Author Topic: Surplus amps  (Read 991107 times)

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Surplus amps
« Reply #2490 on: Oct 29, 2008 at 11:01 PM »
i know what you mean...experienced that static/popcorn  noise in SA8800.
Replaced some problematic leaky transistors in the preamp driver board.
Back to normal and toys are healthy again ;D

sana nga ganun lang ang mga problema ng mga preamp. ewan koba tinakot lang yata ako nung technician. >:(  i paired it with bose 901 S3... yung equalizer ng bose ang sumira... waaaah... well anyway good thing its still singing sir Dana... im on a hunt again for Integrated or separate or reciever(SX1010) silver pioneer... kahit hindi TOTL oks lang basta maganda tunog...pwedi na yung C at M series o kaya Spec 1 & 2... ;D

Offline terii

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2491 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 07:23 AM »
sansui au- alpha 607   NRA2
Hi
It took me two days to recover to post  sansui alpha 607 nra2
Here are photos

sony CDP R3 ,préam vincent SA-3,sansui B2301,infinity renaissance90

Offline sandawa

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Addict
  • Remember Hegel's dialectics!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2492 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 12:42 PM »
Hi Terii,

That's a good looking amp. BTW, I got a call form my friend informing me I'll have an alpha 607 Mos Limited arriving next week from Kansai (in Japan). I hope the unit is in good condition.

Also sharing photos of my latest catch -- Luxman SQ-38 FD Mark II (30wpc - one channel isn't working, have yet to check how many of the valves are dead):

Valves are: four 50CA10 (the big ones); two 6267; four 12ax7; and two 6DT8/6AO8

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008 at 10:51 AM by sandawa »
thesis - antithesis - synthesis

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2493 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 12:50 PM »
Hi Terii,

That's a good looking amp. BTW, I got a call form my friend informing me I'll have an alpha 607 Mos Limited arriving next week from Kansai (in Japan). I hope the unit is in good condition.

Also sharing photos of my latest catch -- Luxman SQ-38 FD Mark II (30wpc - one channel isn't working, has yet to check how many of the valves are dead):

Valves are: four 50ca10 (the big ones); two 6267; three 12ax7; and three 12au7

wowowee! congrats nani!

sana lang ok pa power tubes nyan....
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=tubes&n=178090&highlight=elektron

Offline dana

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #2494 on: Oct 30, 2008 at 01:25 PM »
Ang kinis pa ng loob!
Congrats Sir Sandawa.
Hopefully, simple 1ch problem  lan at hindi yung output transfmr.

Offline ATJr.

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2495 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 07:09 PM »

sana nga ganun lang ang mga problema ng mga preamp. ewan koba tinakot lang yata ako nung technician. >:(  i paired it with bose 901 S3... yung equalizer ng bose ang sumira... waaaah... well anyway good thing its still singing sir Dana... im on a hunt again for Integrated or separate or reciever(SX1010) silver pioneer... kahit hindi TOTL oks lang basta maganda tunog...pwedi na yung C at M series o kaya Spec 1 & 2... ;D

i don't know if your tech knows it, but those transistors Dana was referring to are TO92's or the likes which tests good on the multimeter, so that unsuspecting techs can miss them. in case of crackling noises, it is expedient to just replace those with newer devices to get rid of the noise. ;D

this is not unique to Pioneer, i have encountered this problem with Sansui's and other Japanese amps.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 at 07:18 PM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2496 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 07:14 PM »

Also sharing photos of my latest catch -- Luxman SQ-38 FD Mark II (30wpc - one channel isn't working, have yet to check how many of the valves are dead):

Valves are: four 50CA10 (the big ones); two 6267; four 12ax7; and two 6DT8/6AO8

the four 50CA10'a are uniquely Japanese, i do not know of any American of European counterpart, i believe they are compactron socketed power triodes, replacement tubes are uncertain, they may no longer be inproduction as of today. .nice catch though.. ;D..
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 at 07:28 PM by TonyT »
That's OK, you can like or dislike anything you choose. That's the wonderful thing about the freedom

Offline kimmy_kimmy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2497 on: Nov 03, 2008 at 07:23 PM »
congrats sir nani! that is one superb amp  8)

if only may maligaw nyan sa pier  :-\

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2498 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 08:40 AM »
the four 50CA10'a are uniquely Japanese, i do not know of any American of European counterpart, i believe they are compactron socketed power triodes, replacement tubes are uncertain, they may no longer be inproduction as of today. .nice catch though.. ;D..

