Author Topic: Oldboyracers HT build  (Read 204305 times)

Offline Oldboyracer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • May the upgrade be with you
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Oldboyracers HT build
« Reply #1170 on: Jun 30, 2015 at 10:32 AM »
For walling reinforcement, its better if you can get hold of high quality marine PLYBOARD. its denser than plywood. Another option is those water resistant mdfs. But for better sound insulation , gypsum board is much much better.

Hi ricky good spot, I forgot to mention that. Also with the el cheapo the 1/2" is actually 3/8" & the 3/4" is 5/8". Marlon is doing his walls & ceiling the way I did mine but only using 1 layer of Gypsum board.
I'm using some of the el cheapo marine plywood at the moment for some small shelves & I'm really surprised at how soft it is. If you go too heavy with the screwdriver it pulls the screwhead all the way through   :o.
Emotiva XSP-1 & XPA-DR2, SMSL VMV D1, ND8006
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1171 on: Jul 02, 2015 at 07:01 PM »
I've just had some bad news, it's been 5 weeks since Panasonic customer services visited, having chased them they had this to say :- Their accredited repairer has all the information but has failed to notify me. As per our query with Panasonic Japan we suspect the fault to be 80% plasma panel or C1 board or C2 board of D board. There are parts available but it will cost thousands of Pesos including tax & labour.
I have asked for someone of standing in Japan that I can deal with directly, it's been 3 days & still awaiting a reply. 
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline DTNS

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #1172 on: Jul 02, 2015 at 07:15 PM »
I've just had some bad news, it's been 5 weeks since Panasonic customer services visited, having chased them they had this to say :- Their accredited repairer has all the information but has failed to notify me. As per our query with Panasonic Japan we suspect the fault to be 80% plasma panel or C1 board or C2 board of D board. There are parts available but it will cost thousands of Pesos including tax & labour.
I have asked for someone of standing in Japan that I can deal with directly, it's been 3 days & still awaiting a reply. 

oh man, that is frustrating! :(   
Acer | Samsung | Harman Kardon | GoldenEar | NAD | Emotiva | SVS | iFi | Grado

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #1173 on: Jul 02, 2015 at 08:10 PM »
Hi ricky good spot, I forgot to mention that. Also with the el cheapo the 1/2" is actually 3/8" & the 3/4" is 5/8". Marlon is doing his walls & ceiling the way I did mine but only using 1 layer of Gypsum board.
I'm using some of the el cheapo marine plywood at the moment for some small shelves & I'm really surprised at how soft it is. If you go too heavy with the screwdriver it pulls the screwhead all the way through   :o.

That is the sad part in using wood.

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1174 on: Jul 02, 2015 at 09:57 PM »
oh man, that is frustrating! :(

Frustrating to say the least DTNS. I have a feeling the cost will be in excess of a PJ & screen unless Panasonic Japan step in.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1175 on: Jul 02, 2015 at 10:00 PM »
That is the sad part in using wood.

Hi ricky, I suppose since I've been here I've been educated quite a lot. Plywood in the UK does not act like that & is very solid. Fortunately the marine plywood in the HT room is of good quality & not very soft.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline marlon1925

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Forced kindness deserves no thanks.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1176 on: Jul 03, 2015 at 02:07 PM »
Frustrating to say the least DTNS. I have a feeling the cost will be in excess of a PJ & screen unless Panasonic Japan step in.

Sorry to hear about that sir George. tsk tsk tsk

If that's the case, you better get a PJ and a screen.
Audio Set-up:7.1.4 Atmos
Onkyo TX-NR3030
B&W HTM61
B&W 685
B&W ASW608
B&W DS3
B&W CCM663SR
Sony 55ES

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1177 on: Jul 03, 2015 at 02:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about that sir George. tsk tsk tsk

If that's the case, you better get a PJ and a screen.
You're right there marlon, the only problem is all the available cash at the moment has been earmarked for other things on the audio system. Unfortunately I'll have to put up with the screen at is untill next year & then it'll be PJ. I rather fancy one with the new laser light engine but wanted to wait & see what emerges from the manufacturers.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #1178 on: Jul 03, 2015 at 04:14 PM »
You're right there marlon, the only problem is all the available cash at the moment has been earmarked for other things on the audio system. Unfortunately I'll have to put up with the screen at is untill next year & then it'll be PJ. I rather fancy one with the new laser light engine but wanted to wait & see what emerges from the manufacturers.

