Author Topic: NBA 2012-2013 Season  (Read 869755 times)

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: NBA 2012-2013 Season
« Reply #4950 on: Feb 14, 2013 at 09:26 PM »
agree. media votes destroyed kobe's chances of getting more than one mvp award. i still remember the one mvp award given to nash instead of kobe. he has lots of haters in the media. im suprised he even won an mvp award

What year was this?  Because the first time Nash won the MVP, he beat out Shaq.  The second one he beat Lebron.

2004-2005 Season
1.  Nash
2.  Shaq
3.  Nowitzki
4.  Duncan
5.  Iverson

2005-2006 Season
1.  Nash
2.  Lebron
3.  Nowitzki
4.  Kobe
5.  Billups

I assume you are referring to the 2nd one?

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4951 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM »
i think 2005-2006 where kobe lead the league in scoring.

most of the people around the nba thinks kobe should have won except for the ones that actually cast the vote
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013 at 12:17 AM by frequenzy »

Offline marsie38

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4952 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 01:08 AM »
To be an mvp does not mean you should have the league top score. There is a specific award for those. In order to be a MVP you should posses the respect and leadership of your whole team. That is why nash won the title instead of kobe. And if you check the list kobe is not even ranked number 2 in the voting.
~*mars*~

Offline frequenzy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
« Reply #4953 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 01:36 AM »
To be an mvp does not mean you should have the league top score. There is a specific award for those. In order to be a MVP you should posses the respect and leadership of your whole team. That is why nash won the title instead of kobe. And if you check the list kobe is not even ranked number 2 in the voting.
that time kobe was the only star player on the lakers team and they were able to get into the playoffs. unfortunately its a media vote thats why kobe lost. not really a kobe fan but imho he should have won that year. anyway its all in the past.

this season, if lebron continues to do what he is doing he should get the mvp award. lebron is really on god mode :) kumbaga sa 2k13 naka 99 slider siya
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013 at 01:42 AM by frequenzy »

Offline ABCmotorparts

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 630
« Reply #4954 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 03:15 AM »
Hehehe... nbc = blissfully ignorant.

I love the Ignore User function. :)

Go Lakers!!!

nbc

aba, gumagana nga sir,...
Hahahaha,...

Neat little feature eh,...

Thanks,....

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4955 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 03:27 AM »
Indeed... The ring is indeed the basis of being great provided you are the focal point of the team that wins the championship. For example Jordan and etc., Unlike Horry He has 7 rings but he is just a role player that a coach puts in the game to support the leader. It just so happen that Horry is one lucky dude. So no matter how many a ring you got but if you are only a supporting cast it does not count but instead you are just being blessed.

Tipong Robert Parish ang dating, he was in the right team, at the right time,...
Tama naman sir, alam naman ng kahit sinong fan ang tutoo, kung talagang deserving kang tawagin na champion,
dahil sa contribution mo sa team, kung anong impact ang naibigay mo para makuha ang championship ring,
Horry was a "good" player, but I would not say na pang-MVP performance yun,...
Cheers,...

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #4956 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 03:40 AM »
that time kobe was the only star player on the lakers team and they were able to get into the playoffs. unfortunately its a media vote thats why kobe lost. not really a kobe fan but imho he should have won that year. anyway its all in the past.

this season, if lebron continues to do what he is doing he should get the mvp award. lebron is really on god mode :) kumbaga sa 2k13 naka 99 slider siya

The year I felt disappointed about season MVP's was when Shaq won over JKidd.  That year was a break out year for JKidd's skills, both as a leader and as a court general.  He led a NJN team to the NBA finals that year with a group of role players and his best sidekick was a predictable K-Mart.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #4957 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 04:45 AM »
What year was this?  Because the first time Nash won the MVP, he beat out Shaq.  The second one he beat Lebron.

