Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991069 times)

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #1950 on: Feb 18, 2007 at 02:23 PM »
Ako rin nalilito since the UK3II looks the same and different to both the A400 and A400X. And it's also rare, you don't find it in most Jap hifi directories, kahit sa auction market. My hunch is that after the a400X, the Japs went back to a simple A400-based amp that was never sold in UK. That amp became the limited edition UK3II with "Simple and Straight" circuitry. The headphone jack and the bi-wire speaker terminals were removed. If you look at the front panel and the innards, nothing much changed, however.

By the way the domestic version of the A400 or A400X (A-UK3) didn't sell well in Japan as per auction records, roughly 10,000 yen used. I think that reflects the difference in sonic preference of whites and oriental ears and their listening environments. They use heavy bricks in cold and quiet UK homes, while we use lighter materials in our warm and, sometimes, noisy rooms due to airconditioners. That makes a significant difference in my opinion.

Here again is my unit:

thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline parasmi

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1951 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 07:28 AM »
congrats rene! mukhang di mo na pinalampas ang pagkakataon, sugod kaagad sa pier  ;D 2.1K??? buena mano price ba? di pa ata nagbubukas si koya nakaabang ka na dun ahihihi

si parasmi nga ang nag-tip sa akin. baka ayaw niya kasi walang nakalagay na "simple and straight" ;D

pioneer a-uk3 is either the jap version of the a-400 or a-400x, whatever, oks lang ;D

btw, its got 2 sets of speaker terminals marked for biwiring - the top set-HF, the lower set-LF.

got it for 2.1k pero sira yung power button (always ON) no big deal.

tnx mike! :) :) :)

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #1952 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 07:48 AM »
congrats rene! mukhang di mo na pinalampas ang pagkakataon, sugod kaagad sa pier  ;D 2.1K??? buena mano price ba? di pa ata nagbubukas si koya nakaabang ka na dun ahihihi

tnx! basta tip ni sir parasmi di dapat palampasin. kaw kasi wala lang tatak "simple and straight" ayaw mo na! as is kasi kaya medyo binabaan.

sandawa,

only diffs b/w a-uk3 and a-uk3ii are

1)"simple and straight" on the front panel
2) "wide range linear circuit" vs. "stereo integrated amplifier"  on the front panel
3) 2 sets vs. 1 set  of speaker terminals

time to enjoy this baby and just leave it at that- whatever intl. model our jap amps correspond to it still sounds the way we expected it - clean and clear with lots of punch ;D
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2007 at 07:55 AM by oweidah »

Offline aHobbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1953 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 10:22 AM »
By the way the domestic version of the A400 or A400X (A-UK3) didn't sell well in Japan as per auction records, roughly 10,000 yen used. I think that reflects the difference in sonic preference of whites and oriental ears and their listening environments. They use heavy bricks in cold and quiet UK homes, while we use lighter materials in our warm and, sometimes, noisy rooms due to airconditioners. That makes a significant difference in my opinion.

From my previous reading ... due to high real estate cost in Japan ... Japanese do not typically have big homes (like ours or in UK) ... so majority of them are typically near-field listeners ... so choices in Japan have this listening mode in consideration is standard purchases!

Congrats on NEC A-10IV
« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2007 at 10:25 AM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1954 on: Feb 19, 2007 at 11:45 PM »
sandawa,

seems we're in good company with these user reviews of the a400/a400x
http://www.audioreview.com/Amplifiers/Pioneer+400X/PRD_116076_1583crx.aspx#review0

swerte makakakuha neto sansui au7700 @2.8k or less. congrats!
umextra pa sa movie - hi fidelity/john cussack

here's a review of its bigger bro au7900
http://www.reviewcentre.com/review7229.html

« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2007 at 05:44 AM by oweidah »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1955 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 04:51 AM »
From my previous reading ... due to high real estate cost in Japan ... Japanese do not typically have big homes (like ours or in UK) ... so majority of them are typically near-field listeners ... so choices in Japan have this listening mode in consideration is standard purchases!

Congrats on NEC A-10IV

Thanks. I don't think space constraint was the reason why the A400 series wasn't a hit in Japan. This model sounds good on small space listening environment, so it was more on oriental ears' preference, I think. But true, the buying preference for a big segment of the Jap market is biased in favor of smaller, not necessarily inferior, gear.

