Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991112 times)

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #1020 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 08:39 AM »

"Masyado na yata napapalayo yan mga sessions nyo ah? Siguraduhin mo lang na audio session yan kungdi ikaw ang i-session ko!"

Pero pumayag naman sya after awhile.   ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1021 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 11:04 AM »
"Ano?!? 9:30 pa lang aalis ka na dito? Tapos gabi ka na naman uuwi? Sino ba yan Hans at Roger na yan? May field trip ba kayo puputahan?"

Whew!

Offline kid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Guru
  • Certified Kwela Boys
  • Liked:
« Reply #1022 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 11:29 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D grabeng higpit ah parang nanay  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1023 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 11:30 AM »
"Ano?!? 9:30 pa lang aalis ka na dito? Tapos gabi ka na naman uuwi? Sino ba yan Hans at Roger na yan? May field trip ba kayo puputahan?"

Whew!

Masta JOJOd,

Ok yan.... ginawa mo kaming alibi.. ;D ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1024 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 12:08 PM »

Masta JOJOd,

Ok yan.... ginawa mo kaming alibi.. ;D ;D

Pag nadinig na nya yun names na Roger at Hans, ibig sabihin nun gabi na uwi ko.  ;D

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1025 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 01:09 PM »
hi,

Sighted today sa raon.

1. Surplus Marantz CDP CD-650, 2.5k asking

2 Surplus Sansui AU-X1, int. amp. Included sa niji list. ang mahal 9k daw :o

;D

sirs, i got this from another forum. im now having second thoughts for the sansui in raon.

I was a Sansui sales representative from the mid '70s to mid '80s and am very familiar with the AU-X1. What you said about it being "too sophisticated for its own good" is about as right-on as anything. The main problem had to do, oddly enough, with its "Super Feedforward" design, which was its main selling point. Since the SSF circuit was very stable in the AU-919, the engineers decided to try overkill in the creation of the X1. It was the unit's extremely high slew rate that caused it to oscillate at just about the drop of a hat, which always resulted in the output transistors going up in smoke. I found out the hard way that just about anything could trigger the unit into oscillation, including RF interference, connection to a speaker comparator, thin gauge or "resistive" speaker wire (this amp really NEEDED Monster Cable or Live Wire to work best; forget about "zip" cord) or even a speaker system with a less-than-flat (read that "easy") impedence curve. I also found out that one must NEVER power the unit up without speakers connected; it would blow up. Usually, leaving a headphone plugged in would prevent this from happening. When it did work, however rarely that might be, it sounded GREAT and was certainly the best transistorized integrated amp that ever came out of Japan (did A-B comparisons against the top Pioneer, Kenwood, Technics and Onkyo integrated units of the time; the only unit that came close was the AU-919 running in "bypass" mode). It was during one of these comparison tests that one of my associates decided to buy an X1. A couple of years and four sets of output transistors later, he sold the unit. He felt it was too unreliable. From the repair angle, my technician absolutely HATED the X1. According to him, each of the six demo units that we were running had blown up at least twice (this is where we discovered all the "don'ts" about this amp) and some as many as four times. He was glad that we did not sell that many units but did average an X1 every other month (for the same reason!).
I hope this helps. As repair parts are becoming increasingly difficult to find for the X1, I would recommend that you consider selling yours (assuming it still works) and, if you are still partial to the sound of Sansui amps of that era, consider getting an AU-919 (still quite a few floating around eBay). When a 919 is run in the "bypass" mode (a front panel switch), it is one of the sweetest sounding amps and closely rivals the X1, without all the trouble. It does significantly reduce the power (if memory serves, it bypassed the entire line stage and fed the power amp directly) but you will be rewarded with exceptional sound AND reliabilty.
If I may be any further assistance, please email me.

thanks...
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2004 at 07:59 PM by dennispm »
Know Thyself!

Offline BGA VI

• Collector
  • surplus addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1026 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 01:19 PM »
sir jojo,

>:D hirap pala makatakas sa inyo  ;D ;D

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1027 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 01:47 PM »
dennispm, baka dyan nag-umpisa sa AU-X1 ang tawag nila na "Sansu-nog" hehehe.