2004-2005 Season
1.  Nash
2.  Shaq
3.  Nowitzki
4.  Duncan
5.  Iverson

2005-2006 Season
1.  Nash
2.  Lebron
3.  Nowitzki
4.  Kobe
5.  Billups

I assume you are referring to the 2nd one?

second one of course. He carried the Lakers on his shoulder into the playoffs. Kwame, Mihm, Smush Parker, Medvedenko and all the other no-names. It wasn't about Kobe's scoring. It was about how he was able to bring the lakers, albeit not the best record, into the playoffs and even gave the suns an upset scare.

to be an MVP you need only enough first place votes from the media. all the factors you mentioned is not in black and white. the media can whimsically choose among the players who they want to win it. there's no clear standard. it all depends on what the voter.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #4958 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 04:46 AM »
The year I felt disappointed about season MVP's was when Shaq won over JKidd.  That year was a break out year for JKidd's skills, both as a leader and as a court general.  He led a NJN team to the NBA finals that year with a group of role players and his best sidekick was a predictable K-Mart.

Felt ths same way. Though I think you are referring to Tim Duncan instead of Shaq. It was the 2001-2002 season where Jason Kidd immediately propelled the Nets to the finals in only his first year with the team.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #4959 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 05:34 AM »
second one of course. He carried the Lakers on his shoulder into the playoffs. Kwame, Mihm, Smush Parker, Medvedenko and all the other no-names. It wasn't about Kobe's scoring. It was about how he was able to bring the lakers, albeit not the best record, into the playoffs and even gave the suns an upset scare.

Nash also had those no name players as well at the time since they weren't proven commodities then in Bell, Diaw, House, Jones for majority of the season. Lakers did have Lamar Odom so he cancels out Shawn Marion. And remember this was the year Amare was practically out the whole year. Joe Johnson was traded and the Suns lost QRich as well. But the Suns' record was still 54-28.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4960 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 06:40 AM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1529521-michael-jordan-endorses-kobe-bryant-over-lebron-james

Jordan thinks it's the number of rings that count ...

(excerpts):

Michael Jordan wants Kobe Bryant and LeBron James to understand that five is better than one.

When asked by NBA TV's Ahmad Rashad about which of the two, Kobe or LeBron, has had the better career to this point, His Airness wasted little time in showering Bryant with championship-fueled praise (via Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel):

"If you had to pick between the two, that would be a tough choice, but five beats one every time I look at it.

And not that he [James] won't get five. He may get more than that, but five is bigger than one."

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4961 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 06:43 AM »
Felt ths same way. Though I think you are referring to Tim Duncan instead of Shaq. It was the 2001-2002 season where Jason Kidd immediately propelled the Nets to the finals in only his first year with the team.

Oh was it Timmy Duncan?  Oh yeah now i remember it was Shaq who acknowledged JKidd after Shaq won the Finals MVP right?  Thanks for the correction.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013 at 06:52 AM by Timithekid »
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline ABCmotorparts

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4962 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 06:53 AM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1529521-michael-jordan-endorses-kobe-bryant-over-lebron-james

Jordan thinks it's the number of rings that count ...

(excerpts):

Michael Jordan wants Kobe Bryant and LeBron James to understand that five is better than one.

When asked by NBA TV's Ahmad Rashad about which of the two, Kobe or LeBron, has had the better career to this point, His Airness wasted little time in showering Bryant with championship-fueled praise (via Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel):

"If you had to pick between the two, that would be a tough choice, but five beats one every time I look at it.

And not that he [James] won't get five. He may get more than that, but five is bigger than one."

Mismo,...

May mga kantyawan nga parati sa commentary booth kapag nandun si Barkley,
parating nagiging issue ang championship ring, and yes, no one is dismissing LBJ's
capability and talent, kaya if he plays intelligently, paniguradong higit pa sa 5 or 7
ang makukuha nyang championship rings, but yes, he won't be able to do it on his own,
kailangan nya ang team nya, palagay ba ng mga fans ni LBJ, makukuha nya ang championship
kung nasa Cleveland pa sya,..?

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4963 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 06:59 AM »
Mismo,...

parating nagiging issue ang championship ring, and yes, no one is dismissing LBJ's
capability and talent, kaya if he plays intelligently, paniguradong higit pa sa 5 or 7
ang makukuha nyang championship rings, but yes, he won't be able to do it on his own,
kailangan nya ang team nya, palagay ba ng mga fans ni LBJ, makukuha nya ang championship
kung nasa Cleveland pa sya,..?

Who better to describe what matters to sports players and what they consider to be a sign of greatness than the athlethes themselves?  No mater what announcers or casual fans say about achieving sports greatness, its what the athletes say themselves that should have more weight on the matter, after all, its them who's playin', we just watchin'.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4964 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 07:39 AM »
Mismo,...

kung nasa Cleveland pa sya
,..?

"The Decision", much maligned by many including me, was the right decision after all.  Nobody's disputing that anymore.  You can't argue with success.

Eto naman sabi ni James about Jordan's statement -

"It doesn't matter to me. If you take Kobe one and I go second, it doesn't matter. I don't get too involved in what guys say about me or if you take Kobe or if you take LeBron. As long as I'm on the floor and I make plays for my teammates, I don't do what I do for other people's approval."

I love this guy.  Another intangible to add to the greatness of this guy is his being level headed and down to earth. 

Offline Timithekid

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4965 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 07:54 AM »
"The Decision", much maligned by many including me, was the right decision after all.  Nobody's disputing that anymore.  You can't argue with success.

Eto naman sabi ni James about Jordan's statement -

"It doesn't matter to me. If you take Kobe one and I go second, it doesn't matter. I don't get too involved in what guys say about me or if you take Kobe or if you take LeBron. As long as I'm on the floor and I make plays for my teammates, I don't do what I do for other people's approval."

I love this guy.  Another intangible to add to the greatness of this guy is his being level headed and down to earth. 
I've never had issues with LBJ on the court, he's not very different from MJ, he just wants to win. nuff said.  A case can be made though about his off court ego, although unsubstantiated, LBJ is a difficult character to handle.
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4966 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 07:57 AM »
Go Lakers!!! :)

nbc
***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***

Offline ayosbathere

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #4967 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 08:26 AM »
not 1, not 2, 3, 4....

All NBA fans want to witness this not 1 not 2 bla bla...

kakasabi nga lang ni Steve Smith kanina.. we can't compare the two (MJ & LJ6) until Lebron ended his career in NBA.

simple math nga naman 5 is better than 1 :) but He may get more than that, but five is bigger than one.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013 at 08:28 AM by ayosbathere »

Offline blue_123

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • smell the flowers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #4968 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 08:29 AM »
Metta World Peace for MVP   :P

Offline nbc

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4969 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 08:37 AM »
Metta World Peace for MVP   :P

+1000

nbc
***Take a Walk on the Dark Side***

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #4970 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 08:58 AM »
Linsanity looks like a midget  ;D

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4971 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 09:06 AM »
haha. galing ni MJ ah. nagbabasa yata sa PDVD.

Online anya618

• Trade Count: (+3196)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • it PAYS to be patient ;D
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2669
« Reply #4972 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 09:07 AM »
haha. galing ni MJ ah. nagbabasa yata sa PDVD.

malapit na pala mag 50 si MJ  ^-^
viber/cp# 09175040694 (PLS INDICATE USERNAME)

Offline VenoM_Unleashed

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #4973 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 09:26 AM »
Oklahoma vs Miami just got started. Okey ang reception ng fans sa OKC, parang championship na para sa kanila ang laban ng Thunder sa Heat ngayon  :)

Go Heat!

