Author Topic: Speaker Comparisons  (Read 204761 times)

Offline timber715

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • join us at www.cab1net.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: Speaker Comparisons
« Reply #720 on: Feb 01, 2010 at 11:28 AM »
After listening to all these speakers, what have you learned so far, if I may ask?  
that different speakers have a character of their own and that at the end of the day it all boils down to preference. There are laid back sounds, some produce very vivid sound others are just safe and fine, some produced too much tweeter sound and there was one that sounded terrible( as in transistor radio sounding  ???).
I brought a CD for sampling particularly a track of Stanley Clarke's "Together Again" for the low side, a track of Earl Klugh"s "Like a Lover" for the details, a track of Kevyn Lettau's "Sunlight" for the female voice and Earth Wind & Fire's "Miracles" for the male voice. And being a newbie, I was surprised that there were some parts of the songs that was there that I never heard before and some got lost too is several occasions. I was a case of "WOW" :o or "that is just so normal"  :). Auditioning speakers was somewhat eye opening experience for me, I knew that there were differences in sound but just not that diverse. I know it is just been at the tip of the iceberg and that there will be lots more to learn, but hey, it is such a nice ride so far.
Among them, I really like the Focals particularly the Chorus 806V like I mentioned earlier, the sound stands out in my ears. I love the tightness of the lows and the crispness of the mids without going overboard, the details is just so complete. there is another I like a lot but when I was not treated well in that particular store, I lost some interest(ganyan pag tumatanda yata talaga eh, nagiging tampuhin ;D) but is still in my list though.

Hmmh, that depends largely on the partnering equipment. Some gear sound better when matched with other items of certain characteristics.
Certainly, I agree with this. when the day comes and I decide on a purchase, I intend to bring the receiver or pre-amp that I will use.
Choosing a speaker for my needs is a long process though I want to have one home soon, I want to make sure that I would end with something that I would have for a very long time. These things are expensive and even more expensive if I end up selling them for an upgrade. I am a powertool nut and a woodworker(by hobby) and we have a saying when buying stuff, "cry once and be happy for a long time" pertaining to getting the best one can afford...

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2010 at 11:35 AM by timber715 »

Offline theblue

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Your Opinion Pls. [Wharfedale 10 series Vs. Older Yamaha NS-777]
« Reply #721 on: Feb 23, 2010 at 08:43 PM »
Hi masters,

I would like to ask your opinion regarding these speakers...
I recently purchased a Wharfe 10.1 and I'm really satisfied with it.
Good bass, evenly dispersed highs (thanks to the metal grill), decent mids...
I'm planning to go all the way on wharfe 10 series but I now have a very good deal of a Yamaha NS-777.

I had a chance to do a side-by-side audition of Wharfe 9.6 and Yamaha NS-555 like 3 years ago.
My findings is that the NS-555 does a very good job of producing the sounds of guitar and piano compared to the 9.6.

I had not compared the wharfies 10 series agains yamaha.
Now, my question is that, do you think the Wharfies 10 series is better overall against yamaha speakers?

Your opinions are highly appreciated.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2010 at 04:31 AM by theblue »
Denon 1912 + Yamaha NS-777, Dynaudio Audience 40, HTPC i7 7700k, 24GB, Nvidia GTX 1080 ti, LG 4K

Offline John E.

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • God is good all the time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
Re: Your Opinion Pls. [Wharfedale 10 series Vs. Older Yamaha NS-777]
« Reply #722 on: Feb 26, 2010 at 02:27 AM »
Hi masters,

I would like to ask your opinion regarding these speakers...
I recently purchased a Wharfe 10.1 and I'm really satisfied with it.
Good bass, evenly dispersed highs (thanks to the metal grill), decent mids...
I'm planning to go all the way on wharfe 10 series but I now have a very good deal of a Yamaha NS-777.

I had a chance to do a side-by-side audition of Wharfe 9.6 and Yamaha NS-555 like 3 years ago.
My findings is that the NS-555 does a very good job of producing the sounds of guitar and piano compared to the 9.6.

I had not compared the wharfies 10 series agains yamaha.
Now, my question is that, do you think the Wharfies 10 series is better overall against yamaha speakers?