I think there are cheaper hybrids. Or probably you could wait for the high contrast PJs.

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1179 on: Jul 07, 2015 at 09:18 PM »
I think there are cheaper hybrids. Or probably you could wait for the high contrast PJs.
Hi Nelson, I think I'll be waiting for at least 9 months so I'll see what's about early next year. Sorting out my vinyl re emergence is more a priority at the moment.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1180 on: Jul 07, 2015 at 09:22 PM »
Hi Nelson, I think I'll be waiting for at least 9 months so I'll see what's about early next year. Sorting out my vinyl re emergence is more a priority at the moment.

Yeah. And for the meantime :D there are those great Panny PJs that could fill the "emptiness" inside the dedicated room. :P Just remember, the first 2 months of waiting is like forever. 

Offline marlon1925

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1181 on: Jul 08, 2015 at 09:14 AM »
Yeah. And for the meantime :D there are those great Panny PJs that could fill the "emptiness" inside the dedicated room. :P Just remember, the first 2 months of waiting is like forever.

agree lol.

I have a mitsubishi HC3800 which has been sitting in the corner for a year now. Im planning to dispose it off since I already have Sony 55es for my build. If there are no takers, might just use it in my receiving area or family room with an electric screen. he he he :p
Onkyo TX-NR3030
B&W HTM61
B&W 685
B&W ASW608
B&W DS3
B&W CCM663SR
Sony 55ES

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1182 on: Jul 10, 2015 at 08:48 AM »

I have at long last had the official quote from Panasonic along with a message saying basically it's out of warranty, tough. The quote is for P881,088 for a replacement plasma panel + P5,000 labour. The previous mail said the problem could could be C1 board or C2 board on D board but 80% possibility it's the plasma panel. I find it incredible they want me to have the panel replaced when there is a 20% chance it's a board. I have asked for a name of someone senior ranking at Panasonic Japan so I can deal with them directly but Cebu customer services seem reluctant to comply.
One thing is for sure if Panasonic think it's OK for one of their premium products to fail like this after less than 350 hours use I will never buy Panasonic again, I don't care how good they may be   >:(
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1183 on: Jul 10, 2015 at 08:54 AM »
agree lol.

I have a mitsubishi HC3800 which has been sitting in the corner for a year now. Im planning to dispose it off since I already have Sony 55es for my build. If there are no takers, might just use it in my receiving area or family room with an electric screen. he he he :p

Hi Marlon, the screen is still watchable but it's difficult to ignore the the rather large black block on the left hand side. It will have to do until I go PJ, at the moment trying to get my head around quotes I've had for screens - P60K + for something that retails under $300 in the US.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #1184 on: Jul 10, 2015 at 07:57 PM »
Shipping cost is what gives the local available options that prohibitive price. Another good option is just go for a fixed screen setup and get the screen material abroad.

Offline jeffry10

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1185 on: Jul 11, 2015 at 07:39 AM »
good luck oldboy. too bad about the plasma. then again that's probably the reason plasamas went the way of the dinosaur :).

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1186 on: Jul 11, 2015 at 04:07 PM »
Shipping cost is what gives the local available options that prohibitive price. Another good option is just go for a fixed screen setup and get the screen material abroad.
Hi ricky, shipping is one increase but a 400% mark up for shipping does not compute with me. I may have to go down the DIY screen route but again something I know nothing about so a lot of research to be done.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1187 on: Jul 11, 2015 at 04:13 PM »
good luck oldboy. too bad about the plasma. then again that's probably the reason plasamas went the way of the dinosaur :).
Hi Scrooge, thanks for dropping in. Not so sure I agree with your comment, this is not a TV but a commercial display screen & still out performs all other display sources although saying that I've not seen OLED yet. Had I realised that it would spend the entire warranty period in storage I would never have bought it, you make mistakes in life & have to live with them.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1188 on: Aug 13, 2015 at 01:30 PM »
I was hoping to have some news from Panasonic by now but they are strangely quiet, from the mails I've received the problem would appear to rest with Cebu customer services. I do not intend to let this go, the screen is watchable but a bit of a pain with a chunk picture missing on the lower left. It looks certain for a PJ next year so I've got plenty of time to research   >:D
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline marlon1925

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #1189 on: Feb 03, 2016 at 09:17 AM »
Hi Guys! its been a long time....any news?
Onkyo TX-NR3030
B&W HTM61
B&W 685
B&W ASW608
B&W DS3
B&W CCM663SR
Sony 55ES

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1190 on: Oct 18, 2016 at 12:21 PM »
Hi Guys! its been a long time....any news?
Hi all, I've been away from the forum for a long time but have at last managed to drop by & post. Quite a lot has happened in the last year so I'll post an update soon.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline n o l

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #1191 on: Oct 18, 2016 at 06:52 PM »
Hi all, I've been away from the forum for a long time but have at last managed to drop by & post. Quite a lot has happened in the last year so I'll post an update soon.

