Author Topic: Help: How do you get your projector "Perfectly Square"?  (Read 2962 times)

Offline jnazareta

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
Help: How do you get your projector "Perfectly Square"?
« on: Nov 14, 2013 at 06:28 AM »
Hi Fellow PinoyDvd Members,

I recently acquired a pre-owned projector with screen. We already mounted the screen and got the image on in but in my observation it seems that the image is not perfectly squared. When watching a movie the top right side has bigger black bars than the Left top side and the lower right side black bars is bigger than the lower left black bars. My pj is ceiling mounted and used the horizontal and vertical lens shift of the pj , I'm not sure on how to get this done. I tried tilting the projector up and down(facing the side of the pj) but with no progress. I will try to move the pj from left to right and see if this will make a difference. Hoping someone can provide assistance on this. TIA po..!!!!

Offline edwn1220

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 476
Re: Help: How do you get your projector "Perfectly Square"?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 06:40 AM »
Have you tried adjusting the keystone?
Frans hominum ad perniciem, et integritas ad salutem, vocat.

Offline jnazareta

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 06:48 AM »
Have you tried adjusting the keystone?

Yes I have tried using the keystone feature but it makes the top part of the images longer on the top part than the bottom and vice versa. My issue is the left side part of the image is fine but the right side is the issue. by measuring it the left side image is taller than the right side.

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2013 at 07:02 AM by jnazareta »

Offline edwn1220

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • In & Out
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 476
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 07:05 AM »
Just the same. You need to work on the keystone adjustment.
Based from your description, you adjusted the vertical keystone. What you need to do is to correct the horizontal keystone.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2013 at 07:06 AM by edwn1220 »
Frans hominum ad perniciem, et integritas ad salutem, vocat.

Offline jnazareta

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 07:16 AM »
Just the same. You need to work on the keystone adjustment.
Based from your description, you adjusted the vertical keystone. What you need to do is to correct the horizontal keystone.

Sir edwn1220, It seems that the keystone adjustment for my PJ is only for vertical and not option for hirizontal. please look on the image below po for reference.

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 07:30 AM »
It's not advisable to use the keystone adjustment -unless you have no other choice- because it distorts the image.

The taller image at the left side indicates that the left of the projector is farther than the right. If you stand under the projector and face the screen, look up at the projector and rotate it clockwise. Next, use the zoom to adjust the size of the image to the screen. The problem is that when you do that, you might shift the image to the right. Then, you have to use the "lens shift" function to move the image to the left. If you don't have a lens shift function you have to physically move the screen or projector .
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 08:18 AM »
malamang hindi iskwalado yung wall na pinagkabitan ng screen. as sir streetsmart said the left side is farther than the right. you can fix this by moving the left side of the screen forward, or the right side backward. how to do that will depend on how your screen is mounted.

mas maganda nga try to center everything manually muna without depending on the pj functions. leave those functions for fine tuning na lang.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline jnazareta

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 08:45 AM »
It's not advisable to use the keystone adjustment -unless you have no other choice- because it distorts the image.

The taller image at the left side indicates that the left of the projector is farther than the right. If you stand under the projector and face the screen, look up at the projector and rotate it clockwise. Next, use the zoom to adjust the size of the image to the screen. The problem is that when you do that, you might shift the image to the right. Then, you have to use the "lens shift" function to move the image to the left. If you don't have a lens shift function you have to physically move the screen or projector .

Thanks po sir streetsmart, will try your advice later this afternoon since i still dont have a curtain to cover the sunlight. If not to much to ask po does anybody know where I can source a black out cloth to be sew as a curtain to block the sunlight po. TIA po ulit...

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 08:53 AM »
Thanks po sir streetsmart, will try your advice later this afternoon since i still dont have a curtain to cover the sunlight. If not to much to ask po does anybody know where I can source a black out cloth to be sew as a curtain to block the sunlight po. TIA po ulit...

Sir check nyo po sa "Shell Canvass"
I think they have branches sa Cubao and Sucat.

Offline Macmon

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM »
Suggestion sir.
1. reset all to factory setting. BUT record first your present settings before reset. Check if still the same.
2. Try to place your projector  projections on a piece of white paper a 1 arm length away from the lens see if the problem persists.
To Boldly go where no Bluray has gone before.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM »
To minimize mistakes, you should mount the projector (the lens specifically) centered sa screen. That way, vertical keystone na lang. Then you also have to make sure that your PJ screen is mounted at 90 degrees based on your PJ.

Offline rulesmeister

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 02:11 PM »
I used a nylon string to measure the length of the wall where the PJ screen will be mounted. Fold the string into half, ung half length ng nylon will be the exact half ng mount ng PJ screen mo.

Use the same principle on the opposite side of the wall where you mount your PJ, half length of the string will be the center of your PJ lens. Use screw-type hooks to secure the strings. A very small adjustment of tilt, pitch and yaw will ensure "perfect square" picture. NEVER use keystone.

Offline R1DVD

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 07:35 PM »
Yes I have tried using the keystone feature but it makes the top part of the images longer on the top part than the bottom and vice versa. My issue is the left side part of the image is fine but the right side is the issue. by measuring it the left side image is taller than the right side.

Based on your diagram, it appears that the PJ is not oriented perpendicular to the screen surface.  You have to turn the PJ a little to the right.  Or baka naman nga yung front wall (where the screen is mounted) is not parallel sa back wall.  It would also help if you use a bubble leveller (yung ginagamit ng mga carpenters) to make sure the screen and PJ are perfectly horizontal

Offline jnazareta

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 10:39 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the replies and opinion, I took all your advises and was able to set the projected image correctly. Here's what I did, first I measured the distance of my wall where the projected screen is mounted. then I tooked half of it as the center of the projected image. I did the same measurement against the wall where the projector is located then used a string as a guide. I then pitch an image to the projector screen and from the center of the projected image I used a string to measure if all the sides are equal distance with the center of the projected image. I then started to see that the top and lower right sides are shorter compare to the left top and bottom side. I placed my left below the projector and start to move it clockwise. Then again I measured the distance of all sides t the center of the image. Nearly 10 minutes of tilting and moving the projector clockwise and counter clockwise I finally able to get all the sides to measure the same from the center of the projected image. After confirming that all the side are equally distance I started to use the zoom function of the lens and was able to fill the entire projector screen with an image, This time all the sides are equal. I now used the Horizontal and Vertical lens shift function of the projector to get the image to the correct position. I only forgot 1 thing. I was not able to measure the total size of the projected image on the PJ screen..Again with all my heart I put hats off to all you guys for assisting me with this. More power to all of you...!!!!

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM »
Congrats!

Offline streetsmart

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Life imitates movies ...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM »
Very good. Nice to hear.

You will be surprised that even the technicians of some audio video stores do not know the proper procedure to square the projector to the screen. Mas magaling pa ang pinoydvd.
No room acoustic treatment is like running a Ferrari on ice.