Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991084 times)

Offline aHobbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #1620 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 02:46 PM »
i doubt i can do this myself but ill try sir ahobbit, tnx.

question sir, what if i cant find the prob myself can u point me to a good amp doctor?  ::)

tnx mga sir appreciate it! ;)

if you are near any EVER Gotesco mall, try LOVE electronics or any electronic repair shop inside the mall.

If you are near Aurora Cubao, try Betacolor repair shop

If you are near 2ny place, then go to him.
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline arizton

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1621 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 08:31 PM »
if you are near any EVER Gotesco mall, try LOVE electronics or any electronic repair shop inside the mall.

If you are near Aurora Cubao, try Betacolor repair shop

If you are near 2ny place, then go to him.

i think there's an ever gotesco in recto & aurora cubao is just one ride from my place but ill ask sir 2ny first.
sir ahobbit thank you, appreciate it! :)

sir do hv the contact no of sir 2ny pala?

Offline parasmi

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1622 on: Jan 27, 2006 at 09:44 PM »
after several trips to the pier and going home empty handed, i finally got myself this......

Sansui AU-D707F extra....condition 8/10.....performance ???? (will hook it up this weekend pa lang)  ;D

also sighted and considered were the following

Sansui AU-D707X decade - dropped it kasi more than 3k price difference nya from the 707 extra
Marantz PM-80 - looks impressive kaya lang wala ako masyado info about it.

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1623 on: Jan 28, 2006 at 08:29 AM »
looks like the traders are monitoring our posts here, or at the PinoyAudio website. still, the difference in price between the 707F extra and the 707X-decade should not go beyond P1K. if it was a 907X decade, pwede ang P3K difference. hope they read this, so they would adjust their price.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1624 on: Jan 28, 2006 at 01:16 PM »
I regret missing out on Sir Wanderlust's 907XDecade...

I have both the AUD707GEXTRA and the XDECADE. (for a still unrealized bi-amping project)

The difference in audio performance is very evident. The lows are lower and the highs are higher for the XDECADE and the sellers I  believe, know the difference. They base their price on the power consumption indicated at the back of the unit. The xdecade has 320watts and the GExtra has 270watts indicated at the back.

Look at the Back of an AUD707GEXtra. Its made of copper or brass while the XDECADE's back panel is painted black. I am not sure if it is also brass. I also note that the front panel of the 707FExtra of Sir Parasmi is silver (Sir Parasmi bakit po ang gaganda yata ng mga audio equipment na dumadaan sa mga kamay mo?).

I got my Xdecade for a lower price though because the wood casing was totally dilapidated. I replaced it with old narra wood I removed from my mother's wall paneling. I just stained the narra a little darker to approximate the dark mahogany finish of the original amp's particle board casing.  It looks better now with real philippine wood.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2006 at 01:25 PM by Lord Foo »

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #1625 on: Jan 28, 2006 at 02:10 PM »

They base their price on the power consumption indicated at the back of the unit. The xdecade has 320watts and the GExtra has 270watts indicated at the back.

sirs, is that the standard practice for buy and sell or just at the pier? "IF" my gears were from the pier, then how much would they cost???

sansui BA-2000, power consumption  480 watts (rated) 910 watts (maximum) as indicated at the back  :(
pioneer A-91 D, power consumption, a whooping 1000 watts   :( :(

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1626 on: Jan 28, 2006 at 03:53 PM »
The xdecade has 320watts and the GExtra has 270watts indicated at the back.

this is the rating of the total wattage of appliances you can connect to the outlets at the back of the amps, no relation to actual performance.

Look at the Back of an AUD707GEXtra. Its made of copper or brass while the XDECADE's back panel is painted black.

actually it's copper plated cold rolled steel plate, while the other is painted black.

sansui BA-2000, power consumption  480 watts (rated) 910 watts (maximum) as indicated at the back 
pioneer A-91 D, power consumption, a whooping 1000 watts   

again this is not about power output, but gives some clues as to capacity. for lack of any other basis, sellers use this figures for convinience. is not a true measure of the amps' capabilities

That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1627 on: Jan 28, 2006 at 10:37 PM »
this is the rating of the total wattage of appliances you can connect to the outlets at the back of the amps, no relation to actual performance.

