Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991061 times)

Offline Weng!

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • The Dude Formerly Known As GneW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 63
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #2130 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 06:44 AM »
pm sent sir regarding the service manual ;)

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2131 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 08:13 AM »
congrats then, it survive those years!

I may not experience it first hand ... but the analysis is grim ... not because it has bad design flaws ... but in fact, it is too fast an amplifier ... too fast for its own disadvantage ... ready to oscillate at small signal anomaly ... but rascal have good reason ... indeed a work of art to brag about ... unusual size, seldom you can see, and the parts worthy to keep ... would rather have the 907MOS though ;D ... if you spot another, kindly alert me and will readily fly davao that very day  ;D Pier is not as exciting as before in terms of good heavyweight amps ... been there many times lately, and typically, is now a waste of time browsing the area.

I was traveling a lot these past few months and was at the Pier (Manila) a week ago. True, no upscale amps or speakers there but a lot of units on the shelves of Chatty's and the two sidestreet stalls. You don't see that here in Davao. But at least we still have one or two good models arriving monthly like the TOTL Luxman 550X I got a few weeks ago. Just yesterday, a trader showed me a pair of original US-made ElectroVoice small professional monitors at a "discounted P9K", still a bit high for me. I already have a full-size EV Interface A anyway. But he got half a dozen pairs of those EV monitors from Japan last weekend and 5 pairs already sold in just a couple of days at P10K each.

There are still a few unsold but interesting mint units I saw here:
Victor A-X1000 http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/a-x1000.htm
Pioneer A-900 http://www.niji.or.jp/home/k-nisi/a-900.html and
Sansui alpha 607XR http://www.audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/amp/au-alpha607xr.html

The price I think is from P6K to P7K. If anyone is interested, I'll get the phone numbers of the shopowners. I don't want to be a third party -- I'm too busy for that.

aHobbit, for being a true and consistent hifi enthusiast, I'm taking your post seriously. I'm running out of space here in Davao and I would probably yield, just for you, on the next alpha 907 arrival here. Who knows? We could even get one of those rare items cheap. Or, if you want, I could buy it, then swap with your NEC a-10.
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline Miguel^

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2132 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 09:40 AM »
bakit nagkaroon ng shift sa india at china ang mga jap surplus goods?

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2133 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 12:26 PM »
I think this was covered adequately by a Time magazine article last year, although I don't quite remember if it mentioned India at all. The best consumer electronics surplus from Japan now goes mostly to the port of Shanghai, which is as progressive as Hong Kong. Why? Because the Chinese who had a closed economy for decades never had the chance to listen to good hifi. They now have the money to buy the best surplus equipment they could find. BTW, even US and UK audiophiles never got to listen to those upscale gear we now enjoy -- courtesy of those surplus shops. I have been getting fantastic offers for some of my gear from buyers in UK, Germany and US. No deal.

Three years ago, traders here in Davao told me their contacts in Japan said they could sell good vintage Japanese hifi to Shanghai audiophiles at more than twice the price they could sell in RP or Vietnam. That means a Sansui AU-XII, which i got P8K four years ago, could be sold at least P16K in Shanghai. That's closer to used AU-XII's price in Tokyo or roughly $500. Looks like many Chinese audiophiles prefer those old junks compared with new production tube amps that they sell abroad.

Offline aHobbit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2134 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 01:28 PM »

The price I think is from P6K to P7K. If anyone is interested, I'll get the phone numbers of the shopowners. I don't want to be a third party -- I'm too busy for that.

aHobbit, for being a true and consistent hifi enthusiast, I'm taking your post seriously. I'm running out of space here in Davao and I would probably yield, just for you, on the next alpha 907 arrival here. Who knows? We could even get one of those rare items cheap. Or, if you want, I could buy it, then swap with your NEC a-10.

shucks!!!

Will not yield my NEC A10II  ;D ... do yourself a favor, make yourself a space, sell the alpha 907  ;D, I will be more willing to help  ;D

How much do they sell the above units?
Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2135 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 01:46 PM »
Thanks for inquiring, but no way will I sell any of my two alpha 907s, unless I get another one -- that I could  exchange for your NEC a-10.

