Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991080 times)

Offline Reymer

• Trade Count: (+144)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #2040 on: Apr 19, 2007 at 06:37 PM »
Oo nga, hindi kita napansin kasi madaming tao nun. Anyway, congrats ulit  ;D

Offline cuusinhvien

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2041 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 06:02 PM »
Pls check below websites of vintage Japanese audio equipment (amp, speakers, cdp, tuner, tape deck etc).

http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/index.html
http://www.thevintageknob.org/index.html
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/
http://amp8.com/
http://www.kameson.com/audio/

To translate, you can use Babelfish

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Thank you very much rascal101, but I could not get any technical information for my amp.

Due to choose the surround speakers for it, so if you don't mind please advise me the type of speakers which suitable with my AM amp. (especially: B&W, JBL, JAMO or BOSE...)

Thank you in advance.

CSV

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2042 on: Apr 20, 2007 at 06:19 PM »
Best if you can bring your amp to shop for actual demo on a type of speakers you choose.

Difficult for me to judge your amp because I've only heard a Trio KA-7004 amp. To me this amp sounded "bright". Although I can be wrong (only used 1 type of speaker). For this case I would choose a dull speaker. Unfortunately for me (since I do not buy nor listen too much on brand new speakers) I could not suggest except for a Wharfedale 9.1 bookshelf speaker.

I've searched for your amp too but could not find anything on the web.

Good luck auditioning speakers.

Offline cuusinhvien

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2043 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 03:51 PM »
Best if you can bring your amp to shop for actual demo on a type of speakers you choose.

Difficult for me to judge your amp because I've only heard a Trio KA-7004 amp. To me this amp sounded "bright". Although I can be wrong (only used 1 type of speaker). For this case I would choose a dull speaker. Unfortunately for me (since I do not buy nor listen too much on brand new speakers) I could not suggest except for a Wharfedale 9.1 bookshelf speaker.

I've searched for your amp too but could not find anything on the web.

Good luck auditioning speakers.
Thank you rascal101 for your advice. Once again please advice me what is the meaning of: "AB 4-16 Ohms;A+B 8-16 Ohms" shown on speaker connection terminals of amp.

CSV
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2007 at 06:16 PM by cuusinhvien »

Offline Reymer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2044 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 06:25 PM »
Thank you rascal101 for your advice. Once again please advice me what is the meaning of: "AB 4-16 Ohms;A+B 8-16 Ohms" shown on speaker connection terminals of amp.

CSV

A, B 4-16 ohms - If you will connect only 1 pair of speakers, the speaker impedance allowed is 4-16 ohms
A+B 8-16 ohms - If you will connect and use 2 pairs of speakers (both A & B), the speaker impedance should be 8-16 ohms, otherwise, you will overload you amp.

Offline cuusinhvien

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2045 on: Apr 27, 2007 at 01:16 PM »
A, B 4-16 ohms - If you will connect only 1 pair of speakers, the speaker impedance allowed is 4-16 ohms
A+B 8-16 ohms - If you will connect and use 2 pairs of speakers (both A & B), the speaker impedance should be 8-16 ohms, otherwise, you will overload you amp.

Thanks Reymer, one more question, the amp shown only input power: 100V AC 50/60Hz 150W. How can we define or calculate or estimate the output power for speakers will be engaged to. (Speaker impedance as my previous question)

Thanks in advance.

CSV

Offline qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #2046 on: Apr 27, 2007 at 01:29 PM »
For integrateds, I was told thats its roughly 1/3 t of the power consumption, so for the 150 watts its about 50 watts per channel....

Thanks Reymer, one more question, the amp shown only input power: 100V AC 50/60Hz 150W. How can we define or calculate or estimate the output power for speakers will be engaged to. (Speaker impedance as my previous question)

Thanks in advance.

CSV

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #2047 on: Apr 27, 2007 at 04:57 PM »
For integrateds, I was told thats its roughly 1/3 t of the power consumption, so for the 150 watts its about 50 watts per channel....

If you know the idle current power consumed, you can subtract that from the input power and multiply the remainder by 60% which is the typical efficiency of most class A/B amps.  Then divide the result by the number of channels, you'd get some idea of the maximum power each channel can generate. 

So for a 150watt electrical input needed, I'd assume an idle current of around 20 watts, so you have 130watts multipled by 60% = 78watts.  Divide that into 2 channels, so you have 39watts RMS/ch.

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2048 on: Apr 27, 2007 at 05:59 PM »

I typically use 20~25% power used by the amp ancilliaries ... thus, 75~80% is audio power ... so for 150W, this may mean about 56~60W per ch ... almost the same with qguy
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2007 at 06:00 PM by aHobbit »
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2049 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 10:00 AM »
100V AC 50/60Hz 150W.