Thanks, yes these are power triodes. I got this amp mainly for my personal collection considering I'm not very fond of tube sound. I've inquired overseas: 50CA10s are still available but at a steep price of $100 each. There's a $60 option from a Chinese firm that produces a limited number of this rare valve (baka melamine-contaminated pa!). It's out-of-stock even in Japan but there are Japanese DIYers who were able to make 25C6GAs (easily available in Japan I was told) work as replacements with modifications in the amp's settings.

A couple of days ago, I turned this monster on after removing the case and found two 50CA10s and two 6267s dead. Despite that, one channel is working but couldn't produce a loud sound without clipping. 6267s are obtainable, so, just in case I can't get those big bulbs (50CA10s are almost as big as 10-watt bulbs) I'll be happy with an SQ-38FD in mono. My uncle's 15-inch full-range EV speaker could be a good match to this.

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2499 on: Nov 04, 2008 at 04:42 PM »
Thanks, yes these are power triodes. I got this amp mainly for my personal collection considering I'm not very fond of tube sound. I've inquired overseas: 50CA10s are still available but at a steep price of $100 each. There's a $60 option from a Chinese firm that produces a limited number of this rare valve (baka melamine-contaminated pa!). It's out-of-stock even in Japan but there are Japanese DIYers who were able to make 25C6GAs (easily available in Japan I was told) work as replacements with modifications in the amp's settings.

A couple of days ago, I turned this monster on after removing the case and found two 50CA10s and two 6267s dead. Despite that, one channel is working but couldn't produce a loud sound without clipping. 6267s are obtainable, so, just in case I can't get those big bulbs (50CA10s are almost as big as 10-watt bulbs) I'll be happy with an SQ-38FD in mono. My uncle's 15-inch full-range EV speaker could be a good match to this.

The 25CG6A'a and its sibling the 50CG6A are pentode octals while the 6CA-10's are true power triode in a 12 pin compactron base. To use those pentodes as replacements you will have to wire them as triodes, looking at the sheets, the 25CG6A has lower screen voltage rating,if you have a link to the schematics of your Luxman, we can have a look see.The japanese tube is superior in terms of transconductance, plate resistance and power handling than the "american substitute" if we are to look at the spec sheets.

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/084/5/50C-A10.pdf
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/5/50C6GA.pdf
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/128/e/EF806S.pdf
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/093/6/6DT8.pdf

you can buy 50C6G (same filament voltage and current)for US$5 here: [url]http://www.vacuumtubes.com/price9.html[/url you can   email michael c. marx for more info.

the 6267 is very very expensive, you could probably get this new production EF86 tubes for much less...spending $100 on a single tube is way beyond my league...

the 6DT8 is more like a 12AT7 but different pin-out, or a 5670.Judging from the tubes used, i suspect that the circuit used is similar to a Mullard 5-20, just a hunch.

if you ask me, i would rather use 6550/KT88 or EL84 in triode mode, and depending on B+ even a 6L6GC/5881...if you wish to convert to trioded pentode.

BTW, replacing all electrolytics is justified since you have an old amp. it can help solve some of the clipping and lack of power issues that you are experiencing now. ;D

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2500 on: Nov 05, 2008 at 07:30 AM »
Tony,

You have a PM. I hope you'll have the time to look into the unit's problems should I have the opportunity to bring it there in the coming weeks.

