Author Topic: Speaker Comparisons  (Read 205445 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I know that this has nothing to do with the thread topic, and I do apologize for going off topic. why don't you consider the bookself speakers that Polk Audio has to offer. You can check out the following:
- TSI100
- TSi200
- RTi A1
- Rti A3
You can view the details at www.polkaudio.com. Polk Audio is available at most reputable AV stores.

Offline vaportrail

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
Sir Valiente, it would help if you can tell us what amplifier are you using and how many watts it is capable of! Also, the size of your room and type of music (specifics please).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009 at 12:45 PM by vaportrail »

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
monitor audio! ........ a friend is swearing by the good quality of his BR2 speakers .......

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
so that's already 6-0 for the BR2 but have you ever considered (OT) the klipsch RB10 :) which is also a looker almost at the same price range as the BR2.

ang gaganda nila noh ;D
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline Lucky7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
just to give you an idea between the MAB2(not the BR2) and the Diamond 9.1,pls check
the link below

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/474

Online Valiente

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • "Separating what I need from what I want."
  • Liked:
Let's enjoy these pics first!

"Simple life is the best!"
"Health is the first wealth!"
"Thank you Pinoydvd!"

Offline blued888

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
Congrats on your purchase! 5.25-inch drivers ang BR2 diba?

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Let's enjoy these pics first!

fantastic choice Valiente! yung aurum cantus stands naman ;D

congrats!

Offline Arulco

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 694
Great choice!

I also have a pair of BR2 speakers and are using them near-field. The thing I love about them is that I can listen to them for hours and not get a headache and still be able to sound detailed and punchy.

My only complaint about is that it is over-emphasized at around 120Hz as well as certain mid-frequencies in my room.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009 at 12:13 PM by kromestar »

Offline allan1836

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Guys, OT lang, looking for a great entry level priced but mid level performance speakers, read diy masters thread on the proac clone. Better,audition one and you'll be in for a lot of surprise !  ;D I never suggest speakers before but I want to share this great find to help others find a true value speakers. Thanks.  :)

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
just wanted to bump this thread for those still interested in the topic.

i recently was able to audition side by side the mission's MV-8 and the wharfedale 9.5 it was an AB comparison in a non-acoustically treated room. it was a short distanced audition but the pair of speakers are like 6 feet apart.

here are my amaturish thoughts :)

both speakers are below 15k and are both good enough for its price to performance ratio. i was able to audition it paired with a NAD amp, specific model i can't recall but, i remebered the sales rep. saying it's 80wpc.

i picked-out the MV-8 first, it is slimmer in size compared to the wharfedale diamond 9.5 which look the heftier floorstaner.

the intro on the audiophile cd were chimes and high hat cymbals which sounded pretty impressive. the vocals and mids were sharp but sounded a bit thin. first thing that came to mid was maybe because it was the frail built and the small driver it used but said to myself to conclude later and listen first ;D i moved on to the next track where there were more bass injected in the music but i lacked the ummp...i though of it's built again ::) but that's just me being subjective ;D on a positive note, overall i'd say the speakers are musical and would sound well in a small room at low level listening.

i now moved on to the wharfedale diamond 9.5 it's at 88db sensitivity vs the 91db of the MV-8 but i guess 80wpc would'nt have a problem driving these speakers. by simply looking at it, with a widder bodied cabinet and a 6.5 woofer it would eat the MV-8 alive  ;D . playing the same track the intro on the chimes and cymbals were not as impressive as the MV-8. it's not as bright and forwarding. the mids on the vocals are however smoother and airy. playing the next track as expected the drums and bass are tighter than the MV-8 and the ummmp that i was lacking with the MV-8 was there. comparing the 2 i think this would fair better in both music and movies.

the way i heard it, there was a night and day difference between the 2. there was a good reflection with the 9.5 that i cannot hear with the MV-8.

though both are good brands and both reasonably priced they have different characteristics and strengths.

visually i liked the MV-8 but auditory it's the 9.5  ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2009 at 10:57 PM by JohnE. »

Offline felicx

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
^ I second the motion  :D

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:
thanks, bro. john. we have been really wanting to hear an opinion between these two brands' (almost) same offerings. thanks. yours is the kind of review/opinion that we've been waiting for.

i have to agree with your assessment of the 9.5. right now i have it partnered with a h/k5550 avr. musically, wala naman ako masasabi... just don't compare to the more detailed speakers, especially since these are both warm sounding components. i think it will improve though once i have managed to replace the x'over capacitors. sa movies naman, there is the depth to the mix especially partnered with a good sub. it is in imaging though that is parang kulang, especially since there really is no enhanced DD or DTS processing yung H/K ko.