You will find this at the back of many japanese amps, notice also, that there are convinience outlets at the back of the amp, sometimes, they will be labled as "switched" and/or sometimes, "unswitched", ever noticed them? Some amps can have as many as three of those.

So now, what the power ratings means is that you can only plug in other appliances at the back of the amp not exceeding the power of 150 watts, so at 150 and 100volts, this is 1.5 amperes, not much i would say.

Now, for the power rating of the amps inside the box, we have to look at the rails used, look at the filter caps and it will give you a clue,  most listening is done at 2 to 5 watt levels anyway, so this is still plenty. ;D
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ditterdi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2050 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 02:18 PM »
Hi,

I do not know how to calculate but I guess the voltage of the power suply also giver a clue to the wattage.
And with older models you can search for the datacheets of the power transistors by their number on the internet.

Leo.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2051 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 09:26 AM »
yes, power transistors used gives you an idea of how robust or how fast the amp is.
most amps will have filter caps in pairs, like for example, 50volt caps can be good up to 100 watts at 4ohms, a 75 volt cap, 200 at 4 ohms and so forth, 8 ohm ratings in these cases will be lower by about 50%....
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline Lord Foo

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2052 on: Apr 29, 2007 at 10:28 AM »
Don't forget that the step down transformer also limits the wattage of the units you can plug into the back of the source amp.

There are local transformers rated at 400 watts though i doubt that it can really handle 400 watts. I normally give an allowance. I suggest that it is worth the extra dough to get the higher wattage transformers rather than the cheaper wattage ones. The extra oulets will also  be very useful.

Likewise, remember that Jap amps are 100 volts, not 110 volts. I've had problems with Sansui amps using the black 110 watt transformers. I switched to the red 100 watt amps and I didn't have any more problems.

Offline bongskicool

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • vinyl is COOL
  • Liked:
« Reply #2053 on: May 02, 2007 at 12:53 PM »
Hi Guys,

i have a Pioneer A-717V, the same as the one posted here with the honeycomb heat sink  only it has  the "V" ???.. can u please give me some points of comparison and comments.. im using this amp for audio and karaoke purposes.. :)

Offline Reymer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2054 on: May 02, 2007 at 01:51 PM »
Diego is selling his mint-condition A-717 at P5K last week. But his unit is here in Davao. For those interested, you might want to PM him.

Thanks for the referral sir sandawa.  :) Got this unit from Diego. Pristine condition (I'd hate to call this amp surplus) Another beautiful addition to my collection  ;D

Offline Reymer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2055 on: May 02, 2007 at 01:56 PM »
Hi Guys,

i have a Pioneer A-717V, the same as the one posted here with the honeycomb heat sink  only it has  the "V" ???.. can u please give me some points of comparison and comments.. im using this amp for audio and karaoke purposes.. :)

The A-717V is basically the same as A-717, nagkaroon lang ng video inputs/switching

You can check this
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.audio-heritage.jp/PIONEER-EXCLUSIVE/amp/index.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3DDenon%2BPMA-890DG%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DRNWM,RNWM:2006-30,RNWM:en%26sa%3DN
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007 at 02:35 PM by Reymer »

Offline Miguel^

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2056 on: May 02, 2007 at 01:58 PM »
Congratulations sir reymer!

I guess that's three of us having the same amp including bongskicool.

Offline Trauma

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2057 on: May 02, 2007 at 02:01 PM »
I have a Harman Kardon receiver model 730 which I bought from a friend years ago. sold then bought back finding it in fine condition as it was b4 i sold it.

I dont think its a surplus but this forum is turning out to be where you could discuss vintage equips.

Anyone know anything about this receiver?

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2058 on: May 02, 2007 at 02:09 PM »
Thanks for the referral sir sandawa.  :) Got this unit from Diego. Pristine condition (I'd hate to call this amp surplus) Another beautiful addition to my collection  ;D

I saw another Pioneer A-717 in a thrift shop here in Davao last weekend. Looks like the A-717 was Pioneer's answer to the popular and reasonably priced (in Japan) TA-F333ES from Sony.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline Miguel^

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2059 on: May 02, 2007 at 02:31 PM »
The A-717 is really a great amp.  Its powering my 602s right now & love it.  I'm actually looking for another one, so if anybody is selling, pm me. :)

Offline markmlists

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2060 on: May 02, 2007 at 02:52 PM »
Surplus amp question, what do you use on your surplus amps- regular transformers or the 100V socket of your AVR? What AVR brand has 100V output? Thanks

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2061 on: May 02, 2007 at 03:05 PM »
Matsunaga Stavol has 100V output.