Your opinions are highly appreciated.

i had both brands of speakers before and both are good sounding speakers ;)

i think it would be best to get speakers of the same brand/model series for timbre matching and if you're really keen on getting the yamaha due to the good deal, try to audition it first or do an A/B test which is even better.

it will always be your ears and wallet who will decide but always take into consideration if you'll be happy and satisfied in keeping speakers for a long time. :)

goodluck!
You'll Always Go Back To This Hobby!

Offline ment

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #723 on: May 05, 2010 at 06:07 AM »
nalilito na ako .... help!!!!

i want b&w 685 pero i wanna check its direct competitor's equivalent like sa paradigm, polk, psb, MA, Mission etc .....

can anyone help list down? :) kung may price idea mas better :)

going 2.1 channel setup with my yamaha RXV430 and polk DSW400 sub

Offline Stagea

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 606
« Reply #724 on: May 05, 2010 at 06:54 AM »
i want b&w 685 pero i wanna check its direct competitor's equivalent like sa paradigm, polk, psb, MA, Mission etc .....
can anyone help list down? :) kung may price idea mas better :)
I can think of the following alternatives:
1. MA Silver RX1
2. MS Mezzo 1 / Mezzo 2
3. PSB Image B6 / Image B25
4. Paradigm Mini Monitor / Titan Monitor
5. Polk RTi A3
6. KEF iQ30
7. AE AE22
8. Focal Chorus 706V
A step up would be the following:
1. PSB Imagine B
2. Polk LSi7
3. MA Silver RX2

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #725 on: May 05, 2010 at 12:36 PM »
Thanks .......

i think i'll try again Polk RTI A3 refamiliarize myself with it....

then check ko MA RX1, Paradigm Mini and Atom Monitor .......

Per my last test sa Sights and Sound the closest to B&W I tried was Paradigm Atom monitor but i find the tweeter to be wee bit on the harsh side. But its so warm and lively.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #726 on: May 05, 2010 at 01:26 PM »
on the harsh side. But its so warm and lively.

it seems this is the first time harsh, warm and lively is used together to describe a speaker.  ???
have to familiarize myself more with these audio terms.  :)
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #727 on: May 06, 2010 at 06:52 AM »
If by any chance you can stretch your budget to accomodate one of these, go ahead and give them a listen:
1. MA Silver RX2
2. Polk LSi7
3. PSB Imagine B

I think they're truly worth the extra. They sound great when hooked up to a matching amp and front-end.

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #728 on: May 06, 2010 at 09:39 AM »
I'm looking to get a nice set of speakers for my 5.1 setup.

Right now I'm using Klipsch promedia 5.1 speakers (not the sub) and a Polk PSW powered by Denon1610.

Basically I want 2 fronts, a center, and 2 rear speakers.

I'm VERY impressed with Klipsch so dream ko talaga is to get a complete set. Kaso sobrang mahal sa atin ng Klipsch.

Next would be Paradigms. Meron na akong Paradigm Atoms that I can use for fronts. Magkano kaya center and rears? and saan meron?

Next would be Infinity Primus

Next would be Polk Audio na siguro. I know there is the Tsi series that's available here sa atin. Price is ok.. but I am also able to get the Monitor series from the states. Imagine Monitor 40's for $130 a pair? I can get 2 pairs and then a center channel shipped via balikbayan box to Manila for just about 20k!! Not bad diba? If I get the Tsi series locally for sure mas mahal pa.

What do you guys think?

thanks for any input.

Offline ment

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #729 on: May 06, 2010 at 12:08 PM »
Bad trip so many choice and I hardly had the time to audition .....

I want tweeter to be as neutral as possible ..... like b&W 685 ......

Polk RTI-A3 would be nice Pero my heart truly belongs to B&W 685 :)

Follow your heart kahit bitin ang budget ;D

Offline Levijones

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #730 on: May 08, 2010 at 01:01 AM »
Follow your heart kahit bitin ang budget ;D
I agree with this.  :) Wait till you have enough funds, then buy what you really want. In my experience, buying the next best thing only leads to more expenses, because I eventually end up buying what I really wanted anyway.
LG 42LS5700
Denon 1610
A-Audio 5.1 speakers
PS3 Slim 320GB
Xbox 360 20GB+4GB

Offline Stagea

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hype Fidelity
  • Liked:
« Reply #731 on: May 08, 2010 at 04:20 AM »
I agree with this.  :) Wait till you have enough funds, then buy what you really want. In my experience, buying the next best thing only leads to more expenses, because I eventually end up buying what I really wanted anyway.