Hi 2ny. Magandang gabi po.

I always thought that the wattage of the other components u can connect to the outlets is different from the power consumption rating. Aren't these the wattages indicated right below the power outlets on the far right of the back of the amp? The ones indicating switcced and unswitched on the far right.

What then is the wattage figure (270 watts) indicated right below the serial number at the center of the back of the amp? I always thought that they referred to the power consumption.  I used to divide the power consumption by two to get a ballpark estimate of the RMS rating of the amp.

« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2006 at 10:44 PM by Lord Foo »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1628 on: Jan 29, 2006 at 08:09 AM »
hi,

the only sure way to know the power rating of the amp is to look for catalogues in the net. then if you do not have that, load testing the amp using 8 or 4ohm dummy load is the other way.

there was a time when the power consumption of appliances sold in the us were required to indicate ratings at the back, to give consumers a choice and so that they will be aware of how much energy is required. call it energy conservation.

if you are an ece engineer then you may open the hood and inspect the power supply, the main filter caps for example will give you an idea right away, measuring the rail voltages will give you a better idea, then dummy load testing.
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1629 on: Jan 29, 2006 at 06:17 PM »
What then is the wattage figure (270 watts) indicated right below the serial number at the center of the back of the amp? I always thought that they referred to the power consumption.  I used to divide the power consumption by two to get a ballpark estimate of the RMS rating of the amp.

it is the power consumption anticipated by the manufacturer that you will ever use with this amp. and with good speakers, i doubt you will ever see this power comsumed, more like 20 to 50 watts is realistic even with volumes at high levels.

notice also that your power cord is of the "dinky" type, what, a gage 18 or more often a gage20, so those power ratings are to remind you of limitations that you have to observe if you want to stay within safety limits.

Offline parasmi

• Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1630 on: Jan 30, 2006 at 03:19 PM »

Look at the Back of an AUD707GEXtra. Its made of copper or brass while the XDECADE's back panel is painted black. I am not sure if it is also brass. I also note that the front panel of the 707FExtra of Sir Parasmi is silver (Sir Parasmi bakit po ang gaganda yata ng mga audio equipment na dumadaan sa mga kamay mo?).

I got my Xdecade for a lower price though because the wood casing was totally dilapidated. I replaced it with old narra wood I removed from my mother's wall paneling. I just stained the narra a little darker to approximate the dark mahogany finish of the original amp's particle board casing.  It looks better now with real philippine wood.

nakakahanap ng mga good deals at tyempo tyempo lang, sir foo  ;D

what prompted me to buy the sansui, aside for the model, was its condition. super kinis pa talaga! may konting gasgas lang sa steel casing which can easily be fixed with the use of a spray paint. Some nicks at the bottom of the side panels but still in very good shape 

When I went to the pier last Friday, I was planning to buy the AU-555A which I saw a couple of trips back after losing the AU-777 (the first SS amp model of Sansui I think) to a lucky buyer. Pero umikot-ikot muna ako baka may mga bago na dumating. Kaya ayun, I ended up with the 707Fextra  ;D

here's a shot of its interior

Offline Vhongbiker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Addict
  • musika atbp.
  • Liked:
« Reply #1631 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 06:02 AM »
after several trips to the pier and going home empty handed, i finally got myself this......

Sansui AU-D707F extra....condition 8/10.....performance ???? (will hook it up this weekend pa lang)  ;D

also sighted and considered were the following

Sansui AU-D707X decade - dropped it kasi more than 3k price difference nya from the 707 extra
Marantz PM-80 - looks impressive kaya lang wala ako masyado info about it.

Mukhang may mga bagong dating ah!
swerte mo bro, ang kinis pa. ;)
how much kuha mo?
Pray not for a lighter burden,
but for a stronger back....