Offline mykesr8

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2501 on: Nov 10, 2008 at 10:58 PM »
hi to all,

im myke, a newbie po..

i recently acquired a pair of yamaha mx2000 amp and cx2000 pre amp.

goin to start my set up with this receivers.. currently im auditioning a jamo sat 500.

any suggestion on speakers that will match my amp... tnx

i have pics... jst cant figure it out how to insert them... any help? ;D tnx
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2008 at 11:06 PM by mykesr8 »

Offline ATJr.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Leach Amp fan!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2502 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 11:04 AM »
i have pics... jst cant figure it out how to insert them... any help?

you can register at www.photobucket.com and upload your pics there....then link mo yung url...

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2503 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 05:48 PM »

...i recently acquired a pair of yamaha mx2000 amp and cx2000 pre amp...

You're very lucky to have those units. They're an awesome Yamaha combination, originally sold at about $5,500/pair back in late '80s. However, depreciation is also comparatively high. Current resale value in Japan for a pair is about $1,500.

Anyway, those are high-end units by any standard. That pair should sound best on good speakers, even low efficient ones. Probably made to drive the Yamaha NSX-10000 (1987), or, the GF-1 (1991) was probably assembled for it.

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/amp/cx-2000.html
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/amp/mx-2000.html
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/speaker/nsx-10000.html
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/speaker/gf-1.html

Offline mykesr8

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2504 on: Nov 11, 2008 at 11:36 PM »
hi,

tnx to tony, i finally linked the url. :) here are the pics. medyo blurred, jst got it from

my cam phone...

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq128/mykesr8/image001.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq128/mykesr8/image002.jpg

i jst got very lucky... i got this amp from my japanese furniture supplier, i guess he didnt knew the value.

even i was innocent about it, until i googled it. hehe ;D i hit the jackpot.. its a treasure.

im still looking for a good speaker that would maximize the full potential of my amp,

with the jamo sat 500 it gives off a clear sound.. but the imaging is not well defined...

tnx sandawa for the info, now i knw a little bit more about this vintage :)

mykesr8

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2505 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 08:55 AM »
With that kind of amp, you need to find speakers that would cost at least $2K/pair. Or, if you want to end your hunt for speakers, I'm willing to trade my Yamaha C-6, B-6, plus NS-690III and I could throw in a Sony CDP too  ;) . Biro lang!

Seriously, if I were you, I'd find (or order from surplus importers) at least a Yamaha NS-2000 to pair with that monster amp. Another option would be the big JBL monitors -- 4430 or 4435. I have a 4430 but I'm not selling it. Buying a used 4430 from US Ebay would cost you at least $3K including insurance and freight.

POSTSCRIPT:
I failed to mention. Take good care of that pair if it's a Japan domestic model (not many of those units went out of Japan). Always check your local voltage. If it comes out 220 volts or higher, use only a 100-volt transformer. Generally, sensitive parts of rare amps are unavailable in local electronic shops.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2008 at 09:18 AM by sandawa »

Offline southpeak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Desiderata
  • Liked:
« Reply #2506 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 05:38 PM »
hi to all,

im myke, a newbie po..

goin to start my set up with this receivers.. currently im auditioning a jamo sat 500.

Hi myke, welcome to Surplus section of Pdvd where old and vintage are always something new  :D.. hope you don’t mind, I posted pics of your fine gems para kita agad.. if you are interested, here is a longggggggg way to do it..
 ;D
Go here
http://load.imageshack.us/
Select upload button
Click browse
Choose desired file from computer then click Open tab
Selected Pics properties will appear on Browse box
Check re-size image (640x480) or desired size
Check remove size – resolution
Click Host it box
Open pinoy dvd (kung di pa naka bukas  ;D)
Go to desired subject topic and click Reply. Edit as necessary
Go back to host and copy URL of pics
Try second box (thumbnail for forums) and paste to reply message board
Click preview tab..  tadahhh (double click to enlarge pics)
When message is complete, click Post tab and you are done..
as i mentioned, longggggg way ;D

