Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 270418 times)

Offline DaSilva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #390 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 10:04 AM »
In the pioneer plasma thread (click here), pioneer's russ johnston makes a neat simplification of display choices:

42 inches and below: lcd
42 inches to 70 inches: plasma
above 70 inches: projector

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #391 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM »

Does this mean that plasma and LCD are the same when screen size is exactly 42 inches?
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008 at 11:07 AM by barrister »

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #392 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 11:13 AM »
Good que barrister. So for size 42" is it considered "neutral" i.e. it's up to the buyer's preference? :)

Personally, guess I'd still go for Plasma. ;D

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #393 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM »
Does this mean that plasma and LCD are the same when screen size is exactly 42 inches?

Yes sir, same size sila.
I'm a seller and a user of both units, but for me plasma pa din. ;)

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #394 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 12:05 PM »

Nope.  It means that's all Pioneer can do and offer (plasma size 42 to 60).   ;D ;D ;D

How can you choose plasma for anything below 32V if its not available in the first place?  and it was only recent that 32V plasmas became available.

Why would you choose a Plasma bigger than 70 if it costs like 50x an excellent projector????   ;D ;D ;D

The pictures look diferent for whatever common size they have.  For high def contents, it is very subjective to choose the better picture.  Cant deny the fact the LCD tends to give the sharper perceived image regardless of color inaccuracy.  For SD, both sucks but Plasma sucks less.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008 at 12:06 PM by Clondalkin »

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #395 on: Mar 11, 2008 at 12:21 PM »
Good que barrister. So for size 42" is it considered "neutral" i.e. it's up to the buyer's preference? :)
Personally, guess I'd still go for Plasma. ;D

I'm a seller and a user of both units, but for me plasma pa din. ;)

agree with both gentlemen.

and that's how my own choices have played out...i have 32 inch lcd, 42 inch plasma, and pj projecting to >100 inches.

Offline digipic

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #396 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 06:00 AM »

hi, quick question mga sirs.  if I plan to use a flat panel for both tv viewing and computer viewing,  recommended pa din ba plasma particularly yun popular na panasonic 42" dito

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #397 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 11:38 AM »
For computer viewing, LCD is recommended.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #398 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 12:02 PM »
Nope.  It means that's all Pioneer can do and offer (plasma size 42 to 60).   ;D ;D ;D

No, that's not what I meant. 

I was actually pointing out that sir DaSilva misread Russ Johnston's statement.

========================================================

Sir DaSilva stated:

In the pioneer plasma thread (click here), pioneer's russ johnston makes a neat simplification of display choices:

above 70 inches: projector

That's not what the linked quote says:

Plasma has gone down in market share relative to LCD, and that trend is continuing — and it's had something to do with this decision. Can you speculate on the reason why plasma is declining relative to LCD?

We're not in the TV business; we're in the home theater market space. That's from 50 inches to as big as 70 inches. Plasma dominates that size range. Obviously, LCD is suited for 42 inches and below. We can show you how it performs in our size space, and what our extreme difference is. When you get above 70 inches, it's probably projectors that are better for that [viewing] environment.

Johnston said:

LCD    =  42" & below;
Plasma =  50" to 70".

Johnston did not say plasma for 42" to 70"; otherwise, that would have left an intersection between LCD and plasma for the the 42" size.

To call attention to sir DaSilva's misreading, I asked:

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2008 at 01:51 PM by barrister »

Offline DaSilva

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #399 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 12:30 PM »
you're correct, barrister, thanks for pointing it out. good job.

at any rate, even johnston's take would be an opinion. to each his own. cheers.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008 at 12:32 PM by DaSilva »

Offline digipic

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #400 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 04:43 PM »
For computer viewing, LCD is recommended.

ok sir thank you very much.

Offline southice

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #401 on: Mar 16, 2008 at 07:18 PM »
whats the usual lifespan of plasma vs lcd? and in terms of power consumption which is cheaper?
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2008 at 07:19 PM by southice »

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #402 on: Mar 17, 2008 at 08:30 AM »
Not sure what the concern is on power consumption..when you buy a "BMW" you don't worry about gasoline prices.

However...

