Author Topic: Plasma vs LCD ?  (Read 270411 times)

Offline TonyC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Plasma vs LCD ?
« Reply #420 on: May 27, 2008 at 04:44 PM »
Plasma for HTPC

@Panasonic 42PV70 / LG 32" Plasma TV owners
Sana meron ng magpost sa inyo ng macro shot pictures ng itsura ng texts at whole webpage sa Plasma display para macompare natin for HTPC use lalo na dun sa Plasma units na mababa ng native resolution.

Convinced ako na the best talaga ang Plasma for videos at SDTV cable viewing, pero curious talaga ako lalo na  sa 32" LG Plasma na 852 x 480 lang ang native resolution at yung Panasonic 42PV70 na 1024 x 768 lang ang resolution vs. a regular LCDTV na 1360 x 768 for HTPC display. Same din ba desktop area or mas konti?  Malinaw rin ba for HTPC lalo na sa texts yung Panasonic 42PV70 kahit hindi 1:1 pixel mapping/aspect ratio nya (1:1.33)?

Pixel Mapping Explained: http://pixelmapping.wikispaces.com/Pixel+mapping+explained

I hope somebody could explain for the benefit of others who are also interested on getting a Plasma for HTPC display.

Thanks in advance! =)

Me too, kinda perplexed how the LG manages to look better compared with the higher specs of the LCD? ???

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #421 on: May 27, 2008 at 08:07 PM »
From the various posts I see here, more people recommend LCD TVs for those who will also use their TVs for gaming. Why is this so? What makes LCDs a better display for games? And can't plasmas do the same thing?

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #422 on: May 27, 2008 at 08:37 PM »
From the various posts I see here, more people recommend LCD TVs for those who will also use their TVs for gaming. Why is this so? What makes LCDs a better display for games? And can't plasmas do the same thing?
Plasmas can do the same thing for gaming and more.   

Ive been using a Hitachi Plasma in gaming for PS3 (warhawk, nba 2k8, GTA IV) and no permanent burn-in whatsoever.   There is image retention, but it washes out when the scene changes.   Less eyestrain pa.. ;)

Offline ericag_ph

• DVD Addict
  • Oompa Loompas rule!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #423 on: May 28, 2008 at 07:34 AM »
probably because some games are 4:3 format...therefore if you play games a lot on a plasma that is 16:9...there's a risk of burn-in due to the black bars on the left and right.

I've seen burn-in in a hitachi plasma in a store playing a wide format movie (likely playing the same demo movie 8 hrs a day, 7 days a week).  There were black bars at top and bottom due to the extreme wide format, so when I asked the sales guy to display a totally white image, sure enough, you could see the darkened (grayish) bars at the top and bottom of the screen where the black bars used to be....

so same logic can apply to 4:3 games playing on a 16:9 plasma screen.

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #424 on: May 28, 2008 at 07:53 AM »
I have been playing 4:3 material (including cable TV) on my Hitachi Plasma.   Just adjust the aspect ratio option, and you wont get the black bars on the sides.  Again, with newer PLasma models, permanent burn-in is not an issue anymore.   

Offline ninjababez®

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I know what poverty is.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1040
« Reply #425 on: May 28, 2008 at 10:47 PM »
I have been playing 4:3 material (including cable TV) on my Hitachi Plasma.   Just adjust the aspect ratio option, and you wont get the black bars on the sides.  Again, with newer PLasma models, permanent burn-in is not an issue anymore.   

yup image retention nalang .. that easily disappears as soon as you change channels or remove the static image that is playing ..
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008 at 10:48 PM by ninjababez »
ninjababez online ..

Offline alvinh

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Enjoy your gears. Have fun in your journey.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #426 on: May 29, 2008 at 12:43 AM »
Hello everyone.
I just joined this hub today hoping to get some answers regarding the never ending research about which is better of the two displays.
I plan to use this for movie viewing only in a medium lit room. I don't like the reflection/glare on plasma screens.

Should I then get an LCD?

I am looking into buying the 46C3000 but I also found a 50" Panasonic Plasma at Listening in Style...almost at the same price.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #427 on: May 29, 2008 at 03:09 AM »
LCD is the one for you.