BTW, the original alpha 907 still sells at $500 in Japan now (same as a-10) while the i-Mos Ltd. is quoted roughly $800.
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2007 at 01:48 PM by sandawa »

Offline reynold

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Now a Name... Soon a LEGEND!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2136 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 02:16 PM »

Hi bro,

which of the 3 do you think is the best choice? thanks :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2137 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 02:40 PM »
Victor A-X1000 looks very good, quite impressive. The Pioneer A-900 looks ordinary but has separate transformers. The Sansui alpha 607XR looks no different from new production AVRs you see in AV shops, poging pogi parang brand new, but comparatively heavy about 20 kgs. Haven't heard any of them but based on current resale price in Japan, if I have the space for a new big amp, it would be the Victor.

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2138 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 03:41 PM »
Thanks sir sandawa, i'm planning to go to pier this coming saturday, sana available pa sila... would you know kung saang store sila sa pier? or can you give me their number, inquire ako about these amp. Thanks  ;)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2139 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 03:47 PM »
Thanks for inquiring, but no way will I sell any of my two alpha 907s, unless I get another one -- that I could  exchange for your NEC a-10.

BTW, the original alpha 907 still sells at $500 in Japan now (same as a-10) while the i-Mos Ltd. is quoted roughly $800.

;D

yeah, I like the facia of the iMOS ltd. tagal ako nag aabang dito sa pier nyan - di ko matyempuhan.

Early on, napapadaan lang ako once sa pier na yan pasyal pasyal lang with no intent of buying anything (di pa ko nababaliw non sa vintage amp, but the model was impressed on my mind because of the way it looks - guapo) and saw that model. ang siste, gala lang ako non at di pa nagbibibili ... later ko na lang nahagip yung mga web site about this gem amplifier ... sayang, di ko na sana pinakawalan!

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2140 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 03:49 PM »
Victor A-X1000 looks very good, quite impressive. The Pioneer A-900 looks ordinary but has separate transformers. The Sansui alpha 607XR looks no different from new production AVRs you see in AV shops, poging pogi parang brand new, but comparatively heavy about 20 kgs. Haven't heard any of them but based on current resale price in Japan, if I have the space for a new big amp, it would be the Victor.

My eye is also on that victor! 150wpc/8ohms :o

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2141 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 05:15 PM »
Sir Sandawa,

Anyway you can sell one of your Alpha 907s? Tulungan ko po kayo at baka masikip na diyan sa inyo  ;D.

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2142 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 05:23 PM »
My eye is also on that victor! 150wpc/8ohms :o

Hi Sir a Hobbit,

if your amp rated 150wpc/8ohms, what must be the rating of your speaker that is enough to be paired with this amp? And if i am going to use a speaker with this kind of rating, 40watts-150watts max/6 ohms, what will happen? Thanks  ;)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline m0b1u5

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Music is everywhere... we just have to listen...
  • Liked:
« Reply #2143 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 05:36 PM »
from my list Victor A-X1000 is rated 200wpc @ 6 ohms and 170 wpc @ 8 ohms  :o  :o

how much was the pegged price for the unit sir?

i also the 907i MOS limited in pier before but wasn't aware of the value/reputation of the unit.  when i've researched about the model weeks later,  :-[  :'(  :-X  :(  ???

months later, AU-D907x na lang nakuha ko...
Know Thyself!

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2144 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 07:06 PM »
Hi Sir a Hobbit,

if your amp rated 150wpc/8ohms, what must be the rating of your speaker that is enough to be paired with this amp? And if i am going to use a speaker with this kind of rating, 40watts-150watts max/6 ohms, what will happen? Thanks  ;)

Chances are:
(1) you will just be listening at 2-10 watts power
(2) 6 ohms does not matter, its OK
(3) your speaker is safe
(4) if you pump at 40W, the sound may still be clean from the amp, but your speaker is already distorted
(5) if you are experimenting beyond 40W, you may have more diaphragm than what you wanted (I mean, they will be in pieces  ;D )

Seriously, there is no problem with your proposition. There is more issue having low power amp to a high powered speaker.  ;)

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2145 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 07:34 PM »
Chances are:
(1) you will just be listening at 2-10 watts power
(2) 6 ohms does not matter, its OK
(3) your speaker is safe
(4) if you pump at 40W, the sound may still be clean from the amp, but your speaker is already distorted
(5) if you are experimenting beyond 40W, you may have more diaphragm than what you wanted (I mean, they will be in pieces  ;D )

Seriously, there is no problem with your proposition. There is more issue having low power amp to a high powered speaker.  ;)