Excerpt from  http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

On lifespan:

LCD television manufacturers claim that their displays last, on average, 50,000 to 65,000 hours. In fact, an LCD TV will last as long as its backlight does - and those bulbs can sometimes be replaced! Since this is nothing more than light passing through a prismatic substrate, there is essentially nothing to wear out in an LCD monitor. However, one nasty little known fact about LCD technology is that as the backlight ages it can change colors slightly (think of florescent office lighting). When this occurs the white balance of the entire LCD TV will be thrown for a loop and the user will need to re-calibrate, or worse, try to replace the backlighting or ditch the unit altogether. Some of the early purchasers of larger LCD screens will be learning this tidbit in a couple of years. One thing that I've found in this industry, it is not easy to find out whether the backlighting on LCDs can be replaced. Manufacturers are either hesitant to discuss the topic, or they just don't know.

Plasma, on the other hand, utilizes slight electric currents to excite a combination of noble gases (i.e., argon, neon, xenon), which glow red, blue, and/or green. This is an essentially active phenomenon, so the phosphoric elements in plasma displays fade over time. Many manufacturers state a new half life of 60,000 hours. While I am skeptical of this spec, I do believe strides have been made to nearly even the playing field with LCD. At half life, the phosphors in a plasma screen will glow half as brightly as they did when the set was new. There is no way to replace these gases; the display simply continues to grow dimmer with use.
ADVANTAGE: Even, depending upon manufacturer quality.

On Power:

Because LCDs use florescent backlighting to produce images, they require substantially less power to operate than plasmas do. LCD TVs consume about half the power that plasma displays consume. The reason: Plasmas use a lot of electricity to light each and every pixel you see on a screen - even the dark ones. Though plasma manufacturers have improved voltage consumption requirements a plasma TV will consume around a third more power for the same size display.

ADVANTAGE: LCD

whats the usual lifespan of plasma vs lcd? and in terms of power consumption which is cheaper?

Offline Clondalkin

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Tea the gift of life...
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 08:26 AM »
hi, quick question mga sirs.  if I plan to use a flat panel for both tv viewing and computer viewing,  recommended pa din ba plasma particularly yun popular na panasonic 42" dito

I would think of it this way.  If I'm going to spend a good amount of money for a large flat panel whether it be plasma or LCD type, I would use it any way I want to right now without much concern of the consequences.  Why would I want to keep my TV for 60,000 hours (that's more than 13.5 years assuming I use the TV for 12 hours per day) if 5-8 years down the road, these current gen panels would be very very badly outdated (and most likely, I'd be itching to get a new one again anyways).

So would I recommend that popular PV70 for TV and computing?   It won't be that bad unless you intend to sit within 1 meter away from it as you usually would when using a regular sized PC monitor.   But then would you be actually sitting within 1 meter from a 42 inch panel for long hours even in the case of native full HD types?   2-3 meters away, these popular big sized panels should be OK for computing with wireless keyboard and mouse.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2008 at 08:32 AM by Clondalkin »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #404 on: Mar 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM »
I would think of it this way.  If I'm going to spend a good amount of money for a large flat panel whether it be plasma or LCD type, I would use it any way I want to right now without much concern of the consequences.  Why would I want to keep my TV for 60,000 hours (that's more than 13.5 years assuming I use the TV for 12 hours per day) if 5-8 years down the road, these current gen panels would be very very badly outdated (and most likely, I'd be itching to get a new one again anyways).

I keep reminding my sister about this regarding her plasma. Its so funny that she has another crt TV in the room for cable viewing cuz of what she heard about the plasma's lifespan. I gave her the math 60k hrs/8hrs a day= 28 years. She still doesnt grasp it.  :D
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2008 at 12:09 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #405 on: Mar 19, 2008 at 01:16 AM »

So would I recommend that popular PV70 for TV and computing?   It won't be that bad unless you intend to sit within 1 meter away from it as you usually would when using a regular sized PC monitor.   But then would you be actually sitting within 1 meter from a 42 inch panel for long hours even in the case of native full HD types?   2-3 meters away, these popular big sized panels should be OK for computing with wireless keyboard and mouse.

Amen to that brother! ;) well said. 8)

Offline highwayman

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #406 on: Mar 27, 2008 at 01:06 PM »
quick question on plasma units...

i got a 50" pv70 for the family room and was thinking of moving my old plasma to the bedroom, now, what i usually do in the bedroom is to turn on the tv everytime im there; eventhough im not watching, the tv is on (dressing-up, showering, or some light reading) anyway, my question is: would this be ok for the plasma?

the reason i ask is that a freind of mine told me that i can't treat my plasma as i would a normal CRT or LCD tv (turn on for 30mins, turn off to eat or go out, then turn on again once im back in the bedroom). ( i don't really got the reason why) just wanted to know your opinion on this...

thanks

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Panasonic Plasma vs Philips LCD?
« Reply #407 on: Apr 06, 2008 at 04:09 PM »
I've been inspecting the panasonic vierra 42PV70 last year becoz its price was somehow quite reasonable. Picture quality is good compare to other brands like pioneer o hitachi. It evens out perform other lcd brands. The only reason i backed out on the PV70 is becoz plasma tvs power consumption is quite high almost double that of the lcds plus u can really feel the heat coming from the screen. I settled for a SONY BRAVIA KLV40V300A instead becoz only SONY offers a complete system that sync its LCD and HOMETHEATER SYSTEM at a good price. Also I was able to manipulate the price of the BRAVIA that fiits into my budget of below 90K.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: May 10, 2008 at 08:11 PM »
Some good news for Plasma...

Plasma's success is no "comeback"

It comes as news to us that plasma was "given up for dead less than a year ago," as the linked article says. But we won't complain about the success that PDPs are enjoying lately and the excitement that continues to be generated by the displays. It's obvious that LCDs have taken over as synonymous with FPD to most consumers, but there are a couple of things that play to plasma's strengths. First, the increasing demand for LCDs has created a supply shortage that PDPs are happy to fill. Second, and more exciting to us, is the movement of PDPs to the high end, premium market. It's a good time to be a plasma-aware HD-nut!

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/12/plasmas-success-is-no-comeback/
Q1 2008 plasma shipments up 56% from a year ago

It's no surprise to see that the LCD sector is doing quite well; plasmas, on the other hand, have certainly been on the downward trend. According to new data from Displaybank, shipments of PDP modules managed to slide 15-percent during Q1 2008 compared to the always high Q4 of last year (you know, those holidays tend to do that), but the intriguing stat is the year-over-year: it's up 56-percent. For what it's worth, pricing for plasma panels is on the skids as well, and while the 40-inch segment accounted for just over half of all shipments, the 50-inchers claimed another 25-percent. In case you haven't noticed, quite a bit of shaking up has gone on in the plasma industry here recently, and while LG Electronics took back over the lead in Q1, anything is fair game from here on out.

Plasma manufacturers relish uptick in demand from China

We already heard that flat-panel demand in China was seeing a fairly substantial spike, and apparently, a number of plasma manufacturers are champing at the bit to turn around the currently poor performing segment of their portfolios by giving the Chinese something they suddenly crave. Reportedly, both Samsung and LG have "increased PDP production" in the lead-up to the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games and Euro 2008. Additionally, Hitachi is busting out some confetti of its own, as it will purportedly sell some "30-percent of plasma panels it plans to produce in the year to March 2009 [to] Chinese television manufacturers." Also of note, it's being reported that the outfit "may consider withdrawing from Australia and focusing on developing and making products for key markets such as Japan, North America and Asia," but we've seen nothing official either

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2008 at 01:56 AM »
Sirs,

I'd just like to ask if LCD TV's require break-in period as what I've beern hearing with plasma TV's.  I'm planning to buy a flat panel (between 37-inch to 42-inch) soon.  I would consider it as an advantage for LCD's if it does not require the break-in period.
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #410 on: May 12, 2008 at 01:00 PM »
Sirs,

I'd just like to ask if LCD TV's require break-in period as what I've beern hearing with plasma TV's.  I'm planning to buy a flat panel (between 37-inch to 42-inch) soon.  I would consider it as an advantage for LCD's if it does not require the break-in period.

The plasma TV uses phosphor gases to generate image. "Burn-in," or image retention is the result of an uneven aging of the phosphor which occurs when bright, static images are left onscreen for an extended period of time. This is the reason why break-in is necessary to condition or 'tweaked' the phosphor to become not too intense in display.

In the case of LCD TV, since it is not using phosphor to generate image, it needs no break-in.

By the way, the LCD panel cannot produce picture without the work of the back light that projects the LCD screen.

Offline Funktopuss

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: May 12, 2008 at 07:49 PM »
thanks for the info, so how long does it take to break in?

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: May 13, 2008 at 11:22 AM »
thanks for the info, so how long does it take to break in?

You need 100 hours to break in plasma TV. Follow the link for break-in instruction: http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PlasmaFAQ?storeId=15001&catalogId=13401&langId=-1&catGroupId=24973#tv1

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: May 23, 2008 at 08:17 AM »

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: May 23, 2008 at 08:50 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it.  The author doesn't know what he's talking about.

Notice the following:

"120Hz motionflow technology, provided by LCDs, has become all the rage recently.  Motionflow provides a smoother, more fluid picture than all previous technologies.  And not too long ago Samsung introduced a prototype of 240Hz motionflow."

To say that "motionflow technology" has become all the rage is really stretching it.  Most video enthusiasts don't even know what the hell is.  And I'm talking about enthusiasts, not ordinary consumers.

It's not called "motionflow technology"; the proper term is motion interpolation.  "MotionFlow"  is a trademark of Sony.

Here's how the different manufacturers call their proprietary motion interpolation techs:

Sony - MotionFlow 120 Hz
Samsung - Auto Motion Plus 120 Hz
Philips - HD Digital Natural Motion
Hitachi - Reel120
Vizio - MEMC (Motion Estimation, Motion Compensation)

"And not too long ago Samsung introduced a prototype of 240Hz motionflow."

Samsung introduced a prototype "240 Hz AMP" (Auto Motion Plus), but it would never introduce a "240Hz MotionFlow"  :D.

I wouldn't pay much attention to an author who's that dumb  :D.

I've seen a Philips HD Digital Natural Motion LCD on display in an appliance store.  It really does eliminate judder.  It looks good on their own video material.  On movies, motion is also smooth, but the motion looks obviously unnatural.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2008 at 09:31 AM by barrister »

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: May 23, 2008 at 10:54 AM »
guys anu mas ok na cable reception sa dream , plasma or lcd?
He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #416 on: May 23, 2008 at 11:26 AM »
guys anu mas ok na cable reception sa dream , plasma or lcd?

in my experience, sa cable TV sa amin, pag LCD, nagpipixelized sa cable TV viewing.  Sa Plasma hindi.  ;)

Offline sanmig_ph

• DVD Guru
  • Sarap Magbago....
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: May 23, 2008 at 11:37 AM »
in my experience, sa cable TV sa amin, pag LCD, nagpipixelized sa cable TV viewing.  Sa Plasma hindi.  ;)

ok thanks pare, kasi nakita ko yung cable reception sa tropa ko using samsung lcd ok din.
kailangan lang siguro i tweak yung settings ng panny42pv70.

pa share naman po ng settings using dream cable sa 42pv70.

mas ok pa din yung direct cable kasi yung sa dream gumagamit pa ng decoder trough rca cable
kaya siguro hindi ganun kaganda compared sa direct like skycable.

He always provides!  and He always does when you least expect it!

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: May 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM »
Funny article about TV shopping:

HDTV or Not HDTV: That is the (Big) Question
When buying a television takes weeks of research
By G. D. Maxwell
Published 2008-05-22 09:41:04

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php?content=Buying+hdtv+1521

Offline GioSpike

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • "It's showtime!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: May 27, 2008 at 03:59 PM »
Plasma for HTPC

@Panasonic 42PV70 / LG 32" Plasma TV owners
Sana meron ng magpost sa inyo ng macro shot pictures ng itsura ng texts at whole webpage sa Plasma display para macompare natin for HTPC use lalo na dun sa Plasma units na mababa ng native resolution.

Convinced ako na the best talaga ang Plasma for videos at SDTV cable viewing, pero curious talaga ako lalo na  sa 32" LG Plasma na 852 x 480 lang ang native resolution at yung Panasonic 42PV70 na 1024 x 768 lang ang resolution vs. a regular LCDTV na 1360 x 768 for HTPC display. Same din ba desktop area or mas konti?  Malinaw rin ba for HTPC lalo na sa texts yung Panasonic 42PV70 kahit hindi 1:1 pixel mapping/aspect ratio nya (1:1.33)?

Pixel Mapping Explained: http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Pixel+mapping+explained

I hope somebody could explain for the benefit of others who are also interested on getting a Plasma for HTPC display.

Thanks in advance! =)