and that's why i'm considering the mission mv8 in the hope i can get a bit more vertical lift to the sound in movies. thanks again.

i like my cherry-colored d9.5, but i am also attracted to the mv8 rosewood.   8)
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2009 at 06:44 PM by gearhead000 »
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
 ;D thanks guys.

i am a fan of both brands ;D they have great looking speakers, it's well built, reasonably priced and good sounding ;D

taking it to another level, my other personal opinion and advise for those choosing between the 2 brands is to also compare the wharfedale 9 series vs. the mission M3 series.

the mission M3 series are now being heavily discounted giving the 9 series a run for its money!

it may be OT on this thread but i think it would be a better match (wharfedale diamond 9.5/9.6 vs. mission M34i)  ;D

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2009 at 06:23 AM by JohnE. »

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
just wanted to bump this thread for those still interested in the topic.

i recently was able to audition side by side the mission's MV-8 and the wharfedale 9.5 it was an AB comparison in a non-acoustically treated room. it was a short distanced audition but the pair of speakers are like 6 feet apart.

here are my amaturish thoughts :)

both speakers are below 15k and are both good enough for its price to performance ratio. i was able to audition it paired with a NAD amp, specific model i can't recall but, i remebered the sales rep. saying it's 80wpc.

i picked-out the MV-8 first, it is slimmer in size compared to the wharfedale diamond 9.5 which look the heftier floorstaner.

the intro on the audiophile cd were chimes and high hat cymbals which sounded pretty impressive. the vocals and mids were sharp but sounded a bit thin. first thing that came to mid was maybe because it was the frail built and the small driver it used but said to myself to conclude later and listen first ;D i moved on to the next track where there were more bass injected in the music but i lacked the ummp...i though of it's built again ::) but that's just me being subjective ;D on a positive note, overall i'd say the speakers are musical and would sound well in a small room at low level listening.

i now moved on to the wharfedale diamond 9.5 it's at 88db sensitivity vs the 91db of the MV-8 but i guess 80wpc would'nt have a problem driving these speakers. by simply looking at it, with a widder bodied cabinet and a 6.5 woofer it would eat the MV-8 alive  ;D . playing the same track the intro on the chimes and cymbals were not as impressive as the MV-8. it's not as bright and forwarding. the mids on the vocals are however smoother and airy. playing the next track as expected the drums and bass are tighter than the MV-8 and the ummmp that i was lacking with the MV-8 was there. comparing the 2 i think this would fair better in both music and movies.

the way i heard it, there was a night and day difference between the 2. there was a good reflection with the 9.5 that i cannot hear with the MV-8.

though both are good brands and both reasonably priced they have different characteristics and strengths.

Great review brader john ;D

If you get another chance of auditioning both speakers again in the future, do so.......however, try it with another amp. Nad amplifiers have so much coloration in them that it influences the speakers thats connected to them.
Hopefully, you can get a chance to audition them with a more neutral amp.

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
thanks brader mac!

dun nga rin papunta ang pala isipan ko eh.

"how to audition for an amp"? im also contemplating on mid.level receivers for HT kaso halos lahat naman sila same features lang. di ko pa nga lang naririnig pag ni mix and match sila kung anu ang inconsistency ng matching, warm, bright etc... ;D

pero next time nalang yun ;D ayusin ko muna audio set-up :D

parang maganda yung monos na dared vp-20 noh ::)
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2009 at 06:38 AM by JohnE. »

Offline gearhead000

• Collector
  • HD Nirvana
  • Liked:

i already heard the mv8 when i bought my marantz semi-vintage receiver. it did sound more shrill comparing to the 9.5 but the mids and lows were there. we even checked if there's any equalizer coz of the pronounced highs and low presence and there's none. the marantz amp doesn't even have any tone control. it did impress on first audition though i did feel also that it can get tiring on long listens. i still can't say with certainty which one i prefer since i haven't heard my 9.5 yet through the marantz. all i can say is that they both sound musical, but it is for ht that i am taking a look at the mv's.
Pana PT-AE900u/HK AVR645/Oppo DV981HD/WD TV HD/Wharfe 9.5/9.CS

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
i already heard the mv8 when i bought my marantz semi-vintage receiver. it did sound more shrill comparing to the 9.5 but the mids and lows were there. we even checked if there's any equalizer coz of the pronounced highs and low presence and there's none. the marantz amp doesn't even have any tone control. it did impress on first audition though i did feel also that it can get tiring on long listens. i still can't say with certainty which one i prefer since i haven't heard my 9.5 yet through the marantz. all i can say is that they both sound musical, but it is for ht that i am taking a look at the mv's.

i think it's a good speaker (specially pag na discount na on srp) meron nga talagang sigurong amp na babagay dyan kaso most buyer naman on a budget would also go for a budget amp or same price range ratio.

i agree with "it can get tiring on long listens." i can just imagine pairing it with a warm sounding characteristic tube amp.

i wonder if a sub can balance it out for HT? ::)

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 608
Re: FOCAL VS. PARADIGM
« Reply #678 on: Jun 11, 2009 at 03:04 AM »
Based on what I've heard, sa Focal ako. Very neutral at natural ang presentation for me.