I've made an A/B comparisons of A-10IV (60wpc @ 8 ohms) and A-UK3II (60wpc @ 4 ohms) using same pairs of speakers and on several speakers. It was no match. The A-10 was so smooth and with tighter bass from 1 watt up.

Rene,

The AU-7700 was the one I was asking you to buy for me from the Pier two years ago after I got the Sansui AU-70. The price, if I remember correctly, was also about that range.

« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2007 at 03:28 PM by sandawa »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1956 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 05:25 AM »
Rene,

The AU-7700 was the one I was asking you to buy for me from the Pier two years ago. The price, if I remember correctly was also about that range.

nani,

di ko tinest, kilatis yung au700 coz #1-wala budget dala, auk3 talaga pinunta ko pier. in fact, i was in touch with parasmi, told him na na-attract ako sa au7700 while the seller was setting up the auk3 for demo. hehehe muntik na malihis ang bili but reason #2- kararating pa lang daw nung au7700 maluwag yung upperleft knob (selector) at may cracking sound pa for minor repair daw so i passed.

sensha tumatanda malilimutin na. alala ko we talked 'bout gas ampzilla lang ;D

Offline kefq

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #1957 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 11:46 AM »
Hey guys, went to pier last weekend and got a 1974 SS Amp (Onkyo Integra A-755 MK2 / 70 Stereo Amplifier), hooked it up with my KEFQ1 and NAD C520 CDP and then I played Diana Krall.

The "MK2" caught my attention, anyone has experience with this model? I was blown away after playing Diana Krall, as if she was singing infront of me. The sound became laid back, talk about imaging.

Offline parasmi

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • i'm D-E-A-F !!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1958 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 01:25 PM »
uy! matagal ko na rin pinupuntirya yan kaso wala lang mapaglagyan

http://www.thevintageknob.org/THEVAULT/onkyo1975/onkyo1975.html

axel (of thevintageknob) is clueless as to what the nII stands for

Hey guys, went to pier last weekend and got a 1974 SS Amp (Onkyo Integra A-755 MK2 / 70 Stereo Amplifier), hooked it up with my KEFQ1 and NAD C520 CDP and then I played Diana Krall.

The "MK2" caught my attention, anyone has experience with this model? I was blown away after playing Diana Krall, as if she was singing infront of me. The sound became laid back, talk about imaging.

Offline kefq

• DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
« Reply #1959 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 01:38 PM »
uy! matagal ko na rin pinupuntirya yan kaso wala lang mapaglagyan

http://www.thevintageknob.org/THEVAULT/onkyo1975/onkyo1975.html

axel (of thevintageknob) is clueless as to what the nII stands for

The amp in the bottom is the A-755 nII (Though not sure this might be the first release), similar in looks but mine is the MKII. Very happy with this amp ;D.  Another member of wiredstate has the same amp A-755 MKII and is also a happy owner. He use this to drive his B&W 601S2 and hooked it up with a Rotel CDP.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1960 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 02:15 PM »
you'll find the difference between the two at the plala site: http://www11.plala.or.jp/se_ke5583/ONKYO/amp/index.html

Offline kefq

• DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
« Reply #1961 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 02:33 PM »
you'll find the difference between the two at the plala site: http://www11.plala.or.jp/se_ke5583/ONKYO/amp/index.html

Thanksbro for the link. .

Offline Jairus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1962 on: Feb 20, 2007 at 06:53 PM »
The amp in the bottom is the A-755 nII (Though not sure this might be the first release), similar in looks but mine is the MKII. Very happy with this amp ;D.  Another member of wiredstate has the same amp A-755 MKII and is also a happy owner. He use this to drive his B&W 601S2 and hooked it up with a Rotel CDP.

Nice find bro  ;)
B&W603 S3
Yaqin MC100B; Sony 337ESD; TRIO KP700 TT; MF VLPS

Offline kefq

• DVD Guru
  • Ethical Hacker
  • Liked:
« Reply #1963 on: Feb 21, 2007 at 09:08 AM »
Nice find bro  ;)

Thanks pre sleepless nights na naman  ;D

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1964 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 09:01 AM »
sir DANA,

welcome to the UK-UK club! congrats on the a-uk3ii simple & straight ;D ;D ;D

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #1965 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 12:30 PM »
panay kasi post nyo e, madali pa naman ako ma influence ;D ;D ;D.
im back to my old hunting grounds.