Hope this helps, and congratulation on your catch.. :)

« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2008 at 05:45 PM by southpeak »

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2507 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 05:44 PM »
hi to all,

im myke, a newbie po..

nice find sir and they seem to look like they were well maintained

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2508 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 06:42 PM »
My friendly trader was wrong again! I ordered an a607 MOS Limited similar to Terii's but what I got today is an a607 MOS Premium, which is a notch below. A used a607 MOS Limited's last transaction at Hifido was at roughly $1K. Alpha 607 MOS Premium's last transaction was about $725.

Got my a607 MOS Premium at roughly a third of its Tokyo indicative price, probably high for local standards, but I'm still happy. It has the sonic clarity of my a907 iMOS Limited but a bit lacking on deep bass. That's the difference I guess between an 18-kg. amp and 32-kg amp. Alpha 607 MOS Premium's parts are almost the same as the a907 iMOS Limited -- the brown Elna capacitors and the clean layout although disparity in size of transformers is obvious.

Here are a few photos for future owners' reference:

Offline mykesr8

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2509 on: Nov 12, 2008 at 10:25 PM »
hehe.. thats a good one sandawa ;)

and tnx for the tip. but im wondering if it would be better to get an avr for this amp..

yes its japan domestic, 100 volts is needed..

im on a tight budget for the speakers.. 10 to 15k pesos is all i can shed, its my next goal,

to find a bang for the buck speakers for my setup.. :)

the amp is well maintained indeed.. few minor scratches only. vu meter working great,

overall the amp is in pristine condition.. it also goes with the preamp..

tnx southpeak for the info. il try it next time i post..

il keep a copy of the of your post as a kodigo. hehe.. :)

tnx guys for thi info.

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2510 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 07:22 AM »
Yamaha MX-2000 has a lot of reserve power to provide you with deep clean bass. Your amp would surely drive small speakers happy but you should hear first how it performs when paired with heavyweight Yamaha speakers that are available from the used market there in Metro Manila.

A P15K budget would be enough for a Yamaha NS-1000M (P8K to P10K - original price: 250,000 yen/pair) and a 750-watt 100-volt transformer (P2K). The second option is an NS-690 series (P5K to P7K - original price: 160,000 yen/pair). Both NS-1000M and NS-690 have 12-inch woofers that could faithfully reproduce low notes. If you post "Looking For" those speakers in the buy-and-sell section of this forum, I would not be surprised if your get reasonable offers.

I'm just kidding about swapping my Yamaha C-6, B-6 combo  ;). The 200wpc pyramid-shaped B-6 is a rare piece and produced in limited number due to a lawsuit threat Yamaha received from Bob Carver. I don't think I could find another pair of those collectibles in this country. But I could let go of my NS-690III. The problem is I'm based in Davao and a pair of 690III weighs over 50 kgs. I'd rather keep it here, no hassle, unless someone wants to pick it up at the right price from my place.

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #2511 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 07:45 AM »
My friendly trader was wrong again! I ordered an a607 MOS Limited similar to Terii's but what I got today is an a607 MOS Premium, which is a notch below. A used a607 MOS Limited's last transaction at Hifido was at roughly $1K. Alpha 607 MOS Premium's last transaction was about $725.

Got my a607 MOS Premium at roughly a third of its Tokyo indicative price, probably high for local standards, but I'm still happy. It has the sonic clarity of my a907 iMOS Limited but a bit lacking on deep bass. That's the difference I guess between an 18-kg. amp and 32-kg amp. Alpha 607 MOS Premium's parts are almost the same as the a907 iMOS Limited -- the brown Elna capacitors and the clean layout although disparity in size of transformers is obvious.

CONGRATS nani!

