Author Topic: NBA 2013-2014 <FINALS>  (Read 520310 times)

Offline the_w0rks

• Trade Count: (+146)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I love the smell of pizza all day,everyday
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: NBA 2013-2014 <OFFSEASON>
« Reply #540 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 12:12 PM »
Dwight told @Mike_Bresnahan:"Kobe did not factor into my decision whatsoever."

-

Haha si Kobe inunfollow si D12 sa twitter. Say what??? Real mature

Offline DVD_Freak

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #541 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 12:21 PM »
Just last year, everyone was saying orlando got screwed by the trade. All praises were on LA, Denver and Philly even on our previous thread. Looking at it now, its a really smart move by Hennigan, netting a double-double machine in Vucevic, a young budding SF in Harkless, a serviceable SG in Afflalo, a ton of draft picks and a massive cap space. hoping they tank again this season, for that Wiggins sweepstakes next year.  ;D

By default though.  While Lopez is an all star.

Offline Waxx

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • PDVD RULES!!! (basahin nyo, i mean!)
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 791
« Reply #542 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 12:26 PM »
ngek. Only the Lakers can give Dwight a max for 5 years. No other team. That's how it works.

anyway, glad that the drama is finally over. 1-year rental lang si Dwight, palpak pa. hahaha

ahhhh ok.. ganun pala yun.. was not familiar with nba cba agreement..

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #543 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 12:27 PM »
ngek. Only the Lakers can give Dwight a max for 5 years. No other team. That's how it works.

anyway, glad that the drama is finally over. 1-year rental lang si Dwight, palpak pa. hahaha

Madaling ikutan yan.  Just insert an opt out clause...siguro after year 2.  Then sign a 3 year extension and add whatever yun kinulang dun sa original Laker offer.

Houston can only offer a 4 year contract.  Eh di after 4 years tamang tama retired na si Kobe, pwede bumalik ulit sa Lakers.   :D

Offline retro12195

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #544 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 12:36 PM »
Maganda yung Asik for Ryan A. trade kung nagkataon.  :)

Dwight to the Rockets!

Iggy to the Warriors!  O0

Millsap to Hawks!

Mayo to the Bucks!

Jose to Dallas  ;D

Lakers:

buti na lang d MALABANAN yong name sa TANGKE ;D
Luxman L430 Denon DL 110 Yamaha YP 700c Paradigm M7V3
B&W OPPO ONKYO 636 Mission

Offline zgim

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Re: NBA 2013-2014 <OFFSEASON>
« Reply #545 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 02:03 PM »
Just last year, everyone was saying orlando got screwed by the trade. All praises were on LA, Denver and Philly even on our previous thread. Looking at it now, its a really smart move by Hennigan, netting a double-double machine in Vucevic, a young budding SF in Harkless, a serviceable SG in Afflalo, a ton of draft picks and a massive cap space. hoping they tank again this season, for that Wiggins sweepstakes next year.  ;D

Smart moves by hennigan. They also got Tobias Harris on another deal.

Offline rusty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #546 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 02:04 PM »
I think it's a bit cruel to the fans how some members of the media(mostly ESPN) made it seem like the Lakers had a bigger chance than they did in retaining Dwight even at the very last minute (ex. Chis Palmer's "Lakers are frontrunners" nonsense, Broussard's '50/50', Shelburne/Stein's pushing for GSW angle, etc.).

I wonder how they're gonna spin next season to generate more website hits when two of the most popular teams (Celtics/Lakers) are seemingly in tank mode. Probably countless articles about the return of Kobe? A series about the race for Wiggins?  Lots of media-generated drama for the marquee teams for sure.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2013 at 02:07 PM by rusty »

Offline aRujoN

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 202
« Reply #547 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 03:02 PM »
so what did the lakers get in return from letting howard go to houston?? picks??

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #548 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 03:07 PM »
Madaling ikutan yan.  Just insert an opt out clause...siguro after year 2.  Then sign a 3 year extension and add whatever yun kinulang dun sa original Laker offer.

