Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991078 times)

Offline Lord Foo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #1380 on: Oct 08, 2005 at 03:46 PM »
bro, magkano daw yung NEC A - 10? Yung Onkyo? pareho bang may phono input? Thanks  ;)

Sir Cire2005,

My humble advice po pala.

My experience in buying pier surplus units is that, the phono sections have problems. I have two Sansui AUD 707 that  both performed well with CDs but the phono output is horrible.  The problem in buying units for phono use at the player is that there are no test units at the pier. Maybe the gurus here can advise how to test the turntable section.

Foo.

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1381 on: Oct 08, 2005 at 09:07 PM »
Sir Foo,

totoo yan ha! we should warn Pier buyers to be careful about that. this is also true here in Davao. i have three Sansuis, yung isa (AU-XII - TOTL in early '80s) may problema ang phono section. kung minsan pag uminit nawawala ang signal. also, i have three upscale solid state preamps, all surplus, one has a noisy phono section. i remember Diego also complained about this to me and the shop he bought the unit from does not even have a turntable or LP record to test his amp's phono output.

mukhang one common problem for upscale units from Jap recycling centers is the phono section. siguro galing yan sa mga audiophile/vinyl addicts and instead of repairing those units there (minimum service charge - outside of parts - for a minor problem is 5,000 yen, or a little less than $50) binebenta na lang nila ng por kilo sa recyclers.

kung hindi vinyl inclined ang makakabili, no problem. pero Pinoy analog addicts would be disappointed. the best way for those going to analog who intend to buy at the Pier is to test those amps - puwedeng improvised, hook an RCA connector sa phono jacks and hold the ends, dapat may hum or low frequency sound feedback yung dalawang channels - at pareho ang strength ng volume. the best, however, is to bring a turntable, tulad nung old burger-type portable TT ng Audio Technica.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1382 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 10:08 AM »
My experience in buying pier surplus units is that, the phono sections have problems. I have two Sansui AUD 707 that  both performed well with CDs but the phono output is horrible.

this is because the phono stage has its own preamp inside the amp and due to dissuse for a very long time, the contacts on the selector switch would have been tarnished, cleaning with wd40 may help. besides the eletros in the phono preamps may need to be replaced. you can order replacement caps from farnell or rs, panasonic low esr's are a good choice, bypassing with polypropylene caps can do wonders!
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline bruno

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1383 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 10:22 AM »
this is because the phono stage has its own preamp inside the amp and due to dissuse for a very long time, the contacts on the selector switch would have been tarnished, cleaning with wd40 may help. besides the eletros in the phono preamps may need to be replaced. you can order replacement caps from farnell or rs, panasonic low esr's are a good choice, bypassing with polypropylene caps can do wonders!

WD40?!  I will never use WD40 for the contacts of any switch.  I'll use a good contact cleaner instead.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1384 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 10:37 AM »
WD40?!  I will never use WD40 for the contacts of any switch.  I'll use a good contact cleaner instead.

it's your call. contact cleaners could be either freon based, or tce based, wd40 is oil based, so when using this material be sure to wipe off any excess as it can attract dusts. isoprophyl alcohol can also be used. i have also tried lighter fluids with good results. as always clean off any excess!

but ultimately, the best thing to do is to replace that switch if replacement could be found!
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1385 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 02:02 PM »

haven't tried this yet, but thanks for the advice - especially contact cleaning. i know WD40 has been frowned upon by electronics technicians in the US, but we don't have Caig DeoOxits here (January pa dadating yung order ko). i'm no techie, so, i still use WD40 and Electra for contact cleaning. pag hindi umubra yung isa, lipat sa kabilang brand.     

Offline jackryan

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • http://www.reefphilippines.com http://uaaph.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #1386 on: Oct 09, 2005 at 03:18 PM »
haven't tried this yet, but thanks for the advice - especially contact cleaning. i know WD40 has been frowned upon by electronics technicians in the US, but we don't have Caig DeoOxits here (January pa dadating yung order ko). i'm no techie, so, i still use WD40 and Electra for contact cleaning. pag hindi umubra yung isa, lipat sa kabilang brand.     

