Author Topic: Ideas to Mask the TOP & BOTTOM "Black" Bars on the PJ Screen  (Read 2873 times)

Offline rulesmeister

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Movie aspect ratios of 2.39:1 and 1.85:1 caused "dark grey" bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Do you guys have any ideas (DIY) on how to efficiently mask the "black" bars (Ung madaling ikabit at tanggalin if I switched movie aspect ratio)?

AVSforum members uses motorized "black curtain" on their PJ screens when switching from a 16:9 movie to 2.93 or 1.85:1 movies, however these are quite expensive and are not available locally. 
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2015 at 01:22 PM by rulesmeister »

Offline Courage

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Ideas to Mask the TOP & BOTTOM "Black" Bars on the PJ Screen
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2015 at 06:04 PM »
Movie aspect ratios of 2.39:1 and 1.85:1 caused "dark grey" bars at the top and bottom of the screen. Do you guys have any ideas (DIY) on how to efficiently mask the "black" bars (Ung madaling ikabit at tanggalin if I switched movie aspect ratio)?

AVSforum members uses motorized "black curtain" on their PJ screens when switching from a 16:9 movie to 2.93 or 1.85:1 movies, however these are quite expensive and are not available locally. 

Dapat gagawa ako ng thin black board na may Velcro sa magkabilang side, pero di natuloy dahil I disposed na my PJ. Yun nga lang Manually ka mag kakabit at mag aadjust..
Walang Setup

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2015 at 06:51 PM »
Just a quick post of what I did ..

I have a fixed screen which makes it a lot easier for me ..

Phone cam pics to quickly show what it looks like..

Normal 16:9 screen

Masked for 2.35:1

What I use is black felt cloth (light and rigid ) attached by black velcro strips, its an easy  minutes  or 2 to install or take out . One tip you need to sew the velcro to the cloth , at first I just used double sided tape that came with the velcro strips, but it kept being detached .

The resulting improvement w/ the increase in perceived contrast level is really worth the extra effort to install it ...

Offline Tempter

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2015 at 06:57 PM »
If you dont mind a bit stretched picture especially for those ultra wide movies, there are players that you can easily modify the aspect ratio based on your liking... ;)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline Nelson de Leon

• Trade Count: (+141)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 291
If you dont mind a bit stretched picture especially for those ultra wide movies, there are players that you can easily modify the aspect ratio based on your liking... ;)

Meron din player na ni-zoom niya to fit, then cut the sides of the image.

Offline crazyhog

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ideas to Mask the TOP & BOTTOM "Black" Bars on the PJ Screen
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2015 at 10:03 PM »
" Pictures taken last last year and copy - paste sa post ko s AVS ,

Made my own version black screen wall  plus roll up/roll down DIY masking, and black side walls for trials at the moment for my W1070

materials used
- 1 pc 1inch stainless tubular ( curtain hanger )
- 1 pc 1/2 inch stainless tubular ( curtain hanger )
- 2 pcs curtain hanger holder
-  soft black felt cloth
-  adhesive
- sewing thread

sample of 1/2 inch tubular

holder and 1inch tubular after installation

Closed up shot at mask rolled up

rolled up masking

rolled down masking 8" in height

no mask - lights on - full screen

no mask - lights off - full screen

no mask - lights on - 2.35 aspect ratio

no mask- lights on- adjust scale x 3 and height postion to eliminate lower portion of black letter box

mask down - lights on - ( same scale and height position )

and lights off. ( same scale and height )
 and compared to no mask

mask rolled up - lights off -( Same scale and height)

mask rolled up - lights off - default aspect ( letter box )
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2015 at 10:04 PM by crazyhog »

Offline praktikal

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2015 at 10:23 PM »
mas effective lang siguro ang "tapal" for fixed screen...

pwede siguro naka flip down sa taas at naka flip up naman ang sa ibaba. (parang adik lang hehehe)

baka pwedeng idikit mo ang black felt sa aluminium  sheet para manipis. wag sa 1/4 ply. baka pwede din ang formica lalo kung may flat black baka pwedeng di ka na mag felt kung non-reflective.

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 09:48 AM »
Thanks for the ideas, actually I have DIY'ed 2 types of masks dati. First is plywood ung pinakamanipis, wrapped in black cloth tapos dikit nalang sa screen using velcro. Madaling ikabit but it keeps on falling because of its weight. Ung second ko is black cloth lang pinatahi ko 2 sheets each, however matagal ikabit kc trial and error gawa ng malambot ung tela and you need to stretched the cloth for the edges to be straight enough to cover the black bars. Both are not effective.

I use HTPC (Splash PRO, XBMC, SVP & PDVD14) as media player, pwede nman e-stretch ung image to fit to the 16:9 screen, pero lalabo ng konti ung video and you'll loss the images on both ends of the screen. Besides mas maganda if you view the movie (aspect ratio untouched) the same way as the director intends to show his "creation".

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 11:38 AM »
Pwede siguro yun mga mechanical window riser ng mga sasakyan, ma-DIY for that application.

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 12:10 PM »
Meron din player na ni-zoom niya to fit, then cut the sides of the image.

But I am referring to those players which you can zoom without cropping any part of the picture, just stretching it to fit whole of the screen. ;)
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 12:46 PM »
But I am referring to those players which you can zoom without cropping any part of the picture, just stretching it to fit whole of the screen. ;)

I could do that with Sir with either the HTPC or sa PJ mismo, problem with this is that the circle will become oblong, square becomes rectangle and it distorts the image. Parang ang dating is 80's na Kung fu movies na elongated ung mukha. :)
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2015 at 12:51 PM by rulesmeister »

Offline Tempter

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2015 at 02:17 PM »
I could do that with Sir with either the HTPC or sa PJ mismo, problem with this is that the circle will become oblong, square becomes rectangle and it distorts the image. Parang ang dating is 80's na Kung fu movies na elongated ung mukha. :)

Yep, that's why may qualifier ako hehe!!! If you don't mind that... But since you do, then it is out of the question. ;)

Offline markcrenz

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2015 at 01:58 AM »
First is plywood ung pinakamanipis, wrapped in black cloth tapos dikit nalang sa screen using velcro. Madaling ikabit but it keeps on falling because of its weight.
ok na yan sa tingin ko, double clip mo na lang . May need plywood backing para 'di ma masira screen.
Sent from my Pentium 166MMX using PS/2 keyboard

Offline rulesmeister

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 07:09 AM »
ok na yan sa tingin ko, double clip mo na lang . May need plywood backing para 'di ma masira screen.

good idea sir pero makapal ung likod ng PJ screen. I'll try the black felt as posted by the gentleman above. Pag may time pwede rin subokan ung rollup/down na mask.. :-)

Offline Nelson de Leon

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Let us lead by example
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Feb 26, 2015 at 08:01 AM »

Yes. That's why i mentioned the zoom function. Splashpro ata yun player. It zooms in till the top and low borders fit the screen. May loss sa sides pero hindi gaano halata.

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
If the majority of what you watch is 2.35:1 and you are using a htpc , you can consider to set custom resolutions and make your display limited to the 2.35:1 aspect ratio , thereby making it Constant image height (CIH)