Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 270418 times)

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2007 at 08:20 AM »
Plasma TV Is Better Than LCD And Thats Official
By David Richards | Wednesday | 16/05/2007

Plasma promo site (Panasonic Australia)

Since the survey was initiated by Panasonic, I feel it's bias toward plasma. Both plasma & LCD has its own advantages. I guess at the end it all boils down to the question of-

Which is better value for me right now: plasma or LCD? As  Randolph Ramsay put it:

"If you're in the market for a big screen television -- and we're talking 50-inches and above -- then we'd suggest plasma as a safe bet. Plasmas give you more bang for your buck at the big end of town, and while LCDs can give you better resolution, plasma still has the edge in terms of picture quality.

At the smaller end of things (15" to 42" TVs), LCD is the only way to go if you want something slim and tasteful. And the best thing is that LCDs are getting cheaper all the time."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 at 08:21 AM by pchin »

Offline alx

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #211 on: May 21, 2007 at 08:59 AM »

- Hitachi 42PD9800TA, 42" Plasma, sabi nung salesman, without the freebies and kung cash, kaya ibaba up to 117k (yung 42PD9500TA kaya daw up to 90k ang difference lang daw is walang PiP tsaka motorised swivel ito), kaso nga lang 1024x1080 lang ang resolution, pero 1400nit naman at 10000:1 contrast ratio

- Samsung LE40F71, 40" LCD, full HD resolution, 140k, pero may free 20" LCD, so siguro kung wala lahat ng freebies at cash malaki pa ibababa, yun nga lang 500nit at 6000:1 ang contrast ratio

roelmc, i suggest you read somewhere in this thread about getting hitachi plasma....

http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=63765.140

warning lang from pdvd member who had bad xperience with their customer service...

good luck on your purchase!!

Offline roelmc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #212 on: May 21, 2007 at 03:18 PM »
alx,

Thanks! medyo natakot ako don sa Hitachi thread haha!

Offline dB10

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • DVD Addict
  • karma does not discriminate
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: May 21, 2007 at 08:31 PM »
and it's no urban legend, if you know what i mean :'(
"...be careful & ready what you wish for, it may come true"

Offline jvm

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #214 on: May 22, 2007 at 09:28 AM »
Gusto ko po bumili ng 42" up na plasma or LCD, budget is 150 to 200k.  Ok lang po kung 720p kung yon lang kasya sa budget or kung maganda talaga yung particular model.

After ko maglibot sa karamihan ng appliance stores sa Makati, ang napansin ko po eh makukuha na yung gusto kong tv sa 100k. Though yung mga 200k worth na mga lcds and plasmas medyo nakaka-tukso talaga.

Ito po ang mga nakita ko na medyo nakuha yung attention ko:

- Hitachi 42PD9800TA, 42" Plasma, sabi nung salesman, without the freebies and kung cash, kaya ibaba up to 117k (yung 42PD9500TA kaya daw up to 90k ang difference lang daw is walang PiP tsaka motorised swivel ito), kaso nga lang 1024x1080 lang ang resolution, pero 1400nit naman at 10000:1 contrast ratio

- Samsung LE40F71, 40" LCD, full HD resolution, 140k, pero may free 20" LCD, so siguro kung wala lahat ng freebies at cash malaki pa ibababa, yun nga lang 500nit at 6000:1 ang contrast ratio

Bale itong dalawa ang una kong titignan pero titignan ko pa rin yung ibang models. Dadalhin ko yung aking MG-350HD at magpaplay ng mga sample videos at titignan ko kung saan pinaka-ok na PQ.

Any other recommendations?

The Hate-achi's price that was quoted to you is the SRP, for cash you can still haggle. I was suppose to get the 9500 for 116K for 18 months. Somebody even got a quote of 95K for this model. But due to their very bad customer service, which have brought me so much frustration, I opted to switch to another brand. For your budget of up to 200K, look for the the new Pioneer which is around 180K, or the newer Panasonics.

Samsung has new full-HD LCD's, with better specs than the F-series, check them out. The 42-in are a bit above your 200K, but I believe you can still haggle if you can pay in cash.

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: May 22, 2007 at 09:31 PM »
The Hate-achi's price that was quoted to you is the SRP, for cash you can still haggle. I was suppose to get the 9500 for 116K for 18 months. Somebody even got a quote of 95K for this model. But due to their very bad customer service, which have brought me so much frustration, I opted to switch to another brand. For your budget of up to 200K, look for the the new Pioneer which is around 180K, or the newer Panasonics.