I saw an add at a local hardware for Mr. McKenic 9-in-1 Technology Oil... supposedly can do the following:

1. waterproofing of electrical equipment
2. cleans circuit boards
3. instant penetration (not for humans) ;-)
4. windstands high temp
5. removes stubborn stains
6. lubricates & cleans carbons (for guns)
7. cleans & lubricates fans
8. lubrication of door hinges
9. acts as a coolant (?)
10. cleans & polishes stainless steel
11. cleans battery contacts
12. anti-rust protection
13. non-flammable & cleans running motor
14. cleans contact point
15. can be used for marine boats & motor vehicles (?)

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1387 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 08:54 AM »

sir,

my thoughts exatly... though I use a dose of WD40 first, then a healthy dose of Elektra (I always remember Jennifer Garner when I say Elektra  ;D). does wonders to contacts indeed.

my  Php0.000001 cents

PS... also had great success with a certain Carbuerator Cleaner, not very friendly with some plastics though.  :(

:)

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #1388 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 09:44 AM »
Sir Cire2005,

My humble advice po pala.

My experience in buying pier surplus units is that, the phono sections have problems. I have two Sansui AUD 707 that  both performed well with CDs but the phono output is horrible.  The problem in buying units for phono use at the player is that there are no test units at the pier. Maybe the gurus here can advise how to test the turntable section.

Foo.

thanks for the heads up sir... ;D

Hey, that's my bike!

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #1389 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 11:50 AM »
jackryan,

have also tried that Mckenic something for cleaning and it's good indeed, but beware... some plastics don't like what's in that can too. just a heads up sir.

Offline audiobyte

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1390 on: Oct 17, 2005 at 10:09 PM »
Agree w/ Bruno. Never use WD-40 in switches because it's basically an insulator and will increase line resistance. The best contact cleaner to use is Philips. It cleans the contacts and then lubricates them to reduce  wear and tear. That's why it's the only one they use in Sony sevice centers.
Listen to the music...not to the equipment!

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1391 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 06:55 AM »
I saw two top of the line units at the pier in the past three weeks:

A Sansui AUD907Fextra and a Trio (kenwood) ka9900.  I didnt have the money to get them though.  Later I returned with the money. As expected both units were gone to some lucky audiophiles.

I decided to finally buy two units i have been eyeing before at the Pier surplus area for the same amount I earmarked for either of the two TOTLs.

I brought home a Yamaha CA1000 and a sony VFET4650.
The Yammie was a TOTL also when it was released while the VFET is a rare unit buyers should be wary of. The VFET parts when damaged can not be replaced and the units become junkyard metal.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/VFET/VFET-main.html

http://www.thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/CA1000/CA1000.html

Both amps are listed at the vintage knob.

Foo

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1392 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 07:01 AM »
wow! ang bilis naman ng nakakuha.. hope i'll get a good amp for my TT when i go there  :-\
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline gutchy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1393 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 11:29 AM »
sir my friend was the one who got the AU-907F last saturday for P4.6K.. nagulat lng kmi dahil mura usually higher wattage medyo mataas cla magbigay.. here's the list of amp na pinagpipilian nmn at that time:

1. Marantz PM-84 - P5.5K
2. Sansui AU-907F - P4.6K
3. Yamaha CA-1000 - P4K
4. Sony VFET 3650 and 4650 - P2.5K

we went back there to get the Yamaha pero nakuha na raw nung morning kc gabi na kmi pumunta..

sir review nmn sa mga nakuha mong amp.. hows the sound of CA-1000 in class A mode and the VFET of Sony? meron pa dun VFET 3650..

Thanks!

Offline rustyns

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1394 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 12:23 PM »
sir my friend was the one who got the AU-907F last saturday for P4.6K.. nagulat lng kmi dahil mura usually higher wattage medyo mataas cla magbigay.. here's the list of amp na pinagpipilian nmn at that time:

1. Marantz PM-84 - P5.5K
2. Sansui AU-907F - P4.6K
3. Yamaha CA-1000 - P4K
4. Sony VFET 3650 and 4650 - P2.5K

we went back there to get the Yamaha pero nakuha na raw nung morning kc gabi na kmi pumunta..

sir review nmn sa mga nakuha mong amp.. hows the sound of CA-1000 in class A mode and the VFET of Sony? meron pa dun VFET 3650..

Thanks!

Hello bro gutchy,

Wow! Ganda siguro ng tunog niyang au-907f. 8)  

BTW, hindi yata VFET yung 3650 (according to Axel ng AK).

