Author Topic: PANNY 42VT30  (Read 134947 times)

Offline Tonmeister

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PANNY 42VT30
« Reply #240 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 08:02 AM »
Whose marketing strategy?  Panasonic or the gray market?

Sorry to disappoint you but I cannot share that information.

Why didnt you consult with your friend who claims to know the story of those VT30, prior to getting a VT30 in the first place?

As I've said in my post, I got the information after the incident. And honestly, I still would have gone through the process of purchasing a VT30 because it is such a beautiful TV to begin with.

does that imply na alam din dapat yon nung mga resident sellers natin, yet they offered the VT30 at such low prices without any asterisk or disclaimer?

I don't have info on this and wouldn't even speculate.

Tonmeister pano mo nakita bro?  penge naman idea, hanapan ko rin yun sakin thanks.

It was my wife and daughter who first spotted that there were green and pink patches in the "crab" scene in Pirates 3. From there, I tested other materials to verify and confirm the issue.

Like what barrister said, maybe your TV does not have any issue. Don't go looking for it if you don't see it. Just enjoy your TV.

Fellow members, this post was intended to make everyone aware that the green and pink tint issue is real and not just some urban legend that we've read on the internet. In the end, it's really your decision if you can live with the issue or not. In my case, it was my wife and daughter who complained and are annoyed with the problem. If I was the only one watching, then maybe I wouldn't have seen the issue,  kept the VT30, enjoy watching HD movies, and would not have bothered to create this post.

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 08:05 AM »
It might be the material that was used.

Guys, remember I complained as well about this earlier?

What I did was I played the same material exhibiting the color anomalies I complained about in my 42PV80, 42X30 and 42X20.

The same anomalies occurred with these displays.

Then I used the gray test patterns and did not see anything.

After that, I decided to keep the TV.  ;D

Cheers mate!

There you go. A happy camper :)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 08:27 AM »
Could someone kindly inform the time of that crab scene because I didnt really like the POTC series that much and I'd just like to timeseek to the scene directly.  I just want to see how it looks on my V2. Thanks!

Revskie I think your case is different. Yours appears to be a uniform tint but Tonmeister's case is that of patches (mantsa-mantsa).

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 08:42 AM »
I just want to see how it looks on my V2.

Your TV will look fine. 

The problem only started on the 2011 models, so your TV doesn't have that issue.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012 at 08:43 AM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #244 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 08:52 AM »
It might be the material that was used.

Guys, remember I complained as well about this earlier?

What I did was I played the same material exhibiting the color anomalies I complained about in my 42PV80, 42X30 and 42X20.

The same anomalies occurred with these displays.

Then I used the gray test patterns and did not see anything.

After that, I decided to keep the TV.  ;D

Cheers mate!
bro revskie, got the idea from you (gray test patterns), wala akong nakita (both store and when it got delivered).   :)
will keep the tv as well obviously but im just curious about this pink and green thingy :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Timithekid

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Peace out! :)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #245 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 09:06 AM »
bro revskie, got the idea from you (gray test patterns), wala akong nakita (both store and when it got delivered).   :)
will keep the tv as well obviously but im just curious about this pink and green thingy :D

Hehe, try not to look for it classmate, baka kada scene sa kahit anong movie hanapin mo eh...baka mainis ka lang.  ;)
PS51E550
BD5500
Marantz 5007/DV500
B&W/Klipsch/SVS
Audio: AMX/Klipsch

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 09:12 AM »
Baka naman wala talagang issue yung sa yo sir. 

Pero napansin daw niya sa crabs scene ng Pirates of the Caribbean 3, maybe green and pink areas on the white sand:

will check it out bro, pero diba dapat mas kita ito sa all white screen?
ninjababez online ..

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 09:18 AM »
Hehe, try not to look for it classmate, baka kada scene sa kahit anong movie hanapin mo eh...baka mainis ka lang.  ;)
curious lang classmate, gusto ko rin kasi makita. 

i dont know if bro barrister remembers pati yun sa irobot green thingy di ko rin nakita :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 09:36 AM »
So what's a good 60K-Pesos 50 inch alternative sa VT30 in case? 

