Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991104 times)

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #1050 on: Aug 17, 2004 at 01:48 PM »
Thanks bro for your comment .....it takes time also to assemble all those gear need to check every store here in Macau since nakakalat dito yung mga electronics shop and in addition hirap makipag communicate since they dont speak english. need to get picture in internet and print then show to them so they will know what I want.

Regarding construction I just consult some DIY audio tweaks sa internet.

The result was very impressive, it seems you are listening to a tube amp...a well balance soundstage....bass is tight but deep...... sulit lahat ng gastos at hirap...

Kung kaya ko gumawa nito kaya mo rin.....just have the right materials and guide from electronics guru (audio tweaks in internet) then you can make it.....

hmmmm your words inspire sir..... though i dont have a know how on this matter as i am in a field much different from this hobby of ours, but maybe a reading from the gurus, consultations from diy friends here, and i little luck, il build mine as well in the near future.

may i now start the ball rolling by asking for your help sir.... re: the power cord for the amp as i have been long planning to build one for my cdp and amp. for the cdp my prob is the socket as the cdp socket only admits the small to hole size, standard for cdps and other smaller elec. equipments, and the fact that in most amps  the power cord is permanently attached, how do i go about it sir?

we might be OT so if ever pa pm na lang din sir.

thnx. ;D

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1051 on: Aug 17, 2004 at 08:30 PM »
stardust,

Ayos yan DIY mo.. ;D

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1052 on: Aug 17, 2004 at 10:17 PM »
military grade speaker wires? hmmmm d ko pa natry yan ha. this would be intresting.  ;)

yes sir, this sat indeed, d lang pala speakers pupuntahan ko amp din. ;D

I have this stranded wires from a Huey chopper that my brother-in-law gave me. He used to work for an airline. Dami nyan dun sa hangar kaya naguwi ako.  ;D ;D

Though most are silver wires, I use it often on amps and haven't had the chance to try it as speaker wires.  ;)

Offline stardust

• Apprentice
  • Audiophile Lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1053 on: Aug 17, 2004 at 10:32 PM »
Thanks bro for your comment....

Ganda talaga ng DIY dahil there always room for improvement....

Peace to all.....

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1054 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 09:28 AM »
Stardust,

Yes bro you can make a stone into a gem with DIY pero syempre dapat skill ka rin.

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1055 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 11:01 AM »

I have this stranded wires from a Huey chopper that my brother-in-law gave me. He used to work for an airline. Dami nyan dun sa hangar kaya naguwi ako.  ;D ;D

Though most are silver wires, I use it often on amps and haven't had the chance to try it as speaker wires.  ;)

sir baka pwedeng.........  ;)

willing akong e-test yan sir sa system ko as speaker wire...... ;D

Offline nerveblocker

• Trade Count: (+98)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • DTS-HD Master Audio!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #1056 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 06:34 AM »
iceman-  These military grade wires can be used as ICs or speaker wires.  It will be available at our EB this saturday if you are interested. 

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1057 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 06:43 AM »
iceman-  These military grade wires can be used as ICs or speaker wires.  It will be available at our EB this saturday if you are interested. 

Doc,

Heard this cables last Saturday kina Iceman he used it for his audio setup.. maganda sound.

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1058 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 09:29 AM »
This is not OT but I remember Dau/Clark, when I was just starting back in the '80s. That's the equivalent of Pier now, where you can get surpluses including small-item military-grade spare parts for fighter jets, satellite-based equipment, latest model tanks, etc. at junk prices (caps at P1 to P5 each and wires at P1 to P10 per meter.).

Those items, I was told, were best for audio DIY upgrades. The traders would insist those were superior (made to save lives, even a country, as objective) compared with commercial-grade parts. Got caps back then that replaced dried up parts of my Quad and other old amps and the results were okay.

An engineer from Eastern Telecoms who bought my Quad amp whose huge power caps I replaced with military-grade ones swore low frequency has improved if based on same model Quad that his brother-in-law owned. I also used DIY interconnects back then including tiny pure copper wires from jet fighter wire assembly which I braided for my old ARs, Bose, Infinity and JBLs (got into British speakers only in the early '90s).