I see, low amp to hi speaker = bad
         hi amp - low speaker = good

i was thinking the other way around kasi, parang pag tinodo mo yung volume ng hi powered amp sa low powered speaker, susunugin nya ang speaker mo (my belief before) hehe  ;D

So oks lang pala buy ko yung victor a-x1000 pag inabutan ko pa sa pier  :)

Thanks and God Bless Sir aHobbit  ;)

OT: Bro ledrach, pumapasok pa ba si jen? kulitin mo na, malapit na umalis yan  :)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2146 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 08:47 PM »
Thanks sir sandawa, i'm planning to go to pier this coming saturday, sana available pa sila... would you know kung saang store sila sa pier? or can you give me their number, inquire ako about these amp. Thanks  ;)

Dito sa Davao available yan, hindi dyan sa Maynila. The shop selling the Victor A-X1000 had a price tag of P7K on it yesterday (it's been on display for two weeks already). The tag price was removed today, so I guess it would go at P6K. Sana walang makabasa nito na taga Davao, otherwise -- wala na yan sa araw ng suweldo  :(

Offline edwin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • My day is not complete without music
  • Liked:
« Reply #2147 on: Jun 28, 2007 at 10:32 PM »
Sir Weng,

My Brother knows a bit about electronics. He didn't actually repair the Sony 5650. What he did was follow the Service Manual instructions (and reading on the net regarding the vfets0 on how to adjust the bias and dc offset setting of the amplifier which has strayed from the factory settings from the time the unit was produced. Then he replaced the diodes which AK gurus claim are the cause of permanent damage to the transistors. It is said that if the VFETs are gone, the amplifier is just a Huge Paperweight. He still has my 4650 which was already adjusted but still has problematic pre-amp section.

Actually, he didnt follow the advice of the AK gurus exactly who recommend a bias setting above 0. He set it to full 0 to totally avoid the heating problems.

By the way I have a soft copy of both 5650 and 4650 service manuals if you are interested. Your technicians will need these to work on the vfets. My brod couldnt do anything about the adjustment till he obtained a copy of the SM's.

Also, my brod mentioned that although the 5650 is more powerful than the 4650, he connected the power amp section to another pre-amp to bypass the problematic preamp of the vfet to test the unit.

He claims that the 4650 sounded as good as the 5650. It is thus a rare unit that deserves restoration.

Now as to whether he will accept non-brother projects, i still have to check with him.

I am based in Quezon City.

Foo

Guys,

I too started my real audio set-up back in 1989 with a surplus amp I got from Raon. It was a NEC Django (forgot the model). It was really %$@#$ heavy due to the huge transformer. It has an orange VU meter going sideways indicating 180watts.

After all these years, I had been very interested with all these equipment parts upgrades and modification. Here are some tips so that you could keep your newly acquired surplus amps in tip-top condition and improve its performance.

1) Electrolytic capacitors are the one that will normally fail over time. The liquid inside these capacitors tend to dry up or in some cases leak out. As these amps are already more than 10 to 15 years old, it is the best to replace all these electrolytic caps. To be safe, just use the same capacitance and voltage rating (you could increase the value of the voltage rating but don't go lower in vale). For the power supply caps, you could increase the capacitance to twice the value and by doing so will improve the bass performance of the amp.

2) Get a service manual so that you could set the correct bias setting. Some amplifier runs hotter because they are more into class A, meaning although the amplifier is considered Class AB, biasing it higher will make the first few watts more into Class A. A higher bias means a smoother sound, with the bass becoming more controlled and rhythmic.

3) Bias the dc offset to zero or as close to zero if the amp doeasn't comes with a circuit to automatically check the dc offset.

4) Check for any rusty connectors or cables (corroded/rusty). Replace them with better types you could get.

5) Clean all the contacts and connectors with a contact cleaner like a CAIG contact cleaner or if you are on the budget, get the Philips (red can) contact cleaner.

Here are some tweaks/parts upgrade you could do to further increase the performance of your amp.

1) Replace the powersupply diodes to ultrafast/soft recovery type. Get the HFA series from International Rectifiers. Source is Farnell.

2) Replace the Zobel Network circuit. This circuit is a combination of a capacitor and resistor found before the speaker terminal/connector with a good polypropylene cap like Auricap or Mundorf and resistor like Kiwame.