Welcome back, Man! :)

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1192 on: Oct 20, 2016 at 12:30 PM »
Thanks nolax.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1193 on: Oct 20, 2016 at 01:21 PM »
Hi all, the news on the HT front is not good but more of that later.
After being in our new house for a year the snagging list was not getting any smaller so I've been completing the not so costly jobs plus kitting out my workshop with workbench, cupboards & a 40 pair shoe rack that is now on the wall in my workshop. All made to measure by myself, I'm no carpenter but I must have done something right as the wife has asked me to make her a dressing table & closets for the 3 other bedrooms. Our bedroom has walk in closets but not too happy with the finished product hence the wife's request. That's what has kept we away from the HT & the forum for over a year.
My Panny screen will now head for the scrap heap, I had someone recommended to me & he said he could sort it. I gave him the money for the parts he wanted & it's been unusable for nearly a year. We could not trace him but there was a good reason as it turned out, he'd died of a drug overdose & that's where the money for the parts went. I'm pretty convinced it will be an expensive repair. Panasonic say I have to deal with UK customer services as that's where it was purchased & to be honest I a little fed up with it all. I've decided that a projector & screen are going to be a far cheaper option so a rather large upgrade coming next year. I haven't had any HT for a year so a little longer is not going to hurt.
Now the real bad news, I have been visited by Mr. Termite, it would appear that my architects termite prevention procedure did not work. The only good news is the termites are now dead & the current situation is :-
Carpets lifted, stage & seat riser floors removed, the sand filling for both removed (all 4 tons of it), walls drilled for administering the termite killer, application of the termite killer into walls & floor, inspected yesterday to decide what has to be removed & what can stay. The seat riser is not too bad & will be repaired with the same timber, the stage is quite bad & the timber will be replaced with aluminium box section. I'm doing all the work myself as I've not been happy with the quality of work I have received so far. Once all the repairs have been done I will install a pipe matrix underfloor so the termite chemical can be applied every 5 years. This is going to keep me busy for quite a while.
Having decided on a projector I have also decided to upgrade to the latest audio & video codecs so all the alterations to the room will be done now in readiness, this includes the acoustics but more of that in a moment. I have decided to replace my Onkyo TX-NR5007 with a pre/pro & separate amplifiers also the Cambridge Audio 840E & 840W will become obsolete due to space restrictions in equipment console. The gear that I have selected subject to any new additions to manufacturers ranges is :- Screen ?(further research & availability required), projector - Sony VPL-HW45ES, pre/pro - Marantz AV7703, amps - Emotiva XPA 5 & 6 Gen 3. I would have liked to have gone for a laser projector but have decided to keep the costs sensible as I'm upgrading the AV receiver.
A little war & peace but that where I am at the moment. As this post has got a little long I'll start another about the acoustics.

SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1194 on: Oct 20, 2016 at 01:58 PM »
The acoustics.
I wasn't altogether happy with the acoustic installation but at the time I was a novice as far as acoustics go. The room is far too dead so now I have the opportunity to try & do it properly.
I don't like to complain in public about company's that have done work for me but with what's happened it has given me a chance to inspect the products I have purchased more closely. I ordered 54 panels 2 feet square & 2" thick, The panels that arrived although being 2 feet square vary in thickness between 1 & half & 2" in 5 different sizes. I have 3 different types of covering material used, I agreed 2 but expected the look to be very similar but alas no. I asked for a 1/4" bevel on the front & have 1/4", 1/2", no bevel (bevel at rear so covered back to front), round & some I cannot describe. Some might say why did I not send them back, the reason being I did not find all this out till after the panels had been installed. The home theater was the 1st room to be completed in the house build so I was not going check the panels in a building site environment & get them dirty. I thought that there would have been some sort of consistency for an order of 68 panels (14 for the living room) but it looks as if each one was made individually & not to the same standard. Some have been overfilled, some under filled & if you carefully look after becoming used to the room doesn't look too good. I had cause to dismantle the corner bass traps due to termite ingress, I found the footprint of all 8 was different, the tops & bottoms were of a different size to the main frame, the wood that I exposed I can only describe as recycled, the lengths were not what I ordered, there are a few other things but I think I've said enough, I will not name the company publicly but if anyone is purchasing acoustic products at the moment I'm happy to converse by PM.
After my experimenting I will be approaching PDVD acoustic installers to enlist their help so watch this space.

