Author Topic: Samsung PS51E550 3D Full HD Plasma TV  (Read 101662 times)

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Samsung PS51E550 3D Full HD Plasma TV
« Reply #180 on: Dec 22, 2012 at 11:39 PM »
To all the users of this TV, have you tried checking on your panel usage time?  I checked mine and it shows 1024 hours (by pressing mute-7-3-7-enter) it's different from the one on the service menu, because that one gets reset after a factory reset.
Thanks sir for the info.
Hope all things go well on your situation with the unit.

To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #181 on: Dec 23, 2012 at 12:14 AM »
Mute-7-3-7-Enter doesn't work on my 51E550.  I wonder why :( .

================

I finally got Mute-7-3-7-Enter to work.  I have an MRT of 196 (Mains Running Time of 196 Hours).  This sounds about right.  This is a seldom-used TV, and I initially gave it a 100-hour break-in.

The original Sammy remote has a narrow transmission range, but the TV's IR sensor has a wider reception range.  I've already gotten used to the wider range of my Philips learning remote, so I have no complaints.

However, I used the original Sammy remote when I attempted Mute-7-3-7-Enter, and I forgot all about the narrower range of the original Sammy remote.  As I was entering the code, my original Sammy remote infra red signal was going in and out of range without my noticing.

« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2012 at 01:21 AM by barrister »

Offline Macmon

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #182 on: Dec 23, 2012 at 10:55 AM »
Sir Barrister,

Just to clarify, you used the Sammy Remote that came with the unit but had to be in the IR remote range to make the mute-737 to work?

This will be useful when buying one. :)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #183 on: Dec 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM »
Yes, I used the Sammy remote that came with the unit.  And yes, I had to be within the remote's range for the code to work.

The code must be entered correctly.  If the IR goes out of range without your noticing, then the code won't enter correctly.  If you're used to the narrow range of the Sammy remote, you won't have problems.

In my case, I got used to the wider range of the Philips Learning remote, so when I used the Sammy remote again after months of non-use, I forgot about its narrower range.

I'm sure the code would have worked using the Philips Learning remote.  But I decided to use the original Sammy remote for entering the code, just in case the non-original remote gives me unanticipated problems such as IR variances that could brick my TV.

I'm guessing the narrower range of the Sammy remote was a deliberate design choice.  To prevent the IR signal from unintentionally affecting other boxes on your rack, you're forced to point the remote directly towards the TV. 

Use a universal remote and you'll notice that the IR sensor on the Sammy TV itself has a wider reception range, since the universal remote works flawlessly even if it's not pointed at the TV.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2012 at 01:20 PM by barrister »

Offline markuzbrutuz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #184 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 01:33 AM »
Hi boss Barrister,

According to this link, the 51E550 has a bulit in PVR??
All you need is an external HDD and you can record shows?
Sounds really good! Can you confirm this? :)
http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/plasma-tv/PS51E550D1MXRD-features

Thanks!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #185 on: Dec 29, 2012 at 03:15 PM »
Hi boss Barrister,

According to this link, the 51E550 has a bulit in PVR??
All you need is an external HDD and you can record shows?
Sounds really good! Can you confirm this? :)
http://www.samsung.com/nz/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/plasma-tv/PS51E550D1MXRD-features

Thanks!

Sorry sir, I can't confirm this for you because I'm worried that the TV will mess up my external HDD or USB flash drive.

From what I've read on foreign forums, implementation of Sammy's PVR is terrible.  USB flash drives don't work.  You have to use a USB HDD, but the TV formats the drive to an XFS file system.  Then the TV can only handle digital broadcast streams, not analog, since the TV won't convert the analog signals to digital.

I'm sure it will work if you have the time and the patience to learn how Sammy's PVR code operates.  But if you're thinking that it's going to work as easily as the old VHS recorders did, I'd say you're going to be disappointed, because it's going to be more trouble than it's worth. 

===================================

Try browsing the SammyGo site:

http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4040

This is a Samsung TV tech site.  Most of the members are not native English speakers, so don't be surprised kung mas magaling pa tayong mag-English  :D .   Maybe they're South Koreans.

Another sample thread:

http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4242

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2012 at 03:21 PM by barrister »

Offline markuzbrutuz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #186 on: Dec 30, 2012 at 01:35 PM »
Thanks for the info! :)

Offline busabos

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #187 on: Jan 02, 2013 at 01:45 PM »
I hooked up my PS3 to this tv and I wasnt very pleased with the picture quality, both movies and games.  PQ is bland, kinda washed out and a little pixelated.  Do you guys experience the same? is there any work around?  With my previous plasma (Panasonic 42PV8) PQ was A LOT BETTER.  Is this normal?

