Author Topic: Oldboyracers HT build  (Read 203840 times)

Offline Oldboyracer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • May the upgrade be with you
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Oldboyracers HT build
« Reply #1110 on: Mar 16, 2015 at 10:56 AM »
Hello,

I really love the set up. Of course the gears are awesome but I appreciate more the quality of the design and build. Seems like everything has been well thought of and executed.

So this was what Erwin was telling me about when he was doing my sound treatment. He was absolutely right.

What I love about your set up is that despite the awesome gears, you were able to accomplish making the room the star and not the gears.

Awesome job

Thanx for the kind words JLT. Back in the UK my living room was L shaped & doubled as HT & audio room & of course normal living area. There was no room for acoustic wall treatment & had to put up with drapes front & back, floor carpet & the furnishings so the situation was not ideal. Having relocated to the Philippines I decided to build our house, this gave me the opportunity of a dedicated room. In actual fact I gave the architect the room size & told him to build the house around it. The build was a big learning curve for me so I had to do lots of research as my knowledge of an HT room build was zero. Yes a lot of thought was put in but as everything you do for the 1st time I have made a fair number of mistakes but thankfully they are little ones I can live with. I have found that most of the information from the experts is ideal conditions, I have improvised in a lot of areas & thankfully nothing has been detrimental. Once the carpet was laid the most surprised person was me, while I was involved in the build I didn't think about the finished look but I sat down, looked around & thought I've actually done it & it looks great. I'm not quite finished yet, there are still a few things to complete but it doesn't stop us using the room  ;D ;D ;D. I think I have too many acoustic panels & will experiment, they are easily removable but later in the year I will look to replace them with something different as the panel filling is susceptible to moisture absorption. I have already had a problem with mold & want panels that will not be affected by the humidity here.
I will post some proper pics when the room is finally complete.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2015 at 06:15 PM by Oldboyracer »
Emotiva XSP-1 & XPA-DR2, SMSL VMV D1, ND8006
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline dimfer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Eh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #1111 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 08:50 AM »
Hi OBR,

you can pre-treat your acoustic panels with mould killers and let it dry. it will be mould resistant (somehow) afterwards.
Magico S7, Trodt Gm70, Lamm LL2 Deluxe, PS Audio Direct Stream, Aurender A10, Garrard 401

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1112 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 06:12 PM »
Hi OBR,

you can pre-treat your acoustic panels with mould killers and let it dry. it will be mould resistant (somehow) afterwards.

Hi dimfer, under normal circumstances that would be an option but the panel filling is cellulose fiber which is 85% shredded paper & highly moisture absorbent (one of my mistakes, not researching the fiber). There are a few mold killers but very few will prevent the return. I stand to be corrected but whatever I could use would probably be in liquid form hence when it dries out the cellulose fiber forms a crust under the surface of the fabric. Once this happens the panel becomes semi reflective rather that an absorber, one thing is for sure the acoustic properties change. An answer would be to utilize a dehumidifier but I didn't build an HT room to have a permanent eyesore. I could run the air con. in dehumidifying mode but I think that will use more power. I don't like to work round problems but will do temporarily, it's my 1st introduction to acoustic treatment & it's given me a few ideas to work with. Normally gears are upgraded to achieve the required enjoyment, done that & got the tee shirt so my upgrades this year will be acoustics but thanks for the thought.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2015 at 06:17 PM by Oldboyracer »
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #1113 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 09:19 PM »
Obr, would love to hear from you soon hehehe

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1114 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 09:23 PM »
Obr, would love to hear from you soon hehehe

Hi ricky, I'll be in touch as soon as I am ready  ;) :)
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #1115 on: Mar 18, 2015 at 09:29 PM »
Ill be waiting.

Btw , no rattles so far? Since you followed everything to dot, im quite confident your room is rattle free up to 130db.

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1116 on: Mar 19, 2015 at 09:18 AM »
Ill be waiting.