Samsung has new full-HD LCD's, with better specs than the F-series, check them out. The 42-in are a bit above your 200K, but I believe you can still haggle if you can pay in cash.

jvm,

the new Pioneer 8th gen is out already and priced at 180k? where did you see it?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007 at 09:33 PM by dB10 »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: May 22, 2007 at 09:41 PM »
jvm, the Pioneer 180k you were referring to is in what size?

Any specific shops that carrying this new item? :)

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: May 23, 2007 at 08:35 AM »
Sorry mga bro, I did not bother to check the specific model number. It was at Anson's ATC. It arrived when I was selecting the replacement for my former TV. That was last Wednesday, May16. The Pioneer rep there told me it was their newest model.

I'll try to find out the specific model later today.

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: May 23, 2007 at 11:17 AM »
... look for the the new Pioneer which is around 180K ...

jvm,

the new Pioneer 8th gen is out already and priced at 180k? where did you see it?

Sir jvm meant new model from Pioneer Philippines.

It's unlikely that it was the 8th Gen model.  The newest Pioneer Philippines model will not necessarily correspond to the newest Pioneer USA release.

If the new release were already 8th Gen, the sales rep would have proudly said so, considering that the Pioneer's Project Kuro reputedly has groundbreaking new technology that is a class above its closest competitor.

Besides, the website of Pioneer Singapore (distributor for Southeast Asian Region) still has the 7th Gen as its latest model.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007 at 12:15 PM by barrister »

Offline dB10

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #219 on: May 24, 2007 at 10:44 AM »
Sorry mga bro, I did not bother to check the specific model number. It was at Anson's ATC. It arrived when I was selecting the replacement for my former TV. That was last Wednesday, May16. The Pioneer rep there told me it was their newest model.

I'll try to find out the specific model later today.

jvm, any update on this pio model?

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2007 at 04:50 PM »
jvm, any update on this pio model?

Pioneer PDP42TXG

SRP = 199.9K

Cash = 145K at Anson's ATC

Offline bowler

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2007 at 10:40 AM »
I think it is the Pioneer PDP 427xg we are talking about as there is no such Pioneer model as the pdp 42txg. Old model Pioneer 436-sixth generation plasma 43 inches. 427-seventh generation plasma 42 inches. The new models is the 428-eight generation plasma 42 inches.

Offline jvm

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2007 at 12:31 PM »
I think it is the Pioneer PDP 427xg we are talking about as there is no such Pioneer model as the pdp 42txg. Old model Pioneer 436-sixth generation plasma 43 inches. 427-seventh generation plasma 42 inches. The new models is the 428-eight generation plasma 42 inches.

You're right. Pero PDP 427TXG.  Ganon din ang naka indicate dito sa brochure ng Western, 427TXG. Pero sa net PDP427XG lang.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2007 at 02:55 PM »
Shield Your LCD from Flying Wiimotes
Wed May 23, 2007 6:21AM EDT
fe55.news.re3.yahoo.com/blogs

It's good to see I'm not the only paranoid Wii gamer. One night, I had a dream where I accidentally ruined my Sony Bravia during a Wii Sports bowling tournament. I know, I need to stop reading Wii have a problem.

Regardless, people have done some pretty stupid things with the Wiimote, and I just can't help being a little paranoid about it. You knew it wasn't going to be long, before one company found a way to capitalize on our concerns.

Taiwanese TV maker LCDArm created an LCD safety shield to keep your TV intact. Gearlog says the acrylic cover fits 30-46 inch screens, and even protects your eyes from ultraviolet rays the TV may give off. The huge plastic guard doesn't have a frame and is 98 percent transparent, so it can stay on even when you're not playing. Pricing hasn't been disclosed yet, but the company says this guard is coming soon.

Has anyone had problems with broken TVs or Wii straps?

Three Year Old Smashes Plasma Screen In Wii-Rage Incident
By Charlie Sorrel May 25, 2007 | 5:17:07 AMCategories: Games 
blog.wired.com

Ok. I admit it, I was wrong when I trashed the Wii Safety Shield, although even that might not have been enough to save poor Brian McConnell's $2000 plasma TV when his son went freak-out crazy on it this week. Three and a half year old Adam was left playing Wii Tennis while his dad went to fetch him a drink.

The evidence points to the kid losing a game, and then the red mist came down. "I heard two big bangs," said Brian, "When I ran back in Adam was using the handset to smash the TV screen."

The 42" screen is a write off and will have to be replaced. Unlike his son, Brian managed to keep it together. "I thought about how I could explain to a three-and-a-half year old what he had done wrong. I ended up asking him how he'd feel if I broke his Spiderman"

Adam is banned from playing the Wii for two weeks. I fear for Spiderman in the meantime.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007 at 03:00 PM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2007 at 03:46 PM »
That's a nice innvention! You'll never know when an accident could strike. To avoid an expensive blunder this protection shield is indeed innovative.

Poor Adam is banned from playing the Wii for two weeks...if only the shield was available.  ;D

Offline gearhead

• DVD Addict
  • Resident Lurker!
  • Liked:
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2007 at 03:46 PM »
haha.... i was just at the glorietta activity center yesterday as part of my ongoing flat panel hunt. i was quite mesmerized by the awesome demo pics being displayed by the hitachi lcd's, both 32 and 37"s, and the whole time the hitachi rep/s keep knocking into my noggin the virtues of their lcd panel by constantly tapping/knocking the screen (quite hard if i might say).
harman kardon avr5550, wharfe 9.5/9.cs/9.dfs pioneer dv-600av

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2007 at 06:48 AM »
Shield Your LCD from Flying Wiimotes
Wed May 23, 2007 6:21AM EDT
fe55.news.re3.yahoo.com/blogs

It's good to see I'm not the only paranoid Wii gamer. One night, I had a dream where I accidentally ruined my Sony Bravia during a Wii Sports bowling tournament. I know, I need to stop reading Wii have a problem.

Regardless, people have done some pretty stupid things with the Wiimote, and I just can't help being a little paranoid about it. You knew it wasn't going to be long, before one company found a way to capitalize on our concerns.

Taiwanese TV maker LCDArm created an LCD safety shield to keep your TV intact. Gearlog says the acrylic cover fits 30-46 inch screens, and even protects your eyes from ultraviolet rays the TV may give off. The huge plastic guard doesn't have a frame and is 98 percent transparent, so it can stay on even when you're not playing. Pricing hasn't been disclosed yet, but the company says this guard is coming soon.

Has anyone had problems with broken TVs or Wii straps?

Three Year Old Smashes Plasma Screen In Wii-Rage Incident
By Charlie Sorrel May 25, 2007 | 5:17:07 AMCategories: Games 
blog.wired.com

Ok. I admit it, I was wrong when I trashed the Wii Safety Shield, although even that might not have been enough to save poor Brian McConnell's $2000 plasma TV when his son went freak-out crazy on it this week. Three and a half year old Adam was left playing Wii Tennis while his dad went to fetch him a drink.

The evidence points to the kid losing a game, and then the red mist came down. "I heard two big bangs," said Brian, "When I ran back in Adam was using the handset to smash the TV screen."

The 42" screen is a write off and will have to be replaced. Unlike his son, Brian managed to keep it together. "I thought about how I could explain to a three-and-a-half year old what he had done wrong. I ended up asking him how he'd feel if I broke his Spiderman"

Adam is banned from playing the Wii for two weeks. I fear for Spiderman in the meantime.

there's a guy in tipidpc.com that does this ACRYLIC LCD MONITORS.  His username is cham_e_lyon.  I ordered two pieces from him for my lcd monitors. (P500.00 each for a 20" wide pc monitor)  I had to give him the measurements through email and it cmae out perfectly.

voj

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #227 on: Jun 19, 2007 at 07:35 PM »

Samsung introduces 70inch full-HD LCD TV with local dimming technology
By Hyangseon Lee(ZDNet Korea)
June 18th, 2007       

Samsung Electronics introduced the largest (70 inch) commercially available full high-definition LCD TV in Korea. The new TV boasts Samsung’s very best image enhancement technologies and employs a light-emitting diode (LED) backlight instead of the conventional cold cathode fluorescent lamp (CCFL) version.

Moreover, Samsung's unique local dimming technology enables the LED backlight to be turned off in dark image areas, delivering a dynamic contrast ratio of 500,000:1. At the same time, power consumption is lowered by as much as fifty percent.

Meanwhile, Samsung's LED scanning eliminates the flicker and ghosting problems associated with large-screen LCD TVs.

"I am pleased to introduce the 70" Full-HD LCD TV with innovative Local Dimming Technology," said JongWoo Park, President of the Digital Media Business, Samsung Electronics. "Samsung will continue to strengthen its LCD TV leadership, enhancing Full-HD and large screen LCD TV line-up."

A high-gloss, "piano black" bezel and titanium chrome trim accentuate the elegance and sophistication of Samsung's new 70" full-HD LCD TV. The dual hidden speakers and rear woofer deliver the rich sound quality to match the larger-than-life on-screen images.

Samsung plans to put the product on sale worldwide in the second half of this year. Samsung is the largest LCD TV supplier in January-March this year with 17.4 percent share by revenue, according to DisplaySearch. 

Offline pchin

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: Jun 19, 2007 at 09:04 PM »
Phew awesome! But I wonder what's the SRP would be...   ;D

Offline Reymer

• Trade Count: (+144)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: Jun 19, 2007 at 10:03 PM »
Phew awesome! But I wonder what's the SRP would be...   ;D

Ive read its around US$65,000.  ;D ;D

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 12:26 PM »

50" Shootout: Samsung LCD vs Sharp LCD vs Panasonic Plasma vs Hitachi Plasma:

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/1127/v/3/sp/332470698888332326302

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #231 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 02:52 PM »

there's a guy in tipidpc.com that does this ACRYLIC LCD MONITORS.  His username is cham_e_lyon.  I ordered two pieces from him for my lcd monitors. (P500.00 each for a 20" wide pc monitor)  I had to give him the measurements through email and it cmae out perfectly.

voj

I also got one of this acrylic shields, Its good for computer monitors but it reflects anything in front of it. This negates one of the LCD properties I really like as compared to crts. The non-reflecting property of the LCD's is very useful and using acrylic cover will negatively affect its performace.

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: Jun 20, 2007 at 10:17 PM »
50" Shootout: Samsung LCD vs Sharp LCD vs Panasonic Plasma vs Hitachi Plasma:

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/1127/v/3/sp/332470698888332326302

If your really into video, Plasma na pana talaga no#1. Its been like that for 6yrs na, and they never stop improving their pics quality and performance. ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #233 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 09:40 AM »
I also got one of this acrylic shields, Its good for computer monitors but it reflects anything in front of it. This negates one of the LCD properties I really like as compared to crts. The non-reflecting property of the LCD's is very useful and using acrylic cover will negatively affect its performace.

puwede din kaya itong acrylic shields na ito for use sa plasma TV 42"? would want to place sana something like this to protect the glass from scratches  ;)

Initially I was really considering getting an LCD because of its non-reflecting property, I was surprised that with the Plasma I got hindi ganun ka grabe yung reflection  ;D The only thing I noticed is if  I use HDMI mayron mga 1/2" sa left side ng panel na black as well as an inch of black line mga 3" from the bottom left corner ng screen  ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2007 at 09:41 AM by vtec3 »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #234 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 10:12 AM »

Are the shields any good?   ???

They might trap the heat back into the plasma/LCD panels (ie. shouldn't the panels breath a bit?), when normally air would cool down the area.  I did notice the area gets hot/warm.

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 10:39 AM »
puwede din kaya itong acrylic shields na ito for use sa plasma TV 42"? would want to place sana something like this to protect the glass from scratches  ;)

Initially I was really considering getting an LCD because of its non-reflecting property, I was surprised that with the Plasma I got hindi ganun ka grabe yung reflection  ;D The only thing I noticed is if  I use HDMI mayron mga 1/2" sa left side ng panel na black as well as an inch of black line mga 3" from the bottom left corner ng screen  ??? ??? ???

I was talking with Jeff of Theaterworks yesterday and he said that there is a commercially available protective screen for LCD/Plasma TVs but it is more pricey than this DIY from tipidpc.  I haven't seen it, but the price (considering your investment) is I think worth it.

voj

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 11:07 AM »
thanks for the info! will visit theaterworks this weekend.

funny thing is three times ko na siya try puntahan diko pa rin ito makita. last i tried was monday. sabi sa akin nung Concierge sa 2nd floor use the escalator then turn left then first corner right, narating ko na ang Toys r Us diko nakita theaterworks  ;D

Offline ricky

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Duh?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #237 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 11:18 AM »

funny thing is three times ko na siya try puntahan diko pa rin ito makita. last i tried was monday. sabi sa akin nung Concierge sa 2nd floor use the escalator then turn left then first corner right, narating ko na ang Toys r Us diko nakita theaterworks  ;D

Bro when Toys r Us is already on your left side just go straight and  turn right at the last corridor before the exit and just continue walking up to the other end. You'll pass by lacoste and mac stores on your right side while walking :)

Offline vtec3

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 01:10 PM »
thanks very much Sir Ricky! pretty sure the next time i go makikita ko na ito  ;) My only worry is baka ma temp ako bumili ulit  ;)

Offline voj

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: Jun 21, 2007 at 01:15 PM »

use the mindanao parking area, park on the third level. sa entrance, it's the 2nd or third store on your left.  trinoma is one big maze  >:( ;D