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4974 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 09:36 AM »
Nash also had those no name players as well at the time since they weren't proven commodities then in Bell, Diaw, House, Jones for majority of the season. Lakers did have Lamar Odom so he cancels out Shawn Marion. And remember this was the year Amare was practically out the whole year. Joe Johnson was traded and the Suns lost QRich as well. But the Suns' record was still 54-28.

oh please. The suns already had a system that fit all the players' style. Tim Thomas, Raja Bell, Eddie House, James Jones were great shooters that fit well into D'antoni's system. Diaw blossomed surprisingly at Stoudemire's spot but you cannot say that Odom and Marion cancel out each other. that's a little outrageous to say if you actually followed the Lakers. I followed the Lakers all season long that year and Odom was one inconsistent dude all throughout the season. One night he'll be a double-double guy, the next night he does a vanishing act. Marion was still The Matrix that time. Still a legit all-star. No contest there. And the rest of the Phoenix bunch were pieces that fit right where they should be. Barbosa was also there when he was still the Brazilian blur. Tim Thomas was a stretch four and it was that time when he became such a big douche with his "you can't see me" antic whenever he made a 3point shot.

As for the Lakers, new system (back to the triangle for Kobe, new for most other Lakers), LEGIT scrub players (Smush, Kwame, Mihm, Brian Cook, Medvedenko, Laron Profit, Devean George, Luke Walton),Kwame Brown, Kwame Brown, Kwame Brown.

Seriously, watch Kwame Brown as a Lakers player. this is my take on that year for the Lakers. They had it tough and I didn't even imagine them to make it to the playoffs and when they did, I quickly dismissed them as a sure sweep team. Kobe was robbed and I think the MVP award he actually won was to make up for the season he was robbed of that award. and yes, I didn't think he deserved the MVP when he won it. But for the 2005-2006 season, he was and should have been the MVP

Offline frequenzy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
« Reply #4975 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 09:43 AM »
kinabahan ako sa bagsak ni durant!

Offline VenoM_Unleashed

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #4976 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM »
^ Ang sama ng lagapak, dinig na dinig. Pero tumayo pa din at naglaro pa. I hope KD's ok.

Masyado kasi gigil maglaro OKC, parang atat bumawi, ayan tambak na sila. Puro technical fouls na din sila. KD just got his 11 technical fouls of the season. No more mr nice guy na ata drama nya, kelan lang nakuha ni KD 'yung 1st Flagrant foul of his career.

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #4977 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM »
oh please. The suns already had a system that fit all the players' style. Tim Thomas, Raja Bell, Eddie House, James Jones were great shooters that fit well into D'antoni's system. Diaw blossomed surprisingly at Stoudemire's spot but you cannot say that Odom and Marion cancel out each other. that's a little outrageous to say if you actually followed the Lakers. I followed the Lakers all season long that year and Odom was one inconsistent dude all throughout the season. One night he'll be a double-double guy, the next night he does a vanishing act. Marion was still The Matrix that time. Still a legit all-star. No contest there. And the rest of the Phoenix bunch were pieces that fit right where they should be. Barbosa was also there when he was still the Brazilian blur. Tim Thomas was a stretch four and it was that time when he became such a big douche with his "you can't see me" antic whenever he made a 3point shot.

As for the Lakers, new system (back to the triangle for Kobe, new for most other Lakers), LEGIT scrub players (Smush, Kwame, Mihm, Brian Cook, Medvedenko, Laron Profit, Devean George, Luke Walton),Kwame Brown, Kwame Brown, Kwame Brown.