Offline parasmi

• Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1632 on: Jan 31, 2006 at 03:08 PM »
4k, sir  ;D

Offline parasmi

• Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1633 on: Feb 08, 2006 at 01:50 PM »
Thanks to eBay, sold my 707 for $123  ;D (may tubo pa)

Thinking that I will use the proceeds to buy the 707X decade, I went back to the pier. But when I got there.....it was sold already   :'(

Will visit again next week baka may mga bago. If none, I'll probably get the same model (black faceplate) or the Onkyo.

Anyone been to the pier lately? Baka may mga sightings kayo dyan paki share na lang  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2006 at 06:34 AM by parasmi »

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1634 on: Feb 09, 2006 at 10:51 PM »
Sir Parasmi, I visited the pier today.
Unfortunately, the sellers told me that there have been no arrivals lately.
The only nice amp i saw was a pair of Sansui AU5900. Black faced, they looked fairly new. Too low powered for me though so i left empty handed.

Visited a thrift shop and went home with a nice looking pair of Lovan stands.

Foo.
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2006 at 10:59 PM by Lord Foo »

Offline parasmi

• Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1635 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 06:49 AM »
Saw them too. Yes you're right sir Foo, though they still look new, the power output seems to be a drawback.

Offline agmjr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1636 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 08:05 AM »
i have a surplus cdp and amp. gusto ko sana i-convert ito to 220v so as to prevent any accident. can anyone endorse a good and reasonable shop that can do this? tia

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1637 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 08:14 AM »
easy, have your technician pull out the transformers from the cdp and amps, taking note of the leads, cutting them so that a small part protrudes is a good idea, likewise write them down of a piece of paper for future refference.

now the transformers, you can bring to "Podmoon" in Legarda, look for Nelia,  for rewind and conversion to 220 volts, they have extensive rewinding experience and they have been in bussiness for about 50 years now.

this may cost you around 500bucks, i would say worth the money as you will spend twice or 4x that amount should an accident happen.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2006 at 08:16 AM by 2ny »

Offline agmjr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1638 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 09:32 AM »
@ sir 2ny

ty po.  can i let podmoon do the removing of the transformer? saan po ba ito sa legarda?

btw, yung amp ko which is a denon pma 390 iii ata, pumipitik yung selection of inputs at various stages pag naka power on sya (palipat lipat ng sources), although mag stastabilize naman after a while. normal po ba yun? ang alam ko kasi eh hindi siya automatic na gagalaw unless ilipat mo ng source physically from the knob or remote (pero wala itong remote). any technician that you know that can do the job? tia again

Offline einnoc2

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1639 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 08:03 PM »
sir:

i have been to the pier last week and i saw the following amps:

marantz pm 80
victor AX-S900
sansui alpha 607i
sansui 707F Extra

i was planning to buy one but i have no idea which one to get.  please advise which one is the best among these four. thanks a lot for your help.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1640 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 08:38 PM »
@ sir 2ny

ty po.  can i let podmoon do the removing of the transformer? saan po ba ito sa legarda?

btw, yung amp ko which is a denon pma 390 iii ata, pumipitik yung selection of inputs at various stages pag naka power on sya (palipat lipat ng sources), although mag stastabilize naman after a while. normal po ba yun? ang alam ko kasi eh hindi siya automatic na gagalaw unless ilipat mo ng source physically from the knob or remote (pero wala itong remote). any technician that you know that can do the job? tia again

Podmon is along the road, right after bustillos towards mendiola.
WRT you denon, you can try cleaning the contacts of the selector switches. i am not too familliar with your unit, but if it is logic type, sometimes it scans the inputs for possible signal.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1641 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 08:45 PM »
as per re-sale value at Yahoo Japan (estimated current average prices):

1. Marantz PM-80 = 16,000 yen
2. Sansui Alpha 607i = 10,000 yen
3. Sansui 707F = 10,000 yen
4. JVC AX-S900 = 6,000 yen

here's a repair website for a junk PM-80 with photos: http://amp8.com/sub/tr-amp/marantz/pm-80.htm

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2006 at 08:52 PM by sandawa »

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1642 on: Feb 10, 2006 at 08:53 PM »
I didn't see any 707Fextra yesterday. (God knows I scrutinized every damn amp in every damn store in the damn place.  ;D Sir Parasmi must have bought the one einnoc2 (connie?) is referring to.