Oh my, if this is true... sana dumating na ang more expenses na yan.  ;D I can't afford what I really want.  :D :D :D

Offline gunslinger

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #732 on: May 08, 2010 at 06:04 AM »
Pero minsan, even if you only got the 2nd best, you'll come to love it well enough pag parati mo siya naririnig. ;D

Next thing you know, you'd prefer listening to it than your original best. ;D

Pero this doesn't happen very often lalo na for those who are looking for the audio nirvana. ;D
I can stop speaking but I cannot so easily silence my thoughts...

Offline dips15

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #733 on: May 08, 2010 at 08:10 AM »

Right now I'm using Klipsch promedia 5.1 speakers (not the sub) and a Polk PSW powered by Denon1610.

I'm VERY impressed with Klipsch so dream ko talaga is to get a complete set. Kaso sobrang mahal sa atin ng Klipsch.

Next would be Paradigms. Meron na akong Paradigm Atoms that I can use for fronts. Magkano kaya center and rears? and saan meron?

Next would be Polk Audio na siguro. I know there is the Tsi series that's available here sa atin. Price is ok.. but I am also able to get the Monitor series from the states. Imagine Monitor 40's for $130 a pair? I can get 2 pairs and then a center channel shipped via balikbayan box to Manila for just about 20k!! Not bad diba? If I get the Tsi series locally for sure mas mahal pa.

What do you guys think?

thanks for any input.

Is this arranged in priority? What series of Klipsch are you thinking about?  If its the synergy series, theres already a B3 being sold in the marketplace for 9k.  There are also a second hand set of synergies being sold at audioworld which should be quite affordable.  As far as I know, the surround s1 costs less than 10k as well.  Klilpsch has been said to sound very good especially for HT.

Paradigms, if it is your second choice, would be more expensive than Klipsch.  The center for theParadigm monitor series already costs around 15k.

The Primus line is also cheaper than Paradigm and sounds very good.  Much better than the TSi's if you ask me, even for HT.

As for the Polks, the Monitor series is actually lower than the TSi's.  Some say that they are the predecessor of the TSi.  With that being said, TSi 100 plus CS10 would cost you just around 15-17k more or less, still cheaper than the monitor set you were mentioning.

With all these being said, get the set you would be trully happy with.  There's a saying I've heard quite a couple of times when researching for a/v stuff.  The poor man pays twice.  If you can afford it, kahit medyo masmasakit sa bulsa, just take the plunge for something you like.  On the flipside, it is also fun to upgrade.  Kahit papaano kasi, there will always be new stuff and as long as you are still interested in the hobby, you will always seek something better.

Offline RastaSega

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #734 on: May 08, 2010 at 02:59 PM »
thanks so much for your input. yes it's arranged by priority. Priority because Klipsch is cheaper :)

Yes I would love to get paradigms but they may be too expensive for me. I like your quote! Something to live by indeed.

I saw the B3's sa market kaso its 9k. It's only $140 sa US right now. Vanns yata yung site. Mas mura pa ipabalikbayan box kesa dito kumuha ng segunda mano. What's stopping me is the matching klipsch center is twice the price of the bookshelves.

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #735 on: May 08, 2010 at 06:42 PM »
Call audioworld. I think I saw a second hand synergy center.

Offline Densio123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #736 on: May 08, 2010 at 10:29 PM »
hello guys,
i have these marantz component from my father and it is really an antique. i guess it is from 1970's.
[/img]
any suggestion kung ano magandang speaker? i am thinking of yamaha ns8390 or klipsch? which is better pagdating sa movies and music?

Offline dips15

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #737 on: May 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM »
Was wondering if anybody has auditioned both the Mordaunt Short Aviano and the Monitor Audio RX series.  Based on price, it would have to be the standmounters RX1 or maybe even RX2 against the floorstanding Aviano 6.  The Aviano seems to have very good reviews and seems like a good value.

Any thoughts?

