Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991611 times)

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #1260 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 04:39 PM »
If i recall right, this is part of a set.  I had a Sansui A-909 for a few months in the early 80s, also part of a set that I didn't get.  The A-909 is rated 90wpc.  So I assume the 707 is rated at 70wpc.  Just can't recall if that's RMS or DIN-rated.

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #1261 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 05:22 PM »
parang part of a set yata to kasi naalala ko noon na ilang patong yun. di ko lang sure kung anong mga pinagpatong noon dahil maliit pa ako. are the power rating in 4ohms or 8ohms mode? ano po yung DIN rated?

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1262 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 06:58 PM »
parang part of a set yata to kasi naalala ko noon na ilang patong yun. di ko lang sure kung anong mga pinagpatong noon dahil maliit pa ako. are the power rating in 4ohms or 8ohms mode? ano po yung DIN rated?

THis is rated into 8 ohms.  4-ohms rating for the home was quite rare in those days.   This was an integrated stereo amp that came with a separate T-707 tuner, a cassette deck and turntable - the standard ubiquitous audio systems set of the 80s.  I think the set also included a pair of 3-way speakers.

DIN is a German standard used extensively in rating gears destined for Europe.  Forgot what the acronym stands for, but it's in German.  Not as strict as FTC standard.  Similar to JETA or EIAJ of Japan that rates the amp at 1kz, one channel driven at a time. 
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2005 at 07:08 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #1263 on: Feb 22, 2005 at 09:53 PM »
sir av, thanks :)

Offline zap|JDM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • nOOb
  • Liked:
« Reply #1264 on: Feb 24, 2005 at 12:35 PM »
hey guys, is the Sansui AU-d33 any good? i was thinking of pulling it out of my AV rack, coz its kinda old, but then i read this thread and kinda changed my mind..hehehe. :)
www.jdmunderground.ph
Mickey's Autosound

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #1265 on: Mar 16, 2005 at 11:52 AM »
hey guys what was the most powerful map that you saw sa pier ?

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1266 on: Mar 19, 2005 at 04:22 PM »
THis is rated into 8 ohms.  4-ohms rating for the home was quite rare in those days.   This was an integrated stereo amp that came with a separate T-707 tuner, a cassette deck and turntable - the standard ubiquitous audio systems set of the 80s.  I think the set also included a pair of 3-way speakers.

DIN is a German standard used extensively in rating gears destined for Europe.  Forgot what the acronym stands for, but it's in German.  Not as strict as FTC standard.  Similar to JETA or EIAJ of Japan that rates the amp at 1kz, one channel driven at a time. 

more info on DIN (DUCTH INDUSTRY NORM) can be found here:http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=DIN&sm=Yahoo%21+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1267 on: Jun 24, 2005 at 07:06 AM »
Has anybody been to the pier recently? I was there a few months ago and i couldnt find higher wattage amps like Sansui AU 707 (I never hoped to find an au907). I found a few aud607 but they weren't in good condition. Kaunti yata ang dating ng surplus units from Japan. If anyone found good items from the Pier surplus area, kwento naman oh.

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1268 on: Jun 24, 2005 at 09:15 AM »
there's a Sansui AU-D707F Extra (110 wpc) available from a trader's shop here in Davao at P4.5K. it's in almost perfect condition with wood side panels, but you need someone from here to send it to you. unfortunately, i couldn't help you with this since i'm relatively busy.

as many as half a dozen members of this forum were able to buy from the Pier in the last two years Sansui 907s (not the 907 Alpha line, which is rare and is still selling in the US at over $1K used). the price range of the regular 907 amp was between P6K to P8K i was told. but not many of the owners here would sell their 907 units considering they command a high price in eBay (from $300 to $600 used). even those that have shifted to tube are still holding on to their 907s. 
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2005 at 09:50 AM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #1269 on: Jun 24, 2005 at 09:28 AM »

hi sandawa!

this is very interesting...i'll try to visit the trader's shop when i go to davao...unfortunately i had to cancel my june 29 trip...may binigay na extra trabaho eh, sigh!...but hope to be there by end july...it's the Christening of supergirl's pamangkin...thanks sir!!

Superman 8)
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1270 on: Jun 24, 2005 at 09:39 AM »
yung nasa ibaba na picture, eksakto, available sa Arjoel outlet sa F. Bangoy, mint condition pa. palagay ko ibibigay ng P4K.

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #1271 on: Jun 24, 2005 at 09:45 AM »
yung nasa ibaba na picture, eksakto, available sa Arjoel outlet sa F. Bangoy, mint condition pa. palagay ko ibibigay ng P4K.

thanks bro!...see you soon!...balitaan mo ako pag may mga bagong dating...thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1272 on: Jun 24, 2005 at 10:11 AM »
Has anybody been to the pier recently? I was there a few months ago and i couldnt find higher wattage amps like Sansui AU 707 (I never hoped to find an au907). I found a few aud607 but they weren't in good condition. Kaunti yata ang dating ng surplus units from Japan. If anyone found good items from the Pier surplus area, kwento naman oh.
hintay-hintay lang sir.  I was able to get Sansui AU-D907X and Kenwood L-03a there before. 
are you really interested in acquiring high power surplus amps? OT and shameless plug ::) i'll letting go of my Kenwood KA1100SD, 150wpc packaged with Kenwood KT-593 digital tuner and Kenwood DP-8020 CD Player. PM me for your offers  ;D

check this link for the specs of the amp
http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/ka-1100.htm

and this to translate to english
http://world.altavista.com

thanks.
Know Thyself!

Offline Dowals

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Guru
  • Cobra Commander
  • Liked:
« Reply #1273 on: Jul 04, 2005 at 09:56 AM »
favor mga bossing,

where can we find the surplus shops in pier? can guys give the exact address/location please?

thanks in advance  :)
lowest paid in the banking industry

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1274 on: Jul 05, 2005 at 05:58 PM »
sir,

kindly scan a few pages back, youll find descriptives as to the location of the shops sa pier heck i remember a map was once posted here.... or was it at the surplus speaker topic....

try mo na lang sir.

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1275 on: Jul 11, 2005 at 05:02 PM »
okay...

Last Sunday i finally returned to the Pier surplus amp area (third time) with a promise to my self that I will not leave the pier without a surplus unit this time.

After checking out ALL the stalls in the area I zeroed in on two units:

Sansui AUD 707Xdecade

http://www.sansui.us/images/AUD907X_Decade/aud707x_decade_5.jpg

an AUD Sansui 707xdecade integrated amp. It was the best Sansui unit i could find at the pier and  in fact had a VERY dilapidated wood casing but its internals and front face were still in good condition. This is a 130 wpc amp (next to the TOTL AU907). It is a limited edition released in 1985 and is somewhere in between the 6th and 7th generation of the Sansui 07 series.

When I hooked it up at home to a yamaha ns1000m.... i finally understood what the brouhaha about these old amps were all about.
Now i need to replace those dilapidated MDF casing with maybe a slab of narra or kamagong plank. ( Can someone point me to where i can get wood for this? i need only 2 pieces of about 1" X 4" X 12". I still have to measure it).

i also got a

Pioneer SA9800

a Pioneer integraged amp SA9800. This is a 1976 100 wpc amp  (possibly a TOTL amp). Check out the pioneer site...

http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/Integrated%20Amps.htm

however, the amp i got does not look anywhere near the Pioneer SA9800 pictured in the website. Rather it is an exact copy of the sa9900 with the macho rack handles at the back  and the speaker outlets and various outlets on the sides and not at the back.
When hooked up also to the yamaha NS1000m speakers, the amps performed well enough...but alas..compared to the Sansui 707xdecade amps....it was outclassed in all directions. It maybe due to the condition of the amp though. I still have to check out the amp in more detail.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1276 on: Jul 11, 2005 at 09:04 PM »
parehong maganda yang nakita mo, but i'm biased in favor of the Sansui. the Pioneers are good for those who prefer hard-rocking amps, magaling sa bayuhan. i just got a 20wpc Pioneer SA-710 (7100 in the US made in early '70s) at P750 that sounds heavier than new production models, rated 50wpc and above, costing five figures. maganda ang tunog ng vintage amps - Sansui at Pioneer, both Audio Karma favorites - since these firms didn't rein on money they spend to produce good hifi until mid '80s.