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #188 on: Jan 02, 2013 at 03:20 PM »
One more thing, I also noticed that motion blur on this tv seems very obvious (using the built in media player via usb as media source), is there a remedy to that?  Can an external media player eliminate that? If yes, I need your recommendation on this.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #189 on: Jan 02, 2013 at 05:10 PM »
I hooked up my PS3 to this tv and I wasnt very pleased with the picture quality, both movies and games. PQ is bland, kinda washed out and a little pixelated. Do you guys experience the same? is there any work around? With my previous plasma (Panasonic 42PV8) PQ was A LOT BETTER. Is this normal?

No, that's not normal.

On the E550, the picture has excellent saturation & color accuracy, and has no pixellation.

One more thing, I also noticed that motion blur on this tv seems very obvious (using the built in media player via usb as media source), is there a remedy to that? Can an external media player eliminate that? If yes, I need your recommendation on this.

I tried the built-in USB player once on this TV, and performance was also very good.

If you didn't like the built-in player's PQ, it's likely that you also wouldn't like the PQ from an external media player.

I was a long-time Panasonic plasma user prior to this Samsung TV, and my observation is that the 2012 Sammy is better than a similarly-priced Panny in image retention, screen uniformity, color accuracy, motion handling and posterization.  However, the 2011 & 2012 Panny are better when it comes to black levels.

But if you don't like the Samsung plasma's PQ, then it's just not the TV for you.  I suggest sticking to the Panasonic plasmas.
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2013 at 05:14 PM by barrister »

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #190 on: Jan 02, 2013 at 07:05 PM »
Sir Barrister, I sent you a pm, maybe you can help me with my problem.  Thanks!

Offline Macmon

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #191 on: Jan 02, 2013 at 07:46 PM »
sir busabos, maybe its the video file resolution is the limiting item.

Offline guido

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #192 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 09:22 AM »
mga sirs, advice lang po.
im deciding between this 51e550 or 51e450.

use is mainly cable tv viewing from a distance of 3.5-5m. would i notice the difference?
sayang din kasi yung almost 20k na savings and i wont be using 3d or smart features
is the improve picture quality worth the price upgrade
tia
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013 at 07:58 PM by guido »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #193 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 10:49 AM »
I recommend the lower model E450.

On high definition at a distance of about 3 m., you would notice the difference.  But for cable TV at 3.5m. to 5m., the difference will be hard to see.

If you eventually go for high definition videos, upgrading would be easy because the E450 is so cheap that it's going to be very easy to sell.

That's why I don't like high end gear.  Hirap ibenta pag upgrade time na.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2013 at 10:51 AM by barrister »

Offline guido

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #194 on: Jan 03, 2013 at 03:01 PM »
thanks sa reply sir barrister.
just in time before the stocks in sns arrive.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #195 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 02:04 AM »
What are the current prices on malls and resellers these days?

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #196 on: Jan 07, 2013 at 11:09 AM »
PS51E550 P54,000. free hte453 and skype camera

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #197 on: Jan 09, 2013 at 07:51 PM »
Question, would this TV read Hard disks greater than 1 TB? if yes, what's the maximum sie it can read?

Offline lynkchiz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #198 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM »
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Za4-oTLj_2o/UPQu3K7hV4I/AAAAAAAACLU/yIXmZJXjat4/s1280/20130114_133316.jpg

bought this TV Set bago mag new year. sadly last week the wifi module died  :) good thing local unit kinuha ko and for replacement na ang wifi module :) good news is hiwalay ang wifi module and hindi buong board ang papalitan :) on my 196th hour panaman na sana sa break in tapos the wifi module died hehe anyways okay na okay parin at maayos na rin this week :) temporarily wired muna :)

Offline lynkchiz

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #199 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM »
Question, would this TV read Hard disks greater than 1 TB? if yes, what's the maximum sie it can read?
i just tried this morning with my 500gb seagate external drive, set to NTFS and a 12gb Bourne Legacy MKV straight to the TV, solve na solve walang problema :) plays smoother than with VLC, not sure if native 24 fps na agad ang playblack

Offline griv

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #200 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 07:25 AM »
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Za4-oTLj_2o/UPQu3K7hV4I/AAAAAAAACLU/yIXmZJXjat4/s1280/20130114_133316.jpg

bought this TV Set bago mag new year. sadly last week the wifi module died  :) good thing local unit kinuha ko and for replacement na ang wifi module :) good news is hiwalay ang wifi module and hindi buong board ang papalitan :) on my 196th hour panaman na sana sa break in tapos the wifi module died hehe anyways okay na okay parin at maayos na rin this week :) temporarily wired muna :)

how did they diagnose that it was defective? mine cannot detect my ssid, that's why i'm interested with this...only thing is, its able to detect other wifi connected equipment like ipad and laptops...
When you are with me, I'm free...I'm careless...I believe...

Offline griv

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #201 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 07:26 AM »
i just tried this morning with my 500gb seagate external drive, set to NTFS and a 12gb Bourne Legacy MKV straight to the TV, solve na solve walang problema :) plays smoother than with VLC, not sure if native 24 fps na agad ang playblack

i've been using a 1TB hd with it...no problems so far, haven't tried a larger size one though...
When you are with me, I'm free...I'm careless...I believe...

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #202 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 10:56 AM »
nakaka-tempt bilhin ang tv na to! 48k na lang sa SnS!  :o
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline cnn

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #203 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 01:47 PM »
nakaka-tempt bilhin ang tv na to! 48k na lang sa SnS!  :o
wow... Good price talaga...

The prices of 50incher units will surely begin to drop in 2013. 

I hope by 2013 December , prices of 50inch units will be in the range of 40k ~ 45k...

That would be a good time for consumers to upgrade their 42inch units....

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 05:25 PM »
Sa akin pareho rin yon.  Basta I avoid the high-end ones, Ok na ako.

Kung sasabihin ngayon na sa last quarter of 2013 ang good time to buy, pagdating ng last quarter of 2013, ang sasabihin naman, last quarter of 2014 ang good time to buy.  Pagdating ng last quarter of 2014, ang sasabihin naman, last quarter of 2015 ang good time to buy.

The phrase "good time to buy," we hear that every year.

Imagine if somebody's been waiting since 1950 to buy a good TV, and bought one only in 2013.  Kung bumili siya ng TV noong 1950, pangit ang TV niya, black and white CRT na, wala pang remote, ang liit pa, mahal pa.  Lugi.  Kung 2013 siya bumili ng first TV niya, e di colored na, flat panel pa, ang laki pa, may remote pa, at mura pa.  Sulit para sa kanya.

Kaya lang, 63 years siyang walang TV...  ^-^ O0

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2013 at 05:26 PM by barrister »

Offline andrewlim

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #205 on: Jan 15, 2013 at 08:50 PM »
Guys im really torn between 51e550 and 50vt30. I tried searching for a comparison review between the two but cant find any. Im gonna be using it mostly on watching 1080p mkv and BD ISOs on my dedicated media player. My main TV (UN60D7000) is in my HT room so I will be placing this in our bedroom. I was wondering if I can get your expert advice on my dilemma.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #206 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM »
They're both good, so you can't go wrong either way. 

The Sammy will have better screen uniformity; the Panny will have better black levels.

The Sammy is newer, so it will have the advantage of newer features such as a Bluetooth 3D (The Panny uses infrared), and better Smart features.  However, even if the Sammy is newer, it's only their lowest-end 1080p 3D for 2012, while the Panny is their highest-end plasma for 2011, so the Panny has a high-end screen filter and high-end panel.

Me, I choose the Sammy, since screen uniformity is more important to me than black levels, considering that the Sammy's black levels are already very good.

But since you already have a Sammy LED, and you're already used to Sammys, I suggest getting another Sammy for the bedroom.  Having one TV brand for the whole house gives you the advantage of consistency between TV menus and remote layouts.  It's a pain to have to remember the different menus and remote layouts of different TV brands.  Not only for you, but also for the other family members.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013 at 01:59 PM by barrister »

Offline busabos

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 01:04 PM »
Sir, sorry for the ignorance, but what does it mean by screen uniformity?  Does it have something to do with how the tv outputs the movie (widescreen or full screen)?

The reason I asked is I notice that when I play some of my movies on my VT30 it comes out full screen, while on my E550 it shows wide screen.  I believe the latter is more accurate as the full screen on the VT30 seems stretched.  Im not sure if it's just the setting but the VT30 is set to default (factory defaults).
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013 at 01:12 PM by busabos »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: Jan 16, 2013 at 01:26 PM »
The reason I asked is I notice that when I play some of my movies on my VT30 it comes out full screen, while on my E550 it shows wide screen.  I believe the latter is more accurate as the full screen on the VT30 seems stretched.  Im not sure if it's just the setting but the VT30 is set to default (factory defaults).

I'm sure the VT30 can also be set correctly.  It's too high-end to be that limited.

Sir, sorry for the ignorance, but what does it mean by screen uniformity? Does it have something to do with how the tv outputs the movie (widescreen or full screen)?

No, it's not about full screen vs. widescreen.

Screen uniformity refers to the consistency of the image across the entire screen.  The test to reveal uniformity is usually a plain white or light gray pattern.

Look for the green blob on the center and pink tint on the sides:

Panny VT30 (2011)

Panny VT50 (2012)
http://www.avforums.com/forums/16993902-post988.html

(Note: There are many VT30 and VT50 users who report that they don't have the green blob.)

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2013 at 01:39 PM by barrister »

Offline Destroben

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: Jan 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM »
Dagdag din ako ng pros sa sinabi ni barrister sammy plasmas are brighter than panny and they are also less prone to IR compared to panny plasma.