Offline kt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #738 on: Jul 17, 2010 at 04:42 PM »
hi bros!

could anyone post some comparisons or general characteristics of these speakers:
-B&W CM1
-B&W 685
-MA GS10
-MA RX2

tnx!  ;D

Offline RastaSega

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #739 on: Jul 17, 2010 at 06:25 PM »
Is this arranged in priority? What series of Klipsch are you thinking about?  If its the synergy series, theres already a B3 being sold in the marketplace for 9k.  There are also a second hand set of synergies being sold at audioworld which should be quite affordable.  As far as I know, the surround s1 costs less than 10k as well.  Klilpsch has been said to sound very good especially for HT.

Paradigms, if it is your second choice, would be more expensive than Klipsch.  The center for theParadigm monitor series already costs around 15k.

The Primus line is also cheaper than Paradigm and sounds very good.  Much better than the TSi's if you ask me, even for HT.

As for the Polks, the Monitor series is actually lower than the TSi's.  Some say that they are the predecessor of the TSi.  With that being said, TSi 100 plus CS10 would cost you just around 15-17k more or less, still cheaper than the monitor set you were mentioning.

With all these being said, get the set you would be trully happy with.  There's a saying I've heard quite a couple of times when researching for a/v stuff.  The poor man pays twice.  If you can afford it, kahit medyo masmasakit sa bulsa, just take the plunge for something you like.  On the flipside, it is also fun to upgrade.  Kahit papaano kasi, there will always be new stuff and as long as you are still interested in the hobby, you will always seek something better.

sir FYI lang.

based on your suggestion and your words of wisdom (The poor man pays twice) I ended up getting the Paradigm Titans, Paradigm CC190, and Paradigm Atoms.

hehehehe.

i couldn't be happier.

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #740 on: Jul 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM »

What do you guys think?

thanks for any input.
[/quote

The Polk Audio monitor series have been phased out and replaced by the TSi series. Some stores in america might have old stock, so they droped the price of monitor series to get rid of the stock. If you want a great 5.1 system and are on a budget, I would suggest the following set up from Polk Audio:
- TSi300 - 1 pair floorstanding
- CS10 - 1 piece center channel
- TSi100 - 1 pair bookshelf
- PSW110 - 10 inch sub

This is an excellent entry level set up that will not cost so much.

Offline b u l l e t

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #741 on: Jul 23, 2010 at 10:22 AM »
I got a chance to audition B&W 683 and Polk Audio Rtia7 with AVshop last Saturday. Supposedly, I’m aiming for the RTia9 to compare with the 683 but it’s not readily available. B&W 683 had a very detailed clean and smooth sound. It offers magnificent sound and outstanding performance. I can listen at relatively high volume and my ears still wants more. It seems it never get tired of what they are hearing. Same observation when we played movie. The sound coming from this 683 is not fatiguing. It sounds more relaxing and not irritating. It can give you more when you pair it with powerful amplifier/ receiver. For me, if you have good amp to drive this impressive speaker, 683 can be all you’ll ever need in a lifetime.  ;) ;) ;)

Polk audio Rti A7 is absolutely great speaker. Very good imaging, crystal clear highs and midrange. It is more easy to drive even with minimal power receiver. Likewise, it has aggressive bass response even in a low volume compared with B&W 683. Bass response in one my one little disappointment with 683 but it can be reinforced by a subwoofer( just for me). I find Polk audio RTi A7 an excellent choice of speaker for a home theater setup. It seems that it captured every single sound detail in movies. Wow how much more with the RtiA9! :o :o :o What I liked with polk audio RTI is the cabinet design. It has a very nice curved shape and very firm wood cabinet.It will look gorgeous to any living room or HT room.  ;)

You can never go wrong with B&W and Polk Audio speakers. If budget permits, I want to have both.  ;D ;D(anyway free naman ang mangarap)

By the way, thanks to James of AVshop. He’s very accommodating, energetic to plug different speakers to suit your taste and to satisfy your ears.   :) :)

Thanks Mark (avshop) and hope to close our deal with B&W speakers next week.  ;)