the Pioneer SA-710 wrapped in good quality wood that still looks great even after over 30 years.

nude 710 shows clean layout/design

with 8 inputs - 2 phonos, 2 auxiliary equipment, 2 tape loops, 1 tuner, and 1 microphone. also comes with preamp out and main amp in jacks

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #1277 on: Jul 11, 2005 at 10:21 PM »
mga sirs, may amp ba sa pier na may phono input? yung pwede kabitan ng TT...may idea po ba kayo kung magkano? para kasi na-eeganyo ako mag-analog eh..tsaka sayang kasi yung vintage kenwood speaker ko..ginarahe ko na kasi nakabili ako ng bagong speaker...sayang kasi kung ma-stock lang baka naghahanap lang ng ka-match na amp...ok na ba ang surplus amp ikabit sa TT? ok na ba ang sound non? sorry for newbie questions...bubot pa kasi ako sa audio eh..thanks sirs!  :D
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline Vhongbiker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • musika atbp.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1278 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 05:49 AM »
mga sirs, may amp ba sa pier na may phono input? yung pwede kabitan ng TT...may idea po ba kayo kung magkano? para kasi na-eeganyo ako mag-analog eh..tsaka sayang kasi yung vintage kenwood speaker ko..ginarahe ko na kasi nakabili ako ng bagong speaker...sayang kasi kung ma-stock lang baka naghahanap lang ng ka-match na amp...ok na ba ang surplus amp ikabit sa TT? ok na ba ang sound non? sorry for newbie questions...bubot pa kasi ako sa audio eh..thanks sirs!  :D

BRO MASAMA NA NAMAN BINABALAK MO, hehehe......
cge lang basta update mo ako sa mga bago mong gears ha....
enjoy..... ;) LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL, di ba? hehehe.....
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2005 at 06:16 AM by vhongBIKER »
Pray not for a lighter burden,
but for a stronger back....

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1279 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 06:21 AM »
parehong maganda yang nakita mo, but i'm biased in favor of the Sansui. the Pioneers are good for those who prefer hard-rocking amps, magaling sa bayuhan. i just got a 20wpc Pioneer SA-710 (7100 in the US made in early '70s) at P750 that sounds heavier than new production models, rated 50wpc and above, costing five figures. maganda ang tunog ng vintage amps - Sansui at Pioneer, both Audio Karma favorites - since these firms didn't rein on money they spend to produce good hifi until mid '80s.

the Pioneer SA-710 wrapped in good quality wood that still looks great even after over 30 years.

nude 710 shows clean layout/design

with 8 inputs - 2 phonos, 2 auxiliary equipment, 2 tape loops, 1 tuner, and 1 microphone. also comes with preamp out and main amp in jacks

Hi Sandawa.
The SA710 seems to be in pristine condition sandawa. Great value for the price you paid brod. Is the case wood veneer? I love wood veneer. Its a pity the Sansui's wood case is a total wreck. The SA9800 i got has a pure metal case. No wood. I saw a brochure in the AK forum showing that the amp comes with a wood case option.

About the Pioneer VS Sansui comparison, i also snagged a pioneer SX1080 about  a month ago. (from Art Flores a Las Pinas Audio collector and seller if you've heard of or met him already). It was in good condition except that it heated up  very quickly. I stopped using it until i find a solution to the heating problem. (The DC Offset measured very high and i think we need a manual to adjust it.) However, that pioneer sounded very well and can match up toe to toe with the Sansui in my opinion. But I like rock so other's may think differently. 

I think i've seen your "sandawa" handle in some of the AK posts i've viewed. Is that you ?