Edit :- Due to what's happened to me in the last 2 & half years I will elaborate as I would not wish for fellow PinoyDVD members to be ripped off. I sent the worst HT panels back for replacement, when they eventually returned there looked to be mold on them. As they came by sea I thought maybe seawater had got in so was rather surprised that when I complained I was told "I dried them out before I sent them". They had obviously got wet but not fully dry when sent hence the mold, also the surface of the filling had gone rock hard so the panel wouldn't function as expected.
As the installation took place through the night I didn't see what went on but instead of using masking tape to mark the panel positions the installer used an orinary pencil on the walls. He said just use an eraser, it will come off & left me to do it, I wasn't best pleased but pencil is one of the hardest to remove & ended up repainting the walls.
When I opened up the corner base traps to alter them to to correct dimensions I found termites inside so my termite problem may have come from Manila but that's only maybe but a possibility.
As I've already said I will not name names but if you look at reply 844 on page 29 of this thread you can see a pic of the installer. What the situation with him is now 2 & half years later, I don't know but the work did for me was unacceptable.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2021 at 12:22 AM by Oldboyracer »
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline ricky

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
« Reply #1195 on: Oct 25, 2016 at 07:05 PM »
I hate to say i told you so george , but its saddening really bec people are thinking that its a still but in reality it's just st a waste of money and precious time.

Yes it is cheaper bec you are buying piece by piece , but if you try to compute the cost per square meter it will end up almost similar to a well constructed room.

I wouldnt last this long if i did short cuts or tried to scrimp on materials used. Most of the theaters i built, after 5yrs it still looks brand new as if newly built. So far no probl m encountered.

The secret? I always treat each ht i build as if its my own. Lots of sleepless nights  figuring out whats the best design for every room. Up to now no 2 rooms are the same design(crazy me hahaha)

Im glad that ive been part of your build ( framings) and thank you for the trust george.

Sorry for the ot, but i was the one before who wanted george to expose the other guy and its not pareng nelson de leon ha, the other guy pa. Saw the materials he was using and its for another purpose. Good marketing lang sya is nlike me walang marketing skills lol.

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1196 on: Oct 25, 2016 at 07:59 PM »
Just to let everyone know, ricky will be paying me a visit so we can sort out the acoustics properly. As ricky said "I told you so", he was right but unfortunately I had already placed an order before we spoke for the 1st time. Still as they say, you learn by your mistakes & I've learned big time.
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE
HT - Substantial

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #1197 on: Oct 25, 2016 at 11:04 PM »
I hate to say i told you so george , but its saddening really bec people are thinking that its a still but in reality it's just st a waste of money and precious time.

Yes it is cheaper bec you are buying piece by piece , but if you try to compute the cost per square meter it will end up almost similar to a well constructed room.

I wouldnt last this long if i did short cuts or tried to scrimp on materials used. Most of the theaters i built, after 5yrs it still looks brand new as if newly built. So far no probl m encountered.

The secret? I always treat each ht i build as if its my own. Lots of sleepless nights  figuring out whats the best design for every room. Up to now no 2 rooms are the same design(crazy me hahaha)

Im glad that ive been part of your build ( framings) and thank you for the trust george.

Sorry for the ot, but i was the one before who wanted george to expose the other guy and its not pareng nelson de leon ha, the other guy pa. Saw the materials he was using and its for another purpose. Good marketing lang sya is nlike me walang marketing skills lol.

Haha! Thank you for clearing that out. Hehe! Go Ricky! I've also encountered many problems regarding wrong treatment by enhancing certain frequencies while mitigating the other frequencies.

Unfortunately acoustic is not supposed to be "hit and miss" thing. It's an exact science. Honestly, HT is suppose to be "not that sensitive" when it comes to treatment BUT deserves equal attention as well.

Offline Oldboyracer

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #1198 on: Oct 26, 2016 at 02:23 PM »
Hi Nelson, I've only got good things to say about you   ;D
SL1200 MK6
MS  Performance 6 LE