Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991077 times)

Offline H a n $

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #1320 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 06:30 AM »
I went back to the pier last Saturday to scout for an amp (armed with the Niji list in the car  ;D and my test CDs).  After going around the outlets, I narrowed down my choices to the following:

1.  Alpine/Luxman LV101 - though this is not in the niji list, I still included this as the Luxman's are higly recommended by the gurus here.  Had a listen to this and the mids and high sounded good and clear pero parang kulang sa weight yung bass.  I'm also a bit dissapointed with its weight which is quite light and when I peeked through its grills parang medyo maliit l yung transformer niya.  Gurus, ganito ba talaga deign ng Luxman?
2.  Sony TA333ESX - Saw this inside the covered mall area and mukhang ok pa yung condition ng unit.  Asking was a bit high so I didn't bother to listen to it.  Just listed it down anyway just in case I can't find a better bargain.
3.  Sansui AUD-507X
4.  Sansui AUD-607F Extra
- Saw these last two units in the same shop along the road (I think among the shops I visited there, it has the biggest inventory of amps and CDPs).  Although, I know that the AUD-507x is the smaller brother of the much sought after AUD907x, I opted to get the 607F-Extra even if its P500 more than the 507x's price because of the following:
-higher power rating
-wood panel of the 607F-Extra is still intact
-much heavier build
-Tested both with the same source and material and I liked the 607F better.

I'm disappointed not to find a Sony ES series CDP so I settled for Sansui CDP which read all my p-disk/CDR/Orig test materials and hooked up to the 607F sounded excellent  ;D Since I got the 2 units from the same shop, I was able to haggle the price a little bit lower ;D.

I felt I had a good deal with these purchases and this was confirmed when I hooked it up with my 15-year old JVC component bookshelves.  The sound was full, the mids are clear, the hihgs are just right, and it has ample bass...I can't believe I'm listening to my old mini-component bookshelves.  Just out of curiosity, I played the same material (which BTW is track 4 of Audiophile Voices I) in my HK/Diamond 8.3 set-up and it only edged my all-surplus finds by a small margin in the bass region (which is understandble because the 8.3s are towers).

I felt especially good also about the Sansui CDP x317r (not in the niji list) because it sounded better than Denon DCD 1500 and it read all CDs so inspected it more thouroughly this time...and my, I was surprised 9and a bit disappointed) to find out printed at the back "Made in Taiwan"  ??? Anyway, did I say it sounded great? ;D

Bro nice catched you got there!!.. yun surplus Victor amp ko still providing best music i tried bi-wired, connecting HF sa speaker A then LF sa speaker B then sabay ON hehehehe mas maganda separation/depth and more focus image. ;D

Offline fweyd

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1321 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 08:19 AM »
Bro san ka mangagaling?? familiar ka Manila Cathedral lapit na sya dun.

ano tawag sa place ?? "Pier" tlga ?? may mga boats ba dun ?  ???

Tool.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1322 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 08:30 AM »
ano tawag sa place ?? "Pier" tlga ?? may mga boats ba dun ?  ???

Port area.

Offline ramble_on

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1323 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 08:33 AM »
yup, south harbor kasi yon. but you won't see the ships up close since the place where the surplus amps are located are just about a couple of hundred of meters from the main gate.

from the manila cathedral, go straight about a 100 meters until you reach the big rotonda. halfway around it, you'll see the main gate with an arc (of sorts).

once inside the compound, concentrate on the right side (there are also a few vendors on the left side). the first section would be where you'll find sewing machines, tvs, refs, aircons. then a one story structure (most stuff you'll find here are tvs (again), china-made electronics, i counted 4 shops selling surplus audio).

you'll find the funstuff after the building. hope this helps.

good luck on your hunt.

ps i got a sony cdp esd series last saturday. found one inside the building. i saw another one in the same shop just in case you're interested.

cheers.

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1324 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 08:43 AM »
Bro nice catched you got there!!.. yun surplus Victor amp ko still providing best music i tried bi-wired, connecting HF sa speaker A then LF sa speaker B then sabay ON hehehehe mas maganda separation/depth and more focus image. ;D

Hey, I was also thinking of doing that...takot lang ako baka I might fry something  ;D I'll try it this weekend  ;D

ps i got a sony cdp esd series last saturday. found one inside the building. i saw another one in the same shop just in case you're interested.