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1280 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 03:17 PM »
Lordfoo...How much did you get the Sansui? I'm planning on going back there to scout for an integrated for a separate audio set-up for my bedroom :)
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #1281 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 09:06 PM »
BRO MASAMA NA NAMAN BINABALAK MO, hehehe......
cge lang basta update mo ako sa mga bago mong gears ha....
enjoy..... ;) LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL, di ba? hehehe.....

ahahaha..oo nga pre...eto hindi pa nga ako bayad sa iyo, nangangati na naman ako para sa audio...grabe ..nakaka-addict talaga..pero tanong -tanong pa muna bago bumili and besides wala pa rin pondo..
wish i have more moolah!  ;D keep in touch pre  :D
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1282 on: Jul 13, 2005 at 01:16 PM »
Hi Sandawa.
The SA710 seems to be in pristine condition sandawa. Great value for the price you paid brod. Is the case wood veneer? I love wood veneer. Its a pity the Sansui's wood case is a total wreck. The SA9800 i got has a pure metal case. No wood. I saw a brochure in the AK forum showing that the amp comes with a wood case option.

About the Pioneer VS Sansui comparison, i also snagged a pioneer SX1080 about  a month ago. (from Art Flores a Las Pinas Audio collector and seller if you've heard of or met him already). It was in good condition except that it heated up  very quickly. I stopped using it until i find a solution to the heating problem. (The DC Offset measured very high and i think we need a manual to adjust it.) However, that pioneer sounded very well and can match up toe to toe with the Sansui in my opinion. But I like rock so other's may think differently. 

I think i've seen your "sandawa" handle in some of the AK posts i've viewed. Is that you ?

that's me alright with the mt. apo avatar.

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1283 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 10:49 AM »
I guess i have the VIRUS bad. I returned to the pier area last sunday and went home with a Luxman L400.
Sabi kasi ni Sandawa, buy without thinking pag Luxman eh.

okay kaya itong unit na to?

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1284 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 12:05 PM »
sir, depende sa presyo yan ;D. with prices and specs at same level, i'd pick Sansui and Luxman, or even a Yamaha over other brands. better the vintage models - '70s and early '80s nung hindi pa nagtitipid ang mga Hapon.

Postscript

jus to remind you it would be better to check the DC offset of a newly bought vintage amp para siguradong maayos, otherwise baka hindi na balanse ang channels and that could trigger the relay switch. it's easy to adjust the DC offset for each channel and i think you know how to do it since you're also active in AK. 'yung bias, medyo sensitive from unit to unit, unless the service manual is available it's better not to tinker with those bias trimpots.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2005 at 12:22 PM by sandawa »

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1285 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 01:49 PM »
Hi Sandawa sir...

Oo nga...Yung thread ni echowars re: DC offset is very valuable. Reminds me of my Pioneer SX1080 that has a very high measurement. Parang prituhan ng itlog sa init so hindi ko magamit. I need the manual though to have my brother make the dangerous bias adjustments.

The L400 was selling for even lower than the Sansui AUD607 becuse the sales clerks based their prices on the power consumption with a slight upward margin since the unit is a Luxman. The unit is in good condition, minor nicks and scratches lang. No rust. Complete knobs.

I haven't checked its DC offset yet. I wanted to have it converted to 220 volts first.

Offline wanderlust

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1286 on: Jul 19, 2005 at 01:55 PM »
foo,

i used to own a lux l-430, and even up to now i still wonder why i resold it. i was much contended with the performance pa naman.

congrats to that, its a good buy, i know.

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1287 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 10:15 AM »
Lordfoo ,

great find. where exactly mo nabili dun? sa stores inside the "mall" or sa "strip"(mga tabi tabing tindahan sa labas) papuntang dock area? Ano katabi nya?

Thanks!

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1288 on: Jul 21, 2005 at 05:54 PM »
Sir,

The receipt says, "Little Chatty Merchandising".  The store is just after the covered supermarket along Oca St.
In any case, I visited all the stores in the area and saw this one and only Luxman amp.  Its extremely rare according to the salesboy and is immediately snatched up. Sabi kasi ni "sadawa" buy without thinking pag accuphase and Luxman eh. hehe. He's right though, I now have two Luxman , the M120a and the L400 and I am satisfied extremely with both.

regards,
Lordfoo

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1289 on: Jul 22, 2005 at 10:25 AM »
Last time I was there a month ago there were 2 or 3 luxman integrateds I saw with the Duo-Beta circuits.  I saw the first in one of the stores dedicated solely to audio with stacks of sansui and other amps, VHS and CD players.  Another inside the complex.