uk na uk, superkinis the unit, waiting for me as its' new papa.
mai-set up nga, The HIFI DAT ROCKED THE WORLD!
THE MOST LEGENDARY INTEGRATED DAW.....haayyyyyy
ORAGON SI MIKE!
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2007 at 12:32 PM by dana »

Offline oweidah

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #1966 on: Feb 24, 2007 at 02:25 PM »

ORAGON SI MIKE!

hala!

back to where u belong, kapuso!
ung kapamilya nga uk3 ko, gusgusin as is, yagit compared uk3ii mo pero oks lang basta uk-uk ;D ;D ;D

Offline karipas

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #1967 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 10:56 AM »
Hi Sirs,

I got this Pioneer SA 8800 II (pre-mains) at the pier, I will appreciate it very much if anyone can share their knowledge about this amp. In silver Pioneer site only the SA 8500 II was mentioned although I think both amp seems to be the same in appearance.
I got it for 3.5K. The sound for me was very good and I like the turn over feature (similar to a cross over) at the tone controls, I returned it after a month because of a popping sound on the right chanel and now its again working perfectly fine. I hooked it up in the main-ins of my Accuphase and was able to drive a 360 watter kenwood vintage speakers easily during a party in our office.

pictures:

Sansui, Pioneer, Sonic Frontiers, Paradigm, Technics, Onkyo, PSB, TAD

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #1968 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 11:14 AM »

ORAGON SI MIKE!

Word of advice ... Ingat ka baka wala ka ng paglagyan diyan - ako meron pa ... hehehe ...

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1969 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 12:35 PM »
Word of advice ... Ingat ka baka wala ka ng paglagyan diyan - ako meron pa ... hehehe ...

pede pa naman mag set-up sa kusina...para lalong sumarap ang timpla pag may musiko ;D

Hi Sirs,

I got this Pioneer SA 8800 II (pre-mains) at the pier, I will appreciate it very much if anyone can share their knowledge about this amp...

Hi Karipas
Wait till Sandawa ('Our Vintage Guru  Man') provides you the info and links... ;)
...also got one, driving two pairs of Victors(SX-3ii & SX-5ii) in speaker A+B setting.
Clean the pots and the protection relay contacts with 3m contact cleaner (let it dry for a day...).
Clean well the faceplate and the knobs.
What u have there is  a good sounding silver-faced beauty..
Enjoy.

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007 at 12:44 PM by dana »

Offline karipas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1970 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 03:03 PM »
Hi Karipas
Wait till Sandawa ('Our Vintage Guru  Man') provides you the info and links... ;)
...also got one, driving two pairs of Victors(SX-3ii & SX-5ii) in speaker A+B setting.
Clean the pots and the protection relay contacts with 3m contact cleaner (let it dry for a day...).
Clean well the faceplate and the knobs.
What u have there is  a good sounding silver-faced beauty..
Enjoy.

Sir Dana,

Thank you and I will do as you suggested. They say that this amp was used by many as a mobile amp. Is this amp a monoblock type because both channels are powered by separate transformers? Wala po bang problema if I use A+B speakers? Ilan po impedance ng mga speakers mo?

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1971 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 04:40 PM »
Sir Dana,

Thank you and I will do as you suggested. They say that this amp was used by many as a mobile amp. Is this amp a monoblock type because both channels are powered by separate transformers? Wala po bang problema if I use A+B speakers? Ilan po impedance ng mga speakers mo?

Talk about  a faceplate na tinubuan ng madaming aluminum knobs or the reverse....Yup, monoblock type inside. Separate power supply for the left and the right (nice engineering symmetry arrangement inside....)
The speakers are 6 ohms nominal , i think. Im more of a moderate level listener.Havent tried yet "putting maximum pressure on this old locomotive"(borrowed quote from an AKarma member...), but you can try ;D.

« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2007 at 12:15 PM by dana »

Offline karipas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1972 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 05:33 PM »
Sir Dana,

Salamat uli. If you are saying your speakers are 6 ohms nominal, di po ba pag nag A+B ka with all 4 speakers @ 6 ohms impedance magiging 3 ohms ang load ng amp? are you saying ok lang ito basta wag ko lang lalakasan masyado so as not to stress the amp?

Very tempting po kasi I set my other amp to drive 1 pair of diamond 8.3 and 8.1 at A+B din, very nice po ang result but my friend told me that I will stress the amp very much in doing so.