3) Replace the internal cable leading to the speaker terminal and to the output RCA jacks with better cables.

4) Replace the speaker binding post and RCS connectors to better quality type.

Happy tweaking.
LaptopWin19,AO,Fidelizer
Hermes
Pontus 2
Mapletree
Van Alstein
DeCapo BE
Spacedeck
Hana SL
Vetere

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2148 on: Jun 29, 2007 at 09:02 AM »
Anybody got a hold of NEC-A10II schematics? I am taking the lead of LordFoo - indeed a useful information.

I see, low amp to hi speaker = bad
         hi amp - low speaker = good

i was thinking the other way around kasi, parang pag tinodo mo yung volume ng hi powered amp sa low powered speaker, susunugin nya ang speaker mo (my belief before) hehe  ;D

So oks lang pala buy ko yung victor a-x1000 pag inabutan ko pa sa pier  :)

Thanks and God Bless Sir aHobbit  ;)

OT: Bro ledrach, pumapasok pa ba si jen? kulitin mo na, malapit na umalis yan  :)

Masusunog naman talaga ang speaker mo pag tinodo!  :o But (like pagputi ng uwak will never happen) if you are using it for listening, 10 watts is almost ear breaking level or distortion (for low power speaker) for decent sensitivity speakers, and you may not want more than that level. And there is no telling that when you make todo, it will not hit what we call clipping conditions (giving you DC voltage, and will put your amp in a short circuit condition, burning your speaker earlier than it can burn your amp).

The reason you should be more cautious with low-power amp is that you can easily reach the clipping condition in them than with a high power amp! The speakers are more tolerant of power handling provided they continue to vibrate within its limits, otherwise the cone cant vibrate anymore to the dictates of the power, and at its cone vibration limits (extreme up or down), it is in short circuit condition, either burning your speaker (typically earlier) or your amp (seldom happens) or just reproducing your cones into many pieces  ;D

I remember my college days when me and my brother tried to destroy a 10-watter Micro speaker, justifying a purchase of new ones, by subjecting it to high power amps and make it vibrate (in a listenable fashion) hard. We failed to bring the speaker to its knees!  ;D

Then recently I got hold of a 3 watter national speaker (10incher). Pinahiram ko sa clown with a JVC mini compo at 70wpc para daw sa celebration, anak ng tokneneng, di na kuntento sa lakas (bingi yata), distorted na tunog, gusto pa daw niya itodo, e di na gumagalaw ang level sa display ng JVC (meaning todo na talaga!  >:( ), ayun, lasug lasog yung diaphragm ng ibalik sa akin. Clown talaga!  ;D

But we are talking here of 3watter. It was burned not because it received more power than what it can take, but because the amp reached a clipping condition!
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2007 at 09:10 AM by aHobbit »

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2149 on: Jun 29, 2007 at 03:03 PM »
Dito sa Davao available yan, hindi dyan sa Maynila. The shop selling the Victor A-X1000 had a price tag of P7K on it yesterday (it's been on display for two weeks already). The tag price was removed today, so I guess it would go at P6K. Sana walang makabasa nito na taga Davao, otherwise -- wala na yan sa araw ng suweldo  :(

Nyek, akala ko dito sa pier manila, hehehe  ;D
Anyway, sana may makita ako nyan dito last saturday. Do you have plans of buying it?
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2150 on: Jun 29, 2007 at 03:21 PM »
Anybody got a hold of NEC-A10II schematics? I am taking the lead of LordFoo - indeed a useful information.

Masusunog naman talaga ang speaker mo pag tinodo!  :o But (like pagputi ng uwak will never happen) if you are using it for listening, 10 watts is almost ear breaking level or distortion (for low power speaker) for decent sensitivity speakers, and you may not want more than that level. And there is no telling that when you make todo, it will not hit what we call clipping conditions (giving you DC voltage, and will put your amp in a short circuit condition, burning your speaker earlier than it can burn your amp).