But I got tired of those wires after about 10 years of use in mid-90s since they looked ugly and my wife didn't like them, so, I went back to Monsters' latest, such as Navajo Whites and Interlinks. But I still keep those military-grade ICs in my house outside the city. My braided wires (10 covered wires each of high-grade pure copper) I remember, were 6 meters long each. I'll probably install them back, pag na-inggit ako sa mga experiences ninyo.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1059 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 10:55 AM »
This is not OT but I remember Dau/Clark, when I was just starting back in the '80s. That's the equivalent of Pier now, where you can get surpluses including small-item military-grade spare parts for fighter jets, satellite-based equipment, latest model tanks, etc. at junk prices (caps at P1 to P5 each and wires at P1 to P10 per meter.).

Those items, I was told, were best for audio DIY upgrades. The traders would insist those were superior (made to save lives, even a country, as objective) compared with commercial-grade parts. Got caps back then that replaced dried up parts of my Quad and other old amps and the results were okay.

An engineer from Eastern Telecoms who bought my Quad amp whose huge power caps I replaced with military-grade ones swore low frequency has improved if based on same model Quad that his brother-in-law owned. I also used DIY interconnects back then including tiny pure copper wires from jet fighter wire assembly which I braided for my old ARs, Bose, Infinity and JBLs (got into British speakers only in the early '90s).

But I got tired of those wires after about 10 years of use in mid-90s since they looked ugly and my wife didn't like them, so, I went back to Monsters' latest, such as Navajo Whites and Interlinks. But I still keep those military-grade ICs in my house outside the city. My braided wires (10 covered wires each of high-grade pure copper) I remember, were 6 meters long each. I'll probably install them back, pag na-inggit ako sa mga experiences ninyo.

Maybe I should build amps with this phrase in mind...

"(made to save lives, even a country, as objective)"

;D

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1060 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 12:28 PM »
in that case sir jo, you will be declared a "HERO"!

baka nacanonize ka pa sa vatican, hehehehe.

fish sir.......

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1061 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 04:36 PM »
Maybe I should build amps with this phrase in mind...
"(made to save lives, even a country, as objective)"
 ;D

Kung inabot mo yung golden days of Dau, Sir, magsasawa ka ng parts para sa amps and audio DIYs mo. Nakabilao ang mga eletronic components parang sa palengke, iba't ibang kulay, grabe ang mga brands meron pang Martin Marietta (yung gumagawa ng rocket papunta sa buwan) - at may mabibili kang piyesa na dalawa singko! Dami ding Hustler tig-P10 ang walang cover, Sarap! Hindi na mababalik yun Sir, pumutok kasi si Pinatubo.

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1062 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 09:14 PM »

thanks Sir - i already got some from Anthony, using them as spkr wires ;D
money is best spent

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1063 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 09:31 PM »
I did had the chance to visit Dau several times, my parents are from San Fernando and we have lots of relatives in Angeles City.  ;)

Aside from electronics, I also got my Pachmayr grips in Dau  :o.  I still have those military issue mess kits too.  ;)

Sayang nga at di na maibabalik pa.  ;D

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1064 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 09:41 PM »
Ba't ako laging andito sa dau, walang makita.... :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline iceman90a

• DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1065 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 09:43 PM »
Ba't ako laging andito sa dau, walang makita.... :-\ :-\ :-\

iba yata pinupuntahan mo eh ;D

wala na ba nung sinabi ni sandawa na walang cover?
money is best spent

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1066 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 09:56 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Well, actually matitindi tlga mga tao dito kc our facility is the previous telecom facility of the US Air Force here in clark. Kaya nung mawala mga kano hukay dito hukay dun mga taga dito at kable ang target. Until now meron pa rin ako'ng nakikitang naghuhukay.... Hhmmmm..... ::) ::) ::) Malapitan nga at baka makahingi.... ;D ;D ;D

iba yata pinupuntahan mo eh ;D

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1067 on: Aug 19, 2004 at 10:08 PM »
Bukas pre, magtatanung tanong ako sa dau kung meron nun....