Houston can only offer a 4 year contract.  Eh di after 4 years tamang tama retired na si Kobe, pwede bumalik ulit sa Lakers.   :D

I was merely pointing out that he can only get 5years from the Lakers. I definitely didn't think it was an advantage considering the income tax in Cali. :D

Money-wise, Houston was a good choice for him. Talent-wise, the Warriors wouldve been better, IMO. Hope Dwight does well in Houston. Getting him was a risk that did not pay off for the Lakers now but I hope they recover quickly.

As for Dwight returning when Kobe retires, not a lot of teams will want 31/32-year old, under-sized center by that time.

The only thing I want Houston to do right now- god damn force Bin Harden to shave his ugly beard already. Haha

Offline crazyhog

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #549 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 03:08 PM »
so what did the lakers get in return from letting howard go to houston?? picks??

NONE. hindi sign and trade nangyari.

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 946
« Reply #550 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 03:58 PM »
LA Fans deserve more than an immature kid who refuses to lead the team. Remember the last 6 games of the season? It was his time...his moment at last and yet they were swept. He even bailed out by having himself ejected on the last game.

How to win a series against a Howard led team? Easy...just watch how the Lakers dismantled Orlando with pre injury D12 at his peak back then. Just cover the shooters and send him to the line.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline rexFi

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Vroom
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #551 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 04:27 PM »
LA Fans deserve more than an immature kid who refuses to lead the team. Remember the last 6 games of the season? It was his time...his moment at last and yet they were swept. He even bailed out by having himself ejected on the last game.

How to win a series against a Howard led team? Easy...just watch how the Lakers dismantled Orlando with pre injury D12 at his peak back then. Just cover the shooters and send him to the line.

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #552 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 04:42 PM »
Harden tho, not merely a 'shooter'

Holy Cow, James Harden

Back to Harden : Houston is scoring 1.51 points per possession on trips in which he drives at any time in the shot clock. That is easily the highest mark among all players in the 15-team database with more than a token number of drives. It is a mammoth number; keep in mind, teams average just about one point per possession overall. Harden has drawn a foul on one-third of his drives, which is among the highest numbers in the data set, and sort of amazing when you think about it.

In other words: There is some merit to the idea of telling guys, “Put your head down, get to the paint, and make a play — any damn play,” especially if the team has skilled 3-point shooters and good passers driving the ball. The punishment will likely be a lot of turnovers, and Carlos Delfino, more empowered to drive in Houston than he might be elsewhere, indeed ranks among the most turnover-prone drivers so far.

And what of Harden? He has turned over the ball on just 4 percent of his drives, one of the lowest numbers in the data set. The dude is scary. These numbers paint him as even more valuable than we might think.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2013 at 04:59 PM by rusty »

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 946
« Reply #553 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 04:44 PM »
That was his moment....instead he managed to make himself a joke to Duncan. Seriously..if he doesn't regain his pre injury form in the future PLUS improve on his free throws then it doesn't matter what team he joins. They will be far too easy to beat.

He thinks he will be the Alpha dog in Houston? Think again...The Beard is THE dog. Coach Mchale isn't dumb to let D12 be the anchor of the offense. Give the ball to the Beard and let him drive will net you at worst two free throws or at best an And1. Give the ball to D12 and you get a hack from the defender and AT BEST 1 point.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2013 at 04:50 PM by synchro_01 »
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #554 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 05:01 PM »
By default though.  While Lopez is an all star.

Hey there, remember our discussion last year?

Regarding undesirable contracts, only Hedo would be hard to trade.  Lopez is a legit NBA starting center.  Lots of teams are willing to acquire him.  Humphries at that time is on the books for only a year at around 9M.  Next to cheap all-stars, expiring contracts are almost always in demand.  Orlando has time to evaluate the contributions of both players.  If they see they don't fit, management are not stuck with them.  They can certainly trade them by January.  What can you get for both?  Trade exceptions, more first round picks.  Both are not really hard to move.  NBA teams are required to spend a least amount of money.  Trade Lopez to the Bobcats, Warriors, Kings, etc....they will take him.  Specially teams that have cap space to do it.  In return you get a trade exception.  Humphries with just a one year contract is actually easier to move.  And he actually can play.  Certainly both in the open market will give you a better return than Afflalo and Harrington.