Btw , no rattles so far? Since you followed everything to dot, im quite confident your room is rattle free up to 130db.

Hi ricky, yup completely rattle free, I obviously did something right   ;D
Had the opportunity last night to evaluate the sound proofing. I had visitors for a viewing session & left them to it while I cooked my dinner. I heard nothing except for the extremely loud & very low sounds from the subwoofer, even then you wouldn't notice it unless you knew the HT room existed. OK it's not perfect but quite acceptable.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #1117 on: Mar 19, 2015 at 05:30 PM »
Hi ricky, yup completely rattle free, I obviously did something right   ;D
Had the opportunity last night to evaluate the sound proofing. I had visitors for a viewing session & left them to it while I cooked my dinner. I heard nothing except for the extremely loud & very low sounds from the subwoofer, even then you wouldn't notice it unless you knew the HT room existed. OK it's not perfect but quite acceptable.

Weakest link would be the door, you can try putting door seal around the jamb, raven brand is good.

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1118 on: Mar 19, 2015 at 08:21 PM »
Weakest link would be the door, you can try putting door seal around the jamb, raven brand is good.

Hi ricky, I didn't investigate where the leakage was coming from but I have 2 sand filled doors with seals, fitted with the acoustic panels. Not altogether happy with the seal fitment but I intend to do a proper job once everything has settled.
Can you give me a cost for Raven brand & do you supply it ?
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2015 at 08:31 PM by Oldboyracer »
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1119 on: Mar 20, 2015 at 04:20 PM »
As promised DTNS, my 1st full months bill has come in at P4.33K. We've been using an induction hob for cooking but I will install the gas hob tomorrow so the consumption should go down but will increase with extra usage of the HT room when the screen is repaired  ;D It will take a couple of months to to settle & give me an idea of exact usage. One thing is for sure it's not going to be anywhere near the P22K estimated by VECO.

2nd months bill came in at P5.6K which isn't bad considering the HT room usage increased by about 75% & the audio system has also been running for around 8 hours a day, 7 days a week It looks as though our average bill will be around P6K so well happy with that   ;D
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Gino

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Audiophiliac
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #1120 on: Mar 20, 2015 at 04:31 PM »
I'd kill for P5.6k electricity bill  ;)

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #1121 on: Mar 20, 2015 at 06:14 PM »
2nd months bill came in at P5.6K which isn't bad considering the HT room usage increased by about 75% & the audio system has also been running for around 8 hours a day, 7 days a week It looks as though our average bill will be around P6K so well happy with that   ;D

that's amazing! is that inclusive of aircon use?  ::)
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1122 on: Mar 20, 2015 at 08:33 PM »
I'd kill for P5.6k electricity bill  ;)

I'm really surprised Gino, I was expecting a P10K bill to start off with. The real power hungry items we have are all inverter drives, never had this before so I'm a real newbie at what does or does not cost a lot to run. To be honest I've never had to bother before but I've started to change my thinking to Filipino & not UK.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1123 on: Mar 20, 2015 at 08:41 PM »
that's amazing! is that inclusive of aircon use?  ::)

Hi DTNS - yes. To be honest the only air con. we've used is in the HT room. We're so close to the sea that we get lovely breezes all the time & it's only occasionally that we use the ceiling fan in the living room & our bedroom. It's a case of open the windows & let it refresh the house, the only downside is I have to keep reminding everyone to wedge the doors as they make a hell of a racket when the wind gets hold of them.
I will use the air con. in my workshop when I've finally got it sorted but at the moment got 3 inverter types & 4 window types laying dormant.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #1124 on: Mar 20, 2015 at 09:45 PM »
Hi ricky, I didn't investigate where the leakage was coming from but I have 2 sand filled doors with seals, fitted with the acoustic panels. Not altogether happy with the seal fitment but I intend to do a proper job once everything has settled.
Can you give me a cost for Raven brand & do you supply it ?