In a brighter room, LCD will be glare-free and will have better contrast than a plasma.

Plasma will have a more film-like picture quality, but only if viewed in a darker room.

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #428 on: May 29, 2008 at 10:00 AM »
Thanks barrister.
I think I'll go for the LCD as you suggested.
Am I sacrificing video quality just because I'm not too thrilled about the glare on plasma?
Learn the technology but also learn to trust your ears and eyes...and enjoy the journey.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #429 on: May 29, 2008 at 10:16 AM »
Yes, video quality is better on a plasma.

I assumed that you're not too serious about picture quality because you don't mind watching in a bright or semi-bright room.

It's not just the glare, it's the ambient light that ruins the picture.  Even if you had a plasma with a 100% glare-free screen, ambient light will still affect its black levels and color accuracy.

I watch my news and cable channels on a 14" CRT TV in a bright room.  The program material does not require my concentration anyway --- it's just running in the background of whatever I'm doing.

But when I watch a DVD, the movie has my undivided attention.  It's easier to do that in a dark room, where distractions are minimal.

And when you're in a dark room, not only is the plasma's picture quality better than LCD; the plasma's reflective surface also becomes a non-issue.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008 at 02:25 PM by barrister »

Offline E-reply

• Trade Count: (+248)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Mobile: 0917-5413491
  • Liked:
« Reply #430 on: May 29, 2008 at 12:25 PM »
Hello everyone.
I just joined this hub today hoping to get some answers regarding the never ending research about which is better of the two displays.
I plan to use this for movie viewing only in a medium lit room. I don't like the reflection/glare on plasma screens.

I am looking into buying the 46C3000 but I also found a 50" Panasonic Plasma at Listening in Style...almost at the same price.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Sent you pm.

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #431 on: May 29, 2008 at 01:49 PM »
Hello everyone.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

If i were you sir, i'll go for plasma. night and day ang difference lalo na SD signals lang naman tayo.
88k panasonic 50pv70 - w/panasonic hdmi cable free 1.3 version. ;)

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #432 on: May 29, 2008 at 04:08 PM »
Hitachi Ultra Thin LCD TV: Less than 1.5 inches thick.

Hitachi's 1.5 UltraThin LCD HDTVs now available in US
by Darren Murph, posted May 1st 2008 at 6:54PM
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/05/01/hitachis-1-5-ultrathin-lcd-hdtvs-now-available-in-us/

Hitachi UT32MH40U review:

http://www.techradar.com/products/audio-visual/tvs-and-accessories/tvs/hitachi-ut32mh40u-368400/review
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008 at 04:09 PM by barrister »

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #433 on: May 29, 2008 at 04:27 PM »
Thanks to you all.
I currently use a projector and would normally watch movies in the evenings...tv in the bedroom...two 22" samsung lcds for my office at home. So i kind of have an idea on video quality. Though I am not that picky...yet.

With the rise of blue rays, I decided to go HD now and well, try out blue ray tech.
I will place the "display" in the same room where I have my projector. It will be what i would use when i do watch movies during the daytime. This is the original plan anyway.

This room has windows with thick curtains. At night, its not a problem at all. It's during daytime, when the light escapes thru the sides of the curtains that will most likely reflect on the plasma screen. Same problem i have with the TV in the bedroom.

But you know what...I think you guys make a lot of sense. Maybe i should just stick to watching movies at night and go for the plasma. Hehe.
I will probably get a little irritated on a few ocassions when I do watch during the daytime but it will be compensated by better video quality...

You guys agree? Or is there still hope for me to consider LCD? Plasma seems to be the choice here by almost everyone.

Offline raptor

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Manila Tifosi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 593
« Reply #434 on: May 29, 2008 at 06:21 PM »
Thanks to you all.
I currently use a projector and would normally watch movies in the evenings...tv in the bedroom...two 22" samsung lcds for my office at home. So i kind of have an idea on video quality. Though I am not that picky...yet.

With the rise of blue rays, I decided to go HD now and well, try out blue ray tech.
I will place the "display" in the same room where I have my projector. It will be what i would use when i do watch movies during the daytime. This is the original plan anyway.