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1068 on: Aug 23, 2004 at 12:40 PM »
Wala na yung hinahanap niyo, kasi the amps, electronics, etc. used to be in shops at the junction of the old superhighway/Dau exit. The last time I passed by that junction 10 years ago, nandun pa ang structures pero no more shops as well as goodies. Siguro nga ang available yung mga hinihukay na lang.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1069 on: Aug 23, 2004 at 02:15 PM »

Kung inabot mo yung golden days of Dau, Sir, magsasawa ka ng parts para sa amps and audio DIYs mo. Nakabilao ang mga eletronic components parang sa palengke, iba't ibang kulay, grabe ang mga brands meron pang Martin Marietta (yung gumagawa ng rocket papunta sa buwan) - at may mabibili kang piyesa na dalawa singko! Dami ding Hustler tig-P10 ang walang cover, Sarap! Hindi na mababalik yun Sir, pumutok kasi si Pinatubo.

I recall Dau to be a mecca of sorts for the military-grade electronics parts that probably were canniblized from the US miltary bases.  I used to work in an airline at their maintenance base and, boy, the parts to repair avionics equipment are really robust, and very expensive. 

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1070 on: Aug 23, 2004 at 03:50 PM »
Those were the days. My Dad's American friend once took us inside Clark's off-duty commissary where prices of audio equipment were only half of those listed in Stereo Review (equivalent to a third of brand new prices here). Isang section lang, para kang nasa Best Buy sa dami ng home electronics!

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1071 on: Aug 24, 2004 at 10:26 AM »
Tsk... tsk... tsk...

Those memories... sayang.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1072 on: Aug 24, 2004 at 10:59 AM »
Lockheed Martin is that what you mean?

Offline wanderlust

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1073 on: Aug 24, 2004 at 11:21 AM »
hay........... bat ako walang memories na ganyan. hehehe.

my only memories of the bases were the senate dicussions and then the voting of yes or no for, then pinatubo..........  surplus women from back then meron pa cgro no? >:D ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2004 at 05:03 PM by wanderlust »

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1074 on: Aug 24, 2004 at 02:34 PM »
saw these recently in pier.
 Onkyo A-820GT (silver finish)
 Marantz PM-80 (gold finish)
 Alpine/Luxman A-007 (40W x 2)

The Onkyo is in nishi's list.

thanks.

Know Thyself!

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1075 on: Aug 24, 2004 at 06:04 PM »
Lockheed Martin is that what you mean?

You're right. Lockheed and Martin used to be separate companies that merged dahil wala nang giyera. Also Martin and Marieta used to be two distinct companies, both defense suppliers. Ngayon, may giyera na ulit, buhay na naman and US war industries expect its economy to boom soon.

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1076 on: Aug 24, 2004 at 06:44 PM »
OT: Type ko yan mga designs ng Lockheed pero mas ok yun McDonell Douglas dba?  ;D

Wish wish wish...

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1077 on: Aug 24, 2004 at 08:12 PM »
They shifted in building satellites and rockets....

I once see this motto on the shirt in one of our LM expat:

"We built Rocket For Food"

You're right. Lockheed and Martin used to be separate companies that merged dahil wala nang giyera. Also Martin and Marieta used to be two distinct companies, both defense suppliers. Ngayon, may giyera na ulit, buhay na naman and US war industries expect its economy to boom soon.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1078 on: Aug 25, 2004 at 06:30 AM »
They shifted in building satellites and rockets....
I once see this motto on the shirt in one of our LM expat:
"We built Rocket For Food"

Not sure but I think Lockheed specialized in aeronautics while Martin's forte was avionics before they merged (after Martin-Marieta). Sana gumagawa rin sila ng amps and other audio equipment para mas masaya at hindi tayo OT dito. Ngayon, hanggang pulot/hukay na lang tayo ng piyesa nila.

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #1079 on: Aug 25, 2004 at 02:28 PM »

Not sure but I think Lockheed specialized in aeronautics while Martin's forte was avionics before they merged (after Martin-Marieta). Sana gumagawa rin sila ng amps and other audio equipment para mas masaya at hindi tayo OT dito.

pasali sa discussion mga bros...hughes aircraft which was also a defense contractor, is the patent holder of the WOW and SRS tecnnologies na we still see in current audio/video gears ;)
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10