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 09:38 AM »
wala na pala yung pirates ko dito :(
sinong pwede mag upload ng high resolution nung image ni bro barrister ;D
salamat in advance  :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 12:16 PM »

Agree. So, I won't bother posting the movies and slides used and the method I developed for testing.

Based on the photos posted by revskie, I think his TV is ok. The panels I tested are unacceptable.

« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2012 at 12:47 PM by Tonmeister »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 01:31 PM »
Kung meron pang ibang makakakita ng blobs (hopefully wala), paki post naman frame grab.  I just want to see how it looks, if it's really really that bad, or tolerable, or kung ano man.  Thanks!

Tonmeister, anong pinalit mong HDTV nga pala?  Regards

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #252 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 03:23 PM »
Tonmeister, anong pinalit mong HDTV nga pala?  Regards

None, got a refund. I'll just wait for the 2012 models to come out and hopefully the issues are acceptable/tolerable. Sayang talaga coz maganda features and aesthetics ng VT30.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 03:26 PM »
Agree. So, I won't bother posting the movies and slides used and the method I developed for testing.

Based on the photos posted by revskie, I think his TV is ok. The panels I tested are unacceptable.

oki lang bro, matagal ko na rin naman gusto makakita nun  :D
maski nung 2nd plasma ko, pv80 di ko rin sya mahanap.  curious lang din ako :)
post mo lang :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 04:31 PM »
oki lang bro, matagal ko na rin naman gusto makakita nun  :D
maski nung 2nd plasma ko, pv80 di ko rin sya mahanap.  curious lang din ako :)
post mo lang :D

Didn't had the time to take photos as I was focused on returning and replacing the unit. Just for reference, the color uniformity of the PV8 is far superior compared to the VT30s that I tested. But the PQ of the VT30 is hands down superb.

Offline Carlo777

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #255 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 04:41 PM »
We got the 42VT30 and a 50 inch S series plasma...

Will post review later today or tomorrow.

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Oct 01, 2012 at 04:56 PM »
Eh baka similar to IR, white screen tends to mask screen non-uniformity.

I wonder if something like Pixel Flipper of Wow Disney can rectify non-uniform screen?

will check it out bro, pero diba dapat mas kita ito sa all white screen?

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 02:10 AM »
Eh baka similar to IR, white screen tends to mask screen non-uniformity.

I wonder if something like Pixel Flipper of Wow Disney can rectify non-uniform screen?
yung tv ko kasi, has much better screen shots than that of revskie, pero im sure mas maganda yung actual nun kay revskie compared to the images he posted.
try ko nalang download ng Pirates nalang maski di ko type yung movie ;D
yan yun latest diba, part where JDepp was high?
ninjababez online ..

Offline seventhheaven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 08:11 AM »
I just bought a 42VT30. I don't see any green blobs on my screen after trying the slides but just to be sure I will also try the crab scene from POTC 3 once I'm able to get a copy of the said movie.

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2012 at 08:18 AM by seventhheaven »

Offline Clondalkin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 08:20 AM »
That news was 8 months ago pa, but anyway.

1.  Who's providing the local warranty on the VT30s - Panasonic Philippines or just the store?   Kung store lang, probably not likely to have "Panasonic's Approved Engineer."

2.  What are the manufacturing dates of those VT30s?   Are they before Feb 2012 (release of the referenced fix), or after.

Panasonic finally issues update for 'green blob' plasma problem

http://www.whathifi.com/news/panasonic-finally-issues-fix-for-green-blob-plasma-problem

sana kaya gawin to ng Panasonic Philippines.

I just bought a 42VT30. I don't see any green blobs on my screen but just to be sure I will also try the crab scene from POTC 3 once I'm able to get a copy of the said movie.

;)
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2012 at 08:24 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 01:14 PM »
That news was 8 months ago pa, but anyway.

1.  Who's providing the local warranty on the VT30s - Panasonic Philippines or just the store?   Kung store lang, probably not likely to have "Panasonic's Approved Engineer."

Hindi lang 8 months ago yan.  Yung whathifi article lang ang 8 months ago, pero yung sinasabing fix ay 2011 pa lumabas sa UK.

Like I've always said, Panasonic never fixed the green blob issue.