Thanks in advance.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1973 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 07:12 PM »
Hi Sirs,

I got this Pioneer SA 8800 II (pre-mains) at the pier, I will appreciate it very much if anyone can share their knowledge about this amp. In silver Pioneer site only the SA 8500 II was mentioned although I think both amp seems to be the same in appearance...

It was conservatively rated at 60wpc, released in Japan in 1977. I own the older model, SA-8800, with only one transformer but sounds very good, I'd say better than new production amps. AK's Doc Strangelove who said he's heard from Filipino friends that Pioneer is a big audio brand here, has a Jap brochure with SA-8800II's specs:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=898281#post898281

Offline karipas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1974 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 08:09 PM »
Sir Sandawa,

Thanks a lot for the information.

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1975 on: Feb 26, 2007 at 09:34 PM »
Hi Sirs,

I got this Pioneer SA 8800 II (pre-mains) at the pier, I will appreciate it very much if anyone can share their knowledge about this amp. In silver Pioneer site only the SA 8500 II was mentioned although I think both amp seems to be the same in appearance.
I got it for 3.5K. The sound for me was very good and I like the turn over feature (similar to a cross over) at the tone controls, I returned it after a month because of a popping sound on the right chanel and now its again working perfectly fine. I hooked it up in the main-ins of my Accuphase and was able to drive a 360 watter kenwood vintage speakers easily during a party in our office.

pictures:

wow! nice gear sir karipas... congrats.

im a happy owner also of SA-8800 II. match with Yamaha NS-690 II. budget friendly gears but kick ass sound!!! ;D ;D ;D

refer to this link for many pioneer component.
http://www.silverpioneer.netfirms.com/Integrated%20Amps.htm
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2007 at 09:43 PM by joey »

Offline dana

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #1976 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 09:02 AM »
Sir Dana,

Salamat uli. If you are saying your speakers are 6 ohms nominal, di po ba pag nag A+B ka with all 4 speakers @ 6 ohms impedance magiging 3 ohms ang load ng amp? are you saying ok lang ito basta wag ko lang lalakasan masyado so as not to stress the amp?

Very tempting po kasi I set my other amp to drive 1 pair of diamond 8.3 and 8.1 at A+B din, very nice po ang result but my friend told me that I will stress the amp very much in doing so.

Thanks in advance.

Been used to this current set-up of mine for a long time na  ;D. This amp, i think can tolerate 4ohms as recommended. Theoretically, i think your correct but speaker impedance is not a fixed value, it varies with frequency. Also, the amp has a built in relay protection circuit that will shut off automatically once it detects 'anomaly'.Medyo nasa wild side nga ng konti but just what I said, evertything in moderation.

thanks

my extra set-up:SA-8800II, VICTOR SPKRS SX-3II / 5II
« Last Edit: Feb 27, 2007 at 11:13 AM by dana »

Offline karipas

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1977 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 12:02 PM »
Been used to this current set-up of mine for a long time na  ;D. This amp, i think can tolerate 4ohms as recommended. Theoretically, i think your correct but speaker impedance is not a fixed value, it varies with frequency. Also, the amp has a built in relay protection circuit that will shut off automatically once it detects 'anomaly'.Medyo nasa wild side nga ng konti but just what I said, evertything in moderation.

thanks

Sir Joey,

TY. Yes indeed it has kick ass sound but for this setup bitin ako as I am only using old mini compo speakers. Although the speakers will be my next project.

Sir Dana,

TY and Very nice setup! Hopefully on my next visit to our favorite mall may mapili na akong speakers. Nangangati na po tuloy ulit ako pumunta sa pier.....

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #1978 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 12:10 PM »
It was conservatively rated at 60wpc, released in Japan in 1977. I own the older model, SA-8800, with only one transformer ...

I also own one (SA-8800) ... nice materials (thick faceplate, solid aluminum knobs, hefty black heatsink with nice type TO-3 heatsink mounter) ... but got it with amp stage transistor in disarray already ... I fitted it with regulated LM3886 driven by SA-8800 pre-amp  8) ... still very productive and beautiful as ever
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline Le_Stat

• Collector
  • Only Taxpayer's should Vote !
  • Liked:
« Reply #1979 on: Feb 27, 2007 at 02:54 PM »
what pre-amps ang ma suggest niyo na maganda for surplus?
Only tax payer's should vote !