Seriously, watch Kwame Brown as a Lakers player. this is my take on that year for the Lakers. They had it tough and I didn't even imagine them to make it to the playoffs and when they did, I quickly dismissed them as a sure sweep team. Kobe was robbed and I think the MVP award he actually won was to make up for the season he was robbed of that award. and yes, I didn't think he deserved the MVP when he won it. But for the 2005-2006 season, he was and should have been the MVP

I guess it's a matter of perspective.  But even Jordan then in his early years averaged 35PPG with no help and put his team in the playoffs.  Nobody really expected him to win the MVP.  I think Nash did deserve the MVP not only for individual stats but his team's success as well as the leadership he displayed.  Moreover he made marginal players look good.  Tim Thomas, Raja Bell, Eddie House, James Jones may have fit D'Antoni's system and were decent shooters at best at that time.  But not great shooters then.  Diaw was a scrub in Arlanta before coming to Phoenix.  Odom is as talented as Marion.  Like you said, the difference is probably the system.  Odom was a big contributor in Miami the year before.  He and Wade were the catalysts for the team.  With Kobe taking all the shots, Odom's effectiveness is probably at par with Marion's.  Marion was only the Matrix because of Nash's help.  Outside of the Suns, Marion was just a bit better than a mediocre player.  While Odom's contributions were achieved with no Help from Bryant.  Barbosa throughout the season was in and out of the lineup with injuries. So he wasn't able to contribute that much.

And to appreciate what Nash did, those same players weren't the same after leaving the Suns.

But to put it in perspective considering the current line up.  Maybe Kobe was an MVP in 2006.  If that team won 47 games with scrubs, this year's team might not even reach the playoffs with no names such as Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Ron Artest, Steve Nash....  ;D :D
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM by DVD_Freak »

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 980
« Reply #4978 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM »
Jordan's interview with ESPN seemed very timely for the discussion here in this thread. Probably it will bring closure right now to what we are discussing between Kobe and LBJ. In the eyes and mind of the widely recognized as the GOAT....he will pick the one with the most rings between the two.

Siguro naman yung opinion ng casual fan na nanunood lang sa TV is totally different from opinion of THE GOAT himself. Whichever of the two opinions weighs more is quite obvious.

Baka lurker is Jordan dito hehehe.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2013 at 10:32 AM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4979 on: Feb 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM »
I guess it's a matter of perspective.  But even Jordan then in his early years averaged 35PPG with no help and put his team in the playoffs.  Nobody really expected him to win the MVP.  I think Nash did deserve the MVP not only for individual stats but his team's success as well as the leadership he displayed.  Moreover he made marginal players look good.  Tim Thomas, Raja Bell, Eddie House, James Jones may have fit D'Antoni's system and were decent shooters at best at that time.  But not great shooters then.  Diaw was a scrub in Arlanta before coming to Phoenix.  Odom is as talented as Marion.  Like you said, the difference is probably the system.  Odom was a big contributor in Miami the year before.  He and Wade were the catalysts for the team.  With Kobe taking all the shots, Odom's effectiveness is probably at par with Marion's.  Marion was only the Matrix because of Nash's help.  Outside of the Suns, Marion was just a bit better than a mediocre player.  While Odom's contributions were achieved with no Help from Bryant.  Barbosa throughout the season was in and out of the lineup with injuries. So he wasn't able to contribute that much.

And to appreciate what Nash did, those same players weren't the same after leaving the Suns.

But to put it in perspective considering the current line up.  Maybe Kobe was an MVP in 2006.  If that team won 47 games with scrubs, this year's team might not even reach the players with no names such as Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Ron Artest, Steve Nash....  ;D :D

decent shooters all throughout their careers but in D'antoni's system they flourished. 4 players shot over 40% from the 3point area.  That is a ridiculous feat. it's hard to match that with what the Lakers had. And no, Kobe's effort did not cancel out Odom's talent. It was more of Odom checking out on some nights just wanting to spectate rather than participate. I know because I watched them. I didn't just check out the stats. I watched the game and saw how disappointing it was to watch a very talented player like Odom playing like a scrub on every other game. Take out Kobe from that team, they would be a lottery team. Take out Nash from the suns that season, they'd still make the playoffs under the D'antoni system.

and yep, if the Lakers this year doesn't make the playoffs, my first post would be about how the scrub team with Kobe made it to the playoffs while the super team with Dwight Nash Pau and Kobe didn't. That's gonna sting. :D