" pero kung bitin ka sa bass, wag kang mag-alala may magmamahal sa iyo (a607premium), nandito ako!" ;D

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2512 on: Nov 13, 2008 at 02:44 PM »
Rene,

Ang maganda dito sa MOS Premium, merong jack for a separate power amp with front panel control. All you have to do is turn a knob if you're not happy with the built-in power amp section. Kaya heto, naghihintay ng konting lakas para ibaba yung isang mabigat na Denon POA-1001 to provide the second option for this new toy.

I'm excited again! BTW, may tatlo pang alpha 607 dito sa kaibigan ko: a607i, a607XR, at a607 Extra. Also a Technics/Panasonic THX amp (SU-TX50) with 480 watts power consumption -- katulad na nung 1/2 HP aircon ang konsumo. Tapos meron pang padating na Onkyo Integra 919, which could put out 420 watts per channel at 2 ohms. Ang masakit lang, medyo nagtaas by an average of 50% ang presyo ng Jap hifi dito. Pero at least may dumadating na good-quality gear.

Offline blue_123

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • smell the flowers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #2513 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 04:53 PM »
Wow sir Sandawa you have a very nice amp there. Congratulations. Hirap na maghanap ng ganyan dito ngayon. I had a chance to get a 607nra (gold) before, but choose a 907 limited just wondering if a made the right decision :) mali yata
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2008 at 04:56 PM by blue_123 »

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2514 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 09:12 PM »
You mean you have an Alpha 907 Limited (Approximate Current Resale Value: $1,500)? That's the second best integrated amp in the Alpha series built by Sansui. The Alpha 607NRA is more like a model in the regular line -- not a special one. If what you got is an AU-D907 Limited (ACRV: $300 to $900), I think that's still better than Alpha 607 NRA (ACRV: $400).

Offline blue_123

• Collector
  • smell the flowers
  • Liked:
« Reply #2515 on: Nov 14, 2008 at 11:57 PM »
It's just the au-d907 limited. not the top of the line model. makinis din kasi yung 607nra really had a hard time choosing at that time. Thanks for the input sir  :)

Offline sandawa

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2516 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 06:52 AM »
You're wise enough to choose AU-D907 Limited over a607NRA. However, the newer a607NRA II would be almost at parity with D907 Limited, in my opinion.

If you check Hifido's recent transactions on AU-D907 Limited, the current indicative price has climbed from 35,000 yen to 98,000 yen. As I've noted in previous years, the increasing demand from European audiophiles and international hifi collectors for upscale made-for-Japan Sansui amps would drive prices of these items way up.

High resale value of an amp reflects increasing demand for it, indicating further that such item has attributes that the market generally prefers over comparable units.

Look here:
http://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/?lang=E&gcode=1&keyword=AU-D907+Limited&limit=10
http://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/?lang=E&gcode=1&keyword=AU-a607+NRA&limit=10
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008 at 07:14 PM by sandawa »

Offline blue_123

• Collector
  • smell the flowers
  • Liked:
« Reply #2517 on: Nov 15, 2008 at 11:19 PM »
I just wish that I have started early like you guys in collecting vintage gears, I can just imagine the excitement of hunting down those Top of the line models, parang treasure hunt siguro  :)  at reasonable prices pa. Baka meron na din akong TOL model of every Jap brand  :)  I wish upon a star... :D

Offline terii

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #2518 on: Nov 16, 2008 at 12:59 AM »

Hi Sandawa

congratulation for 607 mos premium on the lack of bass, I think the transformer is involved, the transformer of 607 mos limited weighs 11kg him on the 607 nra2 the sound is almost identical to mos limited but the difference it is the bass that are present, it confirms what I read on forums on the Japanese nra
now I use them in biamp horizental:
607 mos  limited   to high  pass infinity renaissance 90
607 nra2  to  low pass infinity renaissance90
very nice soundstage
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2008 at 01:57 AM by terii »
sony CDP R3 ,préam vincent SA-3,sansui B2301,infinity renaissance90

Offline terii

• Apprentice
  • Liked: