Author Topic: upgrading from a panasonic ae4000 to either epson tw8200 or sony vpl40es?  (Read 4841 times)

Offline lecram

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is this move a worthy upgrade? Will i notice a marked improvement in picture quality ? I am not sure but sometimes when there is a fast action scene or fast moving image, i get a little headache. Wonder if its with the projector or not.

Screen size is 106" viewing distance 13ft.

Currently looking at either the epson 8200 and sony vpl40 es, is the sony vpl55es a big improvement compared to the vpl40?

Thanks for any advise

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• Trade Count: (+120)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Provides ALL your BASS needs...NOTHING comes close
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 119
Based from the last Hifi Show I find the VPL hw40es to have better overall PQ than the AE8000. So yes, I think the hw40es will be a good upgrade from AE4000.
Based also from what Im reading on other sites, the advantage of hw55es are better Black Levels because of the auto iris and the hw55es has more options for calibrations and access to settings... Also take note that hw40es has higher output lumens after calibration compared to hw55es...

Offline GIJoe

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 285
Based from the last Hifi Show I find the VPL hw40es to have better overall PQ than the AE8000. So yes, I think the hw40es will be a good upgrade from AE4000.
Based also from what Im reading on other sites, the advantage of hw55es are better Black Levels because of the auto iris and the hw55es has more options for calibrations and access to settings... Also take note that hw40es has higher output lumens after calibration compared to hw55es...

Hmm kaya pala. Ask lang sis pag ba calibrate ko yung HW55 di ba tataas ang output lumens niya like the HW40?  ;D ;D

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Hmm kaya pala. Ask lang sis pag ba calibrate ko yung HW55 di ba tataas ang output lumens niya like the HW40?  ;D ;D

It can be calibrated to be brighter but you will sacrifice the picture quality. Baka magsuffer sis ang black levels and contrast...

Offline lecram

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
If you guys say calibrate, do you mean professionally calibrated? Or can i do it myself?
As for the sony, the specs is only 1,700 lumens compared to 2,400 for the epson 8200, is this a a very significant difference?  This is the only reason why i am leaning towards the epson,

Ask ko na din, where can i see a demo of the sony vpl40?

Thanks

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
If you guys say calibrate, do you mean professionally calibrated? Or can i do it myself?
As for the sony, the specs is only 1,700 lumens compared to 2,400 for the epson 8200, is this a a very significant difference?  This is the only reason why i am leaning towards the epson,

Ask ko na din, where can i see a demo of the sony vpl40?

Thanks

You can calibrate it by yourself...
Sony VPL hw40es still has higher output lumens compared to Epson tw8200 after calibration or adjusting the settings. If you will maximize the output of the Epson then picture quality will the sacrificed (PQ washed out / black levels/contrast will suffer)
But both PJs are very very good. You will not go wrong with either.
Some considerations to note:
1. If you will use it for gaming then hw40es will be the winner because of its lower input lag
2. If your area will have ambient lighting the hw40es will also be the winner because of its higher lumens output after calibration
3. If you will use it for 3D then Epson tw8200 has the advantage
4. Reports also shows that Epson tw8200 has slight edge in black levels

Hope this helps ;)

Offline lecram

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
You can calibrate it by yourself...
Sony VPL hw40es still has higher output lumens compared to Epson tw8200 after calibration or adjusting the settings. If you will maximize the output of the Epson then picture quality will the sacrificed (PQ washed out / black levels/contrast will suffer)
But both PJs are very very good. You will not go wrong with either.

Some considerations to note:
1. If you will use it for gaming then hw40es will be the winner because of its lower input lag
2. If your area will have ambient lighting the hw40es will also be the winner because of its higher lumens output after calibration
3. If you will use it for 3D then Epson tw8200 has the advantage
4. Reports also shows that Epson tw8200 has slight edge in black levels

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks sa advise, will primarily use it for movie watching and TV (lots of NBA HD) , for now no 3D for me, and will be installed in a multi-purpose area with some ambient lighting in the mornings, cant completely control sunlight during the day

With this, i am thinking to really look hard into getting the sony instead. Wonder if it is also worth going to a 55es or the 40es will be enough for my application?

Expect ko sana significant improvement with PQ compared to my current ae4000 panasonic.

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Thanks sa advise, will primarily use it for movie watching and TV (lots of NBA HD) , for now no 3D for me, and will be installed in a multi-purpose area with some ambient lighting in the mornings, cant completely control sunlight during the day

With this, i am thinking to really look hard into getting the sony instead. Wonder if it is also worth going to a 55es or the 40es will be enough for my application?