AU-919 is the international version of AU-D907, it came out in 1978..... ma-try nga yan "bypass" mode..... thanks for the info.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1028 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 03:21 PM »
sir jojo,

>:D hirap pala makatakas sa inyo  ;D ;D

Di naman, kailangan lang ng court order. Hehehe

BTW, kakatakot naman pala yan Sansui X1, lagi nag oscillate? Thanks for the heads up!

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1029 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 04:26 PM »
I was a Sansui sales representative from the mid '70s to mid '80s and am very familiar with the AU-X1. What you said about it being "too sophisticated for its own good" is about as right-on as anything. The main problem had to do, oddly enough, with its "Super Feedforward" design, which was its main selling point. Since the SSF circuit was very stable in the AU-919, the engineers decided to try overkill in the creation of the X1. It was the unit's extremely high slew rate that caused it to oscillate at just about the drop of a hat, which always resulted in the output transistors going up in smoke...

Nice piece and good you shared this with us. But then, I thought the problerm with transistors in Sansui was true mostly on the A series amps and R series receivers which were cheaper. I've been a die-hard Sansui user and I remember technicians in Sansui's service center in Soliven Bldg. in EDSA/Ortigas complaining about the Sansui models (mostly components of complete systems) sold here as "sirain." My problem Sansui though during that time was my SD-1330 tape deck and a Z series compu-receiver, newly released back then.

I had an AUD-7 and -9 and G-5700 back in the '80s and I had no trouble with them despite roughly a decade of use. I was able to sell those units at relatively high prices. I have now two 907s, including an Alpha, both running on SFF  and still no problem. My old 907, tries to mimic the mid and high characteristics of the tube, but short on low while the Alpha I'd say has the balance I need - specifically filling up the punch and deep low I want to hear.

Anyway, your info on the weakness of the Sansui (is it limited to X1, or to others with SFF too?) is really appreciated. It pays to know technical things like this.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1030 on: Aug 12, 2004 at 07:39 PM »
Oscillation is an amps silent killer.  ;D

I remember destroying 4 perfectly good power transistors in a prototype just because my input wires came too close to the output wires. Pufff... and the magic smoke appeared.  ;D :o

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1031 on: Aug 13, 2004 at 02:24 PM »
This could be related to the subject of surplus amps getting very expensive nowadays. Had a chat with a trader here in Davao who deals directly with Japanese suppliers claiming they're having a hard time getting good models from recycling centers in Japan due to strong competition from Vietnam. While the Japs ship 2 to 3 container vans of surplus gears weekly here in Davao, up to five ships (dozens of vans per ship) full of surplus home electronics go to Vietnam every week. Japanese suppliers claim Vietnamese traders' offers are higher compared with those from local traders.

Of course, there's always a possibility of a conspiracy among traders and that they're monitoring our posts. Both surplus and brand new equipment retailers could benefit from higher pricing for "cheap junks." In any case, response should be rational, which could mean sort of a boycott - Aray! Internal na muna ang bilihan para mabawasan naman ang stocks nung iba diyan na para nang tindahan ang kuwarto. In the meantime, we could concentrate on promoting and learning from mods of local talents like JojoD and the others. Tailor-fit pa sa preference natin ang tunog.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1032 on: Aug 13, 2004 at 04:49 PM »
This could be related to the subject of surplus amps getting very expensive nowadays. Had a chat with a trader here in Davao who deals directly with Japanese suppliers claiming they're having a hard time getting good models from recycling centers in Japan due to strong competition from Vietnam. While the Japs ship 2 to 3 container vans of surplus gears weekly here in Davao, up to five ships (dozens of vans per ship) full of surplus home electronics go to Vietnam every week. Japanese suppliers claim Vietnamese traders' offers are higher compared with those from local traders.

Of course, there's always a possibility of a conspiracy among traders and that they're monitoring our posts. Both surplus and brand new equipment retailers could benefit from higher pricing for "cheap junks." In any case, response should be rational, which could mean sort of a boycott - Aray! Internal na muna ang bilihan para mabawasan naman ang stocks nung iba diyan na para nang tindahan ang kuwarto. In the meantime, we could concentrate on promoting and learning from mods of local talents like JojoD and the others. Tailor-fit pa sa preference natin ang tunog.

i totally agree with you on this sir!!!  my fare share in the surplus market, are : a sansui and a luxman amps,  plus a technics cdp. am actually thinking of adding another cdp and a lower powered amp (for the rm)  but have decided to put it on hold for the moment as prices of surplus, specially for amps have increased to stupendous highs!

agreeing with you further sir is your proposal to go the DIY alternative way of life, i actually have been toying with the idea of auditioning one of masta jojos GC as an alternative to going all tubes(for the time being, killing SARS) but havent really gotten into that as the tweaked cdp is the yummier option that i am eyeing now.

but hey, with the surplus amps going as high as 9k id rather have a DIY (which i guess wouldnt cost that much) which will surely have a  guaranted after sales service and a possibilty of upgrade and tweaks pa, to your own liking and specifics. ;)

so i say! a boycott is it for me, for now on the surplus market. >:(

good riddance. ;)

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1033 on: Aug 13, 2004 at 04:51 PM »
I was a Sansui sales representative from the mid '70s to mid '80s and am very familiar with the AU-X1. What you said about it being "too sophisticated for its own good" is about as right-on as anything. The main problem had to do, oddly enough, with its "Super Feedforward" design, which was its main selling point. Since the SSF circuit was very stable in the AU-919, the engineers decided to try overkill in the creation of the X1. It was the unit's extremely high slew rate that caused it to oscillate at just about the drop of a hat, which always resulted in the output transistors going up in smoke...

this is quite an informative piece sir, thank you for sharing this with us. my salutations on you sir.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2004 at 12:10 PM by wanderlust »

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1034 on: Aug 13, 2004 at 04:55 PM »

Di naman, kailangan lang ng court order. Hehehe

baka kasi sir d mo pinapadinig sa kay commader yong improvement ng audio set-up mo, sabihin mo dhil sa sessions yan with hans and roger (buti na lang d kami nagamit.... hehehe)

tsaka pakitaan mo minsan ng mga projects mo sir, sbihin mo, kaya ka sumasama sa session e para makakita ka ng customers.... sabay bigay ng flowers, hehehe.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1035 on: Aug 13, 2004 at 06:24 PM »
wanderlust,

OT nice advise yan sir from the lips of an expert!! :) :)

pero parang straw... este sip sip ;D ;D

fish fish

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1036 on: Aug 14, 2004 at 12:15 AM »
wanderlust,

OT nice advise yan sir from the lips of an expert!! :) :)

pero parang straw... este sip sip ;D ;D

fish fish

Napatawa ako dun ah  ;D

Cge unahin ko na yun kay wonderlust sir.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1037 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 12:14 PM »
loko kayo ah. just trying to help out......   >:D

halata ba, hehehe. ??? ;D

Offline stardust

• Apprentice
  • Audiophile Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1038 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 02:02 PM »
Good AM mga guys

I have just hooked up my surplus Pioneer A400X (from pier) with my Chario Speaker and it seems that it match with this speaker, a well balance sound stage for me compare when I'm using my Onkyo TX SR600 but it need some time to warm up about 30 minutes then okay na. For more improvement  balak kong palitan yung power cord niya and also need to buy new speaker cable since yung kanyang binding post terminal don'accept the banana type.

BTW my set up is here in Macau China, pinadala lang ng brother ko itong amplifier dito sometime in Jan 2004 but the unit was used with Wharfedale Crystal 10. According to him this amplifier produced the purest sound since don't have treble and bass control.

Pioneer A400X
Production date 1985 to 1990

Hello to all members..

To update regarding improvements on my Pioneer A-400X. I already finished and installed my new gear to this amplifier and  the result ....ÖUTSTANDING ..... the sounds was more like
a tube amp... bass was deeper and extended...