Too bassy para saken ang mga narinig kong Paradigm speaks, though they are still wonderful to listen to. I'm sure marami din mas gusto ang ganito for movies.

Go with what you like bro. :)

Offline punkrocker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #679 on: Jun 19, 2009 at 07:48 PM »
I have to agree with Stagea. Focal for me. Very Detailed and transparent.

But since you will use it more for your HT setup, the Paradigm may have some advantages as well. It can get real low and loud.

Offline CeeV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #680 on: Jun 19, 2009 at 08:32 PM »
I think magkalayo naman ng presyo yan dalawa na yan...so parang nd Orange for an orange comparison [email protected]. dyan sa line up mo sa Paradigm nd match yan center mo...for a Monitor11 at least get the CC390.

Offline efren_

• Collector
  • Liked:
LOWTHER or FOSTEX?
« Reply #681 on: Aug 26, 2009 at 06:48 PM »
Hello,

anybody here familiar with these speakers (drivers), what is the best choice between the two? the sonic performance? i am planning to replace my ONKYO D-032AX bs drivers, as these two are excellent and efficient drivers for tubes and class A ss amps. any price info? Please enlighten.... ???

Cheers 2 all :)
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2009 at 06:49 PM by efren noble »
"just keep 'em glowing"

Offline wraith

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
Re: LOWTHER or FOSTEX?
« Reply #682 on: Aug 28, 2009 at 07:00 PM »
I would not recommend either of them as direct replacement drivers for speakers (enclosure and crossovers) that were not designed around them.  Otherwise, they will surely sound anemic in the bass region, and peaky in the midrange and treble regions.

If you're looking for drivers as direct replacements, you will be better of with with drivers that have parameters close to your original drivers.  Try JBL, or even pro-audio drivers if efficiency is high on your priorities.

If you insist on using Fostex or Lowther, you will be better off building custom enclosures for them.  They will benefit from large ported enclosures, horn-loaded enclosures, or transmission line enclosures so as to augment their bass.

By the way, Lowther is very expensive.  I don't know of a local distributor, but I remember that they cost at least $500 a pair when I inquired at a shop in Taipei 3 years ago.
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2009 at 07:03 PM by wraith »

Offline oweidah

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #683 on: Aug 28, 2009 at 09:24 PM »
if im not mistaken, you can check both lowther and fostex drivers at silver strings at westave.

eto link sa kabila > http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=32

Offline efren_

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #684 on: Sep 01, 2009 at 05:11 PM »
wraith & ojofool,

thanx for the info guys, also got info that a pair costs 10k +, I think i"ll stick around with my onkyo for a while ;D, anyway they sound great with the jamo subs.

"just keep 'em glowing"

Offline avshop

• Trade Count: (+151)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Speaker Comparisons
« Reply #685 on: Sep 23, 2009 at 07:57 PM »
come to the shop and compare the b&w 683 with the jbl studio L890. :)

shop is located at unit 205 amaremca bldg, 107a kalayaan avenue, diliman, quezon city. :)

we're open wednesday to sunday, 11am to 8pm :)

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: wharfedale 9 series vs 10?
« Reply #686 on: Sep 25, 2009 at 04:46 AM »
has anyone made side by side, A/B comparison?

Offline obelix

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
Mission or Polk?
« Reply #687 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 04:10 AM »
I'm currently in the process of upgrading my HT system and I'd like to ask some questions regarding the speakers mentioned.

Which would you choose Mission MV6 or Polk Tsi 300? I know na masmura yung MV6 but not by alot.

Offline John E.

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Mission or Polk?
« Reply #688 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 04:23 AM »
imho if the comparission is just between the 2. it's tsi 300 hands down.

try to read some of the comparison and reviews on some of the older threads between tsi 300 vs the mv8.

also try to audition both or better yet all other brands in your budgeted price range.

goodluck!

Offline danrd

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Guru
  • Do it now while you still can!
  • Liked:
Re: Mission or Polk?
« Reply #689 on: Nov 10, 2009 at 04:25 AM »
Most of Mission's latest models (specially Mv6) is quite disappointing. It didn't live up to the aesthetics and SQ of its previous "England" models. I have seen and heard how this tsi's perform and I am really impressed. I am a "Mission loyalist" but this time comparing between the two - I'd say "Go for Polk".