Odd that my reply was not posted yesterday

Anyways, raven brand of seals are readily available at ace hardwares. You just have to choose the thickness corresponding to the gap between door-door jamb. DO NOT over do it by choosing a thicker seal ,thinking that it will help more with the sound /temperature leaks, it wont. It will just give you a hard time, very hard time closing the door hahahha

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1125 on: Mar 20, 2015 at 10:36 PM »
Odd that my reply was not posted yesterday

Anyways, raven brand of seals are readily available at ace hardwares. You just have to choose the thickness corresponding to the gap between door-door jamb. DO NOT over do it by choosing a thicker seal ,thinking that it will help more with the sound /temperature leaks, it wont. It will just give you a hard time, very hard time closing the door hahahha

Thanx for that ricky, I'll give ace a visit.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline jeffry10

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1126 on: Mar 21, 2015 at 06:09 AM »
Hi DTNS - yes. To be honest the only air con. we've used is in the HT room. We're so close to the sea that we get lovely breezes all the time & it's only occasionally that we use the ceiling fan in the living room & our bedroom. It's a case of open the windows & let it refresh the house, the only downside is I have to keep reminding everyone to wedge the doors as they make a hell of a racket when the wind gets hold of them.
I will use the air con. in my workshop when I've finally got it sorted but at the moment got 3 inverter types & 4 window types laying dormant.

nice. Enjoy OBR ! your place would be a great place to visit :).

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1127 on: Mar 21, 2015 at 10:08 AM »
nice. Enjoy OBR ! your place would be a great place to visit :).
Thanx toyfactor, fellow PDVD members are welcome to visit  :)
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1128 on: Apr 13, 2015 at 03:32 PM »
This post is the one I've been dreading. The screen had 4 vertical lines on the left hand side that would not go. They have now formed a black block with a yellow streak up the middle half the screen height & 4" wide. I will remove the back panels tomorrow to see if it's a silly thing like a loose plug or connection but if I get no joy it looks like a projector. I will wait until DTS-X is issued as it looks to be more versatile than the other new formats so an AV receiver upgrade looks to be on the cards as well   >:D
I'll be crying in my sleep at the thought of dumping the screen after so little use   :'( :'( :'(  as they say crap happens.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline jeff29jeff2002

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #1129 on: Apr 13, 2015 at 04:45 PM »
This post is the one I've been dreading. The screen had 4 vertical lines on the left hand side that would not go. They have now formed a black block with a yellow streak up the middle half the screen height & 4" wide. I will remove the back panels tomorrow to see if it's a silly thing like a loose plug or connection but if I get no joy it looks like a projector. I will wait until DTS-X is issued as it looks to be more versatile than the other new formats so an AV receiver upgrade looks to be on the cards as well   >:D
I'll be crying in my sleep at the thought of dumping the screen after so little use   :'( :'( :'(  as they say crap happens.

What a bad note it would be sir. These happens sir after the repair, right?
“It takes half your life before you discover life is a DIY project.”

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1130 on: Apr 13, 2015 at 07:20 PM »
That's not a good thing OBR. But at least you didn't spend much on the repair. But then again, what could go wrong if you decide to get a projector even if the issues re your TV is solved? Purchasing a PJ now will lessen the "sadness factor" if in case you have more issues with your TV.

Warlock in the works.  ;D

Walang kokontra.  ;)

And if by chance you are in Manila, you might want to visit my place for audition, coffee or beer and some small talk re our hobby.

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1131 on: Apr 13, 2015 at 08:30 PM »
What a bad note it would be sir. These happens sir after the repair, right?

I wish that was the case jeff but no, if you look back in the thread I've described all the problems. A little too much to repeat & would depress me even more if I had to go through it all again. If it was a normal TV screen not so much of a problem but the selling price when I purchased it in the UK was equivalent to P2.3 M, I was given a P900,000 discount so that's the reason I pulled the trigger. Seemed like a good idea at the time but not so good now   :(
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1132 on: Apr 13, 2015 at 08:40 PM »
That's not a good thing OBR. But at least you didn't spend much on the repair. But then again, what could go wrong if you decide to get a projector even if the issues re your TV is solved? Purchasing a PJ now will lessen the "sadness factor" if in case you have more issues with your TV.