Afflalo's talents are not really hard to come by.  But a legit 7-footer that can score and rebound-some is harder to find.  There are several players that have basically the same skill-set.... Courtney Lee, Demar DeRozan, Manu Ginobili, James Harden, Andre Iguodala, Wesley Matthews, Jason Richardson.

If Harrington is retained, he still has 2 years and $15M left and at 32 is more on the side of overpaid than decent.  Humphries at 27 with a one year $9M deal I would believe is a lot easier to move.

Houston's final offer was $12 million in immediate cap space instead of Arron Afflalo and Al Harrington, several of their recent first round selections, along with future lottery and unprotected draft picks.

The Rockets were willing to take back any bad contracts in return while dealing for Howard.  So you can throw in Hedo, J-Rich, Duhon.  The Lin and Asik deals are dependent on their negotiations with Orlando.  If Houston got Howard, maybe only the Lin deal would have happened.

The Houston picks are arguably better.  Royce White alone would have solved both the 3 and 4 positions attesting to his versatility.  You also have a potential starter at SG with Jeremy Lamb.  Financial flexibility would have still been achieved with a Houston trade and Orlando can still sign all-star free agents.  Then there is the bonus of getting rid of all bad contracts.  That's big!  Then the multitude of picks Houston presented are definitely better being unprotected.

But here's why those Houston picks are very salivating.  If Howard doesn't resign with the Rockets, Houston becomes a lottery team for years to come.  Now all those picks are lottery bound!   ;D

Brook Lopez is already an nba caliber starting Center at 24.  He puts up about 17ppg and 7rpg for his career.  These kinds of centers don't grow on tress as they say.  And he has yet to approach his prime years so the potential to be a 20-10 center is there.  Kris Humphries is a double-double figure contributor averaging 14ppg and 11rpg.  At 27, also has yet to approach his prime.  Afflalo while being a starting 2, his talents are quite common in today's NBA.  They are a dime a dozen.  The likelihood of finding a player similar to Afflalo's talents are significantly better than finding a seven foot big that produces numbers to what Lopez produces.  Harrington at 32 who scores as much as Humphries during the 2012 season, isn't that much effective in rebounding at 6ppg.  Humphries is younger, more athletic, more active, rebounds better, quicker, you can always plug in Humphries at that 6th man role and since he is younger, can potentially produce better results.  You also already have Glen Davis who plays similarly and is 6 years younger.  Big Baby is more versatile since you can plug him at the 5 and can produce unlike Harrington who is strictly a power forward.  Marshon Brooks on potential likewise would seem to be more talented than JJ Reddick.  As for Harkless, it just adds to the logjam at the 3 and 4 spots where you already have Davis, Hedo, Harrington and Nicholson.  And none of those are centers.

Which brings us back to what Hennigan wants.  If he totally rebuilds from scratch, The returns for Brook Lopez would probably be a top 5-8 protected pick.  Humphries for a late 1st rounder... or both for a huge trade exception.  Afflalo would probably be 2 second round picks.  Vucevic late first rounder or 2nd round pick.  Harrington..... nothing but a filler for future trades.   ;D

If the Magic want to at least stay conpetitive, Lopez immidiately plugs a hole at center and Humphries at the 4.  You can have your 6th man in Big Baby.  If not, Lopez and Humphries would fetch more in the open market than Afflalo and Harrington will.

With Vucevic, you are banking on potential.  He may or may not pan out.  Lopez right now is a starter-quality center.  He is already established.  The problem with Vucevic though is he seems to be soft.  Gortat and Asik are bangers.  Vucevic is more finesse in the mold of a Pau Gasol.  And in the NBA, a finesse center having success in today's game is rare.  And if you are going for potential, Houston's 1st round picks have more upside.  Royce White has been compared to the great Charles Barkley in both versatilty and quickness for his size.  Why settle on an Andre Iguodala/Trevor Ariza clone in Harkless when you can have Sir Charles.    :D

Orlando already got it's legit starting center in Vucevic. I'd take him anytime vs Lopez. Plus the filler Humphries was very unproductive last season. Still a bad trade there if it happened.

