buy" rating for amps with prices ranging from 300 to 600 pounds. i still think it's a mid-level unit considering Sansui Alpha 707 was selling in UK at that time at roughly 1,600 pounds.
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2004 at 11:25 PM by sandawa »

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #855 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:38 PM »

most surplus amps we have are above the 100wpc  category, i think at below 100wpc you will have very few if not none at all competitors, i however recall BGA's having 2 amps (one is HK i think) having below the 100wpc output.

OK lang yan... NAD amps are known to conservatively rate their amps and even if their amp's power output is just pegged at 80wpc, it is a high current output approximating or even surpassing other amps' conventional rating of 120wpc.

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #856 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:38 PM »
psst wanderlust, nasa iyo na pala yan decade ni dohbert..... hehe congrats ha.

hey guys, i can host the surplus amp shootout pero let's limit the protagonists to around 4 different brands so we can still listen to a 5th amp, preferably a current model... may i nominate:

1) audioslave's NAD C352
2) bga's Yamaha AX-1200
3) wanderlust's Sansui AU-D907 Decade
4) seacrstmd's Kenwood L-03
5) bga's HK or Denon PMA-780D, or nels76's Sony TA-F333ESX

the highest surplus models in terms of original price are nos. 2-4.... i understand iceman's concern about availability, what's the use of having a shootout if we can't buy the ones we like anyway?  if i may add, surplus units of the same model have different mileage so even if you find a similar model you still have to deal with its condition, does it sound like its supposed to?  i guess the benefit would be: if anybody would like to buy/sell one of the candidates in case the owner is hit by SARS hehe.  ;D >:D :'(
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:44 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #857 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:42 PM »
akyat, dapat may Rotel din.

RA-02, RA-1062 or any Rotel int-amp with equivalent output power.

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #858 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:44 PM »
sir yung hafler nalang! :D

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #859 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:48 PM »
'torney, kung mag-semifinals muna kaya?

Rotel vs. NAD ---- current production models
Hafler vs. ?? ---- pre-owned models
Surplus amps ---- surplus semi-finals

.......and then grand finals.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:52 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #860 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:52 PM »

OK lang yan... NAD amps are known to conservatively rate their amps and even if their amp's power output is just pegged at 80wpc, it is a high current output approximating or even surpassing other amps' conventional rating of 120wpc.

that will be great, by it the nad can easily compete with most surplus amps.

psst wanderlust, nasa iyo na pala yan decade ni dohbert..... hehe congrats ha.

thnx  ;D

hey guys, i can host the surplus amp shootout pero let's limit the protagonists to around 4 different brands so we can still listen to a 5th amp, preferably a current model... may i nominate:

1) audioslave's NAD C352
2) bga's Yamaha AX-1200
3) wanderlust's Sansui AU-D907 Decade
4) seacrstmd's Kenwood L-03
5) bga's HK or Denon PMA-780D, or nels76's Sony TA-F333ESX

you have my commitment here sir, sasali ko yong amp, in bahalf of its previous owner..... hehehehe.

O0

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #861 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 03:53 PM »
pwede ko sama iyong gainclone... >:D

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #862 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:02 PM »
1. audioslave's NAD C352 - new prod
2. zephyr's Rotel RA-980BX - pre-owned
3. hans' Hafler XL-280 - pre-owned
4. bga's Yamaha AX-1200 - surplus
5. wanderlust's Sansui AU-D907 Decade - surplus
6. seacrstmd's Kenwood L-03 - surplus
7. bga's HK - surplus
8. bga's Denon PMA-780D - surplus
9. nels76's Sony TA-F333ESX - surplus
10. john's Gainclone - DIY

dami na masyado hehe..... how about doing multiple sessions with 4 amps at a time?

sensya na sa mga owners na walang kinalaman at na-nominate pa rin hehe, conceptual stage pa lang naman.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:03 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #863 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:32 PM »
o nga, dami na naman tayo. dapat group shoot out muna then select the top 2 contenders who will advance to the next round and compete with the other qualifiers in the other batch or group. parang basketball tournament yung format or groupings tapos cross over semi-finals then finals... he he he

;D

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #864 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:35 PM »
ang hirap ng malayo. inggit na naman ako sa inyo. kaya lang mahirap din kasali diyan, roughly 20kgs ang bubuhatin mo para lang makasali!

Offline nels76

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • extraordinarily intense AUDIO
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #865 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:36 PM »
call ako diyan.

Ok akyat I will bring my Surplus Sony 333 ES.

Pareng Akyat,

Ilaban mo din iyong Accuphase mo. Di ba pre-owned iyan?

^-^

The Mysterious Gamma Ray Burst

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #866 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:39 PM »
onga no....

11. akyat's Accuphase E-305 - pre-owned

Offline audi0slave

• DVD Addict
  • enjoy the music
  • Liked:
« Reply #867 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:41 PM »
sir akyat, kaw na bahala sa groupings ng amps. Group A, Group B, Group C etc. para kahit ilan ang entries, yung top 2 per group lang ang makakasali sa next round. :)

title ng shoot out... "solid state integrated amp shoot out" para walang distinction on whether the amp is a current model, pre-owned or surplus - whether stock or modified. but if modified or tweaked, dapat i-disclose yung mga mods done on the amp.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 04:49 PM by audioslave »

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #868 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 05:30 PM »
ah sige sir, bale so far eto pa lang nag-mention ng intent:

1. audioslave's NAD C352 - new prod
2. hans' Hafler XL-280 - pre-owned
3. bga's Yamaha AX-1200 - surplus
4. wanderlust's Sansui AU-D907 Decade - surplus
5. bga's HK - surplus
6. nels76's Sony TA-F333ESX - surplus
7. john's Gainclone - DIY
8. akyat's Accuphase E-305

so pwede na yan sa 2 sessions  ;D  sinama ko lang yung rotel & kenwood sa list kanina kasi curious ako sa tunog nun dalawa.
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2004 at 05:31 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #869 on: Jul 28, 2004 at 05:34 PM »
gusto nyo rotel amp  ;D