Rusty

Offline gutchy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1395 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 01:31 PM »
Ganda nga ng tunog compared it with NAD 320 and scott 229B.. para syang tube with power specially sa bass region ganda ng response..  detailed ung mid and less sibilance sa high there's a silence in every note.. pati ung wife ng friend ko na hindi mahilig sa music nagandahan.. ung NAD ang gamit nya hindi nappreciate ng wife nya ung tunog.. Kya nga ako rin mag-aabang ng AU-907.. inggit ako dun sa friend ko.. end of october pa raw ung next shiftment nila.. hunting ulit!!!

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1396 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 05:44 PM »
buti pa kayo dyan may magagandang dumadating. that's the correct pricing for those amps, from P10 to P15 per watt (based on power consumption at the back). yan ang dating presyo dito sa Davao nung marami pa rito, ngayon mahal na yung magaganda - at wala nang malalaki na dumadating.

true, the Sony 3650 is not part of the much sought after VFET batch. yang si Axel (Paris-based) bilib na bilib sa Pinoy kasi daw bakit ang daming audio collectors' items dito sa atin. nagkwento ako sa kanya na sikat na sikat sa Philippine hifi boards ang site niya: http://www.thevintageknob.org/ hindi niya alam puro Jap surplus yung mga units natin. mahal sa kanila yan, yung iba sa Audio Karma naghahanap ng lumang VFET willing to pay up to $500 each for the TA-4650. the Marantz PM-84 is good buy for P5.5K, baka puwede pang tawaran: http://www.quarter-a.netfirms.com/pm-84.htm

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1397 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 06:31 PM »
sir gutchy, have u tried connecting to the phono connection? hows the performance?
pa-feedback naman po...thanks! :)
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1398 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 06:46 PM »
buti pa kayo dyan may magagandang dumadating. that's the correct pricing for those amps, from P10 to P15 per watt (based on power consumption at the back). yan ang dating presyo dito sa Davao nung marami pa rito, ngayon mahal na yung magaganda - at wala nang malalaki na dumadating.

true, the Sony 3650 is not part of the much sought after VFET batch. yang si Axel (Paris-based) bilib na bilib sa Pinoy kasi daw bakit ang daming audio collectors' items dito sa atin. nagkwento ako sa kanya na sikat na sikat sa Philippine hifi boards ang site niya: http://www.thevintageknob.org/ hindi niya alam puro Jap surplus yung mga units natin. mahal sa kanila yan, yung iba sa Audio Karma naghahanap ng lumang VFET willing to pay up to $500 each for the TA-4650. the Marantz PM-84 is good buy for P5.5K, baka puwede pang tawaran: http://www.quarter-a.netfirms.com/pm-84.htm

Sir  Sandawa,

I sent AXEL a longish explanation of the Surplus amp scenario in the Philippines as far as I know.  He asked what I meant by "surplus" in an email to me about the VFET TA4650 that i registered in his Vintage Knob site. So he is now aware of the surplus scenario.

Sir Gutchy,

Haha. So it was your friend who got the TOTL AUD907Fextra.  I hope he's also a member of this forum.  He's much quicker than I am. Give him our congratulations on a nice amp for a very good price. 

The TA3650 is indeed not a VFET. Its the TA4650, TA5650, and TA8650. Please don't pay much money for these units at the pier. Tell the sales guys that its very risky to buy these units because the VFET parts are not replaceable and their liable to get damaged. heheh. Let's not push up the prices.

I haven't hooked up the CA1000 yet until I've had the alignments and adjustments done. However, Sir Sandawa has a Yamaha CA1000iii which is very similar and he's mighty fond of his unit - and so are the Audio Karma guys.

Sir Cire,

So you haven't sourced an amp with a good phono yet? Let's ask Sir RNS to test  his TA5650's phono stage. I know he has one with him. Maybe the VFET also matches well with Turntables. I have heard the VFET with Sony CDPes players and they are absolutely, stupendously nice.  :D. (my humble opinon po!)

Foo.

« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2005 at 07:06 PM by Lord Foo »

Online bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1399 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 09:41 PM »
Sirs,

Meron ba tayong mga shops na nagre-restore ng mga vintage amps?