And can't believe you vouched for Royce White ;)
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2013 at 05:02 PM by sientobente »

Offline rusty

• DVD Guru
  • Go Warriors!
  • Liked:
« Reply #555 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 05:17 PM »
So much love on Dwight's instagram. Stay classy.

Offline ramordep

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #556 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 05:24 PM »
andaming nagagalit na Laker fan kay Dwight ah

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #557 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 05:35 PM »
andaming nagagalit na Laker fan kay Dwight ah

Oo nga eh. To think that it was an injury year for DH.  It's funny how bitter the Laker fans are now.  Imagine if Bynum had stayed.  LA wanted to Dwight to stay 'coz they knew he was nowhere near 100% yet.

I hope Dwight has a full recovery from his back injury.  He'll bring back excitement in the paint, wherever he is.

Offline mattia

• Trade Count: (+165)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #558 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 05:52 PM »
Don't worry Laker Fans.  Let's just look forward to ---- what Kobe IX will look like? ???

Offline aRujoN

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 202
« Reply #559 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 06:43 PM »
NONE. hindi sign and trade nangyari.

wow.. he walked away from $30mil just like that..:o  he must not like being in the lakers organization that bad. (partly due to kobe?MDA?)

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #560 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 07:38 PM »
Madami talagang galit kay Dwight na Laker fans. Depende talaga sa ugali ng fan yan e. Yung mga obnoxious ones, talagang walang class. hehe

Tulad ng isa kong barkada, huge fan. Glass Half-full kinda guy. Galit na galit sa Twitter. Kesyo takot si Dwight at di kaya yung pressure sa LA, etc. Lastly, susunugin daw nya Dwight jersey nya tonight. Ayun, may humirit tuloy na Heat fan na: "mas maangas kung suot mo yung jersey habang sinusunog mo"

hahaha

yung mga tulad nya na fans yung nagdo-draw ng haters eh. :D

Offline puffalan84

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #561 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 08:15 PM »
I don't know why heat and laker fans hate each other, di naman sila division rival, di pa nga nagharap sa finals pero parang galit na galit sa isa't isa.. Wala kong hate na team sa nba, pero sa nfl I hate the jets.. 
Go Spurs / Go Patriots
The Pats way...

Offline sientobente

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • H i F i v e!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 64
« Reply #562 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 08:23 PM »

Hehe duncan making a troll face. Hilarious! ;)

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #563 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 08:31 PM »
What did you think of Kobe Bryant’s comments that he could teach you how to be a winner?

DH: “He didn’t say anything of that sort. People twisted a lot of stuff that he said. But in my personal opinion, I’m a winner. I’m a winner because I’ve been playing for nine years when the average career for an NBA player is three years. I’m a winner because I made it to the NBA from a small school in Atlanta, GA, with 16 people in a class. I’m a winner because I’m succeeding in life. I’ve had problems and I’m not better than the next man, but I’m going to push myself to be a winner when it comes to winning a championship. But he didn’t say anything like that and a lot of people twisted what he did say.”

@DVD_Freak

haha

ikaw ha, masiyado ka nagpapaniwala sa media!  >:D >:D ;D

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #564 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 08:54 PM »
Hey there, remember our discussion last year?

Orlando already got it's legit starting center in Vucevic. I'd take him anytime vs Lopez. Plus the filler Humphries was very unproductive last season. Still a bad trade there if it happened.

And can't believe you vouched for Royce White ;)

Wow!  Almost 1 year na.  Vucevic is a servicable big.  But right now not in the same league as Lopez. 

So Brook Lopez still injured on the same foot that kept him out last year. Andrew Bynum out probably for the entire season. Royce White going psycho. Orlando's GM Rob Hennigan is a Ninja!  8)

You were wrong on Lopez though this season.  He was an all star.  Still a lot better than Vucevic who would be a back up with another team.