Offline xyobub

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #742 on: Jul 23, 2010 at 06:57 PM »
I got a chance to audition B&W 683 and Polk Audio Rtia7 with AVshop last Saturday. Supposedly, I’m aiming for the RTia9 to compare with the 683 but it’s not readily available. B&W 683 had a very detailed clean and smooth sound. It offers magnificent sound and outstanding performance. I can listen at relatively high volume and my ears still wants more. It seems it never get tired of what they are hearing. Same observation when we played movie. The sound coming from this 683 is not fatiguing. It sounds more relaxing and not irritating. It can give you more when you pair it with powerful amplifier/ receiver. For me, if you have good amp to drive this impressive speaker, 683 can be all you’ll ever need in a lifetime.  ;) ;) ;)

Polk audio Rti A7 is absolutely great speaker. Very good imaging, crystal clear highs and midrange. It is more easy to drive even with minimal power receiver. Likewise, it has aggressive bass response even in a low volume compared with B&W 683. Bass response in one my one little disappointment with 683 but it can be reinforced by a subwoofer( just for me). I find Polk audio RTi A7 an excellent choice of speaker for a home theater setup. It seems that it captured every single sound detail in movies. Wow how much more with the RtiA9! :o :o :o What I liked with polk audio RTI is the cabinet design. It has a very nice curved shape and very firm wood cabinet.It will look gorgeous to any living room or HT room.  ;)

You can never go wrong with B&W and Polk Audio speakers. If budget permits, I want to have both.  ;D ;D(anyway free naman ang mangarap)

By the way, thanks to James of AVshop. He’s very accommodating, energetic to plug different speakers to suit your taste and to satisfy your ears.   :) :)

Thanks Mark (avshop) and hope to close our deal with B&W speakers next week.  ;)

ayos brader bullet_red kayang kaya idrive ng AVR mo yan. inaabangan n kita sa gallery brader ;D

congrats in advance sa new gear ;)

Offline zekiber2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • "FAITH can move Mountains"
  • Liked:
« Reply #743 on: Jul 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM »
@bullet

binasa ko bro ang review bakit parang walang pagpipilian cant go wrong with both

detailed and smooth ang 683 then crystal clear ang highs and midrange ng rtia7 ...pano yan? lols  ::)

you said ok ang rtia7 sa ht what about 683 with svs sub alin ang mas ok?

Offline b u l l e t

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #744 on: Jul 24, 2010 at 02:42 PM »
ayos brader bullet_red kayang kaya idrive ng AVR mo yan. inaabangan n kita sa gallery brader ;D

congrats in advance sa new gear ;)

malapit na sir  :D

Offline b u l l e t

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #745 on: Jul 24, 2010 at 03:06 PM »
@bullet

binasa ko bro ang review bakit parang walang pagpipilian cant go wrong with both

detailed and smooth ang 683 then crystal clear ang highs and midrange ng rtia7 ...pano yan? lols  ::)

just for me...

B&W 683 for music
Polk Audio Rtia7 for movie

but still your ears will decide  ;)

Offline amdxp

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #746 on: Jul 24, 2010 at 03:35 PM »
@bullet

id go for rti a7 bro.. and with the svs sub.. bangis!!!

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • Polk Audio
  • Liked:
« Reply #747 on: Jul 24, 2010 at 04:30 PM »

id go for rti a7 bro.. and with the svs sub.. bangis!!!

A good match of the Polk Audio RTi A7 is the Polk Audio DSW Pro 600 or even better the DSW Micro pro 4000.

Offline xyobub

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #748 on: Jul 26, 2010 at 08:00 PM »

Sirs i think this is the right thread to ask this question, if not kindly move. :)
i just want to ask your reviews regarding the Hercules XPS 2.1 (price approx. Php 6.5k) ok po ba ito?ano po katapat neto sa Logitech speakers?

TIA

Offline EDIGeek

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #749 on: Aug 02, 2010 at 03:44 PM »
guys help naman. I just bought a 2nd hand Aegis Evo 1 speakers for 8K. i never thought about it actually. Myfriend just told me to buy it kasi mura daw. And he knows am planning an audio setup soon. Siguro spur of the moment I bought it. Okay naman when it was auditioned to me paired with an HK. Now i am looking for an amplifier to pair with it. Any suggestions? May nagsabi okay daw yung DARED I-30. am really new to this any suggestions and/or comments would be highly appreciated.

ROTEL RA-11
Pro Ject TT
Pro Ject Speaker Box5
Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary ed.
ROTEL RDV 1093