Expect ko sana significant improvement with PQ compared to my current ae4000 panasonic.

If you have the budget for the Sony VPL hw55es sir then I suggest going for it :)
Para walang what if's... hehe
Go for the best that money can buy ^-^

You can also check out JVC X35, I believe Toyama showroom used this during their Atmos demo in their showroom this 1st week of December and they are also selling it ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014 at 09:28 AM by ♡ Louie_18™ ✌ »

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
I believe the Ae4000 is nearly like the epson 8350(which I had) .. In my experience Going to the Hw40 or the tw8200  is a real upgrade ..

The increase in Sharpness and black level detail , and colors are all there ,  I also have a 106 in screen  and about 13 feet viewing distance , it's just like a big plasma . Since I have a light controlled room in some movies it is bordering on being a bit too bright already so now I have to move up to a larger screen , as the picture is so much better

And to validate my observation in the improvement , i  have real positive comments from the rest of the household ... My change from a AR200 panasonic (720p) to the epson 8350 (1080p) never got any  similar comments.. I am using  a HTPC  as a source and had to set it (fonts and icons)  to Larger to improve legibility on the 8350  , Now I can set it to smaller  in the Display sub menu .

But seeing is believing so best to check out the dealers demo
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM by jambam »

Offline lecram

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Hi jambam, ask ko lang which projector did you choose for an upgrade from your 8350? You went with the sony or the epson?  May i ask din what kind of screen did you use? Should we get a higher end screen to see the improvements in the newer projectors? I currently use Draper Luma screen, yun sale dati sa listening room, wonder if this screen is up to par sa mga newer projectors?

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
Hi lecram , I have a sony , I found the picture to be more film like , my old epson looked too digital ,also OTB performance of the Sony is better too,  but they say blacks are better on the new epson.   .. 

My current screen is a fixed frame type material sourced from Ebay , not sure if this is the one now called Carl's screen material , as I got it 6 or 7 yrs ago ...  I dont think you need a new screen , as I know the Draper Luma is quite good , actually I have one too , still unopened since I bought it..( No time to build a new fixed screen)

Offline lecram

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
hi louie,

i noticed in your set-up pictures that you have a huge screen, may i ask what size yun screen mo and what brand? also wondering if my older Draper Luma manual matte white screen will do any justice with the current 1080p projectors?

sir jambam,

hay salamat at pasado pa yun draper luma, now the problem is selling the ae4000 for the newer projectors.. haay
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2014 at 11:20 PM by lecram »

Offline ♡ lvcdg23™ ✌

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Sir Marcel, I have a 140" Acoustically Transparent screen. I think the gain is 1.0 and I actually do not know the brand, hehe. I got the screen material from a fellow pdvd member almost 3 years ago. If you are going to get the Sony hw40es I suggest checking out Elite Screen Cinegrey screen. This will improve contrast and since the hw40es has high output lumens, you will not be needing a high gain screen like the Cinewhite material, but I think as what sir Ed(jambam) said, your current Draper Luma is still a good screen. You could try it out first with hw40es before getting a new screen :)
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2014 at 11:43 PM by ♡ Louie_18™ ✌ »

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
The suggestion of Louie is best , for you to try out your screen first , it's still a good screen , it is also the only way you can determine the improvement with a new projector ,

One change at a time .

Once you have more time with your projector on your current screen (Draper) , only then it would be time  to determine what upgrade path you need to take ..

e.g too bright  , switch to a bigger screen or relocate the projector further to decrease brightness

Not black enough ,  add special filter or change to grey  screen

One thing that really worked for me too , is adding masking for cinema wide (2.39:1) movies  which greatly enhanced the perceived contrast level
« Last Edit: Dec 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM by jambam »

Offline regulus

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • live by faith and not by sight
  • Liked:
Ei just want to share my experience with the vpl hw es40. Just sold my pta ae7000 a 2 months ago and got this as an upgrade. The first thing i noticed out of the box the presets were very good already and all I had to do is adjust brightness and contrast a bit. There'sa bit of lag for fast scenes but i'll play with the setting and see if it will improve.

Here it is at 150"

Offline marlon1925

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Forced kindness deserves no thanks.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Hi guys,

Finally decided to get 55es. Has anyone here tried using it for a curved Elite Screen (Curve135H-A4K)?

Im still building my HT and PJ will be arriving in 3-4 days. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Audio Set-up:7.1.4 Atmos
Onkyo TX-NR3030
B&W HTM61
B&W 685
B&W ASW608
B&W DS3
B&W CCM663SR
Sony 55ES