This room has windows with thick curtains. At night, its not a problem at all. It's during daytime, when the light escapes thru the sides of the curtains that will most likely reflect on the plasma screen. Same problem i have with the TV in the bedroom.

But you know what...I think you guys make a lot of sense. Maybe i should just stick to watching movies at night and go for the plasma. Hehe.
I will probably get a little irritated on a few ocassions when I do watch during the daytime but it will be compensated by better video quality...

You guys agree? Or is there still hope for me to consider LCD? Plasma seems to be the choice here by almost everyone.

Hi Alvinh,

I'm on the same predicament as you ... a few weeks back i was ready to jump on the plasma bandwagon (particularly the famous pana 42pv70) ... now, i'm back again to thinking of getting an LCD (particularly the toshiba 37 or 42-inch c3500 series) ... here are my thoughts, and i would welcome any opinion/comments/suggestions from the experts on this forum -

Reasons for considering LCD and/or Toshiba LCDC3500 -

1. I do not like the 100-hour burn-in process for plasma, I find it silly to buy a new toy and not to be able to fully play with it or maximize the potential... by the time na matapos yung burn-in wala na yung excitement na bago yung unit ko ... this happened to me recently, i purchased a set of Dali speakers to replace my old units - I followed the recommended burn-in process strictly, by the time na natapos yung burn-in parang wala na yung excitement ... normally kasi you get very excited with your new gadgets on the first few weeks, after that it becomes one of your regular items na
2. The unit will be installed in our living room, and we watch tv programs all the time especially during weekend.  Due to brighter room lighting at day time, the reflectiveness of the plasma screen may be an issue at daytime.  I've seen how refelective the screen of the 42pv70 when I recently visited S&S.
3. I'm planning to connect an HTPC primarily for viewing ripped movies, and possibly a little percentage of browsing and using Skype.  The LCD is expected to better perform than the plasma for this requirement - based on paper due to resolution, although i haven't personally  tested it yet
4. I auditioned the Toshiba C3500 side by side with hitachi LCD, samsung LCD, and the pana 42pv70 ... I find the PQ very satisfactory ... Personally I could not discern the difference on the picture quality between the different brands of LCD ... it's true that the Pana plasma produces better blacks, but I find the LCD's producing more details ... I would say that that I'm ok with either technology if PQ is the issue.
5. If price point is to be considered, I would say that the Toshiba 37c3500 hits the sweetspot ... price is considerably lower than LCD's of the same size, and much lower than the LCD's and plasma's with 42-inch size ...and price is close to most other brands 32-inch LCD's

Reasons for considering Pana 42pv70

1. Although I mentioned that I'm already more than satisfied with the PQ of the LCD's, the plasma obviously is still a notch higher when it comes to dvd or hidef movies
2. The hard glass panel of the plasma is an advantage for me, since it is similar to crt's.  Frankly speaking I find it hard to clean LCD's because of the seemingly fragile texture .... both on my current laptops and desktop LCD monitor
3. They say that plasma is better for regular tv program viewing ... this would be a plus, since more than 50% of the time, we will be using it for regular tv viewing ... i've read a lot of negative feedback regarding tv viewing on LCD, but I have yet to see it ... i've been using a 22-inch Samsung LCD on my home PC with TV tuner - the quality is at par or sometimes even better when viewing tv on the 22-inch LCD compared to my 29-inch JVC flat crt (is it because the 22-inch Samsung LCD PC monitor has higher resolution compared to the big LCD tv's or it's just a myth that LCD tv's offers poor quality in tv viewing???)
4. The pana 42pv70 hits the pricepoint sweetspot in the 42-inch size ... same price or lower than similar technology and LCD's with the same size, and almost same price as most 37-inch LCD tv's

These are just my opinions and observation ... hope to get feedback from the experts to firm up my decision ... i'm targetting to buy my flat panel around june 15  :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008 at 06:29 PM by raptor »
Marantz NR1200, MartinLogan Motion 20 digital audio setup, and Sony A80J

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #435 on: May 29, 2008 at 06:52 PM »

My plasma is directly facing my bedroom window and to me it is tolerable naman even if i watch during daytime ;)

Offline Nemesis91

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #436 on: May 29, 2008 at 07:09 PM »
Hitachi Ultra Thin LCD TV: Less than 1.5 inches thick.