Offline rustyns

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1400 on: Oct 21, 2005 at 11:54 PM »
Sir Lordfoo,

I agree that in my very limited vintage audio experience, I have not heard a sweeter sounding vintage ss amp than the sony ta5650 when used with a cdp (sony cdp333esd). -except for maybe the Marantz Esotec PM6 - wasn't able to compare side-by-side

I have tried using an entry level Marantz turntable with some vintage amps. This is the list of amps I listened to. It is arranged according to how nice it sounds (IMHO)
1. Sansui 5000x (very nice)
2. Pioneer sa9500 (ok)
3. Sony TA5650 (weak and noisy)

Here are some theories I have on why the TA5650 is at the bottom.
-Its phono stage is really bad as discussed by some guys in AK
-Both the 5000x and sa9500 have been thoroughly cleaned then recapped(replaced electrolytic caps)
-just a "matching" issue

As usual, these are just my thoughts and opinions. I guess you have to try it yourself and let your ears decide.  ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2005 at 08:06 AM by rustyns »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1401 on: Oct 22, 2005 at 10:47 AM »
AK members are having a ball. there are two VFETs - Sony TA4650 and Sony TA5650 - on US eBay, the seller seems unaware of his units' demand and is starting at very low floor price. my suspicion is that the seller is also from AK testing the waters, so to speak.

Offline Jakob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1402 on: Oct 22, 2005 at 10:42 PM »
OT:

sirs,

what tuners are available sa pier, and how much? what are the brands/model ang pwede na? what are the things i should look out for?

ey japan standard nga pala ang mga surplus tuner sa pier  >:( , kelangan pa yata re-channel (?).

Offline shuttertrigger

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1403 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 07:38 AM »
thanks sir lordfoo and rustyns for the feedback will keep your advice in my mind once i am going to purchase one..Mabuhay po kayo! ;D
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #1404 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 09:30 AM »
OT:

sirs,

what tuners are available sa pier, and how much? what are the brands/model ang pwede na? what are the things i should look out for?

ey japan standard nga pala ang mga surplus tuner sa pier  >:( , kelangan pa yata re-channel (?).

When I visited the pier last June, there were stacks of tuners in one stall, most were flagship models during their time.    The sales guy said there were not yet rechanneled, but they'd gladly rechannel the tuner of your choice at no additional cost. 
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2005 at 09:52 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1405 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 10:18 AM »
Mga Sirs,

Ako po iyung nakabili ng Sansui AU-D907F sa tulong ni Sir Gutchy. Akala ko pangit iyun pala ... Yun di ang sinabi ko sa Yamaha CA-1000 noong dumaan kami ni Sir Gutchy sa Pier noong nakaraang Martes ... Pagtingin ko sa niji the ff: day ganda pala nung CA-1000. Noong binalikan ko that day wala na raw. Noong umaga kinuha iyung Sony TA-4650 at Yamaha CA-1000. Mahirap talaga magsalita ng "pangit". Nakakadalawa na ako (buti na lang noong una nakuha ko iyung Sansui). Sa susunod uling shipment sa Pier hinding hindi na ako magpapalagpas at ... wala nang salitang "pangit"...

BTW, mayroon din palang surplus shop sa Bulacan ... Dumaan ako noong Saturday at nakakita ako ng ... Sansui AU-D907 ... Php 2800 lang ... Unahan uli ...
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2005 at 10:30 AM by rascal101 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1406 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 10:45 AM »
BTW, mayroon din palang surplus shop sa Bulacan

saan sa bulacan? can you give directions please?

congrats, you have one fine amp!http://amp8.jp/sansui/907/d907fe-2.htm

Online bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1407 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 11:09 AM »
BTW, mayroon din palang surplus shop sa Bulacan ... Dumaan ako noong Saturday at nakakita ako ng ... Sansui AU-D907 ... Php 2800 lang ... Unahan uli ...

The second generation of the 07 Series.  Introduced the "Diamond Differential DC (DD/DC) Circuit".  As the results, improved the total harmonic distortion to 0.008% from that of 0.03% on AU-707.  The international version, AU-919 was equivalent to top of the line product, AU-D907.  Frequency response DC ~ 500KHz, 100W + 100W into 8 Ohms within 0.008% (10Hz ~ 20KHz).  AU-D907 was sold at about $550.00.

-Best of Sansui

0.008% THD :o Super-FI na ito.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1408 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 11:16 AM »
Sir Bumblebee,

Nag su surplus amps ka na rin ba?

Online bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1409 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 11:19 AM »
Sir Bumblebee,

Nag su surplus amps ka na rin ba?

I'm still looking, saving ;D But that Php2800 Sansui is very tempting. Sana sa December e, up for sale pa yan.