Hahaha!  Did I vouch for Royce White....two sentences lang yata yun.  I read it again and it seems I was vouching more for the New Jersey package.   ;D Royce White was mentally unprepared so we have never really seen him play.  But yeah at the moment, he looks like he will never play in the NBA.  As for Humphries, he is attractive because he has an expring contract that could net you a player...maybe even an all star caliber player.  So yeah....after a year, New Jersey is still the better option though til now.  Wise as they still have the players they receieved.  But still not a genius as they still could have gotten more from that trade.

But As it is, Orlando comes out the winner by default simply because they still retain the mediocre players they acquired from the trade.  All serviceable but on really good teams, probably your back ups or the 8th, 9th guy on the bench.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2013 at 09:07 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #565 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 09:04 PM »

What did you think of Kobe Bryant’s comments that he could teach you how to be a winner?

DH: “He didn’t say anything of that sort. People twisted a lot of stuff that he said. But in my personal opinion, I’m a winner. I’m a winner because I’ve been playing for nine years when the average career for an NBA player is three years. I’m a winner because I made it to the NBA from a small school in Atlanta, GA, with 16 people in a class. I’m a winner because I’m succeeding in life. I’ve had problems and I’m not better than the next man, but I’m going to push myself to be a winner when it comes to winning a championship. But he didn’t say anything like that and a lot of people twisted what he did say.”
@DVD_Freak

haha

Hahaha!  Well a case of he said she said.  This is after all Dwight Howard.  And actually the media you are referring to were actually siding with the Lakers.  Go figure.   ;D  They were actually rooting for Howard to stay in LA.  I believe some of them were Ken Berger and Matt Moore.  The impression that Howard was turned off by Kobe actually came from reporters siding with the Lakers.  And now they are hating on Howard for passing up to be a legend.

That's how reliable it can get when the media who were saying that are those actually rooting for the Lakers retaining Howard.   :D
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2013 at 09:08 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline the_w0rks

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #566 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 09:16 PM »
@DVD_Freak

haha

Hahaha!  Well a case of he said she said.  This is after all Dwight Howard.  And actually the media you are referring to were actually siding with the Lakers.  Go figure.   ;D  They were actually rooting for Howard to stay in LA.  I believe some of them were Ken Berger and Matt Moore.  The impression that Howard was turned off by Kobe actually came from reporters siding with the Lakers.  And now they are hating on Howard for passing up to be a legend.

That's how reliable it can get when the media who were saying that are those actually rooting for the Lakers retaining Howard.   :D

I think it was Wojnarowski who came out with that particular piece about Kobe challenging Dwight, etc.

And lol at them for getting pissed at Dwight for the 50/50 indecision earlier. Reminded me of Ric Bucher saying that Kobe will never wear a Lakers jersey ever again. The media and their "sauces"

Offline DVD_Freak

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life is a Blessing
  • Liked:
« Reply #567 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 09:39 PM »
I think it was Wojnarowski who came out with that particular piece about Kobe challenging Dwight, etc.

And lol at them for getting pissed at Dwight for the 50/50 indecision earlier. Reminded me of Ric Bucher saying that Kobe will never wear a Lakers jersey ever again. The media and their "sauces"

Besides Dwight will never admit it.  Else he would again be considered as a douche. This after all is the same person who said he wasn't trying to have Stan Van Gundy fired....far from it.  He said that on record as well.   ;D. So the media was wrong there also.   ;) Likewise SVG.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2013 at 09:41 PM by DVD_Freak »

Offline leomarley

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #568 on: Jul 06, 2013 at 10:49 PM »
I don't know why heat and laker fans hate each other, di naman sila division rival, di pa nga nagharap sa finals pero parang galit na galit sa isa't isa.. Wala kong hate na team sa nba, pero sa nfl I hate the jets.. 
Go Spurs / Go Patriots

in that case i hate myself and love myself at the same time, twice! ;D (Lakers and Heat fan here ;D)

Offline daigoro

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Wired and disconnected
  • Liked:
« Reply #569 on: Jul 07, 2013 at 01:43 AM »
here's Jodie Meek's Instagram pic

:D  Anyway, the Lakers are better off in the long run. Howard wasn't a go to guy who could be reliable on the offensive end.