Waah, di ko nakita yun ah  :( I was concentrating on getting the amp kasi when I was doing the rounds. Anyways, maybe next time  ;D
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1325 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 09:26 AM »
Here are the pics of my latest haul  ;D ;D ;D

Sansui AU-D607F Extra

With the Sansui 317R CDP
B&W603 S3

Offline ramble_on

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1326 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 05:45 PM »
nice catch! i auditioned a higher model 'bout a month ago (AUD-707f) pero parang it sounded a tad shrill so i let it go, (though it could have been the speakers). i assume you got your's at chatty's also?

for those interested in another sony 228 esd; enter the one story structure via the last entrance. take the first left, count around 6 to 7 stalls on your right. seller is a fair complexioned big lady with glasses. look for the 228 on the pile immediately facing the shop entrance (it's the sixth unit from the top).

have fun!

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1327 on: Sep 07, 2005 at 09:28 AM »
nice catch! i auditioned a higher model 'bout a month ago (AUD-707f) pero parang it sounded a tad shrill so i let it go, (though it could have been the speakers). i assume you got your's at chatty's also?

for those interested in another sony 228 esd; enter the one story structure via the last entrance. take the first left, count around 6 to 7 stalls on your right. seller is a fair complexioned big lady with glasses. look for the 228 on the pile immediately facing the shop entrance (it's the sixth unit from the top).

have fun!

Actually sobrang sibilant siya connected to the cdp they're using to test the unit (Victor yata?) but when we tested it with the Sansui CDP, nawala yung sibilance and naging warm and full yung tunog...so it must be the source.

Yes, got it from Chatty's.  I think I also went to the store you're referring to that sells the sone esd's..just didn't see it.  Thanks for the heads up. ;)
B&W603 S3

Offline arizton

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1328 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 03:35 PM »
excuse me mga sir tanong ko lang kung may mabibili bang sub don sa pier?
tnx po

Offline kemozavi

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.soundsolutionsph.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1329 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 04:03 PM »
Hi i've never been to the pier po, tanong ko lang kung meron silang mga power amps na may VU meters doon, i'm looking for the Onkyo Integra m504 or it's variants po,,,,  :)

Offline Jairus

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1330 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 04:37 PM »
Hi i've never been to the pier po, tanong ko lang kung meron silang mga power amps na may VU meters doon, i'm looking for the Onkyo Integra m504 or it's variants po,,,,  :)

Sorry, There are a lot of power amps there, I'm just not familiar with VU meters...pero kung ito yung parang compass sa harap  ;D I think I saw a lot of those there  ;D...was not able to note the brands available though.

tnx po

No sighting...but there are a lot of good bargain subs in the Assorted Buy & Sell Section Thread...I think I saw an M&K, US Audio and an Sw150 for sale there...just check it out  ;)
B&W603 S3

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1331 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 04:52 PM »
there were/are power amps and usually comes with a pre-amp.  last time i went there I saw a Sony 3xxES Power amp.  didn't bother to audition though.  The ones you're looking for are very rare and if they surface,  sold/reserved already.  better check yourself and maybe you may find a gem.

regards

Know Thyself!

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #1332 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 04:54 PM »
tnx po
there were subs there. I saw some Sonys and Kenwoods but didn't bother to check. 
Know Thyself!

Offline kemozavi

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • DVD Addict
  • www.soundsolutionsph.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #1333 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 05:23 PM »
there were/are power amps and usually comes with a pre-amp.  last time i went there I saw a Sony 3xxES Power amp.  didn't bother to audition though.  The ones you're looking for are very rare and if they surface,  sold/reserved already.  better check yourself and maybe you may find a gem.

regards

Sir magkano on the average mga power amps? say around 150watts per channel rms? On the earlier part of this thread may nakaspot ata ng onkyo integra m506 kaya lang matagal na ata yun,,,

heres a pic of the Onkyo Integra m506

hmm..... if ever po kahit hindi onkyo integra may makikita kaya ako na power amp dun na may vu meter (parang needles)sa harap?