Sir Sandawa, how would the AUD707Fextra stack up against the alpha607i? The alpha is better than the AUD right?

regards,
Foo

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1643 on: Feb 11, 2006 at 09:47 AM »
i don't know. i never had those amps. what i have now are 907F and alpha 907iMos. considering price quotes at Yahoo Japan for the two are almost the same (although alpha 607i is 90wpc while 707F is 105wpc, if i'm not mistaken) i probably would check my wallet, trust my ear and if it can't decide, toss a coin. that's assuming the price difference between the two is negligible. i think you're planning something not directly related to the question, acquiring another toy this weekend, perhaps?

BTW, saw your post on the Pioneer SA-810 at AK yesterday. it's the slightly bigger brother to the SA-710 i bought early last year at P700 bucks, good vintage gear, conservative power rating, nice wood cover - but should come cheap, probably not more than 5 times my acquisition cost!
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2006 at 09:56 AM by sandawa »

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1644 on: Feb 11, 2006 at 08:38 PM »
Hi Sir Sandawa,

(Medyo out of topic pero in response to the question, "you're planning something not directly related to the question, acquiring another toy this weekend, perhaps?")

Actually, I was hoping that an AR3a I was eyeing was still available at an audio sthop. Unfortunately it was gone when I came back for it.

I did get a new receiver a few hours ago. Remember my acquisition of a Sansui Quad QRX9001 Recever early this year? I am very fond of that unit and my interest in QUAD receivers have been kindled. I later dilly dallied in acquiring another TOTL QUAD Receiver, a Kenwood KR9040. It had problems with the right channel so I didn't get it. When I decided to get it. It was gone.

Today, I had the option of getting another TOTL QUAD receiver, a QRX949a. I didn't dilly dally this time. When I tested it at home, the sound output rivalled my 9001. I played a CD of Redentor Romero... I've never heard his violin so clear and brilliant with the pioneer. The Phone stage was also very good. However, one of four channels failed to produce an output. I hope i am able to have the problematic channel repaired.

The pictures and specs of the 949a are posted at the Vintage Knob. I will post pictures of my 949 later at the pioneer thread.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/PIONEER/QX949/QX949.html

http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/pics/qx949.jpg
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2006 at 08:46 PM by Lord Foo »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1645 on: Feb 12, 2006 at 12:58 PM »
hi,

the fact that you are still able to use that amp after 30 years says volumes about the quality of pioneer amps.

4channel system came out but was short lived as the audio public did not support it that much, the way they did 2 channel stereo. it would be interesting to be able to use that on a 4 channel vynil disks.
« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2006 at 01:00 PM by 2ny »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1646 on: Feb 12, 2006 at 02:37 PM »
foo,

swerte mo naman sa mga quads. baka makakita ka ng quad-capable TT and cartridge, maganda nga yan sa quadraphonic disks. two quads in just two months, probably 6 quad units before the year is over ;). you'll be the Philippine version of QuadBob. how, about QuadFoo, or QuadLord? sounds good ;D

Offline gob

• DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
« Reply #1647 on: Feb 14, 2006 at 10:43 PM »
sa ngayon meron pa kayang available na Luxman LV-103 sa pier?
:D

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1648 on: Feb 15, 2006 at 01:23 AM »
I was at the pier last week... I didn't see any Luxman... Luxmans are sold very quickly.

Offline gob

• DVD Addict
  • rock n roll
  • Liked:
« Reply #1649 on: Feb 15, 2006 at 11:09 PM »
sana maka tyempo rin ako ng lv-103.  i wonder kung nagkakaron pa nito sa davao
:D