The reason you should be more cautious with low-power amp is that you can easily reach the clipping condition in them than with a high power amp! The speakers are more tolerant of power handling provided they continue to vibrate within its limits, otherwise the cone cant vibrate anymore to the dictates of the power, and at its cone vibration limits (extreme up or down), it is in short circuit condition, either burning your speaker (typically earlier) or your amp (seldom happens) or just reproducing your cones into many pieces  ;D

I remember my college days when me and my brother tried to destroy a 10-watter Micro speaker, justifying a purchase of new ones, by subjecting it to high power amps and make it vibrate (in a listenable fashion) hard. We failed to bring the speaker to its knees!  ;D

Then recently I got hold of a 3 watter national speaker (10incher). Pinahiram ko sa clown with a JVC mini compo at 70wpc para daw sa celebration, anak ng tokneneng, di na kuntento sa lakas (bingi yata), distorted na tunog, gusto pa daw niya itodo, e di na gumagalaw ang level sa display ng JVC (meaning todo na talaga!  >:( ), ayun, lasug lasog yung diaphragm ng ibalik sa akin. Clown talaga!  ;D

But we are talking here of 3watter. It was burned not because it received more power than what it can take, but because the amp reached a clipping condition!

Thanks sir ahobbit, i really appreciate it, dami ko natututunan ngayon, nasa amp kasi ang focus ko ngayon kasi i'm planning to have a separate audio setup kasi  :)

Btw, meron pa sana ako tanong about amp and it really confused me. You can PM na lang sa akin yung sagot para di naman OT, but i guess di sya OT kasi about amps naman din e...

Here are my questions:
1. what are the difference between Integrated Amp, Power Amp, T-Amp and Pre-Amp? medyo lito ako sa terminologies ng mga amp e.

2. i'm using a yamaha receiver (rxv440), pwede ba ako magkabit ng amp sa receiver ko, sa subwoofer out ba ng a/vr ko ba pwede ikabit? anong klaseng amp ang pwede, pre-amp lang o lahat ng klase ng amp.

3. pag may nakakabit na amp sa receiver ko, dapat dun na lahat nakakabit sa amp yung mga spker pati subwoofer?

I hope you can answer my questions, Thanks and God Bless  ;)
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2151 on: Jun 29, 2007 at 06:11 PM »
1. what are the difference between Integrated Amp, Power Amp, T-Amp and Pre-Amp? medyo lito ako sa terminologies ng mga amp e.

the flow of music signal:
CD player --> pre-amp --> power amp --> speaker

Integrated amp is the combination of pre-amp & power amp

T-amp is another breed of amplifier implementation (just search the net)
Sonic T-amp (the usual focus of discussion being addressed generically as T-amp) is another integrated amp in a small package.

2. i'm using a yamaha receiver (rxv440), pwede ba ako magkabit ng amp sa receiver ko, sa subwoofer out ba ng a/vr ko ba pwede ikabit? anong klaseng amp ang pwede, pre-amp lang o lahat ng klase ng amp.

technically, the sub out is an output of your receiver's sub preamplifier. ideally, power amp should be plugged into it. but you can also connect integrated amp (just watch out the level). Subwoofer like DTX has just power amp in it. Of course, it will only produce low frequency.

3. pag may nakakabit na amp sa receiver ko, dapat dun na lahat nakakabit sa amp yung mga spker pati subwoofer?

No. Only the low frequency driver (passive or unpowered subwoofers) should be on that external amp (it only produces low frequency being a sub out)

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2152 on: Jun 30, 2007 at 03:34 AM »
Sir Weng,

My Brother knows a bit about electronics. He didn't actually repair the Sony 5650. What he did was follow the Service Manual instructions (and reading on the net regarding the vfets0 on how to adjust the bias and dc offset setting of the amplifier which has strayed from the factory settings from the time the unit was produced. Then he replaced the diodes which AK gurus claim are the cause of permanent damage to the transistors. It is said that if the VFETs are gone, the amplifier is just a Huge Paperweight. He still has my 4650 which was already adjusted but still has problematic pre-amp section.

Actually, he didnt follow the advice of the AK gurus exactly who recommend a bias setting above 0. He set it to full 0 to totally avoid the heating problems.

By the way I have a soft copy of both 5650 and 4650 service manuals if you are interested. Your technicians will need these to work on the vfets. My brod couldnt do anything about the adjustment till he obtained a copy of the SM's.

Also, my brod mentioned that although the 5650 is more powerful than the 4650, he connected the power amp section to another pre-amp to bypass the problematic preamp of the vfet to test the unit.

He claims that the 4650 sounded as good as the 5650. It is thus a rare unit that deserves restoration.

Now as to whether he will accept non-brother projects, i still have to check with him.

I am based in Quezon City.