Hitachi's 1.5 UltraThin LCD HDTVs now available in US
by Darren Murph, posted May 1st 2008 at 6:54PM
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/05/01/hitachis-1-5-ultrathin-lcd-hdtvs-now-available-in-us/

Hitachi UT32MH40U review:

http://www.techradar.com/products/audio-visual/tvs-and-accessories/tvs/hitachi-ut32mh40u-368400/review

Meron na din ito sa Hk saw it last week. ;)

Offline JAQY888

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • It's a bright new world ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #437 on: May 29, 2008 at 07:13 PM »
wow  :o :o :o
panipis ng panipis na LCDs a. Great looking panel. Problem solved for those with space constraints  :D
50pv70;AX200E
NR-808;TX-8555;EX442;SuV85a
Dali-Ikon7;Paradigm-11;SVS-PB12+;B&W
RegaP3;OPPO;CDT15

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #438 on: May 29, 2008 at 10:21 PM »
Thanks vtec3. I'm almost sold on getting a plasma. 99% ??? I'll take your word for it...tolerable ha? I guess that's true in a way. I've had my 36" tv in my bedroom, close to a window for years and I haven't moved it yet.

You know what raptor...i guess we can just look at the bright side. Your concern ( maybe it will be my concern too very soon ) about the plasma burn-in duration is a good problem to have. Most people can't even afford to have this kind of problem.  :)
We can just speed up the process by having someone watch a lot of movies for us.
How important is this burn-in anyway? Is it like heaven and earth of a difference?
I could imagine, well, hear...the difference when it comes to speakers.

If we can't sacrifice a little difference in video quality, perhaps we can adjust our viewing schedule. Watch "so-so" programs during the daytime..weekends for me...and your favorite hidef hits ( I'm yet to buy my first blue ray player and disc ) during the evening. Not hard to do at all. Probably even more ideal this way.

I use samsung 2232GW Syncmaster and 226BW for my desktops for cable viewing while doing take home work ( using a kworld external tv tuner ) and the PQ is good enough since i do not use the full screen anyway. These two LCDs have different screen panels so I know what you mean by the hassle of cleaning the matte LCD vs the glass. I just use one of those toy like feather dusters and not let anyone touch the screen. hehe.

Let me know what you plan to get. Maybe we can go in at SS at the same time and get a better deal from Vic?
I plan to get the plasma, or the LCD...around the same time ( if not earlier )...this coming June.

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #439 on: May 29, 2008 at 10:45 PM »
@raptor
di naman sobra yung glare nung plasma .. mas maganda nga lang pag madilim .. pero that doesnt mean pangit sya sa maliwanag ..
nakita ko na magperform yung pana pv70 and yung gamit ko ngayon na lg 32" plasma .. ok naman sya maski may sinag ng araw .. although di direct sa tv yung light .. ang napapansin ko lang na may glare is yung glossy finish ng frame but not the display itself.. hope this helps ..
btw pati sa panasonic lx77 ko na lcdtv may glare yung frame but not the display or panel itself.. :D
ninjababez online ..

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #440 on: May 30, 2008 at 01:09 AM »
Ok. So what's a reasonably priced plasma available locally? 50"
I'm in this mode to switch to HD. Need plasma and bluray player.
50pv70 pana as nemesis suggested?

Offline ninjababez®

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #441 on: May 30, 2008 at 01:23 AM »
Ok. So what's a reasonably priced plasma available locally? 50"
I'm in this mode to switch to HD. Need plasma and bluray player.
50pv70 pana as nemesis suggested?

yup ..
ninjababez online ..

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #442 on: May 30, 2008 at 04:41 AM »
with standard definition plasma looks better but once we go full hd definitely the lcd will stand out lalo na if the lcd's resolution is full hd. Size is also an issue coz if you want to get 50" above then go for plasma 40" below its lcd though u'll still de disappointed w/ our local broadcastingsince analog pa so you still cant take full use of the full hd resolution of lcds nowadays.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #443 on: May 30, 2008 at 06:50 AM »
with standard definition plasma looks better but once we go full hd definitely the lcd will stand out lalo na if the lcd's resolution is full hd.

