Author Topic: Speaker wires, Plugs/Spades and Binding Posts/Wall plates  (Read 1903 times)

Offline egzbuen

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi,

I just purchased a yammy for the condo I'm renovating right now. I'm setting up a 7.1 system. I'm getting the speakers soon but my architect needs to lay the wires already.

1. What do you guys suggest for speaker wires with a budget of 40-55/meter? Any shop recommended within Metro Manila? Is it worth the trip down to Raon for speaker cables/wires?

2. I'm thinking of using spades or banana plugs, are these ok to buy in Raon? Any specific shop there that you guys go to?

3. Where can I buy binding posts? Since all wires will be laid/installed within rough-ins, I want binding posts for all speakers to connect to. How much do these go for nowadays? Are these available in Raon as well?

It's been years since the last time I went to Raon. Prolly, 8-9 years, so I don't mind taking a day trip and visit this place again. If it's really worth the travel ;)

Cheers

Offline remington

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Speaker wires, Plugs/Spades and Binding Posts/Wall plates
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014 at 06:43 PM »
if I'm in your shoes I would invest a little bit more in the wires because they tend to deteriorate overtime and in your case will be very difficult to replace because they will be layed hidden. try to find oxygen free copper (ofc). quantum ofc 214 cables for example the chrome coated copper type I have tried and find it good and durable. Try golden mars in raon near deeco for your other requirements.
tube + audio nirvana = beyond...

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014 at 08:33 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the Raon shop suggestion. Will try to check them out tomorrow or next weekend.

Insofar as the ocp wires are concerned, which brand has the most reasonable price? Any chance there are some within my posted price range?

Thanks again.

if I'm in your shoes I would invest a little bit more in the wires because they tend to deteriorate overtime and in your case will be very difficult to replace because they will be layed hidden. try to find oxygen free copper (ofc). quantum ofc 214 cables for example the chrome coated copper type I have tried and find it good and durable. Try golden mars in raon near deeco for your other requirements.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014 at 08:36 PM by egzbuen »

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014 at 08:38 PM »
You may want to check the cables & wall plates of Anya (Philip) at the marketplace.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014 at 08:44 PM »
Or if your into DIY, bili ka ng blank plate and bolt on the raon type binding posts.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014 at 11:12 PM »
Mbtorn, thanks mate, will check out this thread.

Nelson, Any particular shop in Raon do you suggest so I need not go around so much na? ;) how about going rate of these binding posts and plates there? Thanks.

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014 at 02:30 AM »
Mbtorn, thanks mate, will check out this thread.

Nelson, Any particular shop in Raon do you suggest so I need not go around so much na? ;) how about going rate of these binding posts and plates there? Thanks.

Not familiar with the stores there as i myself seldom visit raon. Blank plates are available at the hardwares. I think Don King Markcrenz sells binding posts here.

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014 at 01:37 PM »
Is the Monoprice brand pure copper?

How about the wires being sold by 5th Avenue? They go for 72bucks/meter at 14awg

Offline egzbuen

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014 at 03:38 PM »
Few more things:

1. are the shops at Raon open even on Sundays, or should I go there on a Saturday to make sure all of 'em are open?

2. Tried Deeco and the other shops in Cubao, they didn't have the binding posts/wall plates I needed. But found them to have cheap alphenol co-ax cables. Would raon have these binding posts/wall plates?

Thanks guys.