Foo

biasing amps are done to meet certein distortion characteristics, specs if you will...vfets or mosfets can be run hot becuase unlike bipolar transistors, they do not suffer from secondary breakdown.

that you can not detect any difference between a hot running amp, and a cooler one, reinforces the fact that distortion levels are barely discernible...if you measure distortion with a THD meter, surely figures will show that distortion is higher in a cooler amp than that which run hot ....

besides, there are advantages to running the amps cooler, it means longer life for the unit... ;D

That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2153 on: Jun 30, 2007 at 03:41 AM »
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2007 at 03:35 AM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline reynold

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2154 on: Jul 02, 2007 at 11:29 AM »

the flow of music signal:
CD player --> pre-amp --> power amp --> speaker

Integrated amp is the combination of pre-amp & power amp

T-amp is another breed of amplifier implementation (just search the net)
Sonic T-amp (the usual focus of discussion being addressed generically as T-amp) is another integrated amp in a small package.

technically, the sub out is an output of your receiver's sub preamplifier. ideally, power amp should be plugged into it. but you can also connect integrated amp (just watch out the level). Subwoofer like DTX has just power amp in it. Of course, it will only produce low frequency.

No. Only the low frequency driver (passive or unpowered subwoofers) should be on that external amp (it only produces low frequency being a sub out)

Thank you so much sir aHobbit, medyo nalinawan na rin ako sa wakas re Amplifiers ;)

Btw, i got this one yesterday sa Bodega surplus malapit sa amin sa Malabon, 1 amp lang yung available for sale nila, yung Aurex, pero di ko matandaan yung model, kaso nung tinest na namin, ayun umusok, hehehe buti na lang sa kanila ngyari yun  ;D ;D ;D

And then the owner decided to offer and sell me his amp, yun yung kasalukuyang ginagamit nila dun while i'm looking for some items... since tested na nila, and after a long tawaran, binili ko na rin hehehe   ;)

here's the link:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2007 at 12:03 PM by reynold »
BenQ w1070+
51PSF5000
Onkyo 636
Musika
Minix U1
B&W 602 S3
Energy Spkrs
Onkyo Liverpool D200II

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2155 on: Jul 02, 2007 at 12:40 PM »
For those who need free schematics for their hifi equipment -- from amps to turntables -- you may want to visit Jas' website: http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals.shtml

It's not complete but it's the best source, so far, for free manuals.

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #2156 on: Jul 02, 2007 at 06:29 PM »

biasing amps are done to meet certein distortion characteristics, specs if you will...vfets or mosfets can be run hot becuase unlike bipolar transistors, they do not suffer from secondary breakdown.

that you can not detect any difference between a hot running amp, and a cooler one, reinforces the fact that distortion levels are barely discernible...if you measure distortion with a THD meter, surely figures will show that distortion is higher in a cooler amp than that which run hot ....

besides, there are advantages to running the amps cooler, it means longer life for the unit... ;D

Yes, my amp (NEC) runs hot ... and am aware heat is my no.1 wearing factor of the amp FET devices ... so I tried to cap it by putting exhaust fan on top to help heat sink cool it, to minimize wear and tear due to heat!

distortion is almost a non-issue in a decent amp - even not a TOTL - they are almost near perfection. There are substantially large distortion in the speaker itself, then multiplied by the listening room - putting amp distortion to zero - nil (moot and academic). This is the reason nobody can hear the amp distortion factor - because it has been masked already by tremendous speaker distortion. Of course, measuring devices can detect it (electronically) - but it can not be heard in real-life condition. So much about golden ear - if there is a perfect speaker (that has much less distortion than the amplifier itself), I could have believe those golden ears!  ;D

BTW, Are you still in russia?

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2157 on: Jul 03, 2007 at 10:58 AM »
BTW, Are you still in russia?

I am... ;D taking my home leave july 21....

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2158 on: Sep 20, 2007 at 12:22 PM »
@little chatty

guys u may wanna check out - LOD ha6800 mosfet amp 3.5k daw

Offline bongskicool

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Collector
  • vinyl is COOL
  • Liked:
« Reply #2159 on: Sep 20, 2007 at 09:04 PM »
@little chatty

guys u may wanna check out - LOD ha6800 mosfet amp 3.5k daw

uy. sir mukhang maganda ito ah.. little chatty po ba.. yung sa pier?