Sir, meron rin Full HD ang Plasma, not only in LCD.   

Maybe thats the better comparison, FULL HD Plasma vs FULL HD LCD.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008 at 06:52 AM by Munskie »

Offline steelcrazy

• Trade Count: (+112)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm the Love Guru.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #444 on: May 30, 2008 at 06:56 AM »

I agree but perhaps we should also involve the size plus the brands for a perfect comparison.
Gee yoU aRe yoU!

Offline alvinh

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #445 on: May 30, 2008 at 09:21 AM »
When do you think HD broadcasts will be available here? That's a factor we will have to consider now talaga? Full HD will not really matter at this point unless HD broadcasts become available soon. And I mean, within the next year or two. With the constant upgrades in technology, you'll probably end up getting a newer display when HD channels become accessible here. Maybe.

So, if I just want to get a "nicer" video quality ( i know that "nicer" is very subjective ) because I'm switching to collecting blurays from this point going forward ( but still buy dvds because of the price difference )...plasma is still ideal? panasonic 50pv70 pa rin ang worth every peso?

thanks again for all your input.

Offline momay

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #446 on: May 30, 2008 at 09:46 AM »
i also have a question. if in case the networks here in the country decided to go HD broadcasting, will the analog signals they transmit be sufficient/efficient enough to relay HD signals.

as i see it, digital broadcating will be much suitable for HD content signals. because here in japan HD content is transmitted through broadcast satellites, not through analog signal. so they have to have a satellite receiver and subscription to be able to receive this HD broadcasts.

here in japan digital broadcasting will start in year 2011 same i think in the US. i think for Philippine networks, we will still have to be contented with analogue SD signal broadcasts, unless of course they are mandated by NTC to switch to digital broadcasting.

Offline barrister

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #447 on: May 30, 2008 at 01:15 PM »

The results will not be surprising.

Samsung LCD 1080p with LED backlight vs. Pioneer plasma 1080p:

Best Plasma Ever vs. Best LCD Ever
(Verdict: Plasma Wins)

http://gizmodo.com/336498/best-plasma-ever-vs-best-lcd-ever-verdict-plasma-wins

From the Sound & Vision article:

Plasma vs. LCD: Round II
A Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma and a Samsung LED-driven LCD
duke it out in this extreme techno-battle of HDTVs.

By Rob Sabin • Photos by Tony Cordoza • February 2008

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/779/plasma-vs-lcd-round-ii.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008 at 01:19 PM by barrister »

Offline Munskie

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #448 on: May 30, 2008 at 01:18 PM »

The results will not be surprising.

Samsung LCD 1080p with LED backlight vs. Pioneer plasma 1080p:

Best Plasma Ever vs. Best LCD Ever
(Verdict: Plasma Wins)

http://gizmodo.com/336498/best-plasma-ever-vs-best-lcd-ever-verdict-plasma-wins

From the Sound & Vision article:

Plasma vs. LCD: Round II
A Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma and a Samsung LED-driven LCD duke it out
in this extreme techno-battle of HDTVs.

By Rob Sabin • Photos by Tony Cordoza • February 2008

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/779/plasma-vs-lcd-round-ii.html

Yan ang tamang shoot-out.   Pinag compare ba naman ang SD na Plasma at Full HD LCD then made a conclusion out it.... ::)

Offline vtec3

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #449 on: May 30, 2008 at 05:50 PM »
Thanks vtec3. I'm almost sold on getting a plasma. 99% ??? I'll take your word for it...tolerable ha? I guess that's true in a way. I've had my 36" tv in my bedroom, close to a window for years and I haven't moved it yet.

Sir, new Plasma now has anti-glare feature. That is why I really do not notice any reflection coming from the window not unless darkscene lahat yung movie which is very seldom. As  you said you did not have that much of a problem with your 36" TV, I am sure lalo na sa mga bagong Plasma  :)