My Homemade Power Cord
Before

After

I used Denko wire, Hubbell medical grade plug (Twist- Lock type), TDK ferrite, and for the dressing Blue sleeve.

New Speaker Cable
Before

After

OFC Speker wire with ferrite rings

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #1039 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 02:19 PM »
My new acquisition:

Luxman L-504

-This vintage amp is surely for keeps! ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2004 at 08:11 PM by nirvblakr »

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1040 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 02:46 PM »

Hello to all members..

To update regarding improvements on my Pioneer A-400X. I already finished and installed my new gear to this amplifier and  the result ....ÖUTSTANDING ..... the sounds was more like
a tube amp... bass was deeper and extended...

My Homemade Power Cord
Before

After

I used Denko wire, Hubbell medical grade plug (Twist- Lock type), TDK ferrite, and for the dressing Blue sleeve.

New Speaker Cable
Before

After

OFC Speker wire with ferrite rings

wow!!!!

looks very professional sir! the power cord looks like that of an XLO (which i think cost more than 10k) and the speaker wire if i may say: impressive! easily outdones expensive speaker wire in looks.

so hows the performance sir? wish i knew how to dress up mine to.... ;D

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1041 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 02:56 PM »
congrats doc on your toy. your right, this ones for keeps! pa audition ha this sat. hehehe.

Offline stardust

• Apprentice
  • Audiophile Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1042 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 03:52 PM »
Thanks bro for your comment .....it takes time also to assemble all those gear need to check every store here in Macau since nakakalat dito yung mga electronics shop and in addition hirap makipag communicate since they dont speak english. need to get picture in internet and print then show to them so they will know what I want.

Regarding construction I just consult some DIY audio tweaks sa internet.

The result was very impressive, it seems you are listening to a tube amp...a well balance soundstage....bass is tight but deep...... sulit lahat ng gastos at hirap...

Kung kaya ko gumawa nito kaya mo rin.....just have the right materials and guide from electronics guru (audio tweaks in internet) then you can make it.....

Offline stardust

• Apprentice
  • Audiophile Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1043 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 05:43 PM »
Testing 1,2,3... actual test on my new homemade power cord and speaker cable for surplus Pioneer A-400X integrated amplifier
Souce>>> Panasonic DVD- A470
Speaker>>Chario Loudspeaker "Syntar 200"
IC>>>>>> Unbalance DIY Cable using Denko Interlink Audio cable and gold plated IC plug.....this baby diliver clear sound...I love it...even send one pair to my brother.

BTW at the back is my DIY rack made of screw rod covered by black painted PVC pipe, plywood laminated with black formica and with caster wheel.

Peace to all

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1044 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 06:11 PM »
All I can say is WOW.  ;)

Offline D0Hbert

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1045 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 07:45 PM »
Doc Nirv, alam ko kung kanino nanggaling yang amp na yan, yung pinaka unang source nyan sa pinas :) Mga matatandang audiophile.

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1046 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 07:54 PM »
Dohbert- Yup tama ka dyan bro!  Nung nakita ko di ko na mabitawan.  Paired with my custom speakers

military grade speaker wires, pure copper ICs....one thing I can say: Hayuuuuup sa tunog!!!
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2004 at 08:06 PM by nirvblakr »

Offline nerveblocker

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1047 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 08:14 PM »
wanderlust-  yes it will be set up on saturday here in our sala.  remember the date august 21 ; 1 pm onwards at my place 3374 palosapis st., united paranaque 2, east service road between fti and bicutan for our DIY shootout ;D ;D ;D

See you there!
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2004 at 06:31 AM by nirvblakr »

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1048 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 08:28 PM »
military grade speaker wires, pure copper ICs....one thing I can say: Hayuuuuup sa tunog!!!

maganda nga tumunog yung mil spec na spkr wires ;D
money is best spent

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1049 on: Aug 17, 2004 at 01:40 PM »
military grade speaker wires? hmmmm d ko pa natry yan ha. this would be intresting.  ;)

yes sir, this sat indeed, d lang pala speakers pupuntahan ko amp din. ;D