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1334 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 05:29 PM »
If you can find a well-maintained Onkyo Integra M class power amp at any production year, grab it.  (After paying for it ofcourse  ;D)
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2005 at 05:33 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1335 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 06:06 PM »
Sir magkano on the average mga power amps? say around 150watts per channel rms? On the earlier part of this thread may nakaspot ata ng onkyo integra m506 kaya lang matagal na ata yun,,,

heres a pic of the Onkyo Integra m506

hmm..... if ever po kahit hindi onkyo integra may makikita kaya ako na power amp dun na may vu meter (parang needles)sa harap?

there was a pair of Integra 506 (pre- and power amp) sold here in Davao last year. price was P8K, power amp alone was P5K, last price from the traders. could go down to P5K for both/package if sourced from the warehouse. ngayon, wala nang dumadating. (i don't think there will be good-model arrivals in the coming months.) Integras sure look nice, but didn't have high re-sale values in Japan, based on Selword register.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1336 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 06:31 PM »
there was a pair of Integra 506 (pre- and power amp) sold here in Davao last year. price was P8K, power amp alone was P5K, last price from the traders. could go down to P5K for both/package if sourced from the warehouse. ngayon, wala nang dumadating. (i don't think there will be good-model arrivals in the coming months.) Integras sure look nice, but didn't have high re-sale values in Japan, based on Selword register.

Not surprised,   Many of the Luxmans and Sansui's with high resale values are no longer in prodiuction.   I think those integras are still on production since the early 80s as I've seen those VU-metered M-class as late as in last year's Onkyo's catalogue,  the front facade have not really changed much over the years.  Could this be why their earler models don't command high resale prices?  Compared to other brands, these integra separates enjoy a great audiphile standing in Japan and in Europe. 

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1337 on: Sep 08, 2005 at 08:58 PM »
i agree that Onkyo still has a big following among global audio enthusiasts, especially in the US and Europe. but it seems to be losing its appeal to some hifi groups in Japan. here's a site that reviews upscale amps produced in the last 20 years, including US and Brit made (many Japs are also crazy over good-looking British gear regardless of how they sound):
http://tukipie.net/audio/synopsis_of_AMPLIFIER.htm

then, check this list of amp brands and models, sold at commercial-scale (not limited as in the esoteric models), that command high price at Japan's auction markets:
http://homepage1.nifty.com/Logistics/Amp/list.htm

frankly, had i known that importation of good recycled amps would slowdown, i would have bought the Integra 506 combo at the P8K asking price. another amp i failed to buy was a TA4 Nakamichi at P5K. those were simply too good to pass. i actually returned to buy the Integra 506 combo two weeks after i saw it but lost to a Protestant pastor from Cotabato.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1338 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 11:35 AM »
Interesting sites there Sandawa, thanks.  The babelfish translation was a bit off and hardly understandble.  But at least the models and their prices would be a good guide if you're looking for gems to invest in at the pier mall. 

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1339 on: Sep 09, 2005 at 01:04 PM »
the amp review's first two parameters i think, were on technical, and the last two on impressions, to cover accuracy and musicality. check also the way it objectively reviewed the speakers. how our favorite Brit brands/models fared vs. Jap and US counterparts, which more or less confirms what me and you and a few others were saying all along: many Jap-made equipment are superior to comparable European gear.

yes, those sites are good reference for those watching arrivals at the pier. kaya lang, latak na lang daw ang dadating dito sa atin dahil sa competition from China and Vietnam.

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1340 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 10:41 AM »
sir Sandawa,

question lang po regarding Sansui amps.

Which is better, the AUD 607, 707, 907 series or the AU Alpha series? What would you say are the basic differences between the two?