I use regular transformers (2/3) on my amps. Mahal iyung AVR eh.

Dami fans ng A-717.

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2062 on: May 02, 2007 at 03:36 PM »
The A-717 is really a great amp.  Its powering my 602s right now & love it.  I'm actually looking for another one, so if anybody is selling, pm me. :)

If you have a friend here in Davao, ask him to check Try-Us shop on Claveria St. between Bonifacio and Bolton Sts. The unit is cosmetically okay, but I never tested it. The shop has no landline number and the manager who has a cellphone was out when I went there a few minutes ago. The price quote is quite okay, significantly lower than its current quote in used hifi auctions in Japan, which is roughly equivalent to $100. But I'm not surprised with the price considering A-717 is in the same class as Sony's TA-F333ES and Sansui's AU-607.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline Reymer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2063 on: May 02, 2007 at 04:28 PM »
Surplus amp question, what do you use on your surplus amps- regular transformers or the 100V socket of your AVR? What AVR brand has 100V output? Thanks

Tama si Rascal, Matsunaga Stavol AVRs have 100v output, but only the 1000-watt and higher models. The 500w model does not have 100v output.

Offline bongskicool

• Collector
  • vinyl is COOL
  • Liked:
« Reply #2064 on: May 02, 2007 at 08:52 PM »
a friend of mine is selling his OLD (as in LUMA talaga pero mura lang) SANSUI TUBE RECEIVER AMPLIFIER labelled SM1000A it looks like this  http://www.sansui.us/images/Tube_Receivers/1000_1.jpg.  We opened the cover and i saw these tubes, two small transformers and a big one with this one large blue capacitor just lying but i guess its really there for a cause.. grabe puro alikabok pero sa tingin ko its still all original inside and the tubes, he told me that the tubes are U.S. made, forgot the brand its start with a letter S.. he is seliing this " AS IS" ..i want to buy it, but of course cant just do it without asking help from you guys if this thing is worth restoring if YES, can u please tell me where to bring this or is this just a waste of money and time. ???
tnx a lot :)

Offline ditterdi

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2065 on: May 02, 2007 at 10:47 PM »

Offline ianmorales

• Collector
  • Virus stricken!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2066 on: May 02, 2007 at 11:06 PM »
a friend of mine is selling his OLD (as in LUMA talaga pero mura lang) SANSUI TUBE RECEIVER AMPLIFIER labelled SM1000A it looks like this  http://www.sansui.us/images/Tube_Receivers/1000_1.jpg.  We opened the cover and i saw these tubes, two small transformers and a big one with this one large blue capacitor just lying but i guess its really there for a cause.. grabe puro alikabok pero sa tingin ko its still all original inside and the tubes, he told me that the tubes are U.S. made, forgot the brand its start with a letter S.. he is seliing this " AS IS" ..i want to buy it, but of course cant just do it without asking help from you guys if this thing is worth restoring if YES, can u please tell me where to bring this or is this just a waste of money and time. ???

Bro, how much is he selling?  You can bring the amp to JojoD or to Rene Rivo to check the amp.  You can PM them for theier contact numbers.

Offline bongskicool

• Collector
  • vinyl is COOL
  • Liked:
« Reply #2067 on: May 03, 2007 at 06:40 AM »
diterdi,

ianmorales,
the unit is worth 2k..hindi ba nakakahiya dalhin sa kanila...baka sabihin "ano akala mo sa amin JUNKSHOP" ;D ;D ;D
il try to post the actual picture of the unit later..tnx

Offline ianmorales

• Collector
  • Virus stricken!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2068 on: May 03, 2007 at 08:36 AM »
diterdi,

ianmorales,
the unit is worth 2k..hindi ba nakakahiya dalhin sa kanila...baka sabihin "ano akala mo sa amin JUNKSHOP" ;D ;D ;D
il try to post the actual picture of the unit later..tnx

Its ok basta mga tube amps, they can even refurbish it to look new again.

Offline Reymer

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2069 on: May 04, 2007 at 03:47 PM »
At last, after a long search - My first Sansui...  ;D
AU-alpha777DG
Excellent condition, 100v but not surplus, built-in DAC, with Original remote control
Rated at 90wpc at 8 ohms, weighs 18.2kg

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ja_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.audio-heritage.jp%2fSANSUI%2famp%2fau-alpha777dg.html

Actual pics:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2007 at 08:33 PM by Reymer »