Warlock in the works.  ;D

Walang kokontra.  ;)

And if by chance you are in Manila, you might want to visit my place for audition, coffee or beer and some small talk re our hobby.

Well the repair cost P40K+ & I'm feeling as if I may have purchased a lemon so I have a big decision to make if I don't find anything.
Yes I will be coming to Manila to visit the brothers in law, beers, audition & chat about our hobby, obsession, addiction (I'm sure there are a few more words for it) sounds like a great idea. Thanx for the invite, I'll PM you when we're coming over   :)   
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline RXV

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • DVD Guru
  • The difference is in the detailsssss...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1133 on: Apr 13, 2015 at 08:59 PM »
Well the repair cost P40K+ & I'm feeling as if I may have purchased a lemon so I have a big decision to make if I don't find anything.
Yes I will be coming to Manila to visit the brothers in law, beers, audition & chat about our hobby, obsession, addiction (I'm sure there are a few more words for it) sounds like a great idea. Thanx for the invite, I'll PM you when we're coming over   :)   

Sad to hear about your equipment sir. I hope you get to find a nice replacement in time.
FB: W Acoustics
Shopee: w_acoustics
IG: w_acoustics
OLX: wacoustics
VIBER / CONTACT: 0927-7904686

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1134 on: Apr 14, 2015 at 08:25 AM »
Sad to hear about your equipment sir. I hope you get to find a nice replacement in time.

Thanx RXV, any replacement will be pretty straight forward. The problem is the decision to dump a screen which cost me around P1.3 M & it has been in use for less than 400 hours. It's unfortunate it was in storage for 16 months after I purchased it. Had I realised the storage time would have been that long I probably would not have had it. One is always wiser after the event, as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing  :( :( :(
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2015 at 08:26 AM by Oldboyracer »
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #1135 on: Apr 22, 2015 at 09:06 AM »
Hey bro! Finally my long-awaited Cebu business trip will push thru May 7-9. May 7 is quite open then May 8 evening also open. Hope to visit you and "experience" your system. Thanks!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1136 on: May 04, 2015 at 01:17 PM »
Hey bro! Finally my long-awaited Cebu business trip will push thru May 7-9. May 7 is quite open then May 8 evening also open. Hope to visit you and "experience" your system. Thanks!

Hi Jen,
Sorry for the late reply, you're welcome to visit, either day is not a problem, you're choice.
I've been out of the loop for a while the netbook slowed to a halt so went out & got a PC built. They had a special offer on a gaming set up for P18.5K that the wife took a liking to so got that as well. The wife's is set up is in the bedroom & mine moved down into the games room so blown all my original network ideas out of the window. Hence the reason for me being out of circulation for a while.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #1137 on: May 04, 2015 at 03:12 PM »
Hi Jen,
Sorry for the late reply, you're welcome to visit, either day is not a problem, you're choice.
I've been out of the loop for a while the netbook slowed to a halt so went out & got a PC built. They had a special offer on a gaming set up for P18.5K that the wife took a liking to so got that as well. The wife's is set up is in the bedroom & mine moved down into the games room so blown all my original network ideas out of the window. Hence the reason for me being out of circulation for a while.

Thanks sir!
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1138 on: May 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM »

Update :- After a lot of searching & messing around I have found nothing. Had trouble contacting Panasonic, the guy I was dealing with is no longer associated with them. The head of Cebu customer services is now dealing with me but has been away but called this morning & a technician will arrive this afternoon to assess the situation.
A couple of pics of the problem.

If you look closely there is a mauve line to the left of the black block - on the edge of the Mustang's air scoop, this is what the original lines looked light

« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2019 at 08:59 PM by Oldboyracer »
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291