By the way sir... i took back the Sony TA5650 VFET from the store. Its worked at the store when tested. I haven't powered it up at home yet. I am hoping I can get a copy of the manual from Axel of Vintage Knob so that my brod can make adjustments on the bias/DC offset.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2005 at 11:18 AM by Lordfoo »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1341 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 11:19 AM »
the Sansui D series was the regular/commercial line of Sansui hifi that competed favorably with other brands in the US. it's the line that got the world market convinced that Sansui is no hifi pushover (a dedicated Sansui thread in Audio Karma is proof). the premium line during Sansui's prime was the AU-X... series which tried to recapture the tube sound, but with better specs/figures. the Alpha was the last line of Sansui premium hifi - sort of last hurray, so binuhos na ang kaya nilang gawin. since it was manufactured with the best SS components/technology, it was released mostly in the domestic market which has higher purchasing power. Europe had a few units distributed but none in the US and other markets. also the highest Alpha model sold internationally, (901, 911, etc.) was equivalent only to the Alpha 707 series. Alpha amps are quoted highly even at used market, over $1K used for Alpha 607 in the US. my 1995 Hifi Choice has a quote of Alpha 707 at 1,600 pounds brand new (it came our in Japan in 1987) and was even rated by reviewers better than Aleph Pass and some Audio Note amps. they should have reviewed the Alpha 907 series, especially the premium models, which still command an average of over 100,000 yen ($900) used in the Japanese market. the Alpha 907 (original model, same as my unit) was selling only up to 40,000 yen used, the bottom line of the Alpha 907 series. 
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2005 at 11:21 AM by sandawa »

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1342 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 10:39 PM »
Deym!!!

And I always passover the Sansui Alpha units that i see.
Thanks Sir Sandawa!!! You should write a book on your vintage amp experiences!
I wonder If somebody somewhere has already done that.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #1343 on: Sep 18, 2005 at 02:33 PM »
gudpm sirs...anybody seen Nikko amps (NA-890) or hitachi amps (ha5700) sa pier? any analog tuners around? (kenwood kt615 / kt917) or sansui tuner? tnx

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1344 on: Sep 18, 2005 at 07:37 PM »
there were a few Nikkos in Metro Manila back in the '80s but i think there's no amp surplus from Japan of that brand here in Davao or at Manila's pier nowadays. Nikko is a good brand though, especially the separates, but the only website you'd read about it is probably at AK's Vintage Audio. there are a lot of Hitachis among the junks arriving here, however, saw a couple of 5700s and even higher models (very heavy but mostly the silver editions) sold at prices less than those of the more popular brands here in davao these past two years. anyway, Hitachi's Japan domestic brand is Lo-D. there's a good chance you'll find a 5700 under the Lo-D brand at Manila's pier area or from the used hifi shops now.

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1345 on: Sep 18, 2005 at 07:54 PM »
thanx sir sandawa..those models kasi inabutan ko wen i started 80s ... award winners cla 1980 hifi grandprix awards of audiovideo international mag. nov1980....

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1346 on: Sep 18, 2005 at 08:24 PM »
uy, sabay pala tayo. i started also in early '80s and remember vividly those brands. visit the surplus shops and the pier outlets, you wouldn't believe the treasures you'll find there. i was in London in '89 and Jap domestic models back then that British audio enthusiasts could only drool at are sold here now as surplus amps at less that 5% of their original prices. even US audio enthusiasts think we're lucky to have access to those vintage high-end Jap equipment. many of those seriously into hifi believe that equipment made in '70s and '80s were generally superior, technically and sonically, compared with those built since the '90s.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2005 at 08:26 PM by sandawa »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1347 on: Sep 18, 2005 at 08:33 PM »
yup..alala ko i had a hitachi integrated silver nga siya. alala k sams wynns audiophile bulletin today ads household appliances lang ang bilihan aside from raon. baka 1 f ds days magawi pier or visit wundrlust baka pwede pasama s kanya. sir meron din kaya sansui ad?-d11 o sansui au-d11? analog tuners? tnx
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2005 at 09:38 PM by awadeh al »

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1348 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 01:04 AM »
I think I saw some HA amps sa Pier. Can't recall what models but these are not the ones listed in the Japan Nisi listings so i just passed em by. some are even power amps/controllers.. I saw some tuners but i understand that these are set to japanese stations and even if recalibrated, the analog indicators won't be correctly indicating the stations being monitored..

Ano ba sir and Japanese versions nung aud d11?

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1349 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 06:15 AM »
tnx 4 info lordfoo.. i tink sansui au-d907f = au-d11 superfeedforward nfb tech.?
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2005 at 06:16 AM by awadeh al »