The so-called "fix" from Panasonic UK is not a simple firmware update that can be performed by the user.  It was a panel update that can only be performed by a Panny tech.  Maybe a service menu had to be entered before the patch can be installed.

Did the update fix the issue?  I don't think so.  Otherwise, we would have heard about it from the US and UK forums. 

Here's a sample post from the UK avforums which tends to cast doubt as to whether the fix was effective:

=========================
03-01-2012, 7:13PM                                                #398

Soundy 

Originally Posted by slc79 
Someone on here had the fix applied, but it did not change anything for him regarding the green blobs.

Yes I had a fix applied which was not a "normal" firmware update, it was described as a panel firmware update, and it unfortunately did not fix the green on my set. It came from Panasonic and was applied by an engineer of my retailer (via SD card).

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1545348-green-tinge-fault-panasonic-vt30-gt30-st30-part-2-a-14.html

The UK thread is now on its fifth part.   Sample post from the part 5 thread:

========================
16-04-2012, 8:04 PM                                           #5 

thejollyboys 

...Panasonic approved engineer came out and tried the software update, it was exactly the same as it was be before the update.

Didn't even check to see if the software was updated successfully, tele came back on after the update, but people still looked like they'd been touched by the incredible hulk. Homes under the hammer looked like someone had painted the walls with "white with a hint of green...

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1618569-green-tinge-fault-now-full-panasonic-2011-range-part-5-open-any-2012-sets.html#post16771115
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2012 at 01:54 PM by barrister »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 02:03 PM »
lahat ba ng vt30 units apektado?
btw nung namount na yung tv, test ko yung wifi for defects.  automatic nag update ng firmware.  wala akong napansin na bago.  :D
any other movies na pwede ma-test mga bro?  ^-^
ninjababez online ..

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 05:31 PM »
VT30 unpacked and being tested...So far so good.

We set this side by side with my 42V20, a 42C10 and a Sharp Quattron!

Screen Uniformity:

First thing I always check is the panel's uniformity. Compared to the V20 and the C10, the VT30 exhibits a near perfect screen play field, though we did notice a slight corner "light" but it's nothing really bad. Our V20, on the other hand, did not display any corner "unevenness", so it's worth mentioning.

Because of the numerous raves about this TV, we decided to be as critical as possible. It will also help me decide on wether the VT30 will be a keeper or not ;)

Initial HD test:

Fired up "The curious case of Benjamin Button" on our PS3 set to 1080p with 24p activated (All other picture enhancements from the TV was set to off). The black levels of this TV is AMAZING! Jet black, deep and inky, what I like about the VT30 (for now) is the fact that the picture definition is very plasma for a plasma...Reason I say this is because right after the V20, Panasonic plasma models were trying to emulate the brilliance of LCD and LED, which wasn't really a very good idea!

Colors were excellent and really brings me back to why I love plasma since the days of the PV70 (Had a short exrta marital affiar with LED after the V20). However, we noticed that there was a slight brightness shift to the VT30 but it's something we have to confirm, because as I write this initial impression...My partner and I are still marveling at this baby out of the box.

Tell you what...Our new test blu-ray "Titanic" from Amazon just arrived and we will watch the whole movie (2-D/3-D) today and give you guys feedback.

Green blobs? Don't know yet, but if anyone can point out a particular movie and scene, we'll look at it right away.

For now...bye :)

« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2012 at 05:46 PM by Carlo777 »

Offline Tonmeister

• DVD Addict
  • The Art Of Sound
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 09:54 PM »
Surfing the net wanting to learn more about the green and pink tint issue, I came across this review which best describes what I saw and experienced:

Cons
Although 50Hz improved, still some image break-up
'Green Blobs' visible on full white screens
Ineffective 2:2 Cadence Detection
Non-Detachable Mains Lead
HDMI Ports Too Close to Edge
3D Glasses Lenses are too Small

http://www.avforums.com/review/Panasonic-VT30-TX-P42VT30-42VT30-3D-Plasma-Review.html

Aside from the green tint, I also saw pink tint on other portions of the screen. It looked more like patches of land or stain than 'blob' as more commonly described.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2012 at 09:57 PM by Tonmeister »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Oct 02, 2012 at 10:41 PM »
Surfing the net wanting to learn more about the green and pink tint issue, I came across this review which best describes what I saw and experienced:

Cons
Although 50Hz improved, still some image break-up
'Green Blobs' visible on full white screens
Ineffective 2:2 Cadence Detection
Non-Detachable Mains Lead
HDMI Ports Too Close to Edge
3D Glasses Lenses are too Small

http://www.avforums.com/review/Panasonic-VT30-TX-P42VT30-42VT30-3D-Plasma-Review.html

Aside from the green tint, I also saw pink tint on other portions of the screen. It looked more like patches of land or stain than 'blob' as more commonly described.
thanks, atleast when im doing all white via dead pixel tester .. it is .. ALL WHITE!  :D
still curious about the crab scene though.  :)
ninjababez online ..

Offline Randy1981

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Oct 03, 2012 at 02:11 AM »
Share ko lng.got my 50vt30 nung 1st week of sept.then after 3 days when watching movies may napansin ako n manipis na vertical green line so i turned off the tv baka mawala pero ganun parin..i called the store na pinagbilihan about the issue may defect daw.pinagisipan ko mabuti kung magpapalit nlng if ill go for LED but i decided to changed nlang same model coz ganda talaga picture quality ng vt30  sayang.as of now so far so good naman.when i turn on the tv tinitignan ko tlaga mabuti kung may issues pa.i also played the pirates dont see anything about green and pink issue.check ko din manufactured date nov.2011.hope my vt30 will last longer.. ;)

Offline Carlo777

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Oct 03, 2012 at 06:22 PM »
HD Test (2-D)

Playing "Titanic" on the PS3 via HDMI and set to 1080p/24p, the VT30 remains solid! Colors are accurate and the night scenes are not marred by black crush. "Titanic" is a stellar Blu-Ray transfer and all it's glory is well rendered on this Panny. As usual motion handling is well done with mild flickers while 24p is activated, switching off 24p removes the movie cadence as well as the flickers...No major complains!

PS3:

Quick pans while playing "Resistance" set to 720p displays perfect input response time with no motion blurs, however, green trails can still be seen (although feint) while playing in high contrast areas!

3D and DVD next!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #267 on: Oct 03, 2012 at 07:07 PM »
As usual motion handling is well done with mild flickers while 24p is activated, switching off 24p removes the movie cadence as well as the flickers...No major complains!

I'm not familiar with the VT30 menu, but I hear that 24p can be set to 48Hz, 60Hz, or 96hz.

Users are saying that 24p flicker appears when the 48hz option is selected.  In your case, does the 24p flicker appear even when set to 60Hz or 96Hz?

I assume that a 96Hz refresh should be the best setting for 24p. 

48Hz is so slow that flicker is expected.  60Hz might be fast enough, yet the uneven matching of 60 refreshes with 24 frames (60 / 24 = 2.5) will require an uneven 2 refreshes for one frame, then 3 refreshes for the next, which could produce a very slight judder.  96Hz should produce smoother motion, since 96 / 24 gives us an even 4 refreshes per frame.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2012 at 07:19 PM by barrister »

Offline seventhheaven

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #268 on: Oct 03, 2012 at 08:03 PM »
just played POTC 3 ripped @ 720p on my VT30. No green or pink stuff seen
when I searched and played that infamous crab scene.

Question lang, should I use a specific mode when watching the scene para makita yung green or pink smudges? I even set the brightness to max pero wala pa rin akong nakita eh. Safe na ba unit ko?

My 42VT30 is made in Thailand and based on the model #, mukhang from Singapore nga ito based from the model #.

« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2012 at 09:10 PM by seventhheaven »

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Oct 03, 2012 at 10:43 PM »
just played POTC 3 ripped @ 720p on my VT30. No green or pink stuff seen
when I searched and played that infamous crab scene.

Question lang, should I use a specific mode when watching the scene para makita yung green or pink smudges? I even set the brightness to max pero wala pa rin akong nakita eh. Safe na ba unit ko?

My 42VT30 is made in Thailand and based on the model #, mukhang from Singapore nga ito based from the model #.

nov.2011 manufacture date?
btw mine is also made in thai and is a singapore model.  :D
